A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who is the biggest "JERK" ever in fantasy, sci-fi etc

The Fisher King

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dumbledore

Just sayin'. Guy could've been a lot more helpful all around. Any of the "wise old men" in books who are metaphors for God and take a hands-off approach are just jerks. (Not meaning to start a God argument. I am talking about flesh and blood people (in fantasy books) who are supposedly super-powerful and wise, who choose to let others do the fighting). Gandalf doesn't fall into this list, obviously. He started out right in the mix with the other fighters and got nearly destroyed by a balrog. He then took out Saruman and helped out Rohan, then led an army right to the gates of Mordor. The guy put it all on the line.

not to defend DD, cause i agree he was a bit of a jerk. but its not that he chose to let Harry do the fighting for him. its because he knew that only Harry could defeat Voldy that he was forced to step back and let a kid take the brunt.

and tbh, had DD not allowed Potter to face the overwhelming battles he did the Potter woudl have never been prepared for the final battle with Voldy.

Joffrey

The blond kid from "The Karate Kid." On the same note his Karate instructor. Mr. Cobra Kai. Big jerks heh.

William Zabka! Gotta love that guy. He's apparently a super nice guy in real life. He's also willing to make fun of himself, like when he did the video "Sweep the Leg" by No More Kings. If you haven't seen it check it out. It's hilarious!

next in line is Snape; i'd love to pistol whip him. it's all his fault anyways.

I'm sorry? What exactly is Snape's fault?

Was it his fault that he was bullied mercilessly by James Potter and his friends? That the woman he loved married his bully? That he had mixed feelings about Harry because he is the child of his bully and his love?

Not to mention the fact that he told Harry the truth about who and what he was when Dumdeldore didn't.

I'm not saying he can't be a bit of a jerk, but cut him some slack. He has reasons and very mixed feelings.

Sorry, but I just think Snape is the greatest character in the history of literature.

Obi Wan Kenobi - Cuts up Anakin and leaves him to slowly cook above a lake of lava. Sure, the kid turned to the Dark Side and destroyed the Jedi, but Jedi are supposed to be civilized. Even the worse criminal deserves a quick and painless death. Also, by leaving him there, he gave Darth Sidius the opportunity to rescue him, and allowed Darth Vader to terrorize the galaxy.

Jerk. Jerk-face.

Obi Wan Kenobi - Cuts up Anakin and leaves him to slowly cook above a lake of lava. Sure, the kid turned to the Dark Side and destroyed the Jedi, but Jedi are supposed to be civilized. Even the worse criminal deserves a quick and painless death. Also, by leaving him there, he gave Darth Sidius the opportunity to rescue him, and allowed Darth Vader to terrorize the galaxy.

Jerk. Jerk-face.

You have to appreciate the situation he was in. Sure it was a mistake and not totally cool. But Kenobi was probably experiencing quite a bit of emotional upheaval at that point. Executing his former apprentice probably would have been to much.

You have to appreciate the situation he was in. Sure it was a mistake and not totally cool. But Kenobi was probably experiencing quite a bit of emotional upheaval at that point. Executing his former apprentice probably would have been to much.

Yeah, I suppose I should be used to heroes being unable to kill a friend. You never see heroes in books or in the movies do a mercy killing of a friend. They are always, like, "No. I can't! I know he/she will be tortured for days on end before being killed in the worse way possible, but I cannot kill a friend."

Still, he could've at least taken him to be healed, and maybe try to convert him back to the light side, or held a trial with the remaining Jedi and have him executed or something. Don't just leave him there.

Urdnot Reeve, Mass Effect 2&3. Getting to the Krogan section on ME3, I had to go all the way back to the first game and replay them to keep Wrex alive.

Dr. Leanord McCoy, Star trek original series. Though I find him to be an endearing douch.

The entire Lannister family from TSOIAF,

Urdnot Reeve... ugh. Hated that guy. My first playthrough of ME3 I was using an ME2 save that didn't convert from an ME1 save so it used the default "Wrex dies" scenario. After my first playthrough I went back and finished off ME1 with a Wrex survives save, then played through ME2 again, just so I could see what happens with Wrex living. MUCH better story.

Kai Leng is still the most annoying character in ME3 though.

While we're talking about Mass Effect, we might include Commander Shepard him/herself. There are some pretty funny videos on youtube of Shepard being a jerk.

