DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Combined AMoL

Ian Nag

I remember that some time ago (shortly after the decision to split AMoL into three books), Brandon mentioned on his blog that he intended to push for a combined set of the three books to be released at some point (but not with any re-arranging of chapters; just a box set of the three books or something like that).  I think he said this because he was still thinking in terms of Jordan intending for AMoL to be one single book.  (In fact, they were originally going to give all three books the title A Memory of Light, with a subtitle for each book.  If I recall correctly, the titles would have been something like A Memory of Light: Gathering Clouds, A Memory of Light: Shifting Winds, and A Memory of Light: Tarmon Gaidon.) 

But I doubt now that the three books will be released as a set, or that Brandon would push for that.  I get the sense that over time, Brandon accepted that even Jordan himself never would have succeeded in finishing the series with one more book, and so he doesn't feel the obligation to try to combine the last three volumes somehow.  That's my take based on what Brandon has posted on his blog over the past several years, but I could be wrong.

Personally, I think it would be nice to have a re-edited version of TGS+ToM, that keeps all of the characters' timelines in sync (mainly by moving many of Perrin's chapters earlier, into TGS).

I get the sense that over time, Brandon accepted that even Jordan himself never would have succeeded in finishing the series with one more book, and so he doesn't feel the obligation to try to combine the last three volumes somehow. That's my take based on what Brandon has posted on his blog over the past several years, but I could be wrong.

On the contrary. With all the structural issues, filler and poor use of space that came from having split the books it has been shown conclusively that RJ(and Brandon for that matter who argued against the split initially)were correct in that it should have been one book. They could have split it into two say WH size volumes and it would have been a much stronger work overall.

Best will in the world - in what world does Peter Jackson cut stuff out?  He's managed to turn a short book into a (approximately) 9 hour movie! 

I'd go with Joss Whedon, I think he's one of the best directors at managing multiple main characters and I still think Firefly is one of the best TV shows made (even outside of its genre), and Avengers shows he can do big-budget movies.

Best will in the world - in what world does Peter Jackson cut stuff out?  He's managed to turn a short book into a (approximately) 9 hour movie! 

Because he (supposedly) added a tonne of appendix stuff. Still haven't gotten round to watching it though.

Plus, he cut a fair bit out of LotR, though he added a few things in. But yeah, LotR is one book that is roughly the size of tSR or any single, large WoT book. And that was 12 hours. With stuff cut out.  :tongue:

PS Not that I don't want a film. The nature of WoT makes it highly appealing for the big screen. I just hope Universal/Red Eagle/Whatever make a decent EotW.

Not a spoiler, just heading off-topic

LotR was wonderful (overall - I can just about forgive the assasination of Faramir's character, just about), but his big films since then (King Kong and the Hobbit) have needed editing (I think some of the stuff in the Hobbit was from the Silmarrilion, but I haven't read that one so I'm not sure, tonally I'm not convinced they fit together, but I think it could have been a great film on it's own, just not interspersed in the Hobbit, but you should go see it, it was good). 

I do think Joss Whedon would be a good choice simply because he deals with characters well, and I think he's be able to edit.  Although I'd go with Guillermo del Torro for tDR and tGS as he does horror/fantasy mixes extremely well.

I'm afraid WoT will never be made into films, its just to long! One page of script is roughly equal to one minute of screen time. Using the Fellowship of the Ring as an example: the final script was 118 pages long, whilst the film time was 228 minutes!

Thats a pretty staggering increase on the script to screentime ratio, I should imagine it would be even greater for WoT.

I mean I would love to see the series in film medium, but I'm fraid no one will take the project on let alone get funding for it!

What do you all think?

PUBLISH EVERYTHING!

There are deleted scenes (ACOS - Sanderson mentioned somewhere), extensive notes: 10000 pages! 

PUBLISH EVERYTHING!

And what I really want: a LONG book by Harriet about Robert Jordan (his life: 200-300 pages, his writing methodand his life in the shade of WOT: 150-200 pages +  the most interesting stuffs from interviews: 500 pages)  

Just use the DRM free ebooks, Sigil, and Calibre and use this: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0ApFWTyzG9G_UdHZCUjQzVGNLeUJyMkUycXkzQlExSFE&output=html

It took me maybe 5 hours but definitely worth it, the book is much better with TGS and TOM synced up.

