DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Wtf egwene?

tyanth

Would you have her simply ignore the fact that he came into her seat of power, and announced that he was freeing the dark one?

She had to take a stance. And she made the right one with the knowledge she had.

And could she not have waited to have additional knowledge (which Rand said he would give her) before taking a stance? She still could have done everything she has done. She just wouldn't be making an instinctive decision.

No.

He basically showed no respect for her or the tower's authority, and said he was breaking the seals. And you want her to do nothing for a month? And when they get more info what can they do if they are right? They be unprepared to do anything?

The rest of the tower fears him. They consider him warbringing, murdering, madman. Do you think they would stand to sit back and do nothing while he destroys the world? There would be a new person on the seat by the end of the day. And who ever they picked would not trust him an inch.

Why should he show her any more respect that he shows Taim and the balck tower. The Aes Sedai are at the same level as the Ash'man and the Dragon is above both of them.

you think egwene trusts him a millimetre?

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I see where the problem is.

Egwene supporters are arguing that she is right to oppose Rand based on how he explained nothing, basically stated he had no plans for after the seals were broken and may still have sanity problems from her perspective. Egwene's detractors on the other hand are arguing that her decision to oppose Rand breaking the seals came far too quickly and that she is not even allowing for the possibility that Rand is correct.

To be honest, I think both sides have some merit. I really don't like Egwene, but her trepidation regarding the seals is totally understandable given the possibility of the Dark One's influence extending still further over the world. Neither her nor any of her Aes Sedai supporters know what might happen when the seals are broken, though undoubtedly it would be something bad. She is reacting exactly like any normal person would when told that an ultimate evil is about to be unleashed.

And therein lies the problem. She's acting like a normal person, rather than the Amyrlin Seat, leader of the White Tower which, for better or worse, has stood strong through 3000 years of history. A leader must consider every possibility and never jump to conclusions, which Egwene automatically did when Rand went to see her. She is not going to Merrilor to discuss breaking the seals, she is going there with her mind already made up with no willingness whatsoever to discuss anything. Even if your local Messiah figure is widely suspected of being insane, to simply dismiss his claims outright and never even consider that he may have a point is really quite shortsighted. Even when Nynaeve, Elayne and the Wise Ones claim that Rand has changed for the better, she still stubbornly clings to her own conclusions.

Maybe if Rand treated her like the Amyrlin Seat and not just another Monarch he needs to either manipulate or sweep aside, she'd be in a better position to make those decisions. Instead, given that she MUST make the decision, but has no details, and can't investigate since it seems he'll do it imminently, the only rational option is to oppose the perceived ill-conceived plan by gathering support that will add the required weight to her words.

The Amyrlin Seat is no longer the head of the most powerful community in the world so there is no need to show her any extra respect. The power of the WT and the Amyrlin is at present greatly reduced with the presence of the Black Tower.

Egwene will still be an important leader after the Last Battle -- Rand won't be. So you can argue his relative importance now, but he's a rental. And he, himself, has shown concern for the state of the world post-TG before. Why would he stop now? Egwene is likely his best bet for ensuring that things are put right after he's gone. He should be treating her more as a partner than a pawn.

The fact of the matter is that we have no idea what will happen to Rand after the Last Battle. He might die. He might live. He might remain in the public eye, or he might retire somewhere quiet to live out the rest of his life in peace. If he does live, he will be greatly revered - the Fourth Age histories scattered throughout the novels seem to paint him as a wonderful Messiah figure. To describe him as a 'Rental' is a joke; history will likely remember the Dragon for far longer than it will remember an Amyrlin Seat.

