DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask Simple questions, get simple answers (aMoL version covering the entire series)

Barid Bel Medar

I found one more. The "familiar drawling accent" gives away it is a Seanchan woman.

Crossroads of Twilight

Chapter 20

"She was struggling up a narrow, rocky path along the face of a towering cliff. Clouds surrounded her, hiding the ground below and the crest above, yet she knew that both were very far away. [...] Abruptly, the ledge dropped away from under her with the crack of crumbling stone, and she caught frantically at the cliff, fingers scrabbling to find a hold. [...] Suddenly a woman appeared, clambering down the sheer side of the cliff out of the clouds, making her way as deftly as if she were walking down stairs. There was a sword strapped to her back. Her face wavered, never settling clearly, but the sword seemed as solid as the stone. The woman reached Egwene's level and held out one hand. "We can reach the top together," she said in a familiar drawling accent."

Thanks!  I had forgotten this one too, but it sounds very familiar now that I read it.  This one sheds even more light on Leilwin and Egwene, to the point that Leilwin's role in AMoL makes much more sense to me now.

Thanks again to all who replied to my question.

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do we know if juilin survived the last battle?

I know Hurin died and several others but I can't recall a mention of him.

Thanks in advance!

My recollection is that we never read about Juilin dying, but that we also don't see him alive after the Last Battle ends.  So I would assume that he survived, but I guess we don't know for sure.  (I welcome corrections from others in case I am remembering incorrectly.)

Regardijng Julian, I think that there is a reference somewhere that he did survive.

As for the turning issue, if it is a form of compulsion then since it relates solely to a person's ability to channel, why wouldn't stilling/gentling break the hold placed on the victim. If, on the other hand, it is something like what happens when a Drachar (sp?) attacks a non-channeler, then gentling/stilling would  only result in the victim falling down dead. At least I think that that is what would result if you killed off the parasite which had taken over the victim's body.  

Frankly, I hope that "turning"  turns out to be a form of super compulsion (needing 13X13 to accomplish the task..Otherwise,Greandal, Rahvin and others would have been able to go around and simply "turn" channelrs any time they wished) because it seems so unfair that people get turned against their will with no chance to escape.

Here's a question that's been bothering me for a while...How many Aes Sedai are left? We started out the series with something around 900 full Aes Sedai and have been losing them steadily throughout with only a few additions.  Then In TGS it's revealed that there are about two hundred or so who are BA. Next in the last battle we lose 120 to the initial Sharan attack and then numerous ones in the LB. So, two questions arise, Frist, how many were actually killed/compelled/lost (Burning out won't count anymore because of Nyneave and Flinn..which should make Annoura very happy) during TG and  how many are there subsequent to TG? 

Anyway you look at it, Cadsuane shouldn't be able to reverse Egwene's loosening of the rules for accepting initiates to the Tower simply because she'll need the numbers they represent. 

I'd have asked this question in the General Folder, but the losses at TG contain too many spoliers. sorry 'bout that.

There were 1200 AS at the time of NS. Not sure the number now and frankly given how much was off in AmoL not sure it would help all that much in us figuring it. Said it in another thread but Mastar Ablar is good with that stuff. Maybe he has a guesstimate.

Also burning out certainly still counts, seeing as how it most likely can't be healed.

As for Cads, why would she want to reverse that reform? Surely she of all people can see the value in it especially given numbers were dwindling even before the LB.

,Mr. Ares,I guess we're just going to have agree to disagree. I think  your point regarding Mr. Sanderson and other authors is an almost complete non sequitar. You think my "possible explanation" for Mr. Sanderson's failure isn't sensible. Whatever.

However, just to be clear, I will reinterate, once again, that I wasn't excusing the mistakes he made, just offering a "possible " reason why. 

Frankly,. I'm just glad that we have something to grouse about.

Your explanation is a non sequitur, and you've yet to explain how it might have explained anything. Having military experience and writing about battles are not the same skill, so a deficiency in one area cannot be explained by the other. That's why I called it an excuse rather than an explanation.

(Burning out won't count anymore because of Nyneave and Flinn..which should make Annoura very happy)

Remember that burning out is not the same as stilling, and as of the end of the series no-one has been Healed from being burnt out.

