DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Stuff Brandon says

Terez

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Amused Myrdraal handles Lan's ring.

This is something that stands out to me, given the specific author making the comment. After looking, it's been mentioned that Nynaeve's carrying around a ter'angreal that acts as a well. I could easily see her running afoul of a Forsaken or SH himself, those would know what it does and take it from her. The ring might possess some property that acts the same way, allowing Nynaeve an MOA that involves taking down one of them.

Either that, or having Lan die on her and being the first AS to discover that healing death really is possible. Given her progressively powerful accomplishments over the course of the series, I don't see that route as being completely outside the realm of possibility, though I can't say as I like it.

Brandon's latest tweets present a mystery. What scenes have we been expecting and waiting for (as a community - not our personal pet expectations) for a long time? Which ones would 'most' people not expect to contain violence? I'm assuming there is violence involved, but there might not be necessarily. It's just likely. I doubt it's Merrilor, since we haven't been expecting that 'reunion of all major plot lines' very long (2008 at the earliest, when Brandon first mentioned it). So...

1. Rand's reunion with Moiraine. Definitely qualifies for the waiting for a long time bit, fandom-wide. Violence is unexpected.

2. A marriage. Maybe Rand and his three, maybe Egwene and Gawyn. This is weaker than 1 because it's not really a collective expectation that any of them will necessarily tie the knot before the series is done.

3. Um...this is hard because most of our long-waited-for scenes are scenes that could easily turn to violence, or scenes that will undoubtedly have more violence than 'two near-deaths'.

It originated from Twitter - it just didn't show up in people's feeds for some reason. I think it's a new Twitter thing; before it would always include @ tweets if there were characters before the @, whether you followed the @ person or not. Anyway, I notified Brandon of that at the time, since he was obviously trying to send that tweet to everyone by putting words in front of the @.

What about Mat, Perrin and Rand all reuniting?

We've been waiting on that since TSR and they haven't actually occupied a scene all together since TGH. Moreover, I assume most readers wouldn't think the reunion would actually contain violence between the participants and certainly not include two near deaths.

As for the Chekhov Gun, I was toying with the idea that it involves Moiraine saying she is somehow much more dangerous than she previously was. Obviously this includes her learning balefire, and it's somewhat safe to assume she acquired this knowledge and other things during her stay with Adeleas and Vandene, but something about Moiraine's tone always seemed to imply knowing balefire wasn't the full extent of her newfound dangerousness. Could the gun have to do with precisely what all she learned and additionally exactly where, why, and how she learned such things (even if part of that answer is just where, why, and how Adeleas and Vandene themselves learned them, assuming that's where Moiraine acquired the knowledge)?

Furthermore, and out of left field, maybe this is connected to the notes Perrin saw Moiraine writing in during that same group of chapters?

[Edited for grammar]

As for the Chekhov Gun, I was toying with the idea that it involves Moiraine saying she is somehow much more dangerous than she previously was.

That was in chapter 50.

Ah phewy you're right. Without referencing the books, I had in my mind that the fleeling FROM Illian sequence happened pretty much immediately after the fleeling TO Illian sequence. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Thanks =)

Perhaps that violent scene is Rand's meeting with Gawyn. Of course we expected it to turn to violence, but since ToM we might've changed our minds. Still, probably not that, I guess.

Perhaps it's Galad.

Can it be said that anyone expected Egwene to meet her mother again?

Long awaited scene suggestions, allegedly nonviolent edition:

-Elayne taking the Sun Throne

-Darlin becoming King of Tear

-Elayne giving birth (too early?)

-Horn of Valere recovered

-Aviendha conceiving Rand's babies (ahem)

-Matt reunites with Tuon

-Rand kneels before the crystal throne

-Moiraine marries Thom

-Galad marries Berelain

-Darlin marries Caroline

-Galad and Rand half brothers

-Tinker song found

-Ogiers open their Book

-Birgette finds Gaidel

-Aviendha, Elayne, Min, & Rand sort things out (that would be fun if two almost die)

-Cadsuane and Sorilea butt heads

I tend to like one of the reunion scenarios- possibly more than one at the same scene (Rand, Perrin, Matt, and Moiraine, maybe Rand's ladies as well).

Edit- How about all of the sparks gang getting back together?