In any case the White Tower's power will be greatly diminished after TG. We have the Wise Ones, the Windfinders and the Black Tower as rival organisations. No matter what happens the Aes Sedai will never be as powerful and influential as they were when the books began. Egwene is just another ruler, albiet one who currently has more influence than the rest.

hate to break it to you but once rand retires the supreme leader or all chanellers would be egwene and logain.

not nynaeve, moraine, silvia, cadsuane or anybody else. Egwene herself

The black tower will be vapourised and the aes sedai will clean up all the mess rand allowed to fester with taim and his cronies. The ashaman under logain will move in with aes sedai in tar valon with that massive tower elaida was building.

once tarmon gaidon is over, it will be left to egwene and logain to take over the reins. The wiseones, sea folk and the kin are all tied to the bargain made by egwene.

so yeah, all the folks here hoping for a massive power degrade for the white tower will be very disappointed come the end of AMOL.

Egwene AND Logain..no more female Aes Sedai running around doing as they wished. Their power has already being cut 50% as now they share with the Ashaman.

I wouldn't call it that simple, whilst I agree with you in principle. The White Tower is still, I would argue, the more powerful of the two organisations, politically. It has been in place for centuries, "Rulers bow before the Amyrlin Seat", most rulers have AS advisors. It's just a nation, yes, if you will, but it is still a very powerful and influential nation. No, I wouldn't say Egwene is the equal of the DR, but I can see why she is useful to manipulate.

That said, I do agree that, post TG, once the lack of the taint becomes even more widely known than it currently is, and men channeling are no longer regarded with such fear, then the White Tower and Black Tower are either going to have to join together, work together, or simply put up with each other. Both will contain powerful channelers, both will be seen as strong powers. Either the Black Tower will have their own leader- probably Logain- or there will be two joint leaders, one male and one female. Either way, the influence of the Amyrlin herself decreases- she is no longer the sole important leader in the world.

There are also several different groups of female channelers- Seafolk Windfinders, Aiel Wise Ones, the Kin, etc. I imagine Seafolk and Aiel male channelers will also be seen differently than they currently are, and will probably also have increased roles within their own cultures, I doubt very much they will all become Asha'man. Whilst the female portions of this group have an agreement with the AS, about exchanging apprentices, I doubt that they will willingly lose their independence to any great extent, and become simply extensions of the WT. This is rambling a little, but essentially my point is, that cultures such as the Aiel and Seafolk have their own channeling organisations, potentially to be added to by male channelers now the taint has gone, not to mention organisations like the Kin, in the Westlands- the White Tower are no longer the sole channeling organisation in the world, even if we discard the Black Tower.

In addition to this, we have already seen that, despite the influence of the WT, despite the fact that Egwene is putting pressure on the rulers to side against the DR, many are considering siding with Rand, or at least sitting on the fence. Several are saying that they will not risk their nations by sending all their army to back the WT up, to Egwene herself, whereas we hear before, tales of AS battering down rulers and generals' plans that are against the interests of the WT, even if they are in the interests of the relevant nation. It appears to be increasingly less the case that when the Amyrlin says "Jump!" the rulers ask "how high?". The Seanchan remain in charge of a goodly portion of Randland, and, with the exception of the channelers, a lot of people seem to be happy under their rule. I don't see them leaving any time soon, though I imagine some sort of peace will be organised, forbidding them from attacking other nations, and dealing with the matter of local channelers. Assuming the Seanchan remain where they are, there's not going to be AS advisors and influential politicians in place in these nations, the WT and BT will not have outward influence here.

Once again, the post is ramblier than I intended, but essentially:

- Yes, there are many more channeling organisations that have emerged that are either the "equivalent" of the WT in other cultures, or are potential "rivals" to the AS in the Westlands, suggesting that the power of the White Tower will decrease in the next Age.

- Yes, there are signs even now that their influence and power are dwindling.

HOWEVER they are still seen as a powerful, influential organisation for the time being, and the Black Tower simply don't have that kind of influence yet. The Amyrlin is still seen as a powerful world leader, even if as a character, she's an irritating little nit. I wouldn't say the Black Tower has reduced their power, they have kind of been doing that on their own. I also wouldn't say Egwene should be treated with more respect than other rulers, but if rulers are to be treated with respect by the DR, then yeah, I guess she should have respect, too. Of course, one could argue that that goes both ways, and she certainly doesn't speak to Rand as an equal at first, not to mention his appalling treatment at the hands of AS that she could have, and didn't, apologise for on behalf of the WT.

