DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Has anyone played Dragon Age?

alykyn

I don't know if anyone's played Dragon Age, but if you had maybe you've noticed similarities like,

'The Blight' ie: The Blight

'The Fade' ie: Tel'aran'rhiod

'Dream Walkers' ie: Dream Walkers, Dreamers etc

'Darkspawn' ie: Shadowspawn

'Being made Tranquil' ie: Being Gentled (or Stilled)

etc etc etc

I've played it, and hadn't noticed those, but I guess you're right. That's crazy how many similarities there are.

I know! I didnt notice it either until I kept hearing more and more terms. I just wish they'd have made a WoT game

like Dragon Age: Origins!

Yeah, I noticed the similarities it aswell. I think they created enough other things to make it different though. In DA2 there is a lot less Wheel of Time parallels.

On the note of WoT RPG, I would love one made similar to Oblivion format. YOu could go join the WHite or Black Tower, become a Darkfriend, gray man, Whitecloak, Aiel, Windfinder etc...

Yeah, I noticed the similarities it aswell. I think they created enough other things to make it different though. In DA2 there is a lot less Wheel of Time parallels.

On the note of WoT RPG, I would love one made similar to Oblivion format. YOu could go join the WHite or Black Tower, become a Darkfriend, gray man, Whitecloak, Aiel, Windfinder etc...

Except the part where you train your spells.. that part seemed really fun at first and then after awhile I was like ENOUGH! I dont want to

stay in a bedroom practicing spells for 68 hours, Ive got better things to do. LOL

But that is where the similarities end, the game world is completely different, as are the enemies (Ogres), final bosses (real Dragons) etc.

Dragon Age I and II, great games.

Bioware (EA) what a great gaming company, created classics like Baldur's Gate and BG II.

The first one yes, the second , not so much.

It's different.

In some ways, it's a lot more ambitious. DA:O is a standard "You are the Hero, and You Shall Save the World" epic. It's the Wheel of Time or Lord of the Rings of video games. DA2 is more like getting three novellas in the worlds of A Song of Ice and Fire or the Gentlemen Bastards. It's not really something that very many developers have tried. The supporting cast of DA2 isn't as strong as the DA:O cast: no Morrigan, no Allister, and no Leliana (Sten, Shale, Wynne, Oghren, and Zevran don't really have much depth to them, though Zevran is more entertaining than Isabela). On the flip side, there was a deeper connection between the characters; knowing things like that Fenris was playing Diamondback with Aveline's husband once a week was a neat little aside that cast light on his character. On a technical basis, DA:O was better. I got bored of doing the same areas over and over again in DA2.

I think that DA:O was a better game, but DA2 did have improvements - the dialog system is a big one, the talent trees are another positive change. I'd rate DA:O as being a 95% or so, with DA2 as being a 84% or so.

The first one yes, the second , not so much.

It's different.

In some ways, it's a lot more ambitious. DA:O is a standard "You are the Hero, and You Shall Save the World" epic. It's the Wheel of Time or Lord of the Rings of video games. DA2 is more like getting three novellas in the worlds of A Song of Ice and Fire or the Gentlemen Bastards. It's not really something that very many developers have tried. The supporting cast of DA2 isn't as strong as the DA:O cast: no Morrigan, no Allister, and no Leliana (Sten, Shale, Wynne, Oghren, and Zevran don't really have much depth to them, though Zevran is more entertaining than Isabela). On the flip side, there was a deeper connection between the characters; knowing things like that Fenris was playing Diamondback with Aveline's husband once a week was a neat little aside that cast light on his character. On a technical basis, DA:O was better. I got bored of doing the same areas over and over again in DA2.

I don't find the comparison to be apt but sure...

Personally, it irked me how no matter what you did , things went to hell and back.Sure, Bioware had a story to tell but it would be nice if I wasn't playing an interactive movie as far as the story is concerned.That and a few other things like in order to force the moral "dilemma" making every other mage a bloody psycho .The dialog was a step back though the aptitude system on the responses was awesome.There's nothing like going to the red light district with Hawke and hearing in a sarcastic voice : "Ah, the brothel.My day is now complete."

Fun fact about Dragon Age, the generic Iron Ring piece of equipment is described as a serpent eating its own tail. Just based off that, it doesn't seem like Bioware is trying to hide the fact WoT heavily influenced Dragon Age.

so i got Dragon Age Origons 2 days ago and popped it in last night ... i'm enjoying it. i'm guessing theres 6 different core stories correct, depending on your class and/or background.

right now i'm a Elf Magi. the storyline is very good, i actually found myself being rather snippy with some people who treated me lesser because i was an elf. and i made the priest made cause i started wouldn't take the Makers Blessing lmao. i'm about to become one of those Grey dude warriors.

if all the game is, is tlaking to people; i'll probably get boered with it in a few days. i'm also finding the combat hard as well; my chick doesn't want to use a melee weapon at all. i have a bow & a sword; so maybe now it will be different. i love doing magic, but i don't like to souly rely on it ya know. the invetory system i'm still figuring out.

the scenery and graphics are good; though i'm confused abotu the ability to choose a characters voice yet she doesn't speak when i pick Q&A's with other characters.

as it stands now, i like the game and look forward to seeing the other storylines. when i get boered with my Magi, i'll probably start a new stroyline; i'm thinking a Human Rouge or a Noble Dwarf *nods*

• 4 weeks later...

Fun fact about Dragon Age, the generic Iron Ring piece of equipment is described as a serpent eating its own tail. Just based off that, it doesn't seem like Bioware is trying to hide the fact WoT heavily influenced Dragon Age.

The serpent eating it's own tail isn't a WoT invention you know. That symbolism is quite ancient and has been used in numerous other games and books as well, Heroes of Might and Magic to name one. Bioware hasn't necessarily borrowed it from WoT.

Archived