DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Does anyone else skip reading about Egwene and the Wonder girls?

ibliazquathe911

I think you answered you own question.

If you haven't read about anyone but Rand,how do you know you don't connect with other characters?

I sometimes have trouble reading the lady chapters, but because of how they are written not because of gender. I have a similar issues with some of Perrin's POV chapters. Nothing matters but Faile...

I enjoy some of the women POV chapters immensely. Others not so much.

I always had the problem of wanting to skip to the next POV I enjoyed the most but never skipping it entirely.  I wonder what that would have been like, only getting a sliver of a picture of the whole story through one person's eyes.  I may need to do that for my next read through.

I read all the words most of the times I read the books. Definitely the first time. Not sure I'd consider a book read if I'd skipped parts of it every time.

I skim the battles now, and bits here and there, but that's after a lot of rereads.

I'm not sure exactly what it means that you skip the girl storylines because you dont like to read about girls. I hope it just means that you're very young and it's something you'll grow out of, because if that applies to everything you read you'll be missing a lot.

But it's your read so...

Only the parts that drag on too long, like the being with the traveling circus parts, or where Egwene is being expecially annoying.  Honestly I skip Perin fretting about wolf dream parts. or EMO Perin and his I have to get faile back, just as much as the wonder girls

You aren't a "big WoT fan" if you haven't actually read the books. You've just skipped around and read certain chapters. If you'd read through once and then skipped the parts that bored you on re-reads, that'd be one thing. But you haven't actually read the books a first time. 

And yes, if you won't read a POV chapter because it's a woman's POV, I'd say you were sexist. Learn how to put yourself in someone else's mindset and you'll be a better person. 

You won't be able to connect with  anyone if you skip all the POV's.  I'm guessing that it took you 2 hours to read the entire series.  First time you read a series you pretty much need to read everything, then rereads you can skip what you don' like.

Edited by Sabio

i never skim,i've never even considered doing it,

having said that,perrin was always my biggest problem regarding povs,

i could barely stand him when he was single,when he married his 

degenerate wife,perrin became an unbearable pathetic whiner.

one could skip his entire story arc from the end of the shadow rising

until the field of merrilor meeting without missing anything.

to be honest,i would gladly balefire their(the "dynamic duo") entire story

out of the wheel of time world if i could.

Edited by jack of shadows

The first time I read the series, I read every word as fast as I possibly could, devouring it.

The next couple of times, I skipped over the bits I didn't like, for example the Egwene Nynaeve and Elayne (also most things to do with the Seanchan).

I'm now on probably my tenth reread, and enjoy 99.9% of the series. Even the bits I don't enjoy I know add value to the story. I would recommend reading everything, don't skip things otherwise you won't get the full picture.

I am a big WOT fan. But to this day I have not read Perrin, Egwene and the wonder girls storylines. I really don't like

to read about girls. Am I a man chauvinist. My first read through I skipped almost everything else and only read

about Rand. I just cant connect to the other characters

I am a veteran of many rereads.  Rand used to be the one I would follow but I read everything in all of the books.  During many later rereads I would skip some of the annoying bath chapters or other chapters of the girls which were full of posturing and drama.  Still on other rereads I would follow Mat and Perrin's arcs more than I did those of Rand.  I feel that in the later half of the series Rand had less of a showing because of all the other POV's as the series grew.  Of course all those chapters were full of important happenings.  It was fun following the arcs of Mat and Perrin even though Perrin lacked confidence or was stubborn about being a blacksmith rather than the leader he was.   

I had trouble reading the chapters with the women and Perrin later on, but because it became obvious by then that RJ was never going to develop most of their personalities, he really didn't seem to know how to write women in most instances, and alot of the later Perrin chapters became him scratching his beard and either being abused by his wife or taking forever to rescue her. I also stopped enjoying Mat after a while because it became clear RJ was never going to develop him further either, unless Tuon counts as development, which is awful. I didn't skip them, though, as you would think you would miss important parts of the story if you did that, but maybe unfortunately, because those chapters were usually so bad, those are the first things that come to mind when I remember the series, and its one of the reasons I haven't touched most of the books in years. 

Edited by WildTaltos

I guess I am a sexist.

Everytime it skip to a POV i dont like it's like a bummer.

It's like going from something really awesome to something mundane and boring.

Something powerful and grand like the character Rand to something that pale in his shadow.

I know it's essential to the story, but know I know how it ends I cant find myself peering back at the POVs i dont enjoy.

I still called myself a big fan of The Wheel of Time even if I have not read the "whole story" I have bits of it and it is enough for me.

And thank you for all of your replies.

Of course not, what is the point of reading a book when I'm skipping whole chapters? Especially when one is told mostly from Egwene's POV (book 13, Egwene's POV has the biggest page count). Or how about CoS? LoC? I don't understand what anyone could possibly get out of reading maybe 200 pages of a 700-page novel...

i never skim,i've never even considered doing it,

having said that,perrin was always my biggest problem regarding povs,

i could barely stand him when he was single,when he married his

degenerate wife,perrin became an unbearable pathetic whiner.

one could skip his entire story arc from the end of the shadow rising

until the field of merrilor meeting without missing anything.

to be honest,i would gladly balefire their(the "dynamic duo") entire story

out of the wheel of time world if i could.

What's wrong with Min? She just seemed like a typical Saldaean woman to me... Perrin was the one who was too "cuddly" for lack of a better word. RJ overplayed the "gentle giant" on him. At least he wasn't like Mat...He supposed to be leery of channeling, but he marries a woman who can learn, and both his childhood girl-friends and his sister have the spark. "Me thinks he doth protest too much."

What's wrong with Min? She just seemed like a typical Saldaean woman to me... Perrin was the one who was too "cuddly" for lack of a better word. RJ overplayed the "gentle giant" on him. At least he wasn't like Mat...He supposed to be leery of channeling, but he marries a woman who can learn, and both his childhood girl-friends and his sister have the spark. "Me thinks he doth protest too much."

I think I slipped because they both serve the same purpose...To be a calming influence to help a highly stressed man stay centered. Remember what Min said about the 3 lies that her aunt says that all women tell their partners?

Plus, RJ himself said that all of the main female characters were based on differing aspects of his wife's personality.

And of course there is something wrong with Min.. she is SUCH a freak (sexually speaking), but then so we're Elayne and Aviendha, so I guess that's why they were able to accept sharing the same man.

I think I slipped because they both serve the same purpose...To be a calming influence to help a highly stressed man stay centered. Remember what Min said about the 3 lies that her aunt says that all women tell their partners?

Plus, RJ himself said that all of the main female characters were based on differing aspects of his wife's personality.

And of course there is something wrong with Min.. she is SUCH a freak (sexually speaking), but then so we're Elayne and Aviendha, so I guess that's why they were able to accept sharing the same man.

Not to turn this into an R rated discussion, but how were any of the three freaks when it came time to sex?  It's not like they decided to share him at the same time.  They basically did the same thing the Aiel do.