I wouldn't call it that simple, whilst I agree with you in principle. The White Tower is still, I would argue, the more powerful of the two organisations, politically. It has been in place for centuries, "Rulers bow before the Amyrlin Seat", most rulers have AS advisors. It's just a nation, yes, if you will, but it is still a very powerful and influential nation. No, I wouldn't say Egwene is the equal of the DR, but I can see why she is useful to manipulate.

That said, I do agree that, post TG, once the lack of the taint becomes even more widely known than it currently is, and men channeling are no longer regarded with such fear, then the White Tower and Black Tower are either going to have to join together, work together, or simply put up with each other. Both will contain powerful channelers, both will be seen as strong powers. Either the Black Tower will have their own leader- probably Logain- or there will be two joint leaders, one male and one female. Either way, the influence of the Amyrlin herself decreases- she is no longer the sole important leader in the world.

There are also several different groups of female channelers- Seafolk Windfinders, Aiel Wise Ones, the Kin, etc. I imagine Seafolk and Aiel male channelers will also be seen differently than they currently are, and will probably also have increased roles within their own cultures, I doubt very much they will all become Asha'man. Whilst the female portions of this group have an agreement with the AS, about exchanging apprentices, I doubt that they will willingly lose their independence to any great extent, and become simply extensions of the WT. This is rambling a little, but essentially my point is, that cultures such as the Aiel and Seafolk have their own channeling organisations, potentially to be added to by male channelers now the taint has gone, not to mention organisations like the Kin, in the Westlands- the White Tower are no longer the sole channeling organisation in the world, even if we discard the Black Tower.

In addition to this, we have already seen that, despite the influence of the WT, despite the fact that Egwene is putting pressure on the rulers to side against the DR, many are considering siding with Rand, or at least sitting on the fence. Several are saying that they will not risk their nations by sending all their army to back the WT up, to Egwene herself, whereas we hear before, tales of AS battering down rulers and generals' plans that are against the interests of the WT, even if they are in the interests of the relevant nation. It appears to be increasingly less the case that when the Amyrlin says "Jump!" the rulers ask "how high?". The Seanchan remain in charge of a goodly portion of Randland, and, with the exception of the channelers, a lot of people seem to be happy under their rule. I don't see them leaving any time soon, though I imagine some sort of peace will be organised, forbidding them from attacking other nations, and dealing with the matter of local channelers. Assuming the Seanchan remain where they are, there's not going to be AS advisors and influential politicians in place in these nations, the WT and BT will not have outward influence here.

- Yes, there are many more channeling organisations that have emerged that are either the "equivalent" of the WT in other cultures, or are potential "rivals" to the AS in the Westlands, suggesting that the power of the White Tower will decrease in the next Age.

HOWEVER they are still seen as a powerful, influential organisation for the time being, and the Black Tower simply don't have that kind of influence yet. The Amyrlin is still seen as a powerful world leader, even if as a character, she's an irritating little nit. I wouldn't say the Black Tower has reduced their power, they have kind of been doing that on their own. I also wouldn't say Egwene should be treated with more respect than other rulers, but if rulers are to be treated with respect by the DR, then yeah, I guess she should have respect, too. Of course, one could argue that that goes both ways, and she certainly doesn't speak to Rand as an equal at first, not to mention his appalling treatment at the hands of AS that she could have, and didn't, apologise for on behalf of the WT.

I agree. The Black Tower is stronger in terms of its military ablilities, but at this point in time, they are really just Rand's army. They aren't going to get people to listen to them that easily. The White Tower is stronger politically.

That you..atleast some one notices that the power of the Amyrlin in on a inevitable downward spiral from where it was at the beginning of the books.

Egwene has to pretty much beg the rulers to send their armies to FoM today..hardly the same as the time the Aes Sedai demanded what they wanted.

I agree. The Black Tower is stronger in terms of its military ablilities, but at this point in time, they are really just Rand's army. They aren't going to get people to listen to them that easily. The White Tower is stronger politically.

