DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Wtf egwene?

tyanth

Did RJ say that women were better at healing than men..reading from the books, every Asha'man is taught healing and Flinn seems as good a healer as anyone.

Imho, an AS who only healed could heal more than an AM who fought and healed, assuming both are equal in every other way.

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the other hand, the Kin are advanced Healers, and there's a possibility that AS who survived being stilled or burned out (like Setalle Anan) who joined the Kin could be Healed and returned to fully trained AS status.

I dunno why everybody is so hung up on the battle power of the AS. A good healer can turn 10 soldiers into 100, as anyone whose played a cleric in an RPG would know.

Did RJ say that women were better at healing than men..reading from the books, every Asha'man is taught healing and Flinn seems as good a healer as anyone.

I believe Moghedien said that men were better at some forms of healing, which probably means that women are better at other forms of healing.

If my understanding is correct (and it may not be!), linking has a pretty large flaw. I feel like you could just shield the weakest channeler in the circle. And then we know that the whole circle would not only release, but they'd get the jarring effect that leaves them dazed. Pretty devastating.

The question I suppose is can you shield anyone to break the linking or does it have to be the person in control.

Edit: Removed unrelated quotes

Shielding always seemed to me just to be a plot device. When it's needed to hold, it's unbreakable (pretty much every single time the wondergirls get captured.) When it's needed to be broken, it is (Dumai's wells, Taim's escape, etc.)

It has to be the person in control..when Egwene was fighting the seachan linked in a circle she was using the sangreal to fight off efforts to shield her. As the others in a circle do not actually tap the OP but just provide a conduit it makes sense.

Shielding always seemed to me just to be a plot device. When it's needed to hold, it's unbreakable (pretty much every single time the wondergirls get captured.) When it's needed to be broken, it is (Dumai's wells, Taim's escape, etc.)

It is consistent that you need to be extremely strong in the OP to break out of a shield..Rand,Taim and Logain are probably the strongest people in the OP aside from the male forsaken. Stronger than the wondergirls so it makes sense they would need more people to hold them in a shield.

It has to be the person in control..when Egwene was fighting the seachan linked in a circle she was using the sangreal to fight off efforts to shield her. As the others in a circle do not actually tap the OP but just provide a conduit it makes sense.

I guess it brings everyone up to the same level. So what flows through the circle is as strong as the total -- just 1 person controls it.

I believe Moghedien said that men were better at some forms of healing, which probably means that women are better at other forms of healing.

Speculating here, but given tendencies in power I wouldn't be surprised to find that men are better at healing disease and cancer (i.e., kill and destroy what shouldn't be there), as well as quick and dirty make-do battle field work, while women are better at healing old injuries and more complex injuries. My speculation is that you'd effectively prefer a guy as your paramedic and a woman as your surgeon.

Speculating here, but given tendencies in power I wouldn't be surprised to find that men are better at healing disease and cancer (i.e., kill and destroy what shouldn't be there), as well as quick and dirty make-do battle field work, while women are better at healing old injuries and more complex injuries. My speculation is that you'd effectively prefer a guy as your paramedic and a woman as your surgeon.

Men being much stronger = ability to shield a woman who is wielding saidar.

With this dexterity bonus, the strongest woman maybe able to weave almost as many weaves as the strongest man, however, in a one-on-one face-to-face confrontation, she would be at a disadvantage.

Thus, Rahvin's comment in FoH: "Could he have overwhelmed you face-to-face? Not that he himself could not, if it came to it, or Sammael, though Grandael would likely link with Lanfear if either of the men tried."

In Rand's battle with Lanfear, he was trying to think of a way to shield her, but he had forgotten how to (he shielded both Elayne and Egwene at once in tSR). Keep in mind that he had hardly gained his full OP strength back then, and Lanfear at that time was using the "near" sa'angreal that Moraine left for her.

However, aside from a one-on-one confrontation, I would say the women have an advantage due to the ability to link, for the same reason (OP strength).

With this dexterity bonus, the strongest woman maybe able to weave almost as many weaves as the strongest man, however, in a one-on-one face-to-face confrontation, she would be at a disadvantage.

