DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Kindle release date - WTF?!!

Jason Williams

Torome, and how does somebody else having an e-book version affect your enjoyment of a paper book?

I never said it did, I stated that I don't like them and was explaining my reasons because they may be similar to how Harriet McDougal feels about them.  I'll admit that part of it is a pettiness on my part, but I'm old-fashioned and I would rather see people carrying around the actual book.  It also makes it easier to identify a fellow fan if you see her holding a copy of AMOL rather than just another Kindle.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It also makes it easier to identify a fellow fan if you see her holding a copy of AMOL rather than just another Kindle.

There is that, too. I am always hesitant to ask what a person is reading, when they have a Kindle/Nook. Chances are, it is nothing I have ever heard about, in a genre I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. Then I'm stuck listening to a description of the book, the author, and all related titles. On the other side of the coin, I don't know how many people have asked, "What are you reading?", expecting some book on the Operah reading list or something, then I tell them, and they go on about how they've never read any Fantasy, but they read Twilight and they loved how it blah, blah, blah. Fantasy covers are pretty easy to identify, and most people will either gravitate to or away from them without the awkard conversation that neither of you cares to have.

Still, the convenience of being able to immediately dive into the next book in your "to read" list, no matter where you are, is great. Also, I do not feel any loss of experience in e-book vs. paper. I find paper books clunky, these days.

I feel I should also explain that I have a stubborn personality.  I have a wood-splitter, but prefer to use a maul.  I have a truck, but live only half a mile from my job so I walk everyday.  I feel that things have grown far too convenient and people have been forgetting what it means to be patient.  I like to see the old ways being given their advantage. Look up Luddite. ;)

As to the whole 'soul of the book', I was being figurative.  I was trying to explain that I have more of a connection to physical paper copies.  The issue was I was trying to say too much in one post and lost clarity.

No, I think we followed you just fine. The point where you antagonized me (not that I'm holding it against you :tongue:) is when you stated a preference to have other people's options restricted. You said you were happy the e-release was pushed back, and expressed a desire to see other people conform to your personal preference. That's fine, wanting it, but saying so is less than 'nice'. Plus, as I've mentioned earlier, it assumes everyone lives by the same restrictions you do. They don't; quite a few of us can't stop by a bookstore on Tuesday morning and pick our own copy of AMoL. Myself, I'm reduced to listening to the audiobook because of it, and I don't appreciate that one bit.

Like I said, I was being petty.  I was not actually being antagonistic towards you because I really just skimmed the other posts before I said my piece.  My opinion on the e-book date being pushed back wasn't because I want you to be punished, but more because I want the old way to be rewarded.  Ultimately it comes down to semantics, I did not use them correctly, let's try this...

The e-book is released on time, the paper copies are being released early!  That is definitely how it should have been put.

Well, I wanted to say something that wasn't very nice, but instead I think I'll go away now, before you taunt me a second time.

I'm sorry I kept pushing the issue.  I kept trying to fight a battle that was unnecessary and I let my personal dislike of the format cause me to insult people who prefer it for nothing more than errant pride; I have toh.

Everyone in my family knows that I love to read, and for that reason whenever Christmas or my Birthday come around I make sure that they know that I will NEVER use an e-book.  There is something missing in them, they have no soul. Personally I love that the e-book version is coming out late, and yes that is just my opinion, but it was the author's choice and I would bet that RJ had similar feelings to e-books as Harriet.  A book you can hold in your hands and feel the weight of it, the depth to which you have entered the story, the smell of aged pages, the marks made in prior reading that bring you back to those times and you remember who you were back then and who you have become.  An e-book weighs the same every time, no matter the story, there is text but no texture.  You can't point to a Kindle and say look at all my books the way you can with a book-case.  When I go to the book store I like to put my hands on the books and run my fingers over the spines as I browse the titles, trying to feel the one that I will read next...

Maybe I'm a Luddite, but perhaps some things should stay the way they are.

Not to immediately contradict myself here, but while I respect where you are coming from - it comes off as a little naive.

I think books are amazing, and have filled my bags with them on every vacation I've ever taken. But that doesn't mean I'm going to dismiss the rise of digital media as "some things should stay the way that they are."

