DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dreadbane...

randsc

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No there is another vision of Mins from when she first meets Elyane somethign to do with a black hand and irons if i recall correctly

Oh, that one is in TGH, ch 24, and it's not a black hand, it is a "severed hand" which is not hers. And yes, I definitely do think that is the Band of the Red Hand, severed from Mat, serving Elayne.

The only hand with an iron is the one she saw around Rand waaaaaaaay back in TEoTW ch 15, and that one is a bloody hand, with a white-hot iron. Probably his hand getting blown off by Semirhage, but that one is still somewhat uncertain.

No there is another vision of Mins from when she first meets Elyane somethign to do with a black hand and irons if i recall correctly

Oh, that one is in TGH, ch 24, and it's not a black hand, it is a "severed hand" which is not hers. And yes, I definitely do think that is the Band of the Red Hand, severed from Mat, serving Elayne.

The only hand with an iron is the one she saw around Rand waaaaaaaay back in TEoTW ch 15, and that one is a bloody hand, with a white-hot iron. Probably his hand getting blown off by Semirhage, but that one is still somewhat uncertain.

I knew i was gettign it wrong somehow (im in the middle of a migraine) so its hard to think.

I like the name itself, it makes sense. The gaze of the eyeless is fear.

You kill one of the Myrddraal, you are killing the fear, hence the Dreadbane.

The only thing that slightly bothers me is that we have not heard it before. I would have thought it would have been mentioned particularly at the Battle of Maradon, which makes it likely just to be a cool name thrown in there.

It would have been awesome if it was something that was there from the start.

@Master Ablar: He got wounded with Myrddraal steel, and blackness started spreading from the wound.

Well that sounds nasty. Could someone please get the guy a healer!

Probably not in time, given the ending of the prologue.

You never know. Dobraine was brought back from the very brink of death. That said if he dies this early in the book, there could be a lot of main characters kicking the bucket before the end.

@Master Ablar: He got wounded with Myrddraal steel, and blackness started spreading from the wound.

You never know. Dobraine was brought back from the very brink of death. That said if he dies this early in the book, there could be a lot of main characters kicking the bucket before the end.

I did say "probably." :wink: But I suspect that the gloves are coming off in this one, so to speak. Not quite to the level of the Red Wedding, but close enough for Sanderson work.

I did say "probably." :wink: But I suspect that the gloves are coming off in this one, so to speak. Not quite to the level of the Red Wedding, but close enough for Sanderson work.

Dear lord the Red Wedding. I think I was in a state of shock for the rest of the day after that.

Dear lord the Red Wedding. I think I was in a state of shock for the rest of the day after that.

We do know Brandon hinted at some GRRM moments.

Meh...a Brandonism but not one of his worst. Does feel odd being introduced this late in the game considering we have been around so many border landers already. You would think Lan would have mentioned it long ago. No biggie though, not nearly as cringeworthy as "dreamshard".

Lol, see I went the opposite way--Dreamshard doesn't bother me--I actually even like it as a term for those dream constructs, and yes that's despite making the obvious connection to Brandon's Shardverse.

Dreadbane on the other hand--killing Myrddraal is something we've seen often, and yet we've never heard this term? And yet for all that, this is not why I truly dislike it--rather it's because the scene in which it's offered is so inorganic it makes my skin crawl.

Melten nodded, eyes solemn. “Dreadbane,” he whispered.

“What’s that?”

“Borderlander title. You slew a Fade. Dreadbane.”

“It had about seventeen arrows in it at the time.”

“Doesn’t matter.” Melten clasped him on the shoulder. “Dreadbane.”

It's unbelievable. Unrealistic. It feels almost like an Isam paraody... it's like Brandon is trying to create these larger than lifer archetypal hero characters, but can't be bothered to do it in the flow of the story so he generates an overly convuluted hollywood-esque fight scene after which the first character acts nonchalant and another character proceeds to tell the reader, in florid terms, just how awesome he is. It's little different to Maradon in many ways, right down to the 'Whispered Description of Awe'

The Asha'man Naeff—standing beside Bashere—gasped. "I've never seen so many weaves at once," he whispered. "I can't track them all. He's a storm. A storm of Light and streams of Power!"

Just a thought...and maybe this is just me trying to cut the cheese (ew) and rationalize all this, but --

Maybe the "Dreadbane" is an archaic term that isn't really used much, and that's why we haven't heard it from any number of Borderlanders? Kind of like how we don't hear someone call someone else "bona fide" anymore, unelss they're wanting to be nostalgic or quaint. Being in a dying city during the end of the world would certainly make a fellow feel maudlin.

OR! Melten could have just made the whole damn thing up. How would a Cairhienin have known any better? He's obviously a dead man walking, so why not make him feel a little bit better at the end?

