DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Ultimate Showdown: PART DEUX - GAME OVER, Town Wins

Darthe

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once Upon a Time would be pretty easy to figure out anyways if you've heard of the Brothers Grimm.  And I'm pretty sure you've heard of Jacob at the very least ;)

Ehm "Once Upon a Time" is a usual fairy-tale starter senetnce for me and yes we do call those Grimm-tales in Hungary. What I had no clue is that there was some sort of actual television-series built on it.

Yeah, you probably don't get it in Hungary.  I've seen a couple episodes.  They basically have two story arcs evolving in parallel, a fairy tale and a modern day allegory.  Although they take a lot of liberties.

Also we don't have all those characters, just some of them. And fairy tales are stuff that usually don't really tell you much in a foreign language. Cause you learn all that as a child and they're just ingrained for you with your own language. For instance, I don't have a clue who "Rumpelstiltskin" is and the funny thing is that it's entirely possible that I did hear the hungarian version of that tale, but it has a very different name with very different connotations.

Bedtime stories for children are the best thing ever. Children who are read to read more as adults. It is known.

We have stories and also all these cool little science books. Half hour reading before bed every night.

It was nice re-buying all the books I used to read when I was little.

Bedtime stories for children are the best thing ever.  Children who are read to read more as adults.  It is known.

I find it hard to imagine that there are children who don't get read to. But yea it must be true, especially with all the television and computer and all.

Well, we've got a little tablet thing and the wii ... but erm Educational games lol. Like dr Panda Problem solving and Room on the Broom.

We're off to see The Gruffalo at the theatre this month.

:excited:

I always loved reading and I'm so glad they do too. Actually there is a non uniform day at school tomorrow - but you have to donate an old book. And my eldest don't want to give away any of his books ... even the old baby ones.

Which means I have to donate one of mine lol.

Bedtime stories for children are the best thing ever.  Children who are read to read more as adults.  It is known.

I find it hard to imagine that there are children who don't get read to. But yea it must be true, especially with all the television and computer and all.

There are plenty.  Literacy is not required in begetting progeny.

There are plenty.  Literacy is not required in begetting progeny.

You don't have to be literate to tell bedtime stories for your child though

He's a wretched little imp who can spin straw into gold and wants to steal children.

Doesn't ring a bell and still possible the hungarian version would (if it exists). That's an interesting aspect of these stories.

Well, we've got a little tablet thing and the wii ... but erm Educational games lol. Like dr Panda Problem solving and Room on the Broom.

I always loved reading and I'm so glad they do too. Actually there is a non uniform day at school tomorrow - but you have to donate an old book. And my eldest don't want to give away any of his books ... even the old baby ones.

I heard that in England, Public School means Private School.  Also, I saw you people driving on the other side of the road.

He's a wretched little imp who can spin straw into gold and wants to steal children.

Doesn't ring a bell and still possible the hungarian version would (if it exists). That's an interesting aspect of these stories.

Yeah, well you're in a different language family, so that makes it harder.

I heard that in England, Public School means Private School. Also, I saw you people driving on the other side of the road.

Yes ... you drive on the wrong side.

and we make tea properly

Archived