DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Stuff Brandon says

Terez

Guest Emu on the Loose

Wow! But why give out the codes so early? Am I missing something?

Edit: Never mind. I just saw the dedicated thread for this.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 309
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Mat Cauthon" -- how many people normally use his surname and dimunitive together? The Aiel and Seanchan use "Matrim" + "Cauthon". The Two Rivers-ites generally use Mat.

Maybe a TR-ite trying to be formal? Or Elayne to Rand? Or Egwene to Nynaeve?

Perhaps Moraine. She has referred to him as Mat Cauthon numerous times.

I could see Davram saying that quite easily - most of the military planning for dealing with Couladin was worked out by Bashere and Rhuarc, IIRC, and Rand was eager to see what Mat could add to the mix. Then, in the plan for Illian, Mat and Bashere were closely involved again. I could see this referring to some particularly bold plan cooked up by Bashere and Rand with a big potential for going wrong, perhaps enough to make Bashere doubt Mat's security clearance.

Could be Logain, either - I'm guesing the channelers male and female will be occupied with all manner of Blightborn nasties, and maybe Rand wants Mat to be CIC for all of the 'ordinary' armies.

Could be lots of people saying it, really. Mat's battle abilities are becoming fairly well known, but only Rand, I think, knows where his knowledge comes from. Also it could be someone gambling on Mat's luck in front of someone incredulous.

The only things that make it possibly noteworthy:

When they travelled from near Tear to Chaendaer by Portal Stone, I think, Mat was rambling for a few seconds about how he wouldn't betray Rand. Strange.

Mat is married to the Seanchan Empress. Avi has some good reason to be more than anti-agreement with Seanchan, and it would be obvious to be insecure about sharing full security clearance with the Prince of Ravens, or whatever his proper title is now.

SOOOOO looking forward to this book.

Guest Emu on the Loose

I knew it. I mean, given how much was left unfinished from TGS and ToM, it's like more than half of the original "last book" story hasn't even been told yet. To do AMoL in just one book is going to feel crazy anyway. Every extra ten or twenty pages will blunt that shock a little bit. If I weren't already impossibly impatient for the ending, I'd say that AMoL should itself be split into another three books. But, at this point, I'll settle for the shock. So, yes please! Make it as long as you like, Brandon. Make it as long as you can! I bought this wheelbarrow and I want to get some use out of it.

I've listened to the first four Ice and Fire only once so I maybe missing something. Don't the characters Martin kills die pointlessly, maybe Gawyn sleeps with someone other than Egwene, decide he must marry the serving maid for honor. Egwene shows up at the wedding feast, hacks everyone to bits with a cuendillar sword, then commits decide by jumping on the suddenly talking sword.

Guest PiotrekS

I've listened to the first four Ice and Fire only once so I maybe missing something. Don't the characters Martin kills die pointlessly, maybe Gawyn sleeps with someone other than Egwene, decide he must marry the serving maid for honor. Egwene shows up at the wedding feast, hacks everyone to bits with a cuendillar sword, then commits decide by jumping on the suddenly talking sword.

Would be cool :biggrin:

For today's #AMoL work, I'm jumping back in the book a little ways and catching up a character to the rest.

And then, 2 hours later:

Just finished re-reading some important bits of WoT Book Two in order to write this next section of #AMoL.

Mat/the Horn? The Seanchan? Lanfear? Min? Something about Cairhien? Something else?

For today's #AMoL work, I'm jumping back in the book a little ways and catching up a character to the rest.

And then, 2 hours later:

Just finished re-reading some important bits of WoT Book Two in order to write this next section of #AMoL.

Mat/the Horn? The Seanchan? Lanfear? Min? Something about Cairhien? Something else?

The Ogier? Or perhaps Fain?

And then, 2 hours later:

The Ogier? Or perhaps Fain?

I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the many things Verin set into motion as well. I expect a lot of people's paths in AMoL will be paved by knowledge provided to them by Verin in one of her many letters, and she had a fairly significant role in Book 2.

My guess from his first tweet was Aviendha, but I'm not sure how that ties in with Book 2.

Yep, hopefully either Mat & his music maker or repercussions/ revelations of Verin's letters.

Actually, in which book did Moiraine go visit Adeleas and Vandene? I always wondered what it was that one sister had said that tickled her mind, 'an answer to a question she hadn't asked' I think was the phrase? I chewed over it a good few times and couldn't make anything of it.

Yep, hopefully either Mat & his music maker or repercussions/ revelations of Verin's letters.

Actually, in which book did Moiraine go visit Adeleas and Vandene? I always wondered what it was that one sister had said that tickled her mind, 'an answer to a question she hadn't asked' I think was the phrase? I chewed over it a good few times and couldn't make anything of it.

It was in tGH.

