DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Min, Aviendha, or Elayne

matisawesome

Who's best with him? Probably Min. Who's best for him? I don't know. Min supports him, Aviendha challenges him, and Elayne's kinda in the middle (which is normal for her) - she helps him along with his challenges. I guess he's had what he needed from one or the other at each stage.

He should get his dirty paws off Elayne, though. She's MINE!

Guest katerina_L

Elayne and Rand have spent the least time together, but I think they belong with one another. After all, Elayne and Rand are both rulers and that's one important aspect of Rand's life that Min and Aviendha will never really understand. On several places in the books Elayne's thoughts are very similar to Rand's- she doesn't want him to die, but she understands his duty and accepts it; her first reaction to the news that he is breaking the seals was to agree with the idea; she has a warder that has memories from previous lives and is comfortable with it; she also tends to take risks- like facing the Black Ajah, and that's something Rand would do... Not to speak that she's the one carrying Rand's children/ I don't think that what Aviendha saw in the collums will come to pass- most of all- it would be a terribly boring ending since we've already seen it :D :D and RJ and BS have not bored me so far :) /.

Elayne fell for Rand some how too easily- they had like 20 minutes together and she couldn't stop thinking about the guy....So my thoughts are that the two of them were destined to be together- something like Birgitte and Gaidal, and that maybe Elayne is Lews Terrin's wife reborn /after all it can't be Min since Rand would recognize her, maybe Aviendha but somehow I don't believe it /. I may be going too far in my assumptioms, but that's just how it feels to me :)

Elayne and Rand have spent the least time together, but I think they belong with one another. After all, Elayne and Rand are both rulers and that's one important aspect of Rand's life that Min and Aviendha will never really understand. On several places in the books Elayne's thoughts are very similar to Rand's- she doesn't want him to die, but she understands his duty and accepts it; her first reaction to the news that he is breaking the seals was to agree with the idea; she has a warder that has memories from previous lives and is comfortable with it; she also tends to take risks- like facing the Black Ajah, and that's something Rand would do... Not to speak that she's the one carrying Rand's children/ I don't think that what Aviendha saw in the collums will come to pass- most of all- it would be a terribly boring ending since we've already seen it :D :D and RJ and BS have not bored me so far :) /.

Elayne fell for Rand some how too easily- they had like 20 minutes together and she couldn't stop thinking about the guy....So my thoughts are that the two of them were destined to be together- something like Birgitte and Gaidal, and that maybe Elayne is Lews Terrin's wife reborn /after all it can't be Min since Rand would recognize her, maybe Aviendha but somehow I don't believe it /. I may be going too far in my assumptioms, but that's just how it feels to me :)

Well Aviendha and Elayne are both important which works for them and against they have other stuff going on but Min is only in this because of him she is devoted as you can tell a non-channeler travelling across the world for their soulmate that is pretty romantic

Well Aviendha and Elayne are both important which works for them and against they have other stuff going on but Min is only in this because of him she is devoted as you can tell a non-channeler travelling across the world for their soulmate that is pretty romantic

I agree with matisawesome here. Also how would it work with Rand and Elayne together. They are the two most headstrong people in the series besides early Nynaeve.

Side note: I wish someone had gotten my wind of change reference but I guess more people need to go watch Monsters Inc.

Tho Min is definitely there for him and occasionally there are artificially sweet moments between them (like when she doesn't pull away from him when he reaches for her with the stump wrist) and she definitely loves him, she is dangerous for him (like when she insisted she go to the trap set up Semirage) and besides for being dangerous, I don't appreciate their relationship. She sleeps with him. There was never any talk of marriage or the future, which I suspect Elayne wants and it seems Avi also doesn't want to sleep with him out of wedlock (tho I could be wrong about Avi, it could be she just doesn't want to sleep with him while Elayne can't)

Min's lack of future commitment may be because she knows she will die soon, or because RJ/BS knows she will die soon.

I think that Min is perhaps the one who loves Rand the most unconditionally, and I think she is also the most realistic of the lot and that is why she is not talking about marriage, they are facing war and they do not even know if they have a future, I also think that she is not the kind of person who need a ritual to sort of sanction her love. I think Avi and Elayne loves Rand to but I think the sweetest scenes is between him and Min. When that is said if the question is who is best for him then I would have to say one of the two channelers, and here is why. If Rand should survive the Last Battle then he have a life span of 1000 or more years, Min even if she is bonded and healing is used to deal with illness and the like would have a max life span of a little over 100. Rand's slowing would create the vampire and human lover problem. Not only would he loose her after what would be compared to his lifespan a very short time, but she would age and he would not, or he would age so slowly that when she is 90 and is an old, frail woman he would in his appearance and shape appear to be in his mid twenties, with Min Rand would have to watch his lover age and die before his eyes while he stayed young and while that might make for a great tragic element it would probably not be best for him. Avi and Elayne would have lifespans close to his own, with one of them he could grow old together with his lover, in a 1000 or more years and share his whole life with her, and out of the two channelers I prefer Avi, not that I dislike Elayne but I do think she is colder and that there are more conditions on her love than with Avi.

That is a good point, but not a point that is made anything of in the series. In fact there's made more a point about the fact that Min is older (around 4 years) in the first books when Mat and Perrin are teasing him about her. Rand is destined to die from prophesies. In addition to that there are also new prophesies that pretty much guarantees it, even one from Min. The hope for "surviving" doesn't have to mean anything else than that the Dragon's soul will have to face the DO in a later cycle. I would guess that the last thing any of them are thinking about is their expected lifespans. Aviendha is a warrior regardless of her newfound talents and she belongs to a dying people... the odds aren't great. As for Elayne, she probably has the best chance of surviving long term but who knows. Even with all the known channelers in the series it seems RJ has made a conscious choice of staying way clear of the "vampire problem" and just not going there. The only thing I can think of is the fact of Green losing their warders, but that is as often to battle as to old age. RJ never even mentioned it with regards to Siuan/Gareth or Moiraine/Thom either. Apparently he wanted it to be a non-issue in WoT.

Off course in setting the characters are not calculating like that, after all which lovers are? This discussion the way I understand it is more about who we the readers think would be the best choice, not who the characters themselves would choose. When Min first learns that Rand can channel he have a life expectancy of I don't know five years give or take before he would either be dead, taken down by the Aes Sedai or insane and she loved him and so did the other two, love is not rational so one can not go by what the characters themselves would choose when just discussing who would be the better match.

The "vampire problem" is not mentioned in the setting and the issue is not brought up, perhaps because the author did not want to draw attention to it or because maybe he thought it was to obvious to need to go into detail about. I mean very few female channelers marry and that can not only be because men are afraid of women who they could not best in a fight. This is speculation off course but I have always felt that one of the reasons is also that any lover a female channeler takes will grow old and die long before her, in fact if she is reasonably strong she might show a bit of gray in her hair by the time her grandchildren die of old age and that have to be a concern.

Archived