DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who is Moiraine to Rand/Lews Therin? For reals.

iceBLUEeyes

In tFoH, Rand called Moiraine 'little sister'. He didn't know where it came from. Does it have to do with Lews Therin's memories within Rand? Sometimes it slips through him. Or doesn't mean anything at all? Also, Moiraine saw in Rhuidean that it's utter disaster to have 'sexual relation' with him. So maybe they're kin?--in the least, Lews Therin and whoever Moiraine was in the past life.

Just wondering. What d'you think?

shes aes sedai so is he, she is younger, so is using the aes sedai thing of sister and therefore she is little sister.

thats what i always thought, anyway its never mentioned if LLT had any siblings, maybe he's like rand lonely son

Moiraine's half-brother was married to Rand's mother before she left him to become a Maiden of the Spear, but she isn't related to Rand. She is Rand's half-brother's aunt, however, so there is a close link, if not by blood.

It's possible she's the reincarnation of someone who was close to Lews Therin, but I'm not sure if LT had any siblings or not. I suppose she could possibly be Ilyena (given the fact she killed Lanfear), but Elaine is a much more likely candidate (assuming Ilyena was reincarnated in the current Age, which isn't entirely clear. But, it seems likely that she and LT share some kind of connection, akin to Birgitte and Gaidal Cain, and are spun out into the Pattern together. Plus, the names are a dead giveaway: Ilyena/Elaine. Seems fairly obvious).

However, Moiraine could be a reincarnation of Latra Posae Decume. She was the Aes Sedai who opposed Lews Therin's plan to Seal the Bore, and, depending which way you look at it, either doomed saidin to the Taint, since she wouldn't allow female channelers to participate in the Sealing, or saved saidar from the touch of the Dark One. But, whatever relation Moiraine may have to Latra hasn't been made very clear, so I doubt she is her reincarnation (Egwene, Nynaeve and Cadsuane are much more likely candidates, which, again, is assuming she's been reincarnated into the current Age).

As for Moiraine's visions of disaster resulting from a sexual relationship with Rand, I think that was to say she can't complicate matters with him, or "lose her wits" around him, like Elaine, Min and Aviendha do. It was merely to say that they had to maintain a professional working relationship if Rand was to make it to Tarmon Gai'don. If she was to fall in love with him, perhaps she would've tried to save him from his fate, or something along those lines (i.e. it would've shaken her resolve to sacrifice him for the good of the world). I don't think it was in reference to incest, or ill-gotten offspring. You're confusing Wheel of Time with Game of Thrones ;-)

Edited by Sightblinder'sMinder

Little sister. I took it to mean his lesser...would not be considered a full AS in AoL.

Bear in mind that all the Forsaken consider these AS to be little more than children.

Perhaps you're right. I've just remembered reading Moghedien calling Liandrin 'little sister' as to mean they aren't equal.

I see Egwene more as Latra Posae Decume due to her being in a position to once again stop Rand from using the

Seals to seal up the Dark One's prison. She was in favor of a big wall and use the Choedan Kal. She refused to

let any female channelers participate and Lews Therin's plan failed, of course, due to that.

Edited by ThorkinBarrimore

She refused to let any female channelers participate and Lews Therin's plan failed, of course, due to that.

Nope, in fact it is the very thing that allowed the world to survive. The plan was flawed for all that LTT had to act.

RJ

The result of this was that Lews Therin carried out his plan with only male Aes Sedai, so there were only male Aes Sedai channeling there, which was a lucky thing, because if there’d been women as well, then both saidin and saidar would have been tainted
Edited by Suttree

So in the end, ironically, both were responsible for saving the world. She prevented the breaking from destroying everything, and he stopped the DO before the light lost the war. (In the end the sealing DID work, and as much as LTT was cursed for the breaking that followed, the truth is they saved the world from a defeat that could never be undone.)

I suspect he simply sees Moiraine as another child, like the Forsaken see them, as it is clear they don't care if the Aes Sedai is good or evil, just that they have little knowledge compared to the past.

So in the end, ironically, both were responsible for saving the world. She prevented the breaking from destroying everything, and he stopped the DO before the light lost the war. (In the end the sealing DID work, and as much as LTT was cursed for the breaking that followed, the truth is they saved the world from a defeat that could never be undone.)

I suspect the pattern had a hand in her opposition for precisely that reason.

It's a bit off-topic but I've been wondering something for some time. Maybe someone knows the answer to it.

How similar are the 2nd and 3rd Ages in the current cycle to the ones in the previous cycle? Is the Second Age always a utopia in each cycle while the Third is marked with strife? Does the 2nd Age always end with a Breaking and the flawed sealing of the Bore? I know there are levels of victory in the war between Light and Shadow but is it always roughly the same in the same age of different cycles?

It's a bit off-topic but I've been wondering something for some time. Maybe someone knows the answer to it.

How similar are the 2nd and 3rd Ages in the current cycle to the ones in the previous cycle? Is the Second Age always a utopia in each cycle while the Third is marked with strife? Does the 2nd Age always end with a Breaking and the flawed sealing of the Bore? I know there are levels of victory in the war between Light and Shadow but is it always roughly the same in the same age of different cycles?

RJ has described it like this.

INTERVIEW: Nov 30th, 2000

WH Signing Report - Matt Peck (Paraphrased)

MATT PECK

I asked that as the Wheel turned, each time an Age rolls around, is the Pattern exactly the same each time, or does it change?

ROBERT JORDAN

He seemed to like this question. He likened it to a tapestry. When seen from a distance, each Third Age (to make it easy to track) has exactly the same pattern as the previous Third Age. However, when seen up close, there are differences. Threads are different, different nations exist, geography is different, different personalities rise to prominence. These changes, while minute in the grand scale of the Pattern, affect the Pattern enough so that while two iterations of an Age are almost the same, the first "Third Age" may be wildy different from the hundredth "Third Age".

• 7 years later...

I don’t think Little Sister was an insult in any way. Imagine the Age of Legends Academies of Learning channeling, Rand may have become full Aes Sedai at 50 or 80. A weaker person so who studied from 20 to 40 might have been raised to the level of their version of Accepted. Whereas White Tower Aes Sedai treat accepted mostly like children, that may have not worked in Rand’s time and the respectful term of Little Sister may have been used for someone who was a Senior Student or a recent graduate of an educational program.