DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

New Series Suggestions

thebob101

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm.  I don't really mind "slow" generally.  My difficulty with Bakker is that he reminds me of all the learned treatises on the philosophy of law, which I studied for my Master's degree in that subject.  His writing comes across to me as an attempt to make very dull and abstruse philosophical concepts more bearable by turning them into a story.  With predictable results.

But, lots more interesting suggestions.  Thanks, everyone.

If you haven't read Pat Rothfuss, you need to do so. The Name of the Wind and Wise Man's Fear are the two he has out so far, with the third expected soon-ish (I don't think we'll have a Martin-esque wait for it).

I couldn't agree with this more.  These books crawled immediately into my psyche and have taken up root in similar way as WOT, though a much smaller scale.  I write - fication and songs.  Everytime I read or re-read a WOT book, I have many urges to put down the book and write.  In much the same way, when I hear spectacular songwriting (like Mumford or the Avett Bros, for instance), I get the urge to pick up my guitar and write a song.  There were times when I put one of these two books down that I was compelled to create, but inspired in two completely different ways, so I wasn't sure if I wanted to pick up my iPad and write a story, or pick up my Martin and write a song.  This is the first time this has ever happened to me.  It's a very music-centric series (so far, anyway).  I was under the impression the third book would be out sometime this year.

If you're looking more on the sci-fi side of the fence, Scalzi's Old Man's War books are great reads. Anything by Heinlein should be required reading IMNSHO, though I accept there is a lot of criticism leveled at him, some of which is probably deserved.

For an intro to Sci-Fi, there is no better condidate in my mind than Heinlein's Have Space Suit Will Travel - lends itself to a quick read and the science is very basic (and well explained).  Besides, it's just a fun YA story.  Scott Card's Ender's Game would be a close second, though don't read the trilogy that follows with the expectation that it will be an extension of that book - it's not, but a good trilogy in and of itself, and one that would stimulate that inner politic, especially Speaker for the Dead.  My not-quite-11-year-old son is now reading Ender's Game (I wanted to wait because of some of the violence, but since my wife shared Hunger Games with him, I figured I was in the clear).  He's loving it and following along well, though struggling with some of the political parts (ie. Demosthenes and Locke).  I read it pretty young, skipped many of those parts myself and still followed it and hold it as my favorite Sci-Fi STORY of all time (mostly because of it's impact on making me want to become a story teller).  I would read this one before November, actually, because there is what looks to be a good movie of it in post-production starring Han Solo Harrison Ford as the main adult character in the book.  I mean - extreme pre-pubescent lazer tag in zero G?  Sign me up!  If you do undertake this book as a pre-movie adventure, I'd also suggest picking up it's companion novel Ender's Shadow (have not read this myself yet), which follows ansilliary characters parallel to Ender's Game.  From what I understand the movie is an adaptation of both books, telling both Ender's story and Bean's (the main char from Ender's Shadow).

Also, if you want to delve into Sci-Fi cornerstones, Asimov's "Foundation" is the #1 place to start (though my dog's name is Azzie Mauve, so there is some bias there).  I've mostly steered clear of the Robot Series (not by choice, just always something else out there I want to read more), but if you go through the entire 7 (I think) Foundation books, you'll get a bit of that too.

Also, if you want to delve into Sci-Fi cornerstones, Asimov's "Foundation" is the #1 place to start (though my dog's name is Azzie Mauve, so there is some bias there).  I've mostly steered clear of the Robot Series (not by choice, just always something else out there I want to read more), but if you go through the entire 7 (I think) Foundation books, you'll get a bit of that too.

Still have all of my Asimov collection from when I was a schoolboy :)

Thanks for the suggestions, chaps.

I've read bits of A Discovery of Witches and have been toying with the idea of buying it.  I didn't realise that it had a sequel.  I don't generally like "real world" fantasy, and there's only a certain amount of vampire I can stomach before I go off my black pudding.  But on your recommendation, I think I'll add it to my shopping list.

Also like the synopses of the Lev Grossman books. Also added to the list.  Thanks!

I've got quite a few Tom Clancy novels, and I think I've read most of them.  Good, meaty reads, but at the same time you can pick them up, read a couple of pages, and put them down again without losing the plot.  This is important in my profession, as I frequently don't get as much time as I'd like for quality reading.

I love A Song of Ice and Fire, and am impatiently waiting for the next book.

I think you would probably enjoy Raymond Feist's books.  You will want to start with Magician and read through in order to get the back story.. The books you will probably enjoy the most though, are the Empire Trilogy, which takes place after the first 3 starting with Magician.

