DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How does Slayer know Rand is his nephew?

Pandemonium

So anyway, how does Slayer know this information?

I believe the fact that Slayer does know that he is a relative of Rand might have some signficance in the Last Battle. The series is gearing up to have a family reunion of sorts near/on Shayol Ghul. Galad appears to know that he is Rand's half-brother thanks to a letter from Verin. Galad/Slayer/Rand will combine all of Rand's relatives into one epic finale. But why is this so important? Anyone have any ideas? Clearly Slayer will have a major role or Perrin would have already killed him off in ToM.

Ok I feel stupid, I thought Slayer was talking about Lan.

I first also thought this. But then he would have thought of his "cousin". Not "nephew". But maybe you've read it in another language? In Dutch "cousin" and "nephew" is the same. That's why I thought he was talking about Lan.

Ok I feel stupid, I thought Slayer was talking about Lan.

I first also thought this. But then he would have thought of his "cousin". Not "nephew". But maybe you've read it in another language? In Dutch "cousin" and "nephew" is the same. That's why I thought he was talking about Lan.

Well that makes me feel a little better. :smile: I'm from the US so no excuse for me. :happy: And I was thinking that Isam was old enough to be Lan's uncle at the time then basically forgot about it. :huh:

Isam is Lan's cousin, Luc is Rand's uncle. This is from the Theoryland interview database.

DragonCon 4 September 2005 - Emma reporting

Frenzy: How can Slayer know that Rand is his nephew?

Jordan: The Shadow knows a lot about Rand. They know a lot about Perrin and Mat too - once they began to identify possibilities, they went hyper trying to get information because anything might be part of the key to controlling him.

So there you go.

Oh yeah, I just got an image for the final book.

Rand: My name is Rand al'Thor, you killed my biological father, prepare to die.

Slayer: Stop saying that.

Perin (jumping out of nowhere): For HOPPER!!!!!!!! (chops slayer's head off)

Rand: Oh come on, what the heck is wrong with you people, first Mat kills Couladin, now you kill Slayer.

Rand: Oh come on, what the heck is wrong with you people, first Mat kills Couladin, now you kill Slayer.

That's gold :laugh:

Rand wouldn't be able to defeat Inigo Montoya in a duel. He could own Mandy Patinkin though, that dude sings showtunes.

• 2 weeks later...

No worries, Rand gets Padan Fain.

Unless Gitara was a darkfriend and Luc was sent to the blight for evil, I'm thinking Perrin and Slayer are going to have to work together to kill Fain. After all Slayer wants fain dead for team dark and Perrin may shortly learn that he wants Fain dead for team GoldenEyes. Of course even if they do kill Fain I don't believe it's the end, Mordeth probably has to be at Shayol Ghul. It doesn't seem likely Gitara was a darkfriend unless believed he needed a live dragon but then lost track of him.

Unless Gitara was a darkfriend and Luc was sent to the blight for evil, I'm thinking Perrin and Slayer are going to have to work together to kill Fain. After all Slayer wants fain dead for team dark and Perrin may shortly learn that he wants Fain dead for team GoldenEyes. Of course even if they do kill Fain I don't believe it's the end, Mordeth probably has to be at Shayol Ghul. It doesn't seem likely Gitara was a darkfriend unless believed he needed a live dragon but then lost track of him.

Agreed, on Gitara, just because you do something that helps the DO, doesn't mean that your a darkfriend and Luc probably had to be out of the way to become slayer for a reason.(maybe in AMOL ) :biggrin:

Sometimes bad things create the environment for destiny, she was telling them from a prophecy (i guess).

maybe having Isam on our side until now (while he was an inherently flawed person) would have been worse as he leads all the borderlands into a trap when he finally turns to DF as an adult with lots of power...

Gitara sent Rand's mother in the Aiel's desert. She knew what she was doing. I'd like to meet her some day. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure if your being funny with the rolleyes or not... but you do know that Gitara is dead? She died in New Spring giving the Foretelling of Rand's birth.

Unless Gitara was a darkfriend and Luc was sent to the blight for evil

It's entirely possible Gitara had no idea what would happen to Luc in the Blight. She may have foretold a need for him to go there, but had no idea what would occur.

After all, even though he's naughty, Slayer is in part responsible for Perrin accepting the mantle of Lord in the Two Rivers, which is a huge place. Had Perrin not been annoyed with Lord Luc for Faile, he might never have snapped about the shoddy preparations he had made in the Two Rivers. And too, without Slayer Perrin would never have brough the Dreamspike to Tar Valon and Mesaana may never have fallen.

I've always argued that Elaida's foretelling that the Royal Line of Andor was key meant just that... that the entire Line was key. Rand, Morgase, Tigraine, Elayne, Gawyn, Galad--they've all played their parts. So too has Slayer.

Archived