Long awaited scene suggestions, allegedly nonviolent edition:

-Elayne taking the Sun Throne

-Darlin becoming King of Tear

-Elayne giving birth (too early?)

-Horn of Valere recovered

-Aviendha conceiving Rand's babies (ahem)

-Matt reunites with Tuon

-Rand kneels before the crystal throne

-Moiraine marries Thom

-Galad marries Berelain

-Darlin marries Caroline

-Galad and Rand half brothers

-Tinker song found

-Ogiers open their Book

-Birgette finds Gaidel

-Aviendha, Elayne, Min, & Rand sort things out (that would be fun if two almost die)

-Cadsuane and Sorilea butt heads

I tend to like one of the reunion scenarios- possibly more than one at the same scene (Rand, Perrin, Matt, and Moiraine, maybe Rand's ladies as well).

Edit- How about all of the sparks gang getting back together?

Ogiers opening their book means leaving the world. So I hope we don't see that! or at least not until the very end after the LB

Here are my suggestions based off of the clues given:

- Something to do with Gaul. In Ch 33, we see Gaul for the first time soon before Perrin frees him. Since Gaul is in one of Min's visions about Perrin, I always suspected there may be something important that comes from that relationship.

- Faile. We see Faile for the first time in Ch 33 (the Falcon), and Perrin's first suspicion is that she's a DF. What is she is a DF that started to actually having feelings for her target? This could just be wishful thinking because I hate her so much.

- Gaul tells Perrin (Ch 34), "when the Stone of Tear falls we will leave the Three-fold Land at last. We will be changed, and find again what was ours, and was lost." I think this is the first reference to the Aiel prophecies. It could be the reshaping of the Aiel.

- Rand's behavior with killing the mysterious DF woman (Ch 36) is peculiar. Every other time (until TGS) he is reluctant to kill women and dreads it. Maybe this is a hint of a compulsion that is on him?

- In Ch 37, Egwene has dreams:

- 'Rand threatened in a dozen ways, none of them the least bit real.' This could be a hint of Rand's paranoia/madness or a remark on reality.

- 'Mat being followed by a man who was not there.' It is assumed that this is a Gray Man, but what if it isn't...? Particularly because Egwene thought Gray Man after the fact and didn't "just know" the answer.

- 'Kings dying, queens weeping, battles raging." Aside from Tarabon and Cairhien (which had already happened) can't think of another King that died.

Those are the big ones. I can't really think of anything else that would be of much import.

- Rand's behavior with killing the mysterious DF woman (Ch 36) is peculiar. Every other time (until TGS) he is reluctant to kill women and dreads it. Maybe this is a hint of a compulsion that is on him?

Yeah I've always found this incredibly strange. He didn't even have any solid proof that she was a DF. I'd love for there to be an explanation of this at some point. Well an explanation other than "Rand was seriously messed up".

'Kings dying, queens weeping, battles raging." Aside from Tarabon and Cairhien (which had already happened) can't think of another King that died.

Amadicia and Ghealdan lost their monarchs (does Couladin count?), but I guess this could refer to Rand and Lan?

'Kings dying, queens weeping, battles raging." Aside from Tarabon and Cairhien (which had already happened) can't think of another King that died.

Amadicia and Ghealdan lost their monarchs (does Couladin count?), but I guess this could refer to Rand and Lan?

I think it might be the Borderland army. I could see the Borderland leaders being killed off now that they have served their purpose with Rand.

Well, you might note that (as I mentioned) at least Johanin and Ailron did die after that Dream. Also, Dreams aren't like a foretelling - they only indicate possible futures. Occum's razor suggests that this Dream has been fulfilled by now, and as such this particular gun's been shot already.

Darlin can't die, I believe Min saw him old. [...] Lan won't die at the Gap, he'll go out like Theoden.

Can you support any of that? Might I also mention that Theoden did die in the process of storming an enemy which outmatched his own forces? If Lan receives aid from Rand (or whomever) during his assault on the Gap, the parallel is even better (not that I necessarily subscribe to that comparison).

IIRC, Min did not see Darlin getting old. She saw that he died in bed and that Caroline would outlive him. She mentions it to Rand when he asks about any additional viewings he had of Darlin and Caroline. At work right now, so can't get a quote but I am sure one of the diligent folks on the boards can find one for you.

Archived