DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Egwene and Gawyn

Kalythase Breen

I have a sort of stupid question - and I don't know if it's been discussed before, but does Egwene plan to marry Gawyn?

I can see her bonding him as a warder, but a married Amyrlin sounds a bit odd, (not that their relationship as warder and Aes Sedai will change their feelings for each other.)

I don't know what to think, really.

Any thoughts?

She does most empatically plan to marry him, and have his babies. And if a married Amyrlin is wierd, well, so is an Accepted becoming Amyrlin. I have a feeling the White Tower is barely going to be recognizable when Egwene is through with it.

I just feel bad that she's going to be a widow for 500 or 600 years.

There is a good chance that Gawyn can channell. Both his sister and mother can. It is not even too late for him to be a sparker as some have suggested for his brother Galad. It would also give him a better shot at "revenge" against Rand if he could channell.

There is a good chance that Gawyn can channell. Both his sister and mother can. It is not even too late for him to be a sparker as some have suggested for his brother Galad. It would also give him a better shot at "revenge" against Rand if he could channell.

Well .... we don't really have any evidence that he can, and while his mother and sister both can, I'm thinking Elayne got her strength from Tarigail Damodred's side (the family that produced Rand and Moiraine) rather than Morgase's side. I don't think Gawyn can channel. In fact, in my opinion, it would compromise the character. It would suck if any more main characters turned out to secretly be able to channel.

So, again, in my opinion, Egwene is gonna end up a widow.

Guest Wynne Jessal

It seems kinda late in the series to bring a bombshell like that out. And' date=' as was pointed out, I don't think we've had ANY hints that Gawyn can channel.

While it seems likely that channeling can be passed on genetically (as in, that's what RJ wants us to think), that doesn't meen that every member of the family or generation can channel!

Otherwise... maybe Mat can channel, since his sister can.

Or Avi's weaver first-sister.

I don't think Egwene and Gawyn marrying would be a problem from the Tower/AS standpoint. So many changes to the Aes Sedai... "way of life" have already occurred that I think it will only snowball from here. Older people allowed to test, no more Red Ajah, who knows what will happen with the Oath Rod... I think the Tower is about to become a lot more open and accepting, more like the AoL Aes Sedai.

But poor Egwene will have hundreds of years to mourn her dead husband. :( I like Gawyn.

Of course, she will have longer than, say, Nynaeve. Unless we want to hypothesize if Lan can channel! :lol: [/color']

Gawyn has good luck, he should have died in that battle where his opponent tripped.

The "luck" of a channeller is not normal luck like Mat winning at dice, it is them channelling secretly to create the appearance of luck like when Rand knocked the trolloc off the boat in TEotW.

Gawyn has good luck' date=' he should have died in that battle where his opponent tripped.[/quote']

The "luck" of a channeller is not normal luck like Mat winning at dice, it is them channelling secretly to create the appearance of luck like when Rand knocked the trolloc off the boat in TEotW.

Yeah well, how do you know Gawyn didn't channel to make the guy trip over the carcass? Anyways, I doubt if it will happen, only one book left.

Yeah well' date=' how do you know Gawyn didn't channel to make the guy trip over the carcass? Anyways, I doubt if it will happen, only one book left.[/quote']

i've not thought on this a whole lot, but off the top of my head, i'd say the biggest reason i wouldn't think either could is because when rand first starts to channel, he has side effects from it. (i believe moraine describes something similar when telling nyn she can, too, but i could be wrong). from the pov's we've had from both brothers, neither has described anything close to what we saw in rand when he was first channeling. of course, that doesn't mean they haven't experienced it. anything's possible in these books, but i'd think it highly unlikely either could.

I could be wrong but doesen't the warder bond increase their lifespan?

Only insofar as warders survive wounds that would prove fatal to those who aren't bonded, and they have the benefit of an Aes Sedai who delves and Heals them, so that if they develop heart disease or something, it would likely be cured, but the bond itself only gives the benefit of greater endurance and constitution, as well as the ability to sense shadowspawn and his Aes Sedai. Considering the nature of the warder's job, I think the benefits are probably balanced out by the dangers.

Seems a bit late to be doing much of anything with Gawyn, neh? I understand still writing him in...I mean, he was a first-book character, Egwene obviously must have a love-interest (as all original characters in series' always do)...but every time I read a Gawyn part, especially recently, I have to try hard to give a damn. I mean, I got a little hope when Elayne mentioned needing Gawyn to come by spring to take over the armies of Caemlyn, but she now seems quite fine flinging men to their deaths on her own (and Birgitte, of course). The whole "must have revenge on Rand because of a rumour that of course must be true because it's rumour" thing got tired a few books ago. So I'm wondering how much use he'll get.

I wouldn't mind seeing Rand kill him for whatever reason, just to shut him up, but I equally would be as happy to see him come over the good side and live to his heart's content in Caemlyn. It's all good. Meh.

Unless we want to hypothesize if Lan can channel!

Please, PLEASE don't. I'll beg on my knees. Seriously. :lol:

I could be wrong but doesen't the warder bond increase their lifespan?

I'm afraid you are indeed wrong. From RJ:

For David, Warders don’t slow. They age at a natural pace, but they do maintain vitality and vigor beyond the levels associated with most ordinary men.

source: http://www.dragonmount.com/RobertJordan/?p=30

Gawyn has good luck, he should have died in that battle where his opponent tripped.

So everyone who lives through battle can channel? Please.

Yeah well, how do you know Gawyn didn't channel to make the guy trip over the carcass?

Because he didn't suffer any of the side effects of touching the Source for the first time. Like isleofjib said.

I want Galad to kill Gawyn. Not because they hate each other, just because they have different cause.

Considering how Galad felt his duty to his half-sister Elayne superceded his duty to the Whitecloaks(remember, in Samara?), I doubt that would happen.

And if he knows that Elayne has Rand's child and Gawyn tries to kill Rand?

Most likely, he wouldn't interfere if the duel was being fought honorably. If he had to choose, since Galad doesn't know Rand is family (he's not married to Elayne, and Galad doesn't know Rand is his half-brother), then Galad would side with Gawyn. If he found out they were both family, then he would have to choose whose cause he thought was most just. If he believes that Rand is the Dragon Reborn, then he would have to regretfully side against Gawyn, to preserve the world.

Apologies if this has been mentioned- I don't think I've read every individual post here since it's gotten quite long (although not as long as many other threads)...

I'm pretty certain Gawyn hasn't channelled at all. I think, being the brother of a 'sparking' channeller and the son of a channeler (albiet weakly) that he could possibly learn to channel, but I don't think he has the spark. And even if he could learn, I don't think he would choose to do so, so it amounts to the same conclusion- he can't channel.

As a character I find him rather iritating, alhtough I did like him in the earlier books before he went dark. However this propensity to jump to conclusions and believe gossip is quite common with characters in these books.

Most likely' date=' he wouldn't interfere if the duel was being fought honorably. If he had to choose, since Galad doesn't know Rand is family (he's not [i']married[/i] to Elayne, and Galad doesn't know Rand is his half-brother), then Galad would side with Gawyn. If he found out they were both family, then he would have to choose whose cause he thought was most just. If he believes that Rand is the Dragon Reborn, then he would have to regretfully side against Gawyn, to preserve the world.

I wonder if Rand would even fight him, or if Galad would Rand. I mean...Rand can't work the blade now, at least with any amount of skill, due to not having a left hand (is that his good hand? Can't remember). And I doubt Rand would simply fry either of them with the power...even if he can at that any point, what with the sickness and insane LTT.

Archived