Sheppard is a total assface. And he's a boring character to boot. Good thing that ME had such a good supporting cast.

Biggest fictional jerk ever? God.

next in line is Snape; i'd love to pistol whip him. it's all his fault anyways.

I'm sorry? What exactly is Snape's fault?

Was it his fault that he was bullied mercilessly by James Potter and his friends? That the woman he loved married his bully? That he had mixed feelings about Harry because he is the child of his bully and his love?

Not to mention the fact that he told Harry the truth about who and what he was when Dumdeldore didn't.

I'm not saying he can't be a bit of a jerk, but cut him some slack. He has reasons and very mixed feelings.

Sorry, but I just think Snape is the greatest character in the history of literature.

*chokes on coffee* greatest character int he history of literature ... surely you jest. i mean, yes his depth as a character ws great, but you go a bit far claiming he's the best character EVER. i mean, Jamie Lannister is a much better character and deals with the same inner turmoil.

and cut Snape some slack. i certaintly think not. he told Potter under Dumbledores orders, not out of the goodness of his heart. he told Potter to ensure the person who killed Lily woudl get killed, in short, he did it for revenge, not noble reasons.

it was his fault Lily married James. if you recall, he lashed out and called her a mudblood in anger. likely, given his history, Snape probably woudl have lashed out and done worse over time (like hitting her out of anger). you also fail to take into consideration the people he surrounded himself with and chose as his friends. he CHOSE to be a Death eater. Lily told him "we can't hang out because of your friends, the people you choose to surround yourself with." to Snapes friends, her being a mudblood was a death sentance.

if anything, this goes to show how delusional Snape truely was. that he could join a gang that made it a goal to humiliate and kill muggleborns and muggles, while at the same time thinkign that Lily is some how excluded and okay. do you really think, had Lily been with Snape, that he woudln't have been made to make an example out of her? please, thats just nto how that organization or Voldemort worked.

and YES the ENTIRE thing is Snapes fault. after all, if he hadn't of blabbed the half heard prophecy to Voldemort in a bid for great affection and standing to the Dark Lord, then Voldemort would have never attacked the Potters int he first place.

Snape is a jerk. and the only reason why he "looked" after Potter was for his lust of Lily Evans. tbh, he's one of the bigger jerks in that series, rivaled only by Lucius Malfoy.

tbh, i'm always astounded to see the support and fan base Snape got. i often wonder if its because Rickman did such a good job at toning down Snapes jerkiness on the film and showing him more as the anti-hero. which he most certaintly was not in the books.

I cannot agree more with SamVimes about Prince Humperdink. Also, tony stark. Jerk face. I need to think on this more. Oh, Luke skywalker. Though he fits better into the whiny little brat category.

bah Tony Stark is the epitome of cool. his being a jerk is what makes him cool!!

<3 Stark.

I'm not saying this to be negative at all, but if that is truly how you feel I suggest you become a bit more widely read.

Well, I have a Master's in English and have been reading since I was three, chapter books starting in 2nd grade and Shakespeare starting in middle school, so I think I'm doing alright.

I happened to think Snape was well written and, yes, masterfully acted by one of the finest actors in the world, Alan Rickman.

Insulting me because you disagree with my opinion is uncalled for. Snape is a VERY sympathetic character. He is a poster child for what can happen to victims of incessant bullying. I mean, do we ever see any scenes of James Potter doing anything but torture Severus for no reason except not being cool? This is a prefect picture of what can happen when bullying continues unthwarted and there is no positive influence to counteract it.

I'm not saying this to be negative at all, but if that is truly how you feel I suggest you become a bit more widely read.

Well, I have a Master's in English and have been reading since I was three, chapter books starting in 2nd grade and Shakespeare starting in middle school, so I think I'm doing alright.

I happened to think Snape was well written and, yes, masterfully acted by one of the finest actors in the world, Alan Rickman.

Insulting me because you disagree with my opinion is uncalled for. Snape is a VERY sympathetic character. He is a poster child for what can happen to victims of incessant bullying. I mean, do we ever see any scenes of James Potter doing anything but torture Severus for no reason except not being cool? This is a prefect picture of what can happen when bullying continues unthwarted and there is no positive influence to counteract it.

