DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Bela

Goldstar

In Eye of the World we learn many new things about the series. Among these is a statement about channeling. First, we learn that (at least with women), you develop a link with the first person you channel on. This is stated by Moiraine when talking to Nyn. Now, we believe that the first time Rand channels on someone is when he channels into Bela to restore her energy (Egwene was riding her). We don't know how this link may effect a man, let a lone a Ta'veren. But is it possible that this link is helping to keep Bela alive so long, due to some Ta'veren luck juju?

Inb4Bela=creator

Yeah Bela has spent the past while in safety (whether that was Salidar or wherever), if memory serves me right, the only time that Bela was really involved in a flight and fight scene was in the beginning when Egwene rode her.

Also cause I totally geeked out on this and had my book handy.

To quote:

An affinity develops. YOu can sense the presence of someone you have Healed.

Rand did not Heal Bela, but rather simply rid her of fatigue. Is it not? So that affinity would not have developed.

I've always thought that was one of those things included in the 1st Book, which RJ thought better of later. I mean come on - Yellows would be feeling an affinity to thousands of people, if that were true!

I've always thought that was one of those things included in the 1st Book, which RJ thought better of later. I mean come on - Yellows would be feeling an affinity to thousands of people, if that were true!

Good point - I haven't gotten to that part in my reread yet - the gang are just making their escape from Shadar Logoth now. It'll be interesting to read exactly what Moiraine says on the subject. Maybe the healer only feels an afinity with someone they have healed that they have a personal / emotional attachment to.

Or maybe its just one of those things RJ included that he thought better of later on...

hehehe

Rand might be have had hard luck with his horses

I forgot how many horses he had, but he did hold on to Tai'daishar for some time now.

What were the names of the horses he had before and after Red?

The two I remember are Tai'Daishar and Jeade'en (sp?)

Rand might be have had hard luck with his horses

I forgot how many horses he had, but he did hold on to Tai'daishar for some time now.

What were the names of the horses he had before and after Red?

The two I remember are Tai'Daishar and Jeade'en (sp?)

Now I'm feeling the urge to geek out and scan through every book to find the names and fates of Rand's horses.

Must. Resist.

Must. Resist.

The internet does a much quicker job:

Cloud was the one he rode out of the TR. Lost in SL.

Then he receives Red in Caemlyn (from master Gil). He rides Red until Falme, where Ishamael materializes from the mist and causes Rand to start flying or whatever. We never see Red again.

Rand reverts to the Aiel way on his journey to Tear, but then he takes Jeade'en from the Stone when he leaves for Rhuidean. I don't think anything really happens to Jeade'en, he probably still is in the Sun Palace stables.

Finally, Rand takes Tai'daishar from Kiruna after Dumai's Wells, which he kept with him until now.

Must. Resist.

Then he receives Red in Caemlyn (from master Gil). He rides Red until Falme, where Ishamael materializes from the mist and causes Rand to start flying or whatever. We never see Red again.

Rand reverts to the Aiel way on his journey to Tear, but then he takes Jeade'en from the Stone when he leaves for Rhuidean. I don't think anything really happens to Jeade'en, he probably still is in the Sun Palace stables.

Finally, Rand takes Tai'daishar from Kiruna after Dumai's Wells, which he kept with him until now.

Hah, yeah, I was just poking around on Encyclopaedia WOT and found the listing of the horses and their mentions pretty quickly. I remember reading the chapter summaries a few months ago between re-reads and finding it curious that they made a point of mentioning the horses... so I thought the horse chronology wouldn't be that tough to find there. :tongue:

Edited to add: Jeade'en is last mentioned in Caemlyn during LOC prior to Rand's kidnapping, after which he gets Tai'daishar... so I'm guessing Jeade'en was left in Caemlyn.

Must. Resist.

Good job! :-)

First, we learn that (at least with women), you develop a link with the first person you channel on. This is stated by Moiraine when talking to Nyn.
Actually, the link is with anyone the woman Heals.

Archived