So, WoT is over, quite dissapointed with the end, would like a new world to immerse myself in. Wondering if any of you fine Ladies and Gentlemen could help me, notes:

1. WoT is probably my favourite series barring the final book.

2. I disliked Sword of Truth for being one dimensional lackiong depth. I disliked A song of Ice and Fire for being without any hope and overall rather gruesome.

3. I've enjoyed Patrick Rothfuss' work and all of Brandon Sanderson's other books (except Alcatrez). I liked some of Trude Canavan's stuff, though am really looking for somethign with more depth ATM. I liked Brent Weeks but found his work overly gritty in places.

4. I'm prefably looking for something big, not just 2 or 3 books.

5. I don't want something that will never be finished.

6. I would like to read about at least some likeable characters with decent quality dialogue and description, I would like to read something that at some point involves politicing and large armies but also involves very personal stuff. Prefably I'd like a battle between good and evil, though it would hopefully invovle several shades of grey. (I know, I've just described WoT...)

Any help available?

How about Jim Butcher's the Dresden Files?

Granted, the series has not finished yet, so it can fall to "something that will never be finished" if something is happening to Butcher, but that is the same case with all fantasy series not yet finished ;)

Edit: also, Steven Brust's Vlad Taltos series (it also has not finished yet...)

Give Dorothy Dunnett a try.  Start with her Lymond series.  It's set in the time of Mary, Queen of Scots and takes a romp through the courts of Europe.  One moment they're speaking English, then a line of French, moments later a few words of Latin or Italian or something else.  There are six books in the series and all have titles and chapters referencing a chess game.

I know it's historical fiction and not just fantasy, but it will be a good change of pace before tackling something else in the same fantasy genre.

Dresden Files is a series mixing detective and supranatural phenomena. The fantasy elements get stronger in later books. You'll have holy knights, fallen knights/demonic knights, angels and faeries, and of course wizards and vampires. Its setting is in modern Chicago, with some addition of faerie realm. An urban fantasy.

Vlad Taltos is more high fantasy-ish. While the main character is an assassin, the setting is in a fantasy realm.

Both are satisfying, imho, since both mix magic, politics and strong character buildings in their novels. Try wiki them, and see if the descriptions fit your taste :)

any thoughts on Runelords series? so far reached to book 5 loved the first 3 books its not an easy book to swallow IMO but interesting read...

also for those who want something long then might like the Drizzt files of the Forgotten realms there like 16 books or so cant remember gave myself a break from it after reaching book 8...

as for something short then surprised no one mentioned The Riyria Revelations i kinda loved it has just 3 long books in it..as well as the Mistborn series... 

HeirOfNovron.jpg

Well I've given the Dresden Files something of a try as the clearest reccomendation I've been given here. I've currently ground to a halt in book 5, put off by several things. The writing style, the prose seems so bad that I just want to skim at times. The setting is interesting, but even though things are developing and moving the plot largely seems dry and often very flat and somewhat repetitive. The main character is a complete idiot more than half the time in a "surely no one could be that stupid" kind of way despite all the stuff about how he's meant to be wise and it's just rather off putting, I'm confused that the series could be as popular as it is.

Has anyone got anything better written to suggest? Having the Dresden Files as my new Fantasy series as I try to move on from tWoT is like eating McDonalds when you're looking for a 5 star restaurant...

Well I've given the Dresden Files something of a try as the clearest reccomendation I've been given here. I've currently ground to a halt in book 5, put off by several things. The writing style, the prose seems so bad that I just want to skim at times. The setting is interesting, but even though things are developing and moving the plot largely seems dry and often very flat and somewhat repetitive. The main character is a complete idiot more than half the time in a "surely no one could be that stupid" kind of way despite all the stuff about how he's meant to be wise and it's just rather off putting, I'm confused that the series could be as popular as it is.

Has anyone got anything better written to suggest? Having the Dresden Files as my new Fantasy series as I try to move on from tWoT is like eating McDonalds when you're looking for a 5 star restaurant...

I have to give a big thumbs up to Steven Erikson's Malazan series (10 books in print). He built a massive world with hundreds of characters with a lot of brutality but threaded through with compassion for humanity. I love his writing style. Barclay's Chronicles of the Raven and Legends of the Raven. Adrian Tchaikovsky's Shadows of the Apt series. All of these are British authors, very satisfing fantasy reads and very popular. The Dresden files is a fun read but not epic fantasy. It is light urban fantasy. Two other fun urban fantasy authors are Ben Aaronovitch and Kevin Hearne. RJ was unique.

Guest DeoreDX

Lots of good suggestions but thought I would throw in a few series that I enjoyed but haven't been mentioned as much as some of the more widely popular series (Rothfus, Erikson, Martin, etc).

