DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Vote] Originals vs. Covers - which do you prefer? (Current Vote: Songs 191 and 192)

Corki

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just checking I have not voted - nope, I haven't. Anyway, my vote is for No Doubt.

If you are interested in running this next week with 2 songs, please PM me before tomorrow evening (i.e. 10pm GMT).

Song 39: Poison

Time for a bit of metal, but two differing styles as Alice Cooper takes on Tarja Turunen.

ORIGINAL: Alice Cooper

Cooper's 1989 single was a big hit, reaching number 2 in the UK and number 7 in the US. One of the music videos caused a bit of controversy as the model was forced to cover up in a corset - from just her thong.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1c14Z0YUTU

vs.

COVER: Tarja Turunen

Ex-Nightwish lead singer, Tarja Turunen covered Cooper's song for her 2007 album, My Winter Storm. She is Finland's most succesful singer with 3 gold awards and 3 platinum awards, and has been called "the voice of Finland" by Tarja Halonen, the Finnish president.

Voting ends Thursday 19th November 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

Song 40: Battle of Evermore

Song 40 sees some folk rock as Britain and (North) America go head-to-head as mandolin playing comes to the forefront!

ORIGINAL: Led Zeppelin

Released in 1971, inspiration for the song came as guitarist Jimmy Page awas experimenting on the mandolin. Lyric inspiration came from Scottish folklore and Tolkein.

vs.

COVER: Heart

The Wilson sisters are the mainstay of the group, which has seen many change in personel over the years. The sisters first covered the song in 1996 when a duo, but the group Heart covered it in 2003 for their concert in Seattle.

Voting ends Monday 23rd November 2009 at 11pm (GMT)

I will be doing the next one of these in about 4 hours time...so you have between now and then to PM me if you are interested in running this thread this week. Remember, it counts as an activity for roll call points.

Archived