DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Forsaken... what should we do with them.

jsbrads

What is the proper response to capturing a Forsaken.  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Instantly Balefiring Forsaken?

• A good idea
    • The best idea
    • No, we need to interrogate them.
    • Other (write below)

I voted for "other" because I didn't see an option for, "Re-write them as at least remotely threatening baddies."

Seriously, they're the most disappointing thing about the series. I'm not sure what you could do at this point to add any real sense of threat or menace from the Foresaken.

I voted for "other" because I didn't see an option for, "Re-write them as at least remotely threatening baddies."

Seriously, they're the most disappointing thing about the series. I'm not sure what you could do at this point to add any real sense of threat or menace from the Foresaken.

Good call...hoping Demy steps up and does something to change this.

I disagree. I think they were written really well, similar to the Aes Sedai, in how at the beginning of the series, we believe they're perfect entities, however, as the series progresses, and we learn more about them and read more from their pov's, we see their mortality, and their weaknesses. They domn't seem so frightening because we read from their prospective so much. With the exception of Demandred, they're all very familiar.

I disagree. I think they were written really well, similar to the Aes Sedai, in how at the beginning of the series, we believe they're perfect entities, however, as the series progresses, and we learn more about them and read more from their pov's, we see their mortality, and their weaknesses. They domn't seem so frightening because we read from their prospective so much. With the exception of Demandred, they're all very familiar.

I'm of this opinion too.

What were people expecting the Forsaken to have done, just band together and balefire their way to victory?

IIRC, only Sammael actually prefers a physical fight.

They would have succeeded in most of their plans (which happened to include control of the juiciest chunks of the continent, and utter distruption of the rest of the world) if it wasn't for Rand. Granted, a few of them died from arrogance/stupidity, but they were in the first three books, so we can forgive that :tongue:

I put other, here's what I'd do with them:

Round em all up, shield em, dress em in purdy clothes, and turn them into a traveling vaudevillian style show where they get pelted with tomatoes and cow patties on a nightly basis. You can even call them "The Traveling Wheelburys" if it please you, maam.

Being written similar to a bunch of women who squabble like 5 year olds when they are supposed to be among the most learned and powerful people in the world isn't a very big point in their favor.

It's not so much that they're human and familiar. It's that they've been failing horribly since the beginning of the series. Overconfidence in their demigod status only goes so far. These guys were thrashing the Light in the War of Power. Now they can't even do what Ishamael and some Dreadlords did in the Trolloc Wars.

No one has walked so long in the shadow that they cannot come back into the light.

I agree. Up until Rand's VoF struggle, the Forsaken were, if not the most powerful (although more powerful than most), the most knowledgable. They must know weaves from the AoL of great value in the new age (from healing to mundane actions).

+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

No one has walked so long in the shadow that they cannot come back into the light.

And mass murders don't deserve a 2nd chance. Not to mention that none of them have shown an inclination to redeem themselves. It's way too dangerous to leave a rapid dog sitting around hoping to train it to behave itself while you hope that you can cure it. The dog needs to be put down as quickly as possible.

And mass murders don't deserve a 2nd chance. Not to mention that none of them have shown an inclination to redeem themselves. It's way too dangerous to leave a rapid dog sitting around hoping to train it to behave itself while you hope that you can cure it. The dog needs to be put down as quickly as possible.

I agree, so continue using the dog analogy....

A dog who has bitten someone can be trained to not do so again, but must always be watched closely and dealt with carefully.

A dog who has killed someone must be put down, no matter how much I love dogs.

The Forsaken have tortured and murdered countless people. They are all basically socio- or psychopaths. They have nothing to offer which would justify allowing them to live, justice for all the death and suffering they have willingly and eagerly caused is demanded.

Agreed.

Generally I am not in favour of capital punishment, however, that is in our world where there is no risk that the BA or Shadar Haran will free them.

I would've balefired all of the Black Ajah sisters as well; we don't want the Lord of the Grave transmigrating their souls do we? This is such a weird position for me to take considering I am against torturing and/or executing Al Queda terrorists, war crimes, etc.

It's not so much that they're human and familiar. It's that they've been failing horribly since the beginning of the series. Overconfidence in their demigod status only goes so far. These guys were thrashing the Light in the War of Power. Now they can't even do what Ishamael and some Dreadlords did in the Trolloc Wars.

Light only got thrashed because they did not know there was a DO for years while DFs starting gather =ing resources and power. Greandal was pulling a Lord Voldemort, by breaking/converting ppl.

Archived