DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Do you think Moraine is the glue that holds the WoT series together?

Artemisia1

I only made it through books 5 or 6 on my first reading (I'm starting over on book 1 right now), but even only this far in, I cannot imagine the series holding together without her. She is obviously (in my opinion) the wisest and most mature of the Aes Sedai and her integrity provides a balance to many of the bickering, power hungry sisters as well as a path for Rand to tread.

Thoughts?

She is integral to the defeat of the shadow.  Without her, Rand wouldn't have stood a chance. She is what the pattern provided to Rand to be the guiding influence to him.  His 'parent' from  a perspective of the One Source.  She had to protect him while he learned his power, influence him until he could control it, then advise him after that.

Having said that, I don't think she is the glue that holds the series together.  I think the 'glue' is Love/principals/values/morals that the Two Rivers folk in particular have in their DNA.  Never give up, always fight evil.  Whether it is stated explicitly or not, all of the main and secondary characters from the Two Rivers live by the same mantra as the Aiel:

“Til shade is gone, 
til water is gone
Into the shadow with teeth bared
Screaming defiance with the last breath
To spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the Last Day.”

22 hours ago, Artemisia1 said:

I only made it through books 5 or 6 on my first reading (I'm starting over on book 1 right now), but even only this far in, I cannot imagine the series holding together without her. She is obviously (in my opinion) the wisest and most mature of the Aes Sedai and her integrity provides a balance to many of the bickering, power hungry sisters as well as a path for Rand to tread.

Thoughts?

On my first read through, Moiraine and Perrin were my favorite characters.  I'm on book 6 of my first re-read and while I wouldnt say she is the glue, I certainly think she is central and integral to the story and characters. The truth of this will be made more than evident later in the series

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Eidrith

I thoroughly agree with Artemia1. Moraine is the female character I most admire in all of English language fiction. She is mature, wise, just, graceful, beautiful, petite, well dressed and everything most fictional characters want to be, and never using her beauty for leverage and never self ambitious. There are too many sexualised female characters in some media forms particularly film. I believe her treatment of Lan is chaste and respectful and regard for his life continuing after hers and having a future with Nynaeve shows maturity and caring.

Moraine runs away from a throne to devote her life to seeking and guiding the Dragon Reborn, which looking back at the last 6-7 thousand years of human history shows a rare quality.

There is no doubt, Moraine sees the whole world as her people, not for them to serve her, but for her to serve them, a true Aes Sedai. 

That said, I see no need to paper over her secrecy, need to know attitude, threats to the boys and girls. She developed into a wise person before jumping into the Elfin world with both feet. Her development is interesting, but the story isn’t about her.

I would say Nynaeve is the glue over the whole arc of the story.

• 5 weeks later...

She might not be the glue, but she’s definitely a weaver. She took it on herself to tie all these strings into one story/adventure. She’ll leave the threads she’s interested in only long enough to drag a few others back into their midst. 

Guest Solomon Tesfay

I’m curious to know if you had read The Fires of Heaven during your initial read through or during your current re-read when you made this comment? I believe her story arc in this book is quite relevant to your point. 

Moiraine is for sure a "key" character, but am not sure about she "holding" the series together.

as far as I recall, she is present in prequel through book 5 then reappears towards the end of book 13 and present in book 14.

if I recall correctly, she is mentioned in at least some of books 6 through 12.

the main character of this series seems to be Rand; present in all of the main books, but only mentioned in the prequel.

if I recall correctly, there is no character that appears in all 15 books.

Edited by mb

On 2/3/2019 at 10:58 PM, 2RiversFan said:

Having said that, I don't think she is the glue that holds the series together.  I think the 'glue' is Love/principals/values/morals that the Two Rivers folk in particular have in their DNA.  Never give up, always fight evil.  Whether it is stated explicitly or not, all of the main and secondary characters from the Two Rivers live by the same mantra as the Aiel:

“Til shade is gone, 
til water is gone
Into the shadow with teeth bared
Screaming defiance with the last breath
To spit in Sightblinder’s eye on the Last Day.”

I think this a great assessment, and the it's the character development and the relationships between the characters that make WoT such an excellent series.

However, I certainly think Moiraine is one of the 10 most essential characters in the books. Even when she is not present, her influence is felt.

Edited by DragonFairy

No deciecedly er decidedly not.

It really is basically just Rand...

Like it's this insane situation and Rands just like ... I think

Like I'm not trying to insult the advisors but just why does Rnad even decide to listen to Mor Mor er

Moiraine etc?

Like I think from the POV of writers perhaps and the characters like that the sages its sorta revovling around

that but what if Rand had just been like

Hey wait what? No I'm cool here, Two Rivers is fine and it's all well...

Like Moiraine is key and the others as well but it's also just like Rand often

just leading the charge here or there.... or just deciding to listen in the first place.

Perrin for example is always like the stalwart inda identifiable homer o ore more or less...

Would he have left if Rand hadn't ? What about Egwene and Nynaeve? It's a few Trollocs.. happens all the time

Destiny and prophecies and all that... does it mean anything to most people? No, I don't htink soo..

Sort of.  Basicly Rand was the only one who mattered, had he made the wrong decisions he would of screwed everyone. 

But Moriane was the one needed to get the ball rolling as they say.  The little he knew of the prophicies was because of her, she might of been wrong on stuff but without her he would of been clueless.   I also have a feeling had he decided to stay Moriane was going to take the three out anyway.  The DO might of been after him so I don't see her simply saying ok fine, have a good life and walking off.

about Rand's knowledge of the Prophecies; all Two Rivers folk seemed to have some idea of the Prophecies before Moiraine arrived.

he seemed to get a clearer understanding of them in book 2.  and he read the actual Prophecies around the beginning of book 4.

On 5/8/2019 at 6:11 AM, Mandien said:

Id have to respectfully say no, the Edmonds fielders are the central thread to the series. 

Yes...

In a practical leve l I'd have to say RJ Is the glue... the one who put a lot or really all of the pieces together from that

POV...