DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

My time is coming to an end...

Goramier

My time is coming to an end....

You have one question to ask. One question only. Once you hear the answer you die. There is nothing else to life. You don't exist. You get one question and one question only. You get one answer and one answer only.

Of course this is a WoT realated....so..

What do you ask? You ask. You get an answer. You die.

So......what would it be?

Me:

I have seen relations to norse mythology, to the Lord of the Rings, to various chinese cultural monsters and also to such references like Shirlock Holmes, so RJ...after it is all said and done, after the last page is read and we have all discussed the Fisher King to the Warder's mentioned in Shirlock Holmes mysteries....was any...ANY of this story actually YOURS...or was it all basically a replay of everything we have already read, have already seen...and you just simply mulched it up...made it into something else, and sent it back to us?

Answer:

and I die....

so what would yours be?

I would hold off on my question for AWHILE...

But in answer to your question (which I promise I won't kill you for), that's kind of the whole point of the Wheel of Time. EVERYTHING is a rehash, even the people, places, events, etc. There is always another Jesus/Fisher King/England/Tarmon Gaidon/Dragon/whatever. I think that's what RJ was going for, and a key to what makes it so great to read. Jordan crossed genres, tropes, religions, hell he even crossed time with his nations. The fact that he melded all this greatness into one epic tale that flows both on a larger scale in terms of all that I just mentioned and as an individual story that you could read without knowledge of any other literature. That's what makes WOT great.

I'd ask for a detailed account of the Age of Legends, the War and Lews Therin's life etc. :biggrin:!

I'd listen in on his answer since that's what I'd like to know too. But as he asked for the answer, I wouldn't die!

Oi! That's cheating! Don't use me as a sacrifice for your entertainment :tongue:!

I believe I would ask... "What great deed can a man do to become a Hero of the Horn?" So I could try it before I die and live forever through the Horn. not to mention getting to watch the world as it changes through the eras and be reborn to do great deeds and have ppl love me for the things i have done in each life.

I believe I would ask... "What great deed can a man do to become a Hero of the Horn?" So I could try it before I die and live forever through the Horn. not to mention getting to watch the world as it changes through the eras and be reborn to do great deeds and have ppl love me for the things i have done in each life.

Ingtar did it, find something/someone bigger than yourself and act heroically, sacrifice etc.

I think it is harder to live a whole life morally than to earn it in a moment... to earn eternity in a moment, see above

Could I bring someone else to die in my place? I pay well.

bad question - I imagine the answer is no and then you die... Even if the answer is yes, you still haven't brought that person or specified who they are and so the terms of the agreement are one question answered then death.

I would ask what the names of all the people who had ever lived were - in chronological order

If I could only ask one question before I died, I wouldn't waste it on WoT. There are so many questions, questions that have plagued mankind since the dawn of time, and the search for their true answer has driven men to madness. Questions like "what is the sound of one hand clapping?", "if a tree falls in the forest and no-one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?" or "why is orange jam called marmalade?" All good choices for a last question, and if one asked those one could die happy. Alternatively, one could ask a question with no answer, in order to live forever. "How long is a piece of string?", "how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?", and "the end of the Prisoner - what the hell was that all about?" are all good examples of this type of question. But I think really, there is only one choice. My question is as follows:

"Could a swallow carry a coconut?"

Questions like "what is the sound of one hand clapping?",

Flap your fingers against your palm and find out.

"if a tree falls in the forest and no-one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

It makes sound waves but no one is there to receive them. So yes, it makes a sound.

"why is orange jam called marmalade?"

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, "marmalade" appeared in English language in 1480, borrowed from French marmelade which, in turn, came from the Portuguese marmelada. According to José Pedro Machado’s Dicionário Etimológico da Língua Portuguesa, the oldest known document where this Portuguese word is to be found is Gil Vicente’s play Comédia de Rubena, written in 1521:

Temos tanta marmelada

Que minha mãe vai me dar um pouco

In Portuguese, according to the root of the word, which is marmelo, "quince", marmelada is a preserve made from quinces, quince cheese.

Marmelo in turn derives from Latin melimelum, “honey apple”, which in turn comes from the earlier Greek μελίμηλον (melímēlon), from "μέλι" (meli), "honey" + "μήλον" (mēlon), "apple".

"How long is a piece of string?",

As long as you want it to be.

"how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?",

As much as he could.

"the end of the Prisoner - what the hell was that all about?"

Blame drugs.

A swallow is only 0.717 ounces or 20.3 grams.

A 1 pound coconut equals 453.6 grams.

453.6 divided by 20.3 equals around 22.4

So you need around 23 swallows to equal the weight of one coconut.

Swallows can barely carry the extra weight of having digested berries in their stomach.

"Birds have extremely efficient digestive systems for processing food. As flying machines, weight is critical, and they must be able to get sustenance for energy but not carry the added weight. They eat the berries and quickly excrete the seed and indigestible matter."

So carrying a coconut which is 23 times heavier than it is pretty much impossible.

There, go die now :biggrin:!

Questions like "what is the sound of one hand clapping?",

Flap your fingers against your palm and find out.

"if a tree falls in the forest and no-one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"

It makes sound waves but no one is there to receive them. So yes, it makes a sound.

"why is orange jam called marmalade?"

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, "marmalade" appeared in English language in 1480, borrowed from French marmelade which, in turn, came from the Portuguese marmelada. According to José Pedro Machado’s Dicionário Etimológico da Língua Portuguesa, the oldest known document where this Portuguese word is to be found is Gil Vicente’s play Comédia de Rubena, written in 1521:

Temos tanta marmelada

Que minha mãe vai me dar um pouco

In Portuguese, according to the root of the word, which is marmelo, "quince", marmelada is a preserve made from quinces, quince cheese.

Marmelo in turn derives from Latin melimelum, “honey apple”, which in turn comes from the earlier Greek μελίμηλον (melímēlon), from "μέλι" (meli), "honey" + "μήλον" (mēlon), "apple".

"How long is a piece of string?",

As long as you want it to be.

"how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?",

As much as he could.

"the end of the Prisoner - what the hell was that all about?"

Blame drugs.

A swallow is only 0.717 ounces or 20.3 grams.

A 1 pound coconut equals 453.6 grams.

453.6 divided by 20.3 equals around 22.4

So you need around 23 swallows to equal the weight of one coconut.

Swallows can barely carry the extra weight of having digested berries in their stomach.

"Birds have extremely efficient digestive systems for processing food. As flying machines, weight is critical, and they must be able to get sustenance for energy but not carry the added weight. They eat the berries and quickly excrete the seed and indigestible matter."

So carrying a coconut which is 23 times heavier than it is pretty much impossible.

There, go die now :biggrin:!

OK, I'll die, but only because there was nothing in the opening post that specified the answer had to be true or correct in any way.

And the answer goes like this:

Omnipotent answer man (OAM) - So Noj, the thing about girls is...

Noj: Wait a dag on second here. I didn't ask any question about no girls. I wanted to know who killed Asmo.

OAM: yes but this is a topic you know nothing about. Too bad you will never get use any of the information that you are getting ready too learn. Now, where were we. Oh yes. So Noj, the thing about girls is...

Noj: let me get a pencil...

Archived