DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which is your favourite city?

UncleButcher1980

47 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the major cities in The Wheel of Time is your favourite?

• Caemlyn
    • Cairhein
    • Illian
    • Tar Valon
    • Tear
    • Neither, I prefer ______, I'll mention in the thread.

I'm bored, please humour me. Of the five major cities (in terms of size, power, history, architecture, cultural relevance - I'm probably stretching the reality a bit here) is your favourite, and why? Or do you prefer one of the lesser, but no less the better, cities or towns.

I've always had a soft spot for Caemlyn. It makes me think of the (slightly) more innocent, wide-eyed youngster days of Rand and Mat.

Tar Valon is exciting in the earlier books when there are lots of mysteries left, angreals and records hidden in the deeps of the Tower. But it has lost much of its appeal to me now when there seems to be no reason for anyone to be there.

Caemlyn and Cairhien bore me a bit. I think Tear has the most vivid description and the most distinctive feel of the cities I've read about in detail yet (as of LoC).

Chachin, that's my choice. Like balefired ed2 above, I prefer the bad ass Borderland towns. A city there is like a huge fortress of stark beauty...

I'm a norseman myself, I prefer strong winds and cold winters. The Kandori have forked beards (if they are men or extremely unlucky women), that is pure viking style!

Plus Chachin has three mountains rising out of the centre of the city, and the royal palace, the Aesdaishar Palace, is situated on top of the highest mountain, which is about 5,000 feet high. That paints a cool picture in my mind!

Ebou Dar, before the Seanchan take over, when people are just fighting in the streets and stuff. I would go there, if I could channel. It sounds like it would be a blast. Plus, I like all the ridiculous guilds. There's even a guild for beggars. Ebou Dar has got to be the most exciting (and dangerous) place to be in the 3rd Age.

Tar Valon.

Only some borderland cities and Tear come near it in defense capabilities(rivers+Aes Sedai=one city you won't capture unless there's some kind of world war and everyone else is captured already coughseanchancoughshaitanwinscough)and none even gets close in architectural beauty. No crime. Free healthcare if you have the guts to ask for it. If you're lucky you can even get a gal that won't ask you if you'll leave her when she gets old. :rolleyes: Plus I hear it's kind of rich. No famine(excluding Elayda's rule). Hell if they get some Internet running there I'd probably go. :biggrin:

I voted "other" for Ebou Dar. It's certainly the liveliest city we've seen, and the contrast pre- and post- Seanchan occupation is actually interesting. RJ seems to have spent more time coming up with actual customs, architecture, clothing styles, etc., for Ebou Dar than for any other city, and it all came together perfectly. It's convincingly familiar.

My guess on why there aren't any votes for Illian is simply that we haven't seen enough of it to know what it's really like.

well it's certainly not in the poll at least.

And yet, I'll vote for it. For me, Rhuidean has the most promise of all the other cities, because it's built in the fashion of the big cities of the AoL. If they manage to rebuilt everything as it was designed the first time, it will be an awesome city.

And the abundance of water in the middle of the Waste will bring a lot of people to it.

And in the center of the city is Avendesora, which is worth several groves in itself.

Archived