DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Stuff Brandon says

Terez

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shane Crenshaw on Twitter - 2 August 2011

I do have a question for ya. When Rand saved Ituralde from the Trollocs, did he use the True [Power] or saidin?

Brandon

Rand has resisted using the True [Power] except for that one dangerous moment. He can still sense it, though.

Good stuff there.

Oh man.

Good stuff for us readers, but I don't believe that ability is something that Rand wants to have.

I do have a question for ya. When Rand saved Ituralde from the Trollocs, did he use the True [Power] or saidin?

Brandon

Rand has resisted using the True [Power] except for that one dangerous moment. He can still sense it, though.

Good stuff there.

I think he phrased the response in an interesting way. Not only did he let us know that he can still feel the True Power, but like an Aes Sedai he also didn't even answer the question.

This response will just feed into the theory that Rand now has access to some entirely new power since VoG.

Brandon

Good stuff there.

Which means Darth Rand may not be gone for good.

excellent.jpg

Brandon

Good stuff there.

Which means Darth Rand may not be gone for good.

excellent.jpg

From the text itself, we know that he was using OP at Maradon - the Ashaman can see his weaves.

We also know that he can still sense TP - he knows the Guardian at Far Madding blocks the OP only - that is, he can still sense TP inside the Guardian's influence (when he is presumably blocked from OP).

So Brandon tells us nothing we couldn;t have worked out for ourselves - good man!

Completely random here and completely going on instinct (and fear) but this idea just has some truthiness rolleyes.gif to me: either Faile dies (which would be kind of bad) or Min does (which would probably be the only thing that can make this 26 cry like a baby). Anyway, as I said, completely pulling this out of my you know what.

From the text itself, we know that he was using OP at Maradon - the Ashaman can see his weaves.

I was talking about this on Twitter yesterday w/Luckers. What if everyone can see the weaves with the hypothetical Light Power? A balance to the True Power, which no one can see. (I don't think there were any female channelers watching at Maradon, and I don't think Rand channeled elsewhere on screen - he has Narishma make a gateway for him a couple of times.) We know it wasn't the True Power (though every noob seems to think it was), but we don't know for sure it was saidin.

We also know that he can still sense TP - he knows the Guardian at Far Madding blocks the OP only - that is, he can still sense TP inside the Guardian's influence (when he is presumably blocked from OP).

All he said was that if he'd met them a few days before, he'd have used the True Power on them. He didn't say he could still sense it.

So Brandon tells us nothing we couldn;t have worked out for ourselves - good man!

:rolleyes:

What if everyone can see the weaves with the hypothetical Light Power? A balance to the True Power, which no one can see. (I don't think there were any female channelers watching at Maradon, and I don't think Rand channeled elsewhere on screen - he has Narishma make a gateway for him a couple of times.)

We know there were AS in Maradon at the time so they could have witnessed it. Don't think any were mentioned in that scene though...

What I understand with the "Broken Crown" is that that is what the crown of Saldaea is called. Am I wrong or did I miss something?

Why do people seem to indicate the "broken crown" as an indication that someone sill die?

I think this has to do with a Viewing Min had of Perrin:

'A wolf, and a broken crown, and trees flowering all around him. ' (EotW15)

He's now married to Faile, whose father Davram Bashere is uncle to Queen Tenobia of Saldaea, so she's the queen's cousin.* If the Broken Crown in Min's viewing means the throne of Saldaea will pass to Perrin, that means Tenobia at least has to die. I don't think she has any children.

* if I've got my relationships straight..

In Nynaeve's accepted testing Lan mocks southern nations for not having joint monarchies when telling Nynaeve she is Queen of Malkier. That does seem to suggest the Borderlands as a whole maintain joint monarchies, though its not 100%.

In Nynaeve's accepted testing Lan mocks southern nations for not having joint monarchies when telling Nynaeve she is Queen of Malkier. That does seem to suggest the Borderlands as a whole maintain joint monarchies, though its not 100%.

I thought about mentioning that, but Ethenielle had a prince consort (Brys) rather than a king consort.

I thought about mentioning that, but Ethenielle had a prince consort (Brys) rather than a king consort.

Good point.

Also...

Brandon

Also, the Minas Tirith theme is playing on Pandora. Perfect.

Terez

Gah, now you've got me thinking Boromir/Gawyn.

Brandon

Some good mythological underpinnings and references in this scene, as I believe RJ would have done.

Brandon

If I ever get to write the annotations for this book as I plan, this scene will be a nice one to talk about.

Brandon

One of the challenges in writing these books is to get mythology right. Not too overt, with careful references. RJ left help, fortunately.

Dunno if his last three tweets had anything to do with my comment, but I figured I'd throw it in there since it might have been.

Gawyns death IMO.

(Spoilers for Lord of the rings if by some chance, the one person in the world who hasn't read the series is on here! and for ToM)

Boromir dies, who is from Minas Tirith. I think he's being over obvious to try and make us overlook it.

Plus add in this viewing on Egwenes... ACoS - Chapter 10

In the way of dreams she floated above a long, straight road across a

grassy plain, looking down upon a man riding a black stallion. Gawyn. Then

she was standing in the road in front of him, and he reined in. Not because

he saw her, this time, but the road that had been straight now forked right

where she stood, running over tall hills so no one could see what lay

beyond. She knew, though. Down one fork was his violent death, down the

other, a long life and a death in bed. On one path, he would marry her, on

the other, not. She knew what lay ahead, but not which way led to which.

Suddenly he did see her, or seemed to, and smiled, and turned his horse

along one of the forks.... And she was in another dream. And another.

Another. And again.

I think becoming her Warder has lead him onto the violent death path. He'll marry her, be happy...and then Wham!

And that will be a major plot point for Egwene, Elayne, Galad...

Just my opinion like ;)

This is from the Glossary of ToM it's mentioned "The husband or wife of a Saldaean ruler is not simply a consort, but an almost co-equal ruler.".

Interesting for that to be mentioned now... There's also some info about Malkieri customs that I don't recall seeing before ("In death, [Malkieri women] would be marked with all three [ki'sain], one of each color, whether she had ever married or not") that made me a bit paranoid that Nynaeve's going to die.

Archived