I made it quite clear that the statement was not meant to be insulting. I truly hope you didn't take it as such. As you have a Masters in English however you know very well that Snape is far from "the greatest character in the history of literature." and I think you can understand why I said what I said. Harry Potter is an above average YA fantasy book of which the writing does not hold up in the slightest outside of genre.

I'm guessing you we're using hyperbole for some reason I missed when you made the original statement? Again wasn't trying to be insulting but you see people that only really read in genre around here who hold on to some very odd notions at times. If you want to try and make an argument for him being the greatest "fantasy" character by all means go ahead(although even that would be difficult), but people need to be realistic in how they are judging this type of thing when talking about "literature" as a whole

As an aside where did you get your Master's if you don't mind me asking? I got my Lit B.A. from UCSB. Cheers.

Snape is a VERY sympathetic character. He is a poster child for what can happen to victims of incessant bullying. I mean, do we ever see any scenes of James Potter doing anything but torture Severus for no reason except not being cool? This is a prefect picture of what can happen when bullying continues unthwarted and there is no positive influence to counteract it.

totrue for no reason?! dude you need to do a re-read on the series. the bullying was both ways. Snape took every opportunity to get at james and Sirius as they took to get at him. he wasn't a victim, he got what he gave.

Lupin explains this to Harry in OoTP when he talks to them via the fire place in Umbridges office. Sirius i can concede too, Sirius was a straight up jerk who took it to the extreme. but James stopped the bulling after Sirius almost cost Snape his life and James saved his scrawny little neck. (which again, was his own fault for wanting to get dirt on Lupin and being that curious)

and as i said, he was in no way innocent. he did his fair share of pranks, cruel jokes and retaliation to Potter and Black.

i think honestly your getting your getting your characters mixed up in this case. besides, this still doesn't exclude him from the other points i posted. about him being the reason voldy found out about the prophecy (which yes, is proof that thsi entire affiar with Harry IS Snapes fault, without that Prophecy, Voldy never would have went after the Potters like that, nor would Nevilles parent have ended up like that). the fact that he lashed out unfairley at the woman he lusted for and called her the worst thing you can in that series.

the fact his motivations for turning against Voldemort have nothing to do with him being a good guy and more with his lust for lily and his lust for revenge for her death.

and i didn't even mention the fact of carring over a child hood grudge and egging on Sirius like he did in OoTP. Snae was a grown man, Sirius atleast had the excuse of being stunted in mental growth by 13 years in prison with Dementors no less (its lucky he was sane at all) i'm not one to defend Sirius, cause i think he's a striaght up ass. a likable ass, but an ass none the less. Snape was free and should have grown above those child hood grudges (something even Dumbledore expected of him) and yet he was petty and didn't and took every chance he could to rub it in Sirius's face that He Snape was out there helping while Sirius sat around cleaning house.

which only furthered to help harry believe the false image Voldy planted which ended up causing Siriuses death.

and speaking of an inability to get over a child hood grudge with Snape. its because of this that he was unable and unwilling to teach harry occulmency. somethign that was rightfully vital at the time. yet a stupid grudge, cause he thought Harry acted so much like his father and cause harry looked liek his father, Snape barely applied himself at the task and relished the excuse to stop the lessens.

a well written character reguardless. fact is Snape was a jerk, one of the bigger jerks in that series. and is no where near the best literary character in the history of literature. Mcbeth and Hamlet and Romeo trump him by far. Rand and Verin and Perrin and Moriane trump him. jamie Lannister, Tyrion Lannister, Arya Stark, Jon Snow are better than Snape. and i could go on.

ion that series, he's the best written character i agree; but outside of that comparison ... sorry JKR just isn't a good enough writer to give Snape that title. and this is commign from one of the the biggest fans of HP on this site who has been debating and discussing and dissecting that series since 2005 and has read it as many times as most people on this board have read WoT.

i love HP, i think its a wonderful series, especially for Juvinille Literature because of the character because of the story, because of the literary devices she uses. but i'm not above realizing the series and its character dont hold a candle to the likes of Narnia, WoT, ASoF&I and others.

I made it quite clear that the statement was not meant to be insulting. I truly hope you didn't take it as such. As you have a Masters in English however you know very well that Snape is far from "the greatest character in the history of literature." and I think you can understand why I said what I said. Harry Potter is an above average YA fantasy book of which the writing does not hold up in the slightest outside of genre.

