DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Does anyone else skip reading about Egwene and the Wonder girls?

ibliazquathe911

I think I slipped because they both serve the same purpose...To be a calming influence to help a highly stressed man stay centered. Remember what Min said about the 3 lies that her aunt says that all women tell their partners?

Plus, RJ himself said that all of the main female characters were based on differing aspects of his wife's personality.

And of course there is something wrong with Min.. she is SUCH a freak (sexually speaking), but then so we're Elayne and Aviendha, so I guess that's why they were able to accept sharing the same man.

Not to turn this into an R rated discussion, but how were any of the three freaks when it came time to sex? It's not like they decided to share him at the same time. They basically did the same thing the Aiel do.

I think I slipped because they both serve the same purpose...To be a calming influence to help a highly stressed man stay centered. Remember what Min said about the 3 lies that her aunt says that all women tell their partners?

Plus, RJ himself said that all of the main female characters were based on differing aspects of his wife's personality.

And of course there is something wrong with Min.. she is SUCH a freak (sexually speaking), but then so we're Elayne and Aviendha, so I guess that's why they were able to accept sharing the same man.

Not to turn this into an R rated discussion, but how were any of the three freaks when it came time to sex? It's not like they decided to share him at the same time. They basically did the same thing the Aiel do.

Yeah, the Aiel did do that type of thing, and they were looked at strangely.

so,rand's three lovers are sexual deviants?damn.let me quote mel brooks

from history of the world part one:'IT'S GOOD TO BE THE DRAGON REBORN.

LOL, Love that movie.

Kesiera,

Yeah but not sure I would consider any of the three girls to be freaky when it came to sex.   The freakiest thing, if you can call it that, was when Rand and her tore each others clothes off the first time. 

Edited by Sabio

The freakiest thing is that, aside from avi, to whom it would be normal, the rest are okily dokily with polygamy, and that's is kinda freaky outside the cultures and cults where it's practiced. It was hella freaky for someone in elayne's social position. And min spends an awful lot of her time obsessing about the angle of her wrists and the outline of her rear and the appropriate way to sit on the dragon's lap just so she can be one of his three main gals and accompany him to almost inevitable insanity and death.

I know it seems normal and fine to a lot of guys and maybe some girls who read these books... but to me, this is one of the most ridiculous subplots in the series. LAN, sure, he might rate a harem, but goofy barely legal crazy rand? Nope, that's just kinda freaky.

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill

I think you hit the nail on the head with the barely legal part. How many high schoolers and young twenty something's end up in love triangles or multiple girls/guys chasing someone. We have so many movies and tv shows about this. The one that jumps quickest to mind is the Fonz from happy days. "Heeay!"

Edited by thehumantrashcan

@thehumantrashcan,

barely legal doesn't apply to rulers,come on,this is not high school drama,

history is full of young rulers,good,bad,deranged and power mad e.g.

elagabalus became a roman emperor at 14,had 3 wives and at least 2 male

lovers,murad iv,became sultan at 11,had many wives and lovers(male and female),

and sired at least 15 children,wladyslaw iii,became king of poland at 10,king of

hungary and croatia at 11,he had no children and did not marry but he was

sexually active,henry viii,became king of england at 17,had 6 wives and 10?

mistresses,two days after his coronation he arrested and executed two of his

father's ministers(at 17!).

comparing to these guys,rand was practically eligible for an elderly home care,

i.e.he claimed callandor at 20,became sexually active at the same age,king of

illian at 21,he reached his political zenith(field of merrilor meeting)at 21.5

All of that is true about child kings being no less competent than adults, but it doesn't apply to Rand because he wasn't raised by noblemen, so he had no leadership training. All of the people you mentioned were destined to become the rulers of their homelands, and they and everyone around then knew it. They'd been in training probably since they were old enough to understand their station in life, and that makes a difference. Moiraine ran from her destiny for those very reasons. She understood, through watching her uncle and hearing her grandmother, exactly being Queen would mean, and she wanted none of it. Can you imagine being trapped in a round of the Game of Houses that lasts 200 or more years? That's at least how long she'd be on the throne unless she abdicated to one of her descendants. Note I didn't say children, because unless some of them can channel, she'll probably outlive even her great-great-great-great grandchildren.

Also in those times, getting married at 14 wasn't uncommon.  Egwene was 16 or 17 yet she was about to be allowed to braid her hair, so it's probably not uncommon in Ranland for a 16 year old to start to be viewed as an adult.  Many places in Europe today at 16, you can do most things an adult can.

Edited by Sabio

kesiera,you misunderstood my post,it wasn't about competency,it was about

legitimacy,our "barely legal" hero was legal enough to have three lovers,in

fact,he was old enough to have as many lovers as he wanted.

for the record,rand was competent enough as a leader,in my opinion,he was

the most competent character in the wheel of time world,sure he made mistakes,

he grew suspicious,arrogant and desperate,but he was also brave,daring,decisive,

innovative and unpredictable.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a big WOT fan. But to this day I have not read Perrin, Egwene and the wonder girls storylines. I really don't like

to read about girls. Am I a man chauvinist. My first read through I skipped almost everything else and only read

about Rand. I just cant connect to the other characters

You know, coming back after skipping the board for a few weeks/months, and reading posts like this, well, maybe it was a mistake to come back. (Ofc, my posts added basically nothing to the site, but I felt important to share them with others.)

Learn how to put yourself in someone else's mindset and you'll be a better person. 

Our personality is almost finished by the time when we are 4-5 yo. (And 6-7 years later our personality is chiselled in stone.)

i never skim,i've never even considered doing it,

having said that,perrin was always my biggest problem regarding povs,

i could barely stand him when he was single,when he married his 

degenerate wife,perrin became an unbearable pathetic whiner.

one could skip his entire story arc from the end of the shadow rising

without missing anything.

to be honest,i would gladly balefire their(the "dynamic duo") entire story

out of the wheel of time world if i could.

Truest words ever spoken.

that RJ was never going to develop most of their personalities

I haven't touched most of the books in years. 

People can change a little, but in real life they don't change at all.

:huh:

I think I slipped because they both serve the same purpose...To be a calming influence to help a highly stressed man stay centered.

Wow.

• 6 months later...

I have the opposite problem - I roll my eyes in a lot of the Mat-centric POVs. "Great, another chapter about walking through mud and woods and him constantly complaining in his head about soldier discipline, the lack of bars around or why everyone else doesn't constantly do as he thinks they should." I found Egwene's POV chapters probably the most interesting ones throughout the series, but most of Rand's were also good. Perrin's were not always very interesting either, but there were parts that were great, and he is an intriguing character (for instance, being a natural dream walker). The chapters I disliked the most though were probably Gawyn's or the sea folk chapters. 

Nah, you have to read the other POVs.  If you don't you miss too much.

I understand it is frustrating.  Huge amounts of the Wonder Girls' POVs could have been significantly compressed.  The whole road trip with the menagerie could have been handled in about 12 pages with no loss of meaning.  ANd the same is true of much of Perrin's search for Faile.  

But you really will miss the 300 important words mixed in amongst those 10,000 words, if you don't read all POVs. (or is it PsOV?)