Here is another question that I had after reading AMoL, and that I haven't seen answered (though it probably has been discussed somewhere):

How and when did Rand discover the following two facts about Callandor:

1. Callandor is also a sa'angreal for the True Power (i.e., the Dark One's power).
  2. Any man using Callandor is vulnerable to someone taking control, if he directs the flows.

I thought that in an earlier book, Rand had discovered that Callandor had some kind of flaw, and that because of the flaw, a woman had to direct the flows.  But I thought the previous book mentioned that the flaw was just that Callandor didn't have a buffer, and that it was unpredictable (such as when Rand used Callandor to call down lightning against the Seanchan in TPoD, and the lightning fell just as much on Rand's own army).  I don't remember the previous books mentioning that Callandor is a sa'angreal for the True Power, or that a man using Callandor is vulnerable to someone taking control. 

Were these facts mentioned in the previous books?  If not, how did Rand learn these facts?  If I remember correctly, the text in AMoL just suddenly says something like, "Rand now knew that Callandor was a sa'angreal for the True Power as well as for saidin . . . ," with no explanation of how or when Rand discovered this.

There's a bit about Callandor before they go into the cave, but TP saangreal not mentioned there. Before that, it was just something Cads read, then it spends time with her unknown friends.

Beyond that it's some of BS' the mains have to do everything writing sinkhole.

Were these facts mentioned in the previous books?  If not, how did Rand learn these facts?  If I remember correctly, the text in AMoL just suddenly says something like, "Rand now knew that Callandor was a sa'angreal for the True Power as well as for saidin . . . ," with no explanation of how or when Rand discovered this.

Min discovered it in her studies.  Right before Rand uses it to take over Moridin, there's one sentence which goes "Min had figured it out.  Callandor had such flaws" (then he goes and describes them).

It's not a "mains does everything" as much as it is that the one sentence gets completely buried in the revelations about what Callandor is.  Min has been studying the Dragon prophecies in general (and Callandor in particular) for several books, so it's not out of nowhere that she figured it out.  But in order to keep the reader unaware as to what exactly Rand's plan was, all of her discoveries about the flaws (and passing that information to Rand) happen off-screen.

Aludra said time and time again that she wanted an opportunity to use her Dragons against the Seachans, in revenge for destroying her Guild, however I was surprised that she seemed to have forgotten this need for revenge at the last battle.  Considering how petty a lot of the other characters seemed to be even with such a big battle looming I am surprised that she seemed happy to just accept that the Seachans were now on her side!  Or did I miss something?

Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but I'm curious as to whether we know if RJ had always intended to give Lan POVs in the final three books, or whether this was a decision by BS and Harriet?  On the one hand, it seems like who else could have had the POVs neccessary to tell his arc, but on the other it seems like a coincidence that RJ chose not to give him any POVs throughout the rest of the series and he only gets POVs after the author change.

Aludra said time and time again that she wanted an opportunity to use her Dragons against the Seachans, in revenge for destroying her Guild, however I was surprised that she seemed to have forgotten this need for revenge at the last battle.  Considering how petty a lot of the other characters seemed to be even with such a big battle looming I am surprised that she seemed happy to just accept that the Seachans were now on her side!  Or did I miss something?

I think it was because she (like everybody) was fighting a greater and stronger enemy; the DO and Demandred. Maybe she will fight Seanchan again after aMoL :)

There's a bit about Callandor before they go into the cave, but TP saangreal not mentioned there. Before that, it was just something Cads read, then it spends time with her unknown friends.

Min discovered it in her studies.  Right before Rand uses it to take over Moridin, there's one sentence which goes "Min had figured it out.  Callandor had such flaws" (then he goes and describes them).

It's not a "mains does everything" as much as it is that the one sentence gets completely buried in the revelations about what Callandor is.  Min has been studying the Dragon prophecies in general (and Callandor in particular) for several books, so it's not out of nowhere that she figured it out.  But in order to keep the reader unaware as to what exactly Rand's plan was, all of her discoveries about the flaws (and passing that information to Rand) happen off-screen.

Thanks for the replies.  So it sounds like I was right, that this information was basically dumped on the reader rather suddenly.  That is the impression that I got, but I thought that maybe I had missed something or forgotten something.

Thanks for the replies.  So it sounds like I was right, that this information was basically dumped on the reader rather suddenly.  That is the impression that I got, but I thought that maybe I had missed something or forgotten something.

