DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Stuff Brandon says

Terez

On Twitter

Dang. I just pulled off something in #AMoL that is GRRM-esque. I'm not certain if I should apologize, feel awesome, or go take a shower.

I have already made my guess on Twitter (as has Luckers; we're quick like that), but the sky's the limit!

(I will drop the interesting tidbits from Twitter here until AMOL probably, unless others beat me to it which of course anyone is welcome to do because it saves me work.)

• Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine was a joke, I think your idea--that he's written in the head of a character we hate in a way to make us like them--seems pretty solid. I was thinking maybe 'Suffa'.

Actually, that's a better idea for the character in question than any I came up with. I already want to give Moridin a hug, and just because I want Demandred to get buttraped by Shaidar Haran doesn't mean I don't love him. Elaida, on the other hand, can suck it.

Also...

Brandon

Also, the Minas Tirith theme is playing on Pandora. Perfect.

Terez

Gah, now you've got me thinking Boromir/Gawyn.

Brandon

Some good mythological underpinnings and references in this scene, as I believe RJ would have done.

Brandon

If I ever get to write the annotations for this book as I plan, this scene will be a nice one to talk about.

Brandon

One of the challenges in writing these books is to get mythology right. Not too overt, with careful references. RJ left help, fortunately.

Dunno if his last three tweets had anything to do with my comment, but I figured I'd throw it in there since it might have been.

Mine was a joke, I think your idea--that he's written in the head of a character we hate in a way to make us like them--seems pretty solid. I was thinking maybe 'Suffa'.

Actually, that's a better idea for the character in question than any I came up with. I already want to give Moridin a hug, and just because I want Demandred to get buttraped by Shaidar Haran doesn't mean I don't love him. Elaida, on the other hand, can suck it.

Actually to combine my joke about a Red Wedding, and your idea (and my idea about your idea)... I would reckon a PoV from 'Suffa' in which she dies might be a nice way. Like a The End of Punishment kind of scene, in which we see just how broken Suffa is, completely unable to recall her life as Elaida, which causes her to go into near seizures... that sort of thing.

... and though she could not say why, her last thought was of a white tower stretching high and proud into the sky. The Tower, and regret....

It just better not be Cadsuane.

It can be argued he has already done that with Faile. Her POVs in TGS and TOM are certainly quite different from how she is portrayed by those who hates on her.

So to make it worth a comment, it would have to be Suffa (if it's her) doing something epic, like breaking free and burning Tuon and her minions alive. Which we kinda know will not happen.

Terez, I saw this on Brandon's Twitter feed earlier. What do you think?

Brandon: "Writing Amol makes me tired. There are a lot of exhausted people in this novel."

It's not surprising. They won't be able to afford much sleep with the Shadow attacking in so many different places. There's so much going on.

To add to what Brandon said earlier, from the reddit interview:

Axelkappa: You previously mentioned on twitter a GRRM-esque moment in AMoL. Any more on that? In the end are you going to apologize or feel awesome?

Brandon: When the book is out, ask me about this. I'll tell you which one it was. It's something I was struggling with, trying different takes on. Finally, some things came together. I'll say more, but I'll put it in spoiler text. (It's not very spoilery, but some people don't want to know anything.) [it is a moment of awesomeness, but also is somewhat cruel. There is a death involved. It could be from the side of the Light, it could be from the side of the Shadow.

Also important: he's only read GOT. So he likely doesn't know anything about the Red Wedding, unless someone has spoiled the books for him.

If he has only read GOT and we limit his knowledge to that book, I would say that the moment has something to do with betrayal as that was a major theme in GOT. Either that or the death of a major well liked character. I worry that this could be Perrin based on the setup coming out of Towers of Midnight.

If he has only read GOT and we limit his knowledge to that book, I would say that the moment has something to do with betrayal as that was a major theme in GOT. Either that or the death of a major well liked character.

Or both. :myrddraal:

Criteria:

1. Something like GRRM. Makes Brandon think he should either feel awesome, apologize, or take a shower. (Brandon has only read GOT.)

2. Involves a death.

3. Has mythological underpinnings which will provide material for post-AMOL discussion.

4. Is appropriate to read while listening to Minas Tirith theme music.

5. Is a moment of awesome...for someone. Not necessarily the dying person or the somewhat cruel person.

6. Involves cruelty, not necessarily on the part of the MoA person, or the dying person.

7. The cruelty is not necessarily that of a Darkfriend.

If it is Perrin, it could be Faile's Moment of Awesome. Maybe her reaction is to go Medievel on whoever killed Perrin ???

That begs the question as to what happens to the the prediction that all three Wonder Boys had to at the Last Battle for Rand and the Light to have a chance? If Perrin is killed before then, then is the Light lost?

If it is Perrin, it could be Faile's Moment of Awesome. Maybe her reaction is to go Medievel on whoever killed Perrin ???

That begs the question as to what happens to the the prediction that all three Wonder Boys had to at the Last Battle for Rand and the Light to have a chance? If Perrin is killed before then, then is the Light lost?

Not necessarily. He may do a Hopper, and operate in T'A'R.

Archived