The example of the newspaper is a good one, we live in an age where you keep up or you get out of the way - something none of us want to see happen to literature. Personally I find the "magic" you refer to exists in the words, as much as I love the texture and scent of an old book, i think that a great story should come off the page or the screen regardless of where its being displayed. The example of pointing to a bookcase is a poor one, since realistically who needs to know how many books you have read? Does it give you some kind of superiority in needing to display how many tomes you've conquered like trophies?

I mean, as long as you know which stories you've loved over the years - who cares what anyone else thinks?

In respect of peoples choice and as part of a forward-thinking genre I definitely think a simultaneous release is the way to go, most people would be buying it twice irregardless.

Guest JAttaway

We do still have a number of soldiers serving over seas who are huge fans.  It is much easier to both carry and get new books in an electronic format than it is to have a thick hardcover sent from home and then to arrange for storage or transport.  If you wish to punish e-readers, I wish you would do it by making them a bit more expensive than by denying them entirely.  Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

Ha ha. Have you guys checked out the AMOL reviews on Amazon? Probably not. Currently, AMOL is averaging 3 stars, with 24 5-star reviews and 29 1-star reviews. Pretty much all the 1-star reviews are just people complaining about no eBook! So then you've got people posting 5-star reviews to try to balance things out. It's pretty funny stuff.

Hi, I had to sign up to post on here. I've been a fan to WoT since I was a teenager. I've also been a fan of ebooks ever since they came out.

This decision, has cost her my business.

I woke up this morning excited to buy AMoL on Amazon. Imagine my suprise and dissapointment when I discovered that there was no ebook. I did some google searching and found the release date was set for April.

This is unacceptable.

I will NOT be buying this book in physical form at all. And to be quite honest, because of this decision, I'm going get it electronically in a few days, without spending a dime. This is the only way I can express my displeasure at this decision. I'm glad this is the last book. I want to finish it, then have NOTHING ELSE to do with Jordans widow, or her prejudices.

Let me repeat myself and make sure I'm totally clear, I was perfectly, willingly, and eagerly ready to purchase the ebook version of AMoL this morning.

No longer.

Money decision?

Guess what, you lose. No money out of me.

Someone mentioned earlier that it's a NY Time best seller list decision, I call BS on that, since the NY Times has included Ebooks into their metrics for several years now.

I'm certainly not the only one who feels this way, as was mentioned earlier, look at the current reviews on Amazon right now. When I was looking for the ebook information I came across several websites where there were discussions on this topic, several hundred posts on each one, and most feel the same way that I do.

Ya, I feel ya poboy, but your post will likely be deleted as you have heavily inferred that you will download a pirated copy of the book. We all know this happens, but you are not supposed to talk about it.

I will be buying both, as I have for every other book, but like I do for computer games, I wait for the $5.99 deals or whatever for the ebook format. I think I picked up books 1-10 at Kobo for like $12.99.

I have a book case in my house. It is overflowing to the point where I also have books in storage bins under my bed, even in my attic. Storage is at a premium in my house. e-books allow me to have a nice library without forcing me to decide between storing winter clothes or books. I plan on eventually replacing all my paper books with e-books, though I also plan on keeping a few, like my WoT collection.

I'm almost as bad here. I WOULD be if I had not adopted ebooks in about 1999. I don't particularly want to have to move house just to accommodate my reading tastes, that's why I moved to ebooks. I and many others were upset when Harriet announced the ebook would be released 3 months later, its a slap in the face to many long term fans.

As an aside, my hardback is on the way, probably the only 1 I'll buy this year, and I'm listening to the audiobook, right now.

Hi, I had to sign up to post on here. I've been a fan to WoT since I was a teenager. I've also been a fan of ebooks ever since they came out. This decision, has cost her my business. I woke up this morning excited to buy AMoL on Amazon. Imagine my suprise and dissapointment when I discovered that there was no ebook. I did some google searching and found the release date was set for April. This is unacceptable. I will NOT be buying this book in physical form at all. And to be quite honest, because of this decision, I'm going get it electronically in a few days, without spending a dime. This is the only way I can express my displeasure at this decision. I'm glad this is the last book. I want to finish it, then have NOTHING ELSE to do with Jordans widow, or her prejudices. Let me repeat myself and make sure I'm totally clear, I was perfectly, willingly, and eagerly ready to purchase the ebook version of AMoL this morning. No longer. Money decision? Guess what, you lose. No money out of me. Someone mentioned earlier that it's a NY Time best seller list decision, I call BS on that, since the NY Times has included Ebooks into their metrics for several years now. I'm certainly not the only one who feels this way, as was mentioned earlier, look at the current reviews on Amazon right now. When I was looking for the ebook information I came across several websites where there were discussions on this topic, several hundred posts on each one, and most feel the same way that I do.

