DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Stuff Brandon says

Terez

So, something about the Fade having touched Lan's ring, I guess, but I can't figure out what (or how it relates to a Talent for reading ter'angreal - which BTW Nynaeve never displayed except with the Sad Bracelet IIRC - or halls of mirrors).

I think what Nynaeve has is either a weaker Talent for reading ter'angreal than Aviendha, or it's simply a different variant: she senses the emotions of people who used them while Aviendha reads their intended function.

“Is this the time to be doing that?” Nynaeve asked. She straightened hastily from the small cluster of ter’angreal, grimacing and rubbing her hand on her skirt. “That rod feels like . . . pain,” she muttered. The hard-faced woman holding the packhorse’s head blinked at the rod and edged away.

Elayne eyed the rod—Nynaeve’s occasional impressions about objects she touched could be useful—but she did not stop sorting. There had been too much pain lately to need any more, surely. Not that what Nynaeve sensed was always that straightforward. The rod might have been present when a great deal of pain was caused without being the cause in itself.

Aviendha's reading of the same ter'angreal:

Aviendha nodded, but her face held doubt. Hesitantly, she touched a slim black rod, a pace long and so flexible it could be bent into a circle and spring back, lying in the middle of the table. Touched it and jerked her hand back swiftly, wiping her fingers unconsciously on her skirt. “This causes pain.”

“Nynaeve told us that,” Elayne said impatiently, and Aviendha gave her a level look.

“Nynaeve al’Meara did not say you can change how much pain each blow gives.” Uncertainty overcame her again at once, though, and her voice became tentative. “At least, I think that can be done. I think one blow can feel like one, or a hundred.

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about the weaves the 3 girls use to kill the fades after they get captured? They trap them, then (and i think this is it) compress them into a tiny ball (maybe using gravity), then use balefire on them. I think this gravity weave could be it, seeing as they could lift the fades because women are weak when it comes to that.

What about the weaves the 3 girls use to kill the fades after they get captured? They trap them, then (and i think this is it) compress them into a tiny ball (maybe using gravity), then use balefire on them. I think this gravity weave could be it, seeing as they could lift the fades because women are weak when it comes to that.

Wat?

No, it is. I'm talking about the women being 'weak' at lifting with the Power thing. Siuan could lift someone three times her weight before she was stilled, and she's much weaker than Nynaeve.

After reading through the chapters for anything strange I found the part when Rand confronts the woman in the woods. After he kills them and lines the bodies up kneeling to him, the following text stands out "He had been sure there were only ten men, but eleven men knelt in that line, one of them without armor of any sort but with a dagger still gripped in his hand." This could be a gray man but it has never been explained why there was one there. Yes he was being hunted but having both a gray man and Darkfriends in one attack is very strange.

No, it is. I'm talking about the women being 'weak' at lifting with the Power thing. Siuan could lift someone three times her weight before she was stilled, and she's much weaker than Nynaeve.

Yes three times HER weight but the weight of 3 fully armored fades? And lets not forget at this part in the story, the three girls are not at their peak strength. Also even if they could lift the fades it seems compressing them into a tiny ball is an altogether different weave.

After reading through the chapters for anything strange I found the part when Rand confronts the woman in the woods. After he kills them and lines the bodies up kneeling to him, the following text stands out "He had been sure there were only ten men, but eleven men knelt in that line, one of them without armor of any sort but with a dagger still gripped in his hand." This could be a gray man but it has never been explained why there was one there. Yes he was being hunted but having both a gray man and Darkfriends in one attack is very strange.

This has been explained. See the interview database in my sig.

Yes three times HER weight but the weight of 3 fully armored fades? And lets not forget at this part in the story, the three girls are not at their peak strength. Also even if they could lift the fades it seems compressing them into a tiny ball is an altogether different weave.

Yeah...okay. :rolleyes:

He's not just talking about the magic system, but about foreshadowing in general, and how if a character gets a new, unexplained power to solve problems, it's unsatisfactory. Here's an update on the conversation:

BRANDON (30 SEPTEMBER)

Now, to fire a gun that has been sitting on the mantle since the middle (chapters 30-40) of book 3.