They don't need to..if I was a ruler,I would request BT backing and ask the Aes Sedai to go to hell if they continue interfering. And there is nothing the Amyrlin can do about it.

They don't need to..if I was a ruler,I would request BT backing and ask the Aes Sedai to go to hell if they continue interfering. And there is nothing the Amyrlin can do about it.

Only because you have a very different perspective than the people who actually live in Randland. For one, a male channeler has been our hero since book 1. For them, male channelers are the ones who destroyed the world. Most people don't even know the male half is clean, and those who heard often don't believe it. Aes Sedai are still going to be the go-to people for all the common folk. NO one petitions the M'Hael for anything. They still line up for the Amyrlin.

Only because you have a very different perspective than the people who actually live in Randland. For one, a male channeler has been our hero since book 1. For them, male channelers are the ones who destroyed the world. Most people don't even know the male half is clean, and those who heard often don't believe it. Aes Sedai are still going to be the go-to people for all the common folk. NO one petitions the M'Hael for anything. They still line up for the Amyrlin.

At the moment they'll probably still turn to the Aes Sedai & the truly important people to the Amyrlin, but I'm not so sure they'll still turn to the WT after the Seanchan attack it. I foresee that the Aes Sedai will be crushed by the Seanchan and will in fact need outside help merely to survive. If the Aes Sedai actually worked together, they might only get a light beating, but from what I've seen the last time the Seanchan attacked all the Aes Sedai are individual channelers who will hardly work together, except for Egwene (one of the few positive things I can say about her), but she's probably at the FoM when the Seanchan attack.

I think that the countries bordering the occupied territory might in fact turn to the BT for help against any possible invasion after the attack on the WT, as to them it will look as if the AS don't stand a chance (& I think they're correct).

With it's numbers diminished, I think the WT will call back all the AS currently acting as advisors to strengthen the tower & I doubt that any self respecting king would ask them to come back (or ask the asha'man to replace them). They'll probably think they can manage themselves.

So as a military power, the BT might gain some importance soon, but otherwise it will stay unimportant. The WT will only lose power. How much power they lose depends on wether they get a light or heavy beating by the Seanchan.

If the WT loses enough AS (let's say 2 out of 3 AS), it might not even be unthinkable that the AS will move to the BT, just to remain safe, or that they ask the asha'man to move to the WT (it's just too bad that the WT is full of darkfriends, but the AS don't seem to be aware of that (yet)).

You would request for BT backing? Do you think you'll get it? What do you have to offer to (probably) the strongest army in Randland?

They're strong channelers, yes, but they haven't really expressed much desire to ally with anyone except Rand. And I doubt they'll be willing to do your dirty work in getting rid of Aes Sedai, if you decide to get on the bad side of the White Tower.

You would request for BT backing? Do you think you'll get it? What do you have to offer to (probably) the strongest army in Randland?

They're strong channelers, yes, but they haven't really expressed much desire to ally with anyone except Rand. And I doubt they'll be willing to do your dirty work in getting rid of Aes Sedai, if you decide to get on the bad side of the White Tower.

They probably wouldn't give it, unless it was against a common enemy like the Seanchan.

Somehow I doubt anyone is going to be telling the AS to go to hell. Especially since the two groups will be working together...

and the guardians balance the servants

Because everybody knows that The Black Tower and the Asha'man are Rands personal army, they even recruit people asking if they want to fight for the lord Dragon.

Not to pick nits, but isn't the Black Tower more of Taim/Demandred/Moridin's personal army? Seems like the Ashaman are going to pose a pretty big problem for Rand in the final book.

Taim's cronies make up only a small percentage of the Black Tower's population. It's hardly under his complete control; we've seen that there's Logain's faction, the Two Rivers faction and many others who are unaligned. Of course, Taim's followers are all full Asha'man, so I guess that gives him an advantage, but calling the entirety of the BT Taim's army is stretching things.

Logain announced he had taken half the tower out to various places in Randland to either defend against the Seanchan or the Trollocs and co. As for rest of the tower, Taim has his cronies, but I doubt it's the majority of what's left inside the tower.