Buddy you cannot steal someone else's property because you do not like the way they are selling it to you.

As for topic,I do not read e books,I need the feel paper between my fingers to enjoy a book.But I definetly get the anger from some people on this.

I love books. I love physical books, I love ebooks. I love the written word.

But ten years ago I was injured, and now I have trouble with my arms and hands. Chronic pain, but praise God I still have the use of everything!

However, it is difficult to hold a book now. Keeping the pages spread on a paperback or holding up the weight (especially of some books!) of a hardback. So when the Kindle became more affordable four years ago I jumped at the chance!! It truly makes a huge difference for me. I typically read 6 to 8 hours a day. It also distracts me from pain, which is a darn nice perk! :) We live a 30 minute drive from the nearest bookstore, so having a book transmitted electronically was an extra help! And usually I am able to get any book that comes out. Especially when prior books in the series are in ebook form.

It has already been posted that the best-selling lists take into account ebooks, so for what reason is it being withheld?

I remember reading the second book when pregnant with my third child. He just came home from training at Ft. Benning. :) I would really like to finish.

Thank you for letting me state my opinion.

Jo

Guest Aironovathuul

Before I deliver my rant I would like to extend my sympathies to Brandon for how this fantastic saga ended.

If this book is anything like your previous books, I am pretty sure it is going to be memorable. I wish Amazon would show a nice line of stars and not the two and a half it currently does.

That beeing said, I really get why it has come to this.

We are now writing 2013, there is no reason for us to still use dead trees to read on.

I find it arrogant of H. McDougal to force consumers into into buying this environment unfriendly paper brick. Just to cash in on a double take when many buy it again on kindle.

I will not be buying either, atleast not for a good while. I dont want to read this Final chapter of the saga while this smell still lingers. 

Kinda ruined it for me Harriet.

It's a futile decision. The PDF is already out, in a few days a perfect mobi/epub copy will be as well.

It was the same thing with Towers of Midnight, one week after release you could commit copyright infringement and get your ebook version. The quality was actually better than the legal The Gathering Storm version on Amazon, I got a refund for that since it had so many typographic errors.

Really nice way to treat your fan base.

edit: epub version is already out...

Well, I personally love the outcry on Amazon and the reviews the book gets simply b/c of the e-book release date. Hopefully this will put the publishers on notice about what market wants (or give them better ammunition against dinosaur ideas of previous generation of "NO E BOOKS"). I don't use e-book, but I can see why people would be upset. So, this being said, this is nothing more or less than capitalism at work and I LOVE IT!

Oh, and not to bring dead issue, but for those who still defend some decisions made about some people behind MoL, and specifically its release date, take a look at this http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/wheel-of-time-book-trailer-played-before-hobbit-screenings_b62520 and tell me that it was not done for financial reasons but b/c of "editing". What a joke!

You know what? I'll borrow it from a friend, or goto the library, or do the other route then delete it. The point is 1. I'm not buying it, and 2. I don't have to wait.

ps, it took just a little over a day for epub and mobi versions to popup in the internet, saw a guy in another forum talking about it already.

Before I deliver my rant I would like to extend my sympathies to Brandon for how this fantastic saga ended.

If this book is anything like your previous books, I am pretty sure it is going to be memorable. I wish Amazon would show a nice line of stars and not the two and a half it currently does.

That beeing said, I really get why it has come to this.

We are now writing 2013, there is no reason for us to still use dead trees to read on.

I find it arrogant of H. McDougal to force consumers into into buying this environment unfriendly paper brick. Just to cash in on a double take when many buy it again on kindle.

I will not be buying either, atleast not for a good while. I dont want to read this Final chapter of the saga while this smell still lingers. 

Kinda ruined it for me Harriet.

Harriet isn't forcing you to buy the book at all, in any format. And, frankly, I think the extra money gathered would be minute - some people will want both anyway, and many will just wait. I really doubt that double buyers who wouldn't have double bought anyway regardless of when it was released will be that numerous.

Archived