"And one that pretty much all the major characters got without trying. "

Outside of Rand and Lan who else killed an Eyeless in single combat? Maybe Thom Merlin in the first book (although its not clear that he actually killed him) but who else?

The Supergirls back in TDR. It was 3 on 3 IIRC. If Channelling doesn't disqualify them, of course. ;)

Mat and Perrin have done it for sure.

Just a thought...and maybe this is just me trying to cut the cheese (ew) and rationalize all this, but --

Maybe the "Dreadbane" is an archaic term that isn't really used much, and that's why we haven't heard it from any number of Borderlanders? Kind of like how we don't hear someone call someone else "bona fide" anymore, unelss they're wanting to be nostalgic or quaint. Being in a dying city during the end of the world would certainly make a fellow feel maudlin.

OR! Melten could have just made the whole damn thing up. How would a Cairhienin have known any better? He's obviously a dead man walking, so why not make him feel a little bit better at the end?

My guess is that its a term that is included in RJ's notes but RJ never used in one of the books and Brandon picked it up in order to meat out the scene and in the minor Hand member that uses it a back story ( an ex-gleeman from the borderlands- who else would likely know an archane and little used title)..

My guess is that its a term that is included in RJ's notes but RJ never used in one of the books and Brandon picked it up in order to meat out the scene and in the minor Hand member that uses it a back story ( an ex-gleeman from the borderlands- who else would likely know an archane and little used title)..

Or, again, it is an allusion to WoW.

It doesn't have to be single combat--Melten makes that clear. You just have to strike the killing blow.

Perrin did in tSR--and that was single combat, in a primrarily borderland group, who specifically complimented him on his fighting afterward without reference to this term.

Egwene, Elayne and Nynaeve slay three myrddraal.

“What’s that?”

The only way this is in any way a suitable conversation is if this Melten person is using the voice of Christopher Walken. At least then it's funny.

Give it a try, it's fun!

The Asha'man Naeff—standing beside Bashere—gasped. "I've never seen so many weaves at once," he whispered. "I can't track them all. He's a storm. A storm of Light and streams of Power!"

/headdesk

Have to say I agree with Luckers (and others) - even though the term "dreamshard" feels less similar to other WoT terms, it doesn't sound as cumbersome or awkward as "dreadbane." I understand the term as a sum of its derivative parts, but it also doesn't really flow in the correct way in regards to this particular universe in my humble opinion... It feels heavy, and dropped in, unexpectedly somehow. I'm not doing a very good job at explaining this. It's sort of like coming across a huge boulder in the middle of the road. It's terrestrial, so I guess it's not too much of a stretch to see how it could have gotten there, but it's also sort of like, "Where the hell did this come from?"

My biggest problem with Talmanes was the constant reminders about sense of humor. As if Brandon was trying to convince himself every 1000 words that 'yes i read that right, he does have a sense of humor'.

The sad thing about this is that

1) He is right, Talmanes does have that kind of humor

2) He did get Talmanes PoV right and it would have conveyed that humor (also the Mat vs Talmanes ones would have, as well)

3) Talmanes DID come through as awesome from his writings, which he is.

Brandon, you did make the guy work. Just could you please stop spelling these out for us? The awesomeness pointed out, and the constant humor talks? Please?

Take that away and it's perfect.

Now as for Talmanes' survival. My theory is that there is a good reason for them to be exiting on the eastern wall. That's where the Embassy sisters will come to investigate what's going on in Caemlyn. They do have a healer.

I love Dreamshard. Dreadbane is alright. The scene isn't.

Cue Luckers' head exploding in 3, 2...

My biggest problem with Talmanes was the constant reminders about sense of humor. As if Brandon was trying to convince himself every 1000 words that 'yes i read that right, he does have a sense of humor'.

The sad thing about this is that

1) He is right, Talmanes does have that kind of humor

2) He did get Talmanes PoV right and it would have conveyed that humor (also the Mat vs Talmanes ones would have, as well)

3) Talmanes DID come through as awesome from his writings, which he is.

Brandon, you did make the guy work. Just could you please stop spelling these out for us? The awesomeness pointed out, and the constant humor talks? Please?

Take that away and it's perfect.

Now as for Talmanes' survival. My theory is that there is a good reason for them to be exiting on the eastern wall. That's where the Embassy sisters will come to investigate what's going on in Caemlyn. They do have a healer.

I love Dreamshard. Dreadbane is alright. The scene isn't.

Exactly.

“What’s that?”

The only way this is in any way a suitable conversation is if this Melten person is using the voice of Christopher Walken. At least then it's funny.

Give it a try, it's fun!

/headdesk

I just did this, as I like to think I do a pretty good Christopher Walken, especially when I'm the one deciding. I lol'd.

Archived