Lois McMaster Bujold: Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls are both top notch books. Curse of Chalion is $0.99 in Kindle right now and is a must buy at that price. There is a 3rd book in this "series" but I have not read it yet. The first two are top notch. It's not epic fantasy series type stuff where it is a continuation of a large story, but each book contains it's own story set in the same world with an intermingling of some of the characters.

Joe Abercrombie: I know many people have mentioned these book but I must say this is one of the few books I would say the Audio book narrated by Stephen Pacey is better than the book. Pacey does an outstanding job with the narration and is a must listen for Fantasy Audible users. Unfortunatly a couple of the books are not available in the US with Stephan Pacey narration, but are available in the UK.

Guy Gavriel Kay: Fionivar tapestry, good series. Tigana, fantastic book. Lions of al-Rassan, another good read. The Sarantine Mosaic series of two books is also a good read but not exactly high fantasy. More like political intrigue set in the renaissance.

Katharine Kerr: Her writing style might take some getting used too as she is heavily influenced by celtic (gaelic?) background but her Deverry cycle was quite entertaining and different. (10 books) Similar to the Wheel, her world involves a lot of life death and rebirth as we follow the main characters in the "present" time and in their past lives as we read and begin to see how each of the main character's souls intertwine with each other over the years to form a tapestry. Throughout the books you are reading many small stories woven together to form in the end a much larger story. I find the scale of the story is an interesting contrast as many of the large battles involves forces of 200-300 men. Often a landowner would have 20-30 fighting men and getting an extra 4-5 men could really swing the balance of power at that scale. It seemed like a much more realistic scale than many of the multi tens of thousands of troops we see in battles like in WoT.

I'm only moderately experienced with fantasy and I'm going I b and n tonight and I need a new series for after I read memory.

Here is what I have learned I like.

My favorite series is the sword of truth. I like the main characters and the whole, they almost lose many times, though they usually win. Also the narrower focus on a few characters I like more.

I like long series

I like WoT. I like most of the story arc and I mostly like the world created. It is my favorite world. The only reason it isn't my first is the women are in it too much, I don't like them, I don't really like Perrin because he can be a bitch, but I like the world and the fact that generally the good guys win.

I like complex worlds, maybe especially if there are veiled References to them being ours but in the far future or mysterious past.

I like LotR

Here is my OK:

Shannara. It's good but too trite, not creative enough and I KNOW the characters will win. No suspense. Also the way they are broken into different series is all over the place, I like chronology.

Ice and fire: it's great when it's good but too much jumping around to different characters, if there is a character I like I may be just getting into him and they switch and it may be another book until he's back. Or they will probably kill them off. Too much: good guys losing and characters that are either bad or neutral(jaime) winning and....then losing lol.

Hated:

Malazon(?). What did I start, gardens of the moon? Hated it. Are there any good guys? And they just dropped tons of strange words like I'm supposed to know what they are talking about.

I definitely won't mind weird, but didn't like that book.

And lastly there was some series I read about a guy that grew up to be a professional torturer and while that bothers me the books were absolutely amazing and the world great. Just hard to root for a torturer as in my mind that is the worst thing you can do. Wish I could

Remember the name.

So I guess outside of LotR I don't want classic fantasy lie Shabbats erenits just a Tolkien ripoff with elves and dwarfs and such.

Brent Weeks - Night Angel Trilogy (Lots of gore)

Brent Weeks - Lightbringer Series

Peter V Brett - Demon Cycle Series

Jim Butcher - Dresden Files ( It took me until book 6 to really start likeing the characters)

Jim Butcher - Codex Alera

L.E Modesitt - Imager Portfolio

Guy Graviel Kay - Under Heaven (haven't read the others)

Patrick Rothfuss - Kingkiller chronicles

• 2 months later...

I'm about 3/4 of the way finished A Memory of Light, and I'm a little bit afraid.  What's going to happen when I finally finish it? This series has been part of my life for so long! Break time at work, I duck off into an empty unused room, and I leave this planet for the duration of my break and exist alongside the characters in the Wheel of Time, enjoying the story moment by moment along with the authors and thousands of other readers.  On the bus, my body exists on the bus, but my mind is in a fantasy world.  What will I do now?

Can someone suggest some other fantasy series that are as encompassing as this one? It doesn't seem like there could ever be one, but I'm sure there must be.  It's like when you're in love and you get your heart broken, you think that you could never feel this way for someone else, and you never really do, but you do feel just as strongly for someone else, and have just as horrible of feelings, in a different kind of way.  Maybe it could be like that with this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Archived