Thus, Rahvin's comment in FoH: "Could he have overwhelmed you face-to-face? Not that he himself could not, if it came to it, or Sammael, though Grandael would likely link with Lanfear if either of the men tried."

In Rand's battle with Lanfear, he was trying to think of a way to shield her, but he had forgotten how to (he shielded both Elayne and Egwene at once in tSR). Keep in mind that he had hardly gained his full OP strength back then, and Lanfear at that time was using the "near" sa'angreal that Moraine left for her.

However, aside from a one-on-one confrontation, I would say the women have an advantage due to the ability to link, for the same reason (OP strength).

Also, I believe that RJ said that if Rand had let LTT help him then he could have beaten Lanfear. And Rand was obviously nowhere near his full potential then. Just one book ago he was only as strong as Asmodean, the weakest of the male forsaken. Which is still quite strong of course, but there's a fair difference with his full potential.

Tend to agree with this, but only if the person controlling is particularly adept in combat, which most Aes Sedai are probably not. Only because you can tweak my false assumption from earlier. All you need to do is kill one of the people in the circle and it's game over for all of them. And no one except the leader can do anything defensive.

Which may bring up another problem of number of weaves. There will be times, I'd assume, when more channelers (meaning more weaves) is better than 1 channeler with bigger weaves. While the person leading a circle could control more flows than before just out of pure power, they'd likely be inexperienced with multi-weaving unless they are usually particularly strong (Nynaeve, Egwene, and the like). And evens so, it still wouldn't be as many more flows than are lost. So if you link 13 Aes Sedai together, you get 1 really strong channeler, but you lose 12 weave makers. And the Aes Sedai's numbers are pretty low at the moment.

I suppose the practical example is the groups of 3 at the cleansing. They could have easily all linked into 1 circle but it was decidedly better to have more smaller circles to fend off multiple targets. So while linking is powerful, it effectively lowers your numbers.

Tend to agree with this, but only if the person controlling is particularly adept in combat, which most Aes Sedai are probably not. Only because you can tweak my false assumption from earlier. All you need to do is kill one of the people in the circle and it's game over for all of them. And no one except the leader can do anything defensive.

Which may bring up another problem of number of weaves. There will be times, I'd assume, when more channelers (meaning more weaves) is better than 1 channeler with bigger weaves. While the person leading a circle could control more flows than before just out of pure power, they'd likely be inexperienced with multi-weaving unless they are usually particularly strong (Nynaeve, Egwene, and the like). And evens so, it still wouldn't be as many more flows than are lost. So if you link 13 Aes Sedai together, you get 1 really strong channeler, but you lose 12 weave makers. And the Aes Sedai's numbers are pretty low at the moment.

I suppose the practical example is the groups of 3 at the cleansing. They could have easily all linked into 1 circle but it was decidedly better to have more smaller circles to fend off multiple targets. So while linking is powerful, it effectively lowers your numbers.

The problem with a circle is, when you think about it, that it's very unwieldy. Only 1 person can weave yes, but also all members of the circle have to stay together. Which means that the circle can easely be surrounded. A cirle would best be used at a chokepoint or as a sort of artillery, like Rand, Egwene and Aviendha against the shaido. The only way it could be in the thick of fighting (fighting with power I mean) would be if it has the support of lot's of individual channelers. Otherwise it seems like there would be too many weaves to take care of for the channeler in charge of the circle.

The problem with a circle is, when you think about it, that it's very unwieldy. Only 1 person can weave yes, but also all members of the circle have to stay together. Which means that the circle can easely be surrounded. A cirle would best be used at a chokepoint or as a sort of artillery, like Rand, Egwene and Aviendha against the shaido. The only way it could be in the thick of fighting (fighting with power I mean) would be if it has the support of lot's of individual channelers. Otherwise it seems like there would be too many weaves to take care of for the channeler in charge of the circle.

This.It's kinda surprising how the forsaken didn't just surround them and throw balefire at them.Since the only way for Rand's people would be for them to dodge them, they should have gotten a couple of kills, which should destabilize the circles at least.

Archived