TEREZ

Now THAT is a good clue. (The Mat one was not incredibly surprising, but this one will be fun.)

TEREZ

Want to discuss @BrandSanderson's latest A Memory of Light clue? It's a good one!

BRANDON

Theoryland thread on what I just posted: http://www.theorylan...read.php?t=6057 Thanks @Terez27.

BEN KLUGE

Has anyone got close yet:) ?

TEREZ

Pfft, we've barely started yet.

BEN KLUGE

I know—but once we have got started the odds of possibly getting an answer drop from very low to zero.

BRANDON

Ha. I already flirt with giving away too much. I doubt you'll pull anything more from me for a while.

4TH AGE

I'm sure with how conscious you are of us examining your every word you checked, so are you SURE it's in those chapters?

BRANDON

99% sure.

TEREZ

Would you at least confirm you're not talking about 13-13? You referenced that as a Chekhov's Gun before Towers of Midnight...

TEREZ

...and so the association is hard to shake. But it was introduced in The Dragon Reborn 22 and of course already showed up in Towers of Midnight.

TEREZ

And technically, you could be referring to that since we didn't actually see the turning. And 99%. :( ... ;)

BRANDON (5 OCTOBER)

Mat is so much fun to write. The trick, which is hard, is to get the right mix of humor & awesome. One without the other just isn't Mat.

TEREZ

Ahh, confirmation. And good luck with Mat. ;)

BRANDON

Not sure what I'm confirming, but okay. On the thing I tweeted before, it's obviously NOT 13x13. It is cool, but smaller than that.

TEREZ

Cool. I was talking about the fact that you were working on Mat's 'through line'. I had assumed you were. Smaller? Hmm.

Nynaeve seems to have a lesser version of Aviendha's Talent - she can sense more from the ter'angreal than Elayne can, and Elayne is the one that can make them.

I think its a different talent, one related to emotion. Of course we've only seen Nynaeve apply it to ter'angreal, but Moiraine displays something similar with the angreal that Lanfear uses.

ok this may be a little bit off the wall but here goes my suggestion. At the end of chapter 32 when Rand is sitting by himself at his campfire, he is playing a song called "Rose of the Morning" and thinking about the crazy dreams he had been having. The song is mentioned by name 3 times in as many pages. To me that appears a little heavy handed to be just extraneous detail.

Possibilities from 1st Printing DR Mass Market Paperback. Looking for newish/first things that to my knowledge aren't resolved.

Ch 30: Mat in Tar Valon (leaves WT, dicing, Gray Man attack)

- Our first look at Tar Valon? (All stone building, lots of connecting bridges, etc)

- Mat's luck, gambling montage is a bit weird.

- Raab: sailor, dark, tight curly hair, follows Mat around a bit.

Ch 31: Mat meets Thom, they head to the harbor

- Story of Mara and the 3 foolish kings :)

- Crime in Tar Valon.

Ch 32: Mat and Thom on Gray Gull (Capt Huan Mallia), Rand interlude

- Lots of Tairen prejudices though of course Be'lal involved with some.

- How did DF crew know where to find Mat? (Besides reading the script.)

- Rand + prophetic dreams? (Eg,Ny,El trap, Callandor, Min one probably Lanfear but...)

Ch 33: Per, Lan, Mo, Loial in enter Remen (Gaul and Faile and such)

- Darkhound print on Lugard Road (Murandy/Altara border?)

- Darkhound/s went through Remen--after Rand?

- Merchants discussing trouble in Saldaea: Taim maybe, but when?

Ch 34: Perrin frees Gaul

- Perrin's in a fugue too, also Rand maybe. Interesting.

Ch 35: Out of town, enter Faile

- Loial's writing philosophy: he has to like things he writes about

- Faile's story of Orban. Also the Blackwood since we've never been there?

Ch 36: Perrin in TaR

- Enter in fog, Hopper leads to Ishy snatching people into TaR for orders presumably.

- Lanfear and Ishy power struggle, but we have little more on this iirc.

- Scent of darkhounds in TaR when he sees Rand?

