A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Stuff Brandon says

Terez

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also...

Brandon

Also, the Minas Tirith theme is playing on Pandora. Perfect.

Terez

Gah, now you've got me thinking Boromir/Gawyn.

Brandon

Some good mythological underpinnings and references in this scene, as I believe RJ would have done.

Brandon

If I ever get to write the annotations for this book as I plan, this scene will be a nice one to talk about.

Brandon

One of the challenges in writing these books is to get mythology right. Not too overt, with careful references. RJ left help, fortunately.

Dunno if his last three tweets had anything to do with my comment, but I figured I'd throw it in there since it might have been.

Gawyns death IMO.

(Spoilers for Lord of the rings if by some chance, the one person in the world who hasn't read the series is on here! and for ToM)

Boromir dies, who is from Minas Tirith. I think he's being over obvious to try and make us overlook it.

Plus add in this viewing on Egwenes... ACoS - Chapter 10

In the way of dreams she floated above a long, straight road across a

grassy plain, looking down upon a man riding a black stallion. Gawyn. Then

she was standing in the road in front of him, and he reined in. Not because

he saw her, this time, but the road that had been straight now forked right

where she stood, running over tall hills so no one could see what lay

beyond. She knew, though. Down one fork was his violent death, down the

other, a long life and a death in bed. On one path, he would marry her, on

the other, not. She knew what lay ahead, but not which way led to which.

Suddenly he did see her, or seemed to, and smiled, and turned his horse

along one of the forks.... And she was in another dream. And another.

Another. And again.

I think becoming her Warder has lead him onto the violent death path. He'll marry her, be happy...and then Wham!

And that will be a major plot point for Egwene, Elayne, Galad...

Just my opinion like ;)

More relevant tweets:

Terez on Twitter - 17 August 2011

http://bit.ly/wotidbegwene Regarding my first question on Gawyn (near the top), would you still answer it the same way, knowing...

Terez

...the dream predicted Gawyn's death rather than Egwene's? (You didn't let me finish telling you the dream. :p)

Brandon

Hm... I'm going to have to look back at that dream again. Got a page number for me?

Terez

I have hardbacks (ACOS 10, pp 201-2), but @ewot might be more helpful (CTRL-F 'marry') http://bit.ly/nCVVAB

Terez

I realized the wording wasn't very clear on @ewot. Here's the full quote: In the way of (cont) http://tl.gd/cerquf

He never did comment on that again. And I realized I tagged @e_wot wrong later. :madmyrddraal:

If saldea had a joint monarchy in the way the phrase is used here, Deira would be ahead Faile in the line of succession as long as Davram Bashere is alive.

No, the line of succession still goes by blood most of the time. The claim is Bashere's, but if he were to take the throne, Deira would be his queen consort.

I don't actually see it in that Min's particular viewing, Perrin inheriting the Saldaean Crown. But I did get the impression somewhere that Faile was next in line to the Throne after Tenobia. I think that's during the time she was posing as a hunter of the horn during the early books. (I'll try to find that)

So, GRRM-esque, in the Wheel of Time and Brandon has only read the first novel. And it is an excellent series, by the way. Knowing what transpires in Martin's world and what happens in Jordans/Brandon's, I cant see much of a juxtaposition. BUT....

I like Ataxia's idea. Perhaps someone DOES get tossed out of a tall tower. I like Suffa/ Elaida as a candidate for that, dying to save the White Tower, but if it was truly in the style of GRRM it would be Olver who was thrown out of a window with Mat murmuring "The things I do for love" as he turns back to his love.

I suppose one of the many kings can be killed by a boar as well.

Or Rand can discover while looking for his own family that all people with curly black hair and blue eyes are the bastard offspring of Robert Baratheon.

I think it has to do with a character being murdered to preserve a secret. Since he thought about Game of Thrones while writing the scene it was probably a character we like or one that was fairly honorable. My vote is Dobraine dying or being the one that kills to preserve his secret. Either one would be pretty GRRMish.

• 2 weeks later...

People at Theoryland seem to think this is exciting, so I'll post it here:

Brandon

An important moment in #AMoL centers on one character turning to another and asking, "How much do you trust Mat Cauthon?" How much indeed.

Personally, I didn't find it to be a very shocking tweet. Mat is the 'center of all', whatever that means, and obviously his importance to the Seanchan truce (whatever form it may take) is paramount.

Brandon

An important moment in #AMoL centers on one character turning to another and asking, "How much do you trust Mat Cauthon?" How much indeed.

Personally, I didn't find it to be a very shocking tweet. Mat is the 'center of all', whatever that means, and obviously his importance to the Seanchan truce (whatever form it may take) is paramount.

maybe it is Selucia asking Tuon?

Brandon

maybe it is Selucia asking Tuon?

Or Elayne asking Birgitte

Archived