DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Field of Merrilor

Luckers

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see this whole assembly of kings and powers coming together for any reason other than an imminent threat. They will squabble and politick all they can until nothing gets done. They will all mistrust each other to the point that they almost come to blows.

Nothing... nothing could unify them except an exceptionally dark and powerful threat that ALL of them immediately recognized and were forced to act in concert against. It can't be the Dark One himself, since that particular confrontation would be the climax of the book. So that leaves....

wait for it....

Padan Fain.

My guess is we have something like the scene in The Hobbit where the Elves, Men, and Dwarves are just about to come to blows before the gates of the Lonely Mountain when ...SUDDENLY, down swoop the hordes of Goblins, forcing everyone to come together and fight their common foes.

This could also be where Perrin saves Rand's life. During the battle with the twisted trollocs and various Fain-corrupted baddies, Rand is mysteriously weakened in Fain's presence as a result of the proximity of the Shadar Logoth dagger. His side starts to burn and to smoke, and he falls to his knees. Just before Fain can gloatingly stab Rand in the heart, Perrin steps in and methodically gives him a Mjolnir-beatdown, slowly rendering both Fain and his dagger into bits of fractured metal and flesh. An evil, yellow smoke arises from the corpse only to be blown away by a supernatural wind as Moiraine triumphantly arrives on the scene. Angreal blazing with light, she opens a gateway to the Tower of Ghenjei, carves open a portal, and blows Mashadar into the land of the Snakes and the Foxes. Caring little about who survives the titanic struggle that her actions have ensured, she smiles grimly, walks back to Rand, and helps him to his feet.

She then turns to Egwene and frowns, a small frown, but one heavy with disapproval.

And so the REAL discussion of the Dragon's Peace begins....

I can't see this whole assembly of kings and powers coming together for any reason other than an imminent threat. They will squabble and politick all they can until nothing gets done. They will all mistrust each other to the point that they almost come to blows.

Nothing... nothing could unify them except an exceptionally dark and powerful threat that ALL of them immediately recognized and were forced to act in concert against. It can't be the Dark One himself, since that particular confrontation would be the climax of the book. So that leaves....

wait for it....

Padan Fain.

My guess is we have something like the scene in The Hobbit where the Elves, Men, and Dwarves are just about to come to blows before the gates of the Lonely Mountain when ...SUDDENLY, down swoop the hordes of Goblins, forcing everyone to come together and fight their common foes.

This could also be where Perrin saves Rand's life. During the battle with the twisted trollocs and various Fain-corrupted baddies, Rand is mysteriously weakened in Fain's presence as a result of the proximity of the Shadar Logoth dagger. His side starts to burn and to smoke, and he falls to his knees. Just before Fain can gloatingly stab Rand in the heart, Perrin steps in and methodically gives him a Mjolnir-beatdown, slowly rendering both Fain and his dagger into bits of fractured metal and flesh. An evil, yellow smoke arises from the corpse only to be blown away by a supernatural wind as Moiraine triumphantly arrives on the scene. Angreal blazing with light, she opens a gateway to the Tower of Ghenjei, carves open a portal, and blows Mashadar into the land of the Snakes and the Foxes. Caring little about who survives the titanic struggle that her actions have ensured, she smiles grimly, walks back to Rand, and helps him to his feet.

She then turns to Egwene and frowns, a small frown, but one heavy with disapproval.

Fain is already in the Blight intending to just wait for the Dragon Reborn to arrive at Shayol Ghul

We know Fain is in the Blight, but do we know where in the Blight?

Did Fain ever say he was waiting at Shayol Ghul?

The southern edge of the Blight is not all that far from the Field of Merrilor--reckoning that the site is somewhere north of Tar Valon. And Fain said he knew where Rand was going to be. I don't think he said anything about just waiting at Shayol Ghul. It's possible that that is his plan. But I don't think he came right out and said it.

I'm not discounting Fain being there at Shayol Ghul when Rand arrives. It's possible. I just think the Padan Fain story arc needs to end before the climactic battle, and since his evil is a "separate" evil from the Dark One's, the Field of Merrilor would be a nice place to wedge in that little conflict. We're about due to have a taste of the good guys getting a bit of a surprise and taking a little step backwards before the big shebang at the end.

Egwene invited the King of Murandy to this meeting. Since there's a good chance that he's Demandred or controlled by him, what do you think the consequences of that will be?

He'll kill Moiraine right before she enters the pavillion

I. Would. Freak.

We know Fain is in the Blight, but do we know where in the Blight?

Did Fain ever say he was waiting at Shayol Ghul?

The southern edge of the Blight is not all that far from the Field of Merrilor--reckoning that the site is somewhere north of Tar Valon. And Fain said he knew where Rand was going to be. I don't think he said anything about just waiting at Shayol Ghul. It's possible that that is his plan. But I don't think he came right out and said it.