- Perrin and being balefired in dream by Rand = weird. Result on waking = weird.

- Mo's notes.

- Rand's wierd merchant party + gray man encounter, but not sure how that could be a Chekov.

Ch 37: Eg, El and Ny's ship quagmire

- Rhododendrons.

Ch 37:

- Who did Suian trust to set up them up with gold?

Ch 38: Eg, El, Ny meet Aiel.

- Maidens: Avi, Jolien, Bain, Chiad, Dailin. Also Bain + Chiad wedded?

Ch 39: Eg, El, Ny captured/rescued but they totally would have been fine

- Adden wants fat cargoes, not women... But we have Cabriana later?

- This group, all DF?

- How do you order up Myrdraal anyway? (Amused but don't smile or anything else noteworthy--one seems better at sensing the power. So maybe the girls did kill an early rev SH.)

- Amused Myrdraal handles Lan's ring.

- Douches with later editions: is it still Melaine that harries Rhuarc west?

Ch 40: Mat and Thom in Aringill

- Who was Aludra shopping whatever to?

So out of the above, the TaR stuff comes to mind, but not up for comparing to later (and don't have ToM anyway). Depends on how far out on a limb you want to go to say the girls killed SH who might hold a grudge but not act on it for 10 books :)

So anyway, tons of characters not seen since. Lots of places we haven't been back to (check out TaR stuff following).

Isn't this the first time Rand kills a woman? Didn't BS say "the first time" something was introduced? Maybe Rand must kill a woman, or be killed by her.

He kills Liah in ACoS, and the merchant is mentioned again at least once (TGS). BS would have to have forgotten both, which is possible.

There's at least a few things I didn't mention, i.e. maybe this is the last time Loial mentions Sung Wood (granted he doesn't talk about too much else so I didn't find it likely--but didn't verify that either). There didn't seem to be that many non-interchangeable objects in these chapters, at least among those that don't come up later like Perrin's bow and axe, but worth considering that it's a literal Chekov's Gun and discount all mentioned objects.

Criteria:

1. Something like GRRM. Makes Brandon think he should either feel awesome, apologize, or take a shower. (Brandon has only read GOT.)

2. Involves a death.

3. Has mythological underpinnings which will provide material for post-AMOL discussion.

4. Is appropriate to read while listening to Minas Tirith theme music.

5. Is a moment of awesome...for someone. Not necessarily the dying person or the somewhat cruel person.

6. Involves cruelty, not necessarily on the part of the MoA person, or the dying person.

7. The cruelty is not necessarily that of a Darkfriend.

My guess would be the death of Perrin, which certainly has the makings of a GRRM book (killing favorite characters) in that his death might make an author feel bad unless culminating in such an MOA as to feel good about it. He's really gotten some keen treatment in the same manner back in ToM, and I can easily see the same in AMoL.

The mythological underpinnings are obvious - Rand, Perrin, and Mat have been repeatedly given links to the Norse pantheon, and if that's following form, Perrin (Thor) is going to die in his final battle, and I'm speculating that it will be Slayer's (Jormungandr) poison that kills Perrin after he takes the man down in the true world, not the Dream. That's a cruel way to go - you think you've won, your army cheers you on, you take the figurative nine steps and fall dead.

I can see it happening, though it's kind of depressing since Perrin's finally got his head together.

There's at least a few things I didn't mention, i.e. maybe this is the last time Loial mentions Sung Wood

We see him do it in TGH.

I think he also sings to Someshta's tree at the end of TEotW.

I thought you took Brandon's comment about Mat to be a confirmation, though? What changed? Oh, and why didn't you tell him that was what you were thinking? He seemed lost :sad:

The latest:

BRANDON

Well, THAT was a scene people have been waiting to read for many books. You know, it's very hard to talk about A Memory of Light without spoilers.

BRANDON

Let's see...what can I say without spoilers? This involves two near-deaths in a scene where most wouldn't expect any. #AesSedaivagueness

MICHAEL ZODDA

The Return of Narg!

BRANDON

Yes, @wordsbyzodda. It's obviously the return of Narg that I'm talking about. The Dark One transmigrated him into a sheep.

Archived