DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Field of Merrilor

Luckers

There is no question that the Seanchan will keep the peace if they swear to it. Remember, they deeply detest oathbreakers (which is what they consider everyone not loyal to Hawkwing's line).

I wouldn't agree to that. Tuon declared herself Empress and part of that included getting oaths of fealty from her subjects yet she expects them to watch her and try to unthrone her when they might gain an advantage. The Seanchan are no different from any other culture in Randland with regards to oaths. The only difference is that they are more upfront of their belief that they have a right to all of creation; most likely bolstered by the fact that they have a very large and very effective army.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no question that the Seanchan will keep the peace if they swear to it. Remember, they deeply detest oathbreakers (which is what they consider everyone not loyal to Hawkwing's line).

I wouldn't agree to that. Tuon declared herself Empress and part of that included getting oaths of fealty from her subjects yet she expects them to watch her and try to unthrone her when they might gain an advantage. The Seanchan are no different from any other culture in Randland with regards to oaths. The only difference is that they are more upfront of their belief that they have a right to all of creation; most likely bolstered by the fact that they have a very large and very effective army.

I think the real problem with what Aviendha saw about the Seanchan was that the Aiel didn't swear to uphold the Dragon's Peace, which is what I believe is the purpose of the meeting at the Field. Rand probably never even thinks about them - they follow him absolutely. I think what Aviendha needs to do is make sure that the Aiel lay down their spears with everyone else.

We know for a fact that in the future Aviendha saw, they did hold to the Peace. For decades at least, maybe over 100 years. I don't recall the exact timing. It wasn't broken until the Aiel tricked the Queen of Andor.

We know for a fact that in the future Aviendha saw, they did hold to the Peace. For decades at least, maybe over 100 years. I don't recall the exact timing. It wasn't broken until the Aiel tricked the Queen of Andor.

Yes, technically it wasn't broken until then because the Aiel were exempt from the Dragon's Peace, but the war had been going on for quite awhile when Oncala managed to drag Andor (and various allies) into it. The fact that it wasn't going that well was what motivated that action.

After reading the glossary I suspect that the future Avi saw is never going to take place, "Towers of Midnight, the:...Legend has it that in time of dire need, the Imperial family will return to the Towers of Midnight and 'right that which is wrong'". In other words, I expect Fortuona is going to free the Damane, there can be no time of dire need like the Last Battle, after all.

But I do agree that it is likely on those fields that Rand will ask for peace, though how he will get the Seanchan involved, as they are not present, I do not know. Perhaps they will have heard of the meeting and will come anyway, I suspect Rand would stop any fighting from taking place if they did.

Rand needs to get some fake seals to break for when he meets with Egwene. Mat would of course need to take part... hahaha

*Standing amongst the assembled Monarchs of the world*

Rand: "Hey Egwene look, I found some old pieces of junk on the way here. Hmm they say "Made in Shayol Ghul" I hope they're not impor...*drops them* Oh no they broke.."

Egwene: "OH LIGHT RAND NOOOOOO!"

Rand: "Haha Bel Tine Fools Egwene, that wasn't really the seals!"

*Rand Mat and Perrin burst into laughter*

Rand needs to get some fake seals to break for when he meets with Egwene. Mat would of course need to take part... hahaha

That would be amazing. Remember that scene in Rhuidean where Mat is throwing daggers at broken pieces of furniture thrown by an Aiel? Recreate that scene with Rand throwing the seals.

That would be amazing. Remember that scene in Rhuidean where Mat is throwing daggers at broken pieces of furniture thrown by an Aiel? Recreate that scene with Rand throwing the seals.

That... would be EPIC. gotta have it done slowly though one at a time to drag it out and make Ewgene sweat. :D

I agree, I'm just saying that it's not entirely as Kivam states in that the Seanchan are somehow more culturally conditioned into obeying oaths absolutely. They aren't, they just have a far more self-centered view of the universe.

This is kinda how I think it'll play out.

Everyone but Mat, Thom and Mo are there.

Rand- Hey all! Thanks Egwene for getting everyone here. Saved me a HUGE headache. Anyhow here's what we are gonna do...

Egwene gapes then- Aren't we going to talk about the seals?

Rand- Sure in a second. First though, gotta do something about the Seanchan

Mat et al come in... Over hearing Seanchan comment.

Mat- Dude married to Tuon so I got it covered. BTW here is mo alive and so so...

Pause for tearful reunion and gasps over missing eye.

Rand- K moving on. So seals... I am gonna break them just not yet. Here is why... Explanation

Egwene- No that is dumb. You forced my hand. Sorry Rand you woolhead.

Has thirteen sisters shield him and binds him with air.

Mo- Umm... Wouldn't do that if I were you guys. He is right and you know the pattern will weave him where it wants him...

Rand- Pretty Much. Sure you want to...

Messengers arrive from Cam and TV with word of attacks.

Rand sniffs and exchanges glances with Mat and Perrin. WO snicker and Eg gapes.

Egg gives in, and they send Mat and co to TV, Perrin and co to Cam, Rand and Egg and co to BT and Borderlanders to Lan. They all meet back after to finish the dragons peace(with Aiel), binding tuon (with duct tape I hope) and such. Then off to see the DO, the most creepiest DO of all...

Egg gives in, and they send Mat and co to TV, Perrin and co to Cam, Rand and Egg and co to BT and Borderlanders to Lan. They all meet back after to finish the dragons peace(with Aiel), binding tuon (with duct tape I hope) and such. Then off to see the DO, the most creepiest DO of all...

First though they've gotta make bricks out of the Trolloc bones. Yellow bricks.

Can someone tell me how we know where FoM is? I mean why are people saying it's near Shienar border? I couldn't find a map that depicts the location and I am rather envious that people already seem to know it. I sure don't remember this name at all.Has it been mentioned in one of the earlier books? Or any other map? Or any interview reveal?

My 2 cents: It'd be really, really useful if Mat and co arrives before Rand and Egwene start their "discussion". I can quite see Moiraine managing to defuse that situation without anyone resorting to shielding, name calling and sniffing. Also, if we assume that reports will come through about the attack on Caemlyn and possibly the White Tower, it would be much better to have Mat there. Might be a bit of a tricky decision for him on where to go - hopefully straight to his wife to give her a swift kick to the backside.

But honestly, what I'd like most would be to see the rest of the world's rulers telling Egwene to go sit in the corner while the Dragon is busy :biggrin: Somehow doubt it'll happen though..

Edit: Failing all of the above, the suggestion of having Mat toss daggers at fake seals is absolutely awesome!

The meeting is more for Rand to lay down his terms to the rulers. Whether Egwene agrees or not actually doesn't matter, since Rand is going to do what needs to be done regardless. He hopes she can be persuaded but even without her he will do the best he can.

He doesn't know how to fix the bore. He says as much, as well. But he does know that breaking the seals is the first step in the process.

He never said that he does not know how to fix it.

Rand is certainly working on the problem, but he hasn't figured it out yet.

"I believe that saidin and saidar must both be used. I don't have the answers yet.

-- ToM, The Amyrlin's Anger, p. 84

"Callandor," he said. "It plays a part in this. You have to find out how. I cannot seal the Bore the way I tried last time. I'm missing something, something vital. Find it for me."

-- ToM, For What Has Been Wrought, p. 196

-- dwn

Archived