DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Series Suggestions

thebob101

Just finished reading ToM and I just started reading New Spring. I have also read all of the A Song of Ice and Fire books. I need a new series to read and I am not very familiar with fantasy books (just got into reading fantasy books this past June). Can anyone suggest a few good series that I can read. I need something to hold me over until AMoL comes out. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can never go wrong with re-reading wheel of time, or you could read sword of truth series, or the eragon series (the Inheritance cycle)

Just checked out the website. Is the series really good? I am looking for something along the lines of WoT. I loved the books and want to read something similar. Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Anyone know how the Mistborn series is. I liked Sanderson's work with the last two WoT books.

You can never go wrong with re-reading wheel of time, or you could read sword of truth series, or the eragon series (the Inheritance cycle)

Just checked out the website. Is the series really good? I am looking for something along the lines of WoT. I loved the books and want to read something similar. Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate it.

Anyone know how the Mistborn series is. I liked Sanderson's work with the last two WoT books.

I can't recommend Mistborn enough.

Think most on here will agree, stay away from Sword of Truth. Total WoT rip off and Goodkind is a serious kook. Anyway here are some recs...

R. Scott Bakker "Prince of Nothing Trilogy"

Scott Lynch "Lies of Locke Lamora"

Patrick Rothfuss "Name of the Wind"

Joe Abercrombie "First Law Trilogy"

Steven Erikson "Malazan Book of the Fallen"

Richard Morgan "The Steel Remains"

Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson

A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin

The Dark Tower series by Stephen King

The Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazny

The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss

Otherland by Tad Williams

Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams

Shadowmarch by Tad Williams

Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson

The Chronicles of Dune by Frank Herbert

The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe

First Law Trilogy by Joe Ambercrombie

The Book of All Hours by Hal Duncan

Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake

The Gentleman Bastards Sequence by Scott Lynch

Well, if no-one else will say it, I will: the Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, the Silmarillion.

Also, it's worth checking out China Mieville and Steph Swainston.

Aside from those, you can't go far wrong with Suttree and Kadere's suggestions.

Also, it's worth checking out China Mieville and Steph Swainston.

Mr Ares, where should I start with Swainston? I've have been wanting to check him out...thanks!

Start with Year of Our War, then No Present Like Time, the Modern World and Above the Snowline, in that order.

Codex Alera by Jim Butcher

I picked up the first book one night before bed intending to read just the first chapter

I did not put down the book until I finished reading it sometime in the afternoon the next day

I fell asleep right after I finished it and as soon as I woke up I did the same thing with the second book

then the next day I started the third book which took me 2-3 days to get through

it's a really great series

• 3 weeks later...

Started reading The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Jury is still out. I do hate how polite Richard is and I am not sure I can read all ten books. The writing is not what I expected. I watched the first two episodes of Legend of the Seeker and it was like watching a really bad episode of Xena Warrior Princess. The guy who played the Quad member Fain was horrible. The episodes did not follow anything in the book.

Started reading The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. Jury is still out. I do hate how polite Richard is and I am not sure I can read all ten books. The writing is not what I expected. I watched the first two episodes of Legend of the Seeker and it was like watching a really bad episode of Xena Warrior Princess. The guy who played the Quad member Fain was horrible. The episodes did not follow anything in the book.

You won't find many Goodking fans around these parts. The story is a complete WoT rip off and the guy is a total kook.

You won't find many Goodking fans around these parts. The story is a complete WoT rip off and the guy is a total kook.

Agreed. I read the first book and half of the second of the Sword of Truth. I just couldn't continue. If it was only three books in the series, I may have suffered through just because I hate not finishing something I started, but all THIRTEEN?

Anywho, as for actual suggestions, I'm going to 2nd the recommendation for Jim Butcher's books. The Dresden Files series is a great work of modern fantasy IMO (although the first few books are good, the author gets a lot better from the 3rd-4th book on, and the series really takes off)

Also, another recommendation for the Mistborn series. Or if you want to start an unfinished series by Mr Sanderson, The Way of Kings is the first of his planned 10-book series, and its a great read.

For myself, I'm just about to start the Assassin's Apprentice, by Robin Hobb. I've heard it's a good series to get into too. I guess I'll see :)

Agreed. I read the first book and half of the second of the Sword of Truth. I just couldn't continue. If it was only three books in the series, I may have suffered through just because I hate not finishing something I started, but all THIRTEEN?

Anywho, as for actual suggestions, I'm going to 2nd the recommendation for Jim Butcher's books. The Dresden Files series is a great work of modern fantasy IMO (although the first few books are good, the author gets a lot better from the 3rd-4th book on, and the series really takes off)

Also, another recommendation for the Mistborn series. Or if you want to start an unfinished series by Mr Sanderson, The Way of Kings is the first of his planned 10-book series, and its a great read.

For myself, I'm just about to start the Assassin's Apprentice, by Robin Hobb. I've heard it's a good series to get into too. I guess I'll see :)

I am going to finish reading the first book, but then I think I am done. I read the Mistborn series and I loved it. Great story and great ending. I have The Alloy of Law and I am going to read it after I finish The Wizard's First Rule. How are the other Sanderson books?

I am going to finish reading the first book, but then I think I am done. I read the Mistborn series and I loved it. Great story and great ending. I have The Alloy of Law and I am going to read it after I finish The Wizard's First Rule. How are the other Sanderson books?

From Sanderson, the only other books I've read is the Way of Kings and Warbreaker. I've yet to read Elantris, Alloy of Law, or his other works.

Warbreaker is a great standalone. It's a fun read, not too heavy. As with most of Sanderson's books, there's some very nice twists and reveals in it. I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for a single book to read.

The Way of Kings, the first book in Sanderson's Stormlight Archives (and the only one published currently) is a lot heavier. Multiple character viewpoints and plots, most of which don't resolve during the first book. For this book Sanderson had already completed The Gathering Storm (and I think ToM?), so he had a LOT more experience with writing a LARGE epic story, and it shows. If you don't mind the waiting for the next book that goes with starting a large fantasy series like this before it's finished, then I recommend it as well, as I believe the story has a lot of potential.

Warbreaker is a great standalone. It's a fun read, not too heavy. As with most of Sanderson's books, there's some very nice twists and reveals in it. I'd definitely recommend it if you're looking for a single book to read.

it's a stnad alone right now yes, but he has a sequel planned for it already in the near future. add Elantris to this (which also has a sequel planned ^.^)

I think everything has been covered, but anything by Brandon Sanderson is good. I recently read The Mistborn Trilogy, and totally fell in love with his writing style. Elantris and Warbreaker are really good too. Then there's His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman, Tolkien, Harry Potter, Stephen King (anything by SK is good), The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Death Gate Cycle, The Inheritance Cycle...the list goes on and on. If you try to read all of everyone's suggestions, you'll be good for a while, LOL

Also, anything by Tad Williams is good, but personally I'd give Dune a miss. Very dry and boring, to me. Totally unreadable, I never got thru the first book:-/

Might want to check out Patrick Rothfuss. I am currently reading Butcher's Codex Alera series. It's pretty neat.

I second Rothfuss and Butcher. I've been going through The Kingkiller Chronicles; it's a fine series of books.

I've never read Butcher's Codex Alera, but I have every entry in the Dresden Files series, and I can't recommend it enough. Easy to read, with a surprisingly well fleshed out world and complex characters.

Archived