DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gray Ajah Thanksgiving - Traditional Thanksgiving Foods and Foods Around the World

Cairos

Thanksgiving-Table-750x400.jpg

WELCOME TO THE GRAY AJAH THANKSGIVING DINNER PARTY.

We will be sharing our favorite traditional Thanksgiving food and also

foods from around the world. If you don't celebrate Thanksgiving where you are

but have a similar holiday where you have a feast, tell us what foods you eat.

Thanksgiving is about giving Thanks and also about the delicious food!

Please come and share with us. I promise we don't BITE!

Edited by Cairos

My son is not a fan of turkey, the traditional American main course at Thanksgiving, so we have a honey-baked ham.

0000257900002579.jpg.6f063d5cd505713c6662f2c3f078d28f.jpg

We have green beans wrapped in bacon.

Bacon-Green-Bean-Bundles-24.thumb.jpg.4c408fa93c8afe77852c28420e1babb8.jpg

Plus, for my own nostalgia's sake, we have cranberry dressing that comes in the shape of the can. (My mother wasn't an enthusiastic cook, so that was what I grew up with.)

Cranberry_Sauce.jpg.fae1632185cd633540d72376e5e15322.jpg

My wife also makes a Bourbon Chocolate-Chip Pecan pie.

Chocolate_Pecan_Pie.jpg.51cb8f18efe3860cbd2559f11d779a90.jpg

Now I'm all hungry.

My favorite thing, beyond some of the usual traditional stuff you might have, my family does Popovers. It's like a simplified version of Yorkshire Pudding. It's a buttery kind of bread that rises up leaving a hollow center. We fill it with a good spoonful of butter and gravy to melt. Cranberry if that's something you're into as well. 

Best-Popover-Recipe6.jpg

It's one of the best ways to use up gravy outside of mash potato's (which are also godly.. because dutch and potatos are a must. ;))

ours is pretty traditional, turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, rolls. we do vinegar-ed cucumbers too. and of course pumpkin pie. 

sis makes a great cranberry sauce that i usually spread over my roll...man i'm looking forward to that

We have a pretty much traditional thanksgiving but with some additional family favorites. My mom is making a Korean noodle dish called Japchae. It’s a healthy noodle dish with stir fry veggies and sometimes you can add meat. Another dish that my extended family is asking is cream cheese crab dumplings. We do have the turkey, ham, broccoli, corn, sweet potatoes, and cranberry.

My Thanksgiving faves are slow-cook turkey (low temp for long time), squash casserole, mashed potatoes with gravy, and Cheddar Bay Biscuits. We will need another side item but I haven't figured out what that will be this year (I may ask my sister to decide). I've decided to do all the cooking but will be doing most of it at my parents' temporary house since our kitchen is still a construction zone (half of it is still missing the ceiling).

With my dad's health and my mom being so worried about him and trying to keep up with his health issues, I'm taking that strain off her this year although I'm sure she'll find a way to get her hand into the preparation!  Oh, I also have a ham. I prefer turkey but the ham will provide some options . . . and leftovers!

Alas, no pumpkin pie and homemade whipped cream this year. I don't think I'll have time to make the pies along with everything else going on.  And I do love pumpkin pie buried in whipped cream . . .

My wife used to do the low-and-slow method of cooking a turkey. Put it in the oven at around two hundred degrees and let it cook overnight. That would keep it nice and juicy too. Plus I get to wake up to the warm homey smell of cooked turkey, whetting my appetite for the big meal.

On 11/21/2018 at 11:39 AM, Cross said:

hahha ours either. we bake ours in a bag so it essentially steams and is SUPER juicy. 

though i cant say i wouldn’t try that 

We have done that too but the last few years my husband smokes it.

• Elgee locked this topic