TGH22, I think:

http://encyclopaedia-wot.org/books/tgh/ch22.html

“I fear I must leave you,” Moiraine said. “Lan, will you ready the horses?” As he left, she said, “I will leave letters with you to be sent on to the White Tower, if you will arrange it.” Adeleas nodded absently, her attention still on the thing on the ground.

“And will you find your answers where you are going?” Vandene asked.

“I may already have found one I did not know I sought. I only hope I am not too late. I will need pen and parchment.” She drew Vandene toward the house, leaving Adeleas to deal with the Draghkar.

i thought it was obvious what moiraines part in the last battle was...

to put ishy over her knee and tell him off for being a naughty little boy

That's Cadsuane. Moiraine would simply raise an eyebrow, tacitly inferring Ishamael was being unreasonable. There would be a slight widening of the eyes, a display of surprise at his poor manners. Her lips would curl ever so slightly, in the vague amusement one has for an unruly child, and before he knew it Ishamael would be brushing down Aldieb.

Guest PiotrekS

i thought it was obvious what moiraines part in the last battle was...

to put ishy over her knee and tell him off for being a naughty little boy

That's Cadsuane. Moiraine would simply raise an eyebrow, tacitly inferring Ishamael was being unreasonable. There would be a slight widening of the eyes, a display of surprise at his poor manners. Her lips would curl ever so slightly, in the vague amusement one has for an unruly child, and before he knew it Ishamael would be brushing down Aldieb.

Masterful :biggrin:

Zach from 17th Shard was kind enough to ask three WoT questions for me at a West Jordan signing the other night.

ZAS678 (TEREZ)

In Nynaeve's Accepted test, Lan tells her that Malkier is a joint monarchy, which he says is a Borderland custom. Later we find out that Kandor is not a joint monarchy, but Saldaea is. Is Nynaeve queen of Malkier now that Lan has finally declared himself king?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Lan does not consider himself King, because he has no kingdom. The answer to that is, depends on your perspective. He has agreed to lead the Malkier—he has not agreed to be king. It's different. See how Aes Sedai I answered that? (laughter)

AUDIENCE MEMBER

Try telling Nynaeve she's not a queen. (laughter)

BRANDON SANDERSON

I won't forget Nynaeve yet, but I don't think she's fully realized what she's getting into yet, with him.

FOOTNOTE—TEREZ

I guess Lan says it best (last scene in Towers of Midnight): "I am al'Lan Mandragoran," Lan bellowed. "Lord of the Seven Towers, Defender of the Wall of First Fires, Bearer of the Sword of the Thousand Lakes! I was once named Aan'allein, but I reject that title, for I am alone no more. Fear me, Shadow! Fear me and know. I have returned for what is mine. I may be a king without a land. But I am still a king!"

ZAS678 (TEREZ)

Robert Jordan often said that he intended to plant a 'hook' in the last scene, a teaser for an unresolved issue. Was this 'hook' something he planned to explore in the outriggers?

BRANDON SANDERSON

Yes, and he actually wrote that part. You'll see it when the book comes out, and it's one of the lines that will go in unchanged. Sorry!

ZAS678 (TEREZ) When Lan tracked down Myrelle in Lord of Chaos, she used the bond to Compel him to come to her, in such a way that he wouldn't detect it. Did she have to use the bond to seduce Lan, or did he just go along because he didn't have anything better to do?

BRANDON SANDERSON

(laughter) I'd have to look that one up. I don't know. I'd have to look it up. I don't have the answer to that one. We'll call that one a MAFO though. I'm actually curious myself (laughter).

Hmm. Interesting. I wonder... Cos I keep thinking about Moiraine's role in the last battle - clearly she's hugely important, with Min's viewing and Mat's eye... Wonder what she's gonna do.

Make sandwiches. Have you noticed how none of the Forces of Light have a Quartermaster Corps? Napolean wasn't kidding, an Army travels on its stomach.

Just imagine how many sandwiches she could make with her shiny new angreal.

See from Brandon's tweets this morning/ last night, depending on your location, it seems that the first draft of AMOL is near as dammit done... Most recent tweet mentioned #4 of 20 scenes remaining to be done was nearly there. Yay! Here's hoping for an early Sept release. Quite how I'm going to manage to hold the bloody concrete block sorry book at the same time as four month old twins I haven't figured out yet...

2 scenes to go. Brandon will finish on 12-21-11 the world is supposed to end on 12-21-12. Maybe there is something to this 2012 stuff after all.

There is actually something to this 2012.

Sun spot cycle occurs every 11 years, but every 100 years a monster tsunami of sun spot activity occurs = disaster for our high tech world.

Prominent physicist Michio Kaku on it (see YouTube)

The way the WoT is going, ultra polish for the final book, I would not be surprised if we never get to see it.

Archived