DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Thom and the Myrddral

dalic

Yea, seems he should be younger. The lone possibility would be, that the thing where he'd be able to channel was rare for him, though it seems that people who can channel will channel, whether they want to or not.

I reread the passage, and it said an eye-searing blue flash. It doesn't sound like the blades meeting flashes. But what makes an eye-searing blue flash?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea' date=' seems he should be younger. The lone possibility would be, that the thing where he'd be able to channel was rare for him, though it seems that people who can channel will channel, whether they want to or not.

I reread the passage, and it said an eye-searing blue flash. It doesn't sound like the blades meeting flashes. But what makes an eye-searing blue flash?[/quote']

His one power wrought blades meeting a Fade's Thakan'dar blade?

J

Guest cwestervelt

Maybe he had some flash powder in his bag of Gleeman's tricks. Thom's daggers aren't supposed to have had nothing to do with the flashes.

http://www.dromen-demonen.nl/luitingh_htdocs/transjordan.html

[Malivar> If a Fades blade will not produce lighting except against other Thakandar wrought blades, and power-wrought blades, Why do Thom's daggers produce it when he attacks the Fade at Whitebridge?

[@R-JORDAN> thoms daggers did not produce the effect. It was produced before thom reached the fade.

That's what I meant, CW. Jordan contradicts himself on the blue flash in Whitebridge.

NY, NY: why was there a blue light flashing when Thom met the fade in whitebridge?

Robert Jordan: Because Thom's best knives are very special indeed.

So which is it? Was the flash before Thom got there, or did his knives produce it?

But had it been Rand, something would have been written about him doing it. Besides, I don't remember very well, but didn't it say that the flash was seen indirectly. Male channelers subconciously feel the requirement to see where they are channeling, so it couldn't have been Rand. I'm stickin with Thom channeling or somehow getting explosives.

• 1 year later...

I have always thought there was a possibilty that Thom could channel and that is what he did to stop the Myrddral.  Remember his nephew could channel, so why not him?  I just think he doesn't touch the power unless absolutely necessary - whether he knows it or not, so he has really not been affected by the taint.   

There is also a seen later in the books - where he and Tuon's lady servant - Selucia (sp?) - fight some others outside a "Hell" and they both surprise each other with what they do in the fight - but they agree to keep each other's secret.  Did someone channel then? hmmmm

Okay,

1) Those were indeed Thom's best knives. He actually used his second best knives in Shadar Logoth when he threw them at the Trollocs. (EotW, paperback 304, Dust on the Wind

2) There is also a blue flash that occurs when Lan has to face the Myrdraal just before they head to Shadar Logoth. (EotW, paperback 265, Caemlyn Road

I don't know that Thom would want anything to do with the OP or Aes Sedai after what they did to Owen. But obviously he doesn't want to use his best knives for some reason. Now this could just be because they are better than the others, and can't be replaced as easily. Or not, I don't know.

• 2 weeks later...

It is Thom that keeps Selucia secert, he say something like:

I'm an old man and sometimes I see thing that dont actuelle happen, but lukkelig I quikly forgets it again.

He is refering to the fact that Selucia is Tuons secert boydyguard and a vary able figther.

All I can add to this is that RJ stated at DragonCon2005 that he knew both why Thom survived the encounter with the Myrdraal, and why he survived the injury he recieved from the Myrdraal's blade, which should have poisoned him, but that he would not reveal those reasons.

Before anyone says "He was court bard to Morgase etc etc" I know the history that we are given for Thom, but I have a question;

Who is he? Who WAS he?

I'm not naive enough to believe that the very sketchy history is everything there is to know about Thom, and I'm sure i'm not the only one. I havent read book 11 yet so please dont spoil anything apart from the answer to this question if its' in there!!

Thanks

Guest cwestervelt

Thom isn't anything other than he what he appears to be.

The way you made your statement, it sounds like you are suspecting a Hero of the Horn.  Sorry, but that is unlikely.

Guest cwestervelt

Nope.  What you see is what you get.  We probably have about as complete a back history for Thom as we do for anyone.  More complete than many of the characters.

Do we know anything about Thom before he began working for House Trakand?  He was apparently known in Cairhien.  He had to have been at least in his middle years (or later) already when Elayne was born. 

So what did he do for the first half (or more) of his life?

Incidentally, I know Thom earned his limp from the skirmish with the Fade at Whitebridge, but do we know he was injured by the blade?  There's any number of ways to gain a limp after a fight for your life after all and if Thom was cut or stabbed with the blade he would be dead or healed by the power which shouldn't have left a limp.

Archived