That's a very interesting idea -- re-ordering the chapters of TGS and ToM to put them in chronological order.  I don't have the patience or the time to spend five hours doing this myself, and I don't read e-books anyway.  But I would love it if Tor at some point would release "The Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight - Remixed," with the chapters reordered chronologically.  I would buy it.

Just use the DRM free ebooks, Sigil, and Calibre and use this: https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0ApFWTyzG9G_UdHZCUjQzVGNLeUJyMkUycXkzQlExSFE&output=html

It took me maybe 5 hours but definitely worth it, the book is much better with TGS and TOM synced up.

That's a very interesting idea -- re-ordering the chapters of TGS and ToM to put them in chronological order.  I don't have the patience or the time to spend five hours doing this myself, and I don't read e-books anyway.  But I would love it if Tor at some point would release "The Gathering Storm and Towers of Midnight - Remixed," with the chapters reordered chronologically.  I would buy it.

JustCharlie; Thank you very much for providing the link to that spreadsheet. I have downloaded that timeline onto my computer and I will use it the next time that I do a full re-read of the WOT series. Thank you.

LotR was wonderful (overall - I can just about forgive the assasination of Faramir's character, just about), but his big films since then (King Kong and the Hobbit) have needed editing (I think some of the stuff in the Hobbit was from the Silmarrilion, but I haven't read that one so I'm not sure, tonally I'm not convinced they fit together, but I think it could have been a great film on it's own, just not interspersed in the Hobbit, but you should go see it, it was good). 

I do think Joss Whedon would be a good choice simply because he deals with characters well, and I think he's be able to edit.  Although I'd go with Guillermo del Torro for tDR and tGS as he does horror/fantasy mixes extremely well.

Off-Topis as well:

I definitely think WoT should be made into movies or at the very least a TV show (a tv show is more likely to happen in my opinion but I favour a movie). I think it can be done in 5-6 movie. At this time you probably think I'm crazy because how can 15 books be turned into 5-6 movies? One of the amazing things about WoT is that Robert Jordan loved to be very very descriptive and so much of the book is just what people are thinking or analyzing about different situations. Chapters will go by in the book that can be done in a movie in only a couple minutes. While the creators of a WoT series of movies will have be absolution amazing to give the movie even a small glimpse of the depth that the books have. 

I am very interested in how the movie would show the Aes Sedai's weaves and any battles with the one power. I think these could be amazing scenes and would set this movie series apart from almost any other movie out there.  

I definitely think WoT should be made into movies or at the very least a TV show (a tv show is more likely to happen in my opinion but I favour a movie). I think it can be done in 5-6 movie. At this time you probably think I'm crazy because how can 15 books be turned into 5-6 movies? One of the amazing things about WoT is that Robert Jordan loved to be very very descriptive and so much of the book is just what people are thinking or analyzing about different situations. Chapters will go by in the book that can be done in a movie in only a couple minutes. While the creators of a WoT series of movies will have be absolution amazing to give the movie even a small glimpse of the depth that the books have.

Personally, I don't think WOT would be very effective in a visual medium for that very reason.  The internal descriptions are often critical to the understanding of the scene.

For example,

Mat speaking the Old Tongue without realizing it.

Rand's nausea upon seizing saidin in the later books.

LTT seizing saidin from Rand in KOD.

Rand finding and channeling the True Power in TGS.

They weren't from the Silmarillion. They were from the appendices in The Hobbit and LotR, as WB don't have the rights to the Silmarrilion. 'Tis why Jackson nearly got in trouble for a few things he mentioned in The Hobbit (I think it was related to the 'blue wizards').

They weren't from the Silmarillion. They were from the appendices in The Hobbit and LotR, as WB don't have the rights to the Silmarrilion. 'Tis why Jackson nearly got in trouble for a few things he mentioned in The Hobbit (I think it was related to the 'blue wizards').

Thanks, I thought I'd read the appendices and didn't remember any of the Necromancer stuff, at some stage I'll read them again, but at the moment they're at the bottom of a large pile of books :)  I still don't think the Necromancer stuff fits tonally with the Hobbit and would have been better as a separate movie but I didn't mind some of the other additions, the background of the dwarves was great.

I would love to see all three books reintegrated into one in chronological order (if two plots are completely unrelated I don't mind some minor shuffling in order to keep the pace good). I'll at least settle for a chronological re-ordering of Towers of Midnight.

Archived