I'm guessing you we're using hyperbole for some reason I missed when you made the original statement? Again wasn't trying to be insulting but you see people that only really read in genre around here who hold on to some very odd notions at times. If you want to try and make an argument for him being the greatest "fantasy" character by all means go ahead(although even that would be difficult), but people need to be realistic in how they are judging this type of thing when talking about "literature" as a whole

As an aside where did you get your Master's if you don't mind me asking? I got my Lit B.A. from UCSB. Cheers.

I am given to hyperbole on occasion. ;) I once spent hours defending a statement I made that Keanu Reeves was the greatest actor of my generation. I barely believed it, but I argued for it, nonetheless. Oh, I was also on debate team in college.

I got my Masters at Tenn Tech.

I still believe that Severus Snape is a highly well written character. I feel for him more than anyone in the books. I can barely stand Harry. The fact that you never really understand the character until the end is good proof of how complex he is. Think Verin...

Snape is a VERY sympathetic character. He is a poster child for what can happen to victims of incessant bullying. I mean, do we ever see any scenes of James Potter doing anything but torture Severus for no reason except not being cool? This is a prefect picture of what can happen when bullying continues unthwarted and there is no positive influence to counteract it.

totrue for no reason?! dude you need to do a re-read on the series. the bullying was both ways. Snape took every opportunity to get at james and Sirius as they took to get at him. he wasn't a victim, he got what he gave.

Lupin explains this to Harry in OoTP when he talks to them via the fire place in Umbridges office. Sirius i can concede too, Sirius was a straight up jerk who took it to the extreme. but James stopped the bulling after Sirius almost cost Snape his life and James saved his scrawny little neck. (which again, was his own fault for wanting to get dirt on Lupin and being that curious)

and as i said, he was in no way innocent. he did his fair share of pranks, cruel jokes and retaliation to Potter and Black.

i think honestly your getting your getting your characters mixed up in this case. besides, this still doesn't exclude him from the other points i posted. about him being the reason voldy found out about the prophecy (which yes, is proof that thsi entire affiar with Harry IS Snapes fault, without that Prophecy, Voldy never would have went after the Potters like that, nor would Nevilles parent have ended up like that). the fact that he lashed out unfairley at the woman he lusted for and called her the worst thing you can in that series.

the fact his motivations for turning against Voldemort have nothing to do with him being a good guy and more with his lust for lily and his lust for revenge for her death.

and i didn't even mention the fact of carring over a child hood grudge and egging on Sirius like he did in OoTP. Snae was a grown man, Sirius atleast had the excuse of being stunted in mental growth by 13 years in prison with Dementors no less (its lucky he was sane at all) i'm not one to defend Sirius, cause i think he's a striaght up ass. a likable ass, but an ass none the less. Snape was free and should have grown above those child hood grudges (something even Dumbledore expected of him) and yet he was petty and didn't and took every chance he could to rub it in Sirius's face that He Snape was out there helping while Sirius sat around cleaning house.

which only furthered to help harry believe the false image Voldy planted which ended up causing Siriuses death.

and speaking of an inability to get over a child hood grudge with Snape. its because of this that he was unable and unwilling to teach harry occulmency. somethign that was rightfully vital at the time. yet a stupid grudge, cause he thought Harry acted so much like his father and cause harry looked liek his father, Snape barely applied himself at the task and relished the excuse to stop the lessens.

a well written character reguardless. fact is Snape was a jerk, one of the bigger jerks in that series. and is no where near the best literary character in the history of literature. Mcbeth and Hamlet and Romeo trump him by far. Rand and Verin and Perrin and Moriane trump him. jamie Lannister, Tyrion Lannister, Arya Stark, Jon Snow are better than Snape. and i could go on.

ion that series, he's the best written character i agree; but outside of that comparison ... sorry JKR just isn't a good enough writer to give Snape that title. and this is commign from one of the the biggest fans of HP on this site who has been debating and discussing and dissecting that series since 2005 and has read it as many times as most people on this board have read WoT.

i love HP, i think its a wonderful series, especially for Juvinille Literature because of the character because of the story, because of the literary devices she uses. but i'm not above realizing the series and its character dont hold a candle to the likes of Narnia, WoT, ASoF&I and others.

I do know one person who would disagree with your assessment of Snape as he named his child after him and called him a great man and a hero. Who was that? Oh right, Harry Potter.

Archived