Because everybody knows that The Black Tower and the Asha'man are Rands personal army, they even recruit people asking if they want to fight for the lord Dragon.

Not to pick nits, but isn't the Black Tower more of Taim/Demandred/Moridin's personal army? Seems like the Ashaman are going to pose a pretty big problem for Rand in the final book.

More than 1/2 of the tower are under the direct command of the Dragon and are in the field...of the rest in the tower the majority are not with Taim. I would say around 20-25% are with Taim, the same percentage of the Black Ajah among the Aes Sedai.

As with everything in the Wheel of time universe..there is a balance between the female and male chanellers...the Aes Sedai are no more cleaner or superior in anyway to the Asha'man regardless of what they think.

More than 1/2 of the tower are under the direct command of the Dragon and are in the field...of the rest in the tower the majority are not with Taim. I would say around 20-25% are with Taim, the same percentage of the Black Ajah among the Aes Sedai.

As with everything in the Wheel of time universe..there is a balance between the female and male chanellers...the Aes Sedai are no more cleaner or superior in anyway to the Asha'man regardless of what they think.

But unfortunately Taim's Asha'man are pretty much stronger than the rest, and what with the 13*13 turning going on....

And in the Wheel of Time universe, contrary to your personal opinion, most of the people in Rand's world still think that Aes Sedai are cleaner (maybe not superior in terms of fighting) than Asha'man. We know they aren't, but then again, there's a reason why we're the readers and they the characters...

Somehow I doubt anyone is going to be telling the AS to go to hell. Especially since the two groups will be working together...

That doesn't really say that they'll be working together.

I agree. Remember when the Jedi thought that "bring balance to the force" meant destroying all the Sith, an then they found it it really meant kill all the Jedi until there were as few as there were Sith. Prophecy is a dangerous thing =)

13*13 turning does not make them any stronger in the one power..

But Taim's special classes make them much more dangerous...

More than 1/2 of the tower are under the direct command of the Dragon and are in the field...of the rest in the tower the majority are not with Taim.

Is this correct? I had no idea Rand had that many Ashaman with him out in the field. That is a much larger force than anything we have read about.

I would say around 20-25% are with Taim, the same percentage of the Black Ajah among the Aes Sedai.

Actually the WT has already dealt with rooting out the BA in their midst. There may be a few scattered but far less at this point than the BT. As for Randland's perception of the Ashaman, yes we as readers know the Taint is gone but most in the story don't. Your average citizen wouldnt think they were "more cleaner".

True but I think it is a likely interpretation. May not happen the day after the last battle but we will get mention of it in AMoL I'd wager.

More than 1/2 of the tower are under the direct command of the Dragon and are in the field...of the rest in the tower the majority are not with Taim.

Is this correct? I had no idea Rand had that many Ashaman with him out in the field. That is a much larger force than anything we have read about.

I would say around 20-25% are with Taim, the same percentage of the Black Ajah among the Aes Sedai.

Actually the WT has already dealt with rooting out the BA in their midst. There may be a few scattered but far less at this point than the BT. As for Randland's perception of the Ashaman, yes we as readers know the Taint is gone but most in the story don't. Your average citizen wouldnt think they were "more cleaner".

True but I think it is a likely interpretation. May not happen the day after the last battle but we will get mention of it in AMoL I'd wager.

I believe it's in CoT that Logain reports to Rand that half the ashaman (including all those with bonded aes sedai) are out of the BT. On Rand's orders of course.

As for ashaman and aes sedai working together in aMoL, I agree, it's rather likely. But then with the Last Battle and the fate of the world hanging in the balance, they don't really have a choice.

Taim's classes make them more dangerous than the training the Ashaman with Rand get just by watching him in action?..deathgates,fire arrows etc

In KoD Logain brings more than half of the tower out at Rand's orders.

I expect the DF's at the BT to be routed a lot before the last battle...I just wanted to point out that the percentage of DF's among Asha'man is pretty much the same as that was in the Aes Sedai.

Archived