To be fair it was set up in earlier books. We know Min was studying the problem and found the flaw and Rand specifically requested that she find something "vital" for him.

To be fair it was set up in earlier books. We know Min was studying the problem and found the flaw and Rand specifically requested that she find something "vital" for him.

Oh, yes, I am aware of that.  But it still felt to me like the information was dumped on the reader quite suddenly.  I think that perhaps it would have been better if the text had been more explicit that these relevations about Callandor were the fruit of Min's research, or if the revelations had been foreshadowed a bit (e.g., Min tells Rand that she has found out something important about Callandor, but we don't find out what it is until later in the book).

Oh, yes, I am aware of that.  But it still felt to me like the information was dumped on the reader quite suddenly.  I think that perhaps it would have been better if the text had been more explicit that these relevations about Callandor were the fruit of Min's research, or if the revelations had been foreshadowed a bit (e.g., Min tells Rand that she has found out something important about Callandor, but we don't find out what it is until later in the book).

Even a passing scene with Min discussing something with Rand.  To me, this was a vital part of the Last Battle that had been foreshadowed in the previous books, but we are left with an off screen transfer of the information.

Heck, BS could have worked in like...

As Avi approached Rand's tent, she felt a surge of excitement and weight lifted off of Rand through the bond.  Min exited the tent right as Avi pulled open the flap.

Even a passing scene with Min discussing something with Rand.  To me, this was a vital part of the Last Battle that had been foreshadowed in the previous books, but we are left with an off screen transfer of the information.

As Avi approached Rand's tent, she felt a surge of excitement and weight lifted off of Rand through the bond.  Min exited the tent right as Avi pulled open the flap.

I agree.  That would have been another way to handle the revelation better, in my opinion.

I agree.  That would have been another way to handle the revelation better, in my opinion.

Or just the surge of excitement and a figure slipping out of the tent.  I think this was purposefully left out so the reader wouldn't know until the last minute that their was a plan in order to build up suspense.

Regarding Hinderstrap(sp?) in The Gathering Storm and their role in A Memory of Light, do we know if these were...

1.  Robert Jordan written?

2.  In the notes, but Brandon fleshed them out?

3.  All Brandon?

i suspect that they were all Brandon.  I thought I read an interview in which Brandon said that the Hinderstap episode was added to TGS after Harriet told Brandon that he needed to make the book more spooky somehow.  Perhaps someone can confirm this with an exact quote or a link.

Regarding Hinderstrap(sp?) in The Gathering Storm and their role in A Memory of Light, do we know if these were...

1.  Robert Jordan written?

2.  In the notes, but Brandon fleshed them out?

3.  All Brandon?

i suspect that they were all Brandon.  I thought I read an interview in which Brandon said that the Hinderstap episode was added to TGS after Harriet told Brandon that he needed to make the book more spooky somehow.  Perhaps someone can confirm this with an exact quote or a link.

100% Brandon invention, here is the quote...

Interview: Jan 10th, 2013
Dayton Q&A (Verbatim)
Question
Where did the idea for the zombies come from?
Brandon Sanderson

Are you speaking of Hinderstap? (Questioner explains further.) ...Yes you're speaking of Hinsderstap. Hinderstap came out of working with bubbles of evil and things like this, and Harriet saying to me at one point, "The book’s not creepy enough." [laughter] She said, "Go read..."—she gave me the scene with the dead rat from early—is it Eye of the World, that has that scene, where they're in the dreams, and things?—she's like, "Get me some more creepy. It's supposed to be getting worse and worse." And so I'm like, "Alright, creepy it is." And that was where it came from.

Harriet McDougal

Thus is the nature of inspiration.

Did Lan actually died after sheathing the sword? It seems weird that everyone believed him to be dead, and a few scenes after Rand screaming "That man you have tried to kill many times, that one who lost his kingdom, that one from whom you took everything...that man, that man still fights!", he just suddenly seemed fine and only need a little bit of Healing.

He didn't only need a little bit of Healing.  I think he was Healed sufficiently to get him safely off the battlefield and be taken to Mayene for more intensive care. 

I can't remember the quote, but I think BS says something to the effect that its up to the reader what they want to believe with regards to that.  I don't think he/RJ had intended in that way, but IIRC, it was something along the lines of it not being wrong to interpret it as Rand bringing him back to life either.

Archived