I'm not discounting Fain being there at Shayol Ghul when Rand arrives. It's possible. I just think the Padan Fain story arc needs to end before the climactic battle, and since his evil is a "separate" evil from the Dark One's, the Field of Merrilor would be a nice place to wedge in that little conflict. We're about due to have a taste of the good guys getting a bit of a surprise and taking a little step backwards before the big shebang at the end.

Fain said he is heading to SG to wait for rand. "You didn't hunt something when you knew exactly where it was going to be. You merely showed up to meet it."

anyone notice that the location of FoM is north of TV potentially right in the line of the multiple gigantic trolloc armies moving south?

anyone notice that the location of FoM is north of TV potentially right in the line of the multiple gigantic trolloc armies moving south?

FOM is presumably on the southern border of Shienar so there is some distance to cover as Tarvin's gap is not breached yet as of end of ToM. I expect the party at FOM will be broken by the invasion of Caemlyn and/or by the Seanchan attack on the White Tower, not by the Trollocs advancing from the north.

FOM is presumably on the southern border of Shienar so there is some distance to cover as Tarvin's gap is not breached yet as of end of ToM. I expect the party at FOM will be broken by the invasion of Caemlyn and/or by the Seanchan attack on the White Tower, not by the Trollocs advancing from the north.

yes but Kandor has fallen and potentially Arafel, wiht trollocs running as fast as they can they could potentially crash the party

Before Eliada was made a Damane she had a foretelling that the BT would rent in fire and blood and Aes Sedia would walk it's halls. It hasnlt been fufilled yet. This Suggests something big is going to happen at the BT since this foretelling has not come true yet. I would be willing to bet that it is a battle of some kind at the BT since the foretelling talks of blood and fire. So maybe Logain's group and and Taim's group kill each other and the Aes Sedia move in afterwords. I could se that being a major distraction for rand. This could possibly happen while Caemlyn and Tar Valon are being attacked.

But Logain still has his "glory to come" aura to be fulfilled. I think he will be victorious in the Battle of the BT.

Lord Ablar :wub: is always glorious but I get your point.

Some think that Logain´s glory will be giving the Asha´man an honorable place in the world, or being M´hael next to Egwene (above her, the Black Tower with it´s Asha´man will be respected, honored and feared above all and will rule in... :happy: oops I got carried away) but all of that in my mind happens after TG and for some reason I want his glory to be before TG. And I still think he is gonna aid Rand Sedai somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

Tuon is way to bullheaded even to consider an alliance with Rhand. I think it will come down to Rhand swearing loyalty to Mat as the prince of ravens to sooth her and in that way gaining acces to the Seanchan armies for the LB.

Of course this will happen where every single noble on the field can see it, so they can al start to call Mat nobility now, .. justas he likes :).

While Tuon is stubborn, I would say she has made herself more of a slave of the prophecies or signs that appear before her - that is what guides her action more than anything else.

I think this is what he plan , but not what will happen

What if Mat swears fealty to Rand and Fortouna has to comply with something the Prince of Ravens does

Nope.

Rand will kneel before the Empress because he knows that is for the best. I don't know why anyone expects different.

Prophecy says he will kneel. Thus he will kneel. Plus, when Rand lost it at Tam adn took off he went to "his" cities and saw how bad they were and he went to the Sheanchan controlled cities and saw how much better they were (people safe, fed, happy, etc and he realised that the Seanchan are actually pretty good at some things.

So ya... Rand will submit to the Empress in order to gain alliance with them, likely with terms to give safe passage to channeleres etc, but he will still kneel and submit. Bet on it.

Before Eliada was made a Damane she had a foretelling that the BT would rent in fire and blood and Aes Sedia would walk it's halls. It hasnlt been fufilled yet. This Suggests something big is going to happen at the BT since this foretelling has not come true yet. I would be willing to bet that it is a battle of some kind at the BT since the foretelling talks of blood and fire. So maybe Logain's group and and Taim's group kill each other and the Aes Sedia move in afterwords. I could se that being a major distraction for rand. This could possibly happen while Caemlyn and Tar Valon are being attacked.

Ya.. BT is rent in blood. EI: Logain's Ashaman vs Taim's Ashaman. Aes Sedai walking the halls... well they are already in the BT. And ... the gateway ahsmana guy (forget his name) is already talking to them to help take back the tower.

Tuon is way to bullheaded even to consider an alliance with Rhand. I think it will come down to Rhand swearing loyalty to Mat as the prince of ravens to sooth her and in that way gaining acces to the Seanchan armies for the LB.

Of course this will happen where every single noble on the field can see it, so they can al start to call Mat nobility now, .. justas he likes :).

While Tuon is stubborn, I would say she has made herself more of a slave of the prophecies or signs that appear before her - that is what guides her action more than anything else.

I think this is what he plan , but not what will happen

What if Mat swears fealty to Rand and Fortouna has to comply with something the Prince of Ravens does

Nope.

Rand will kneel before the Empress because he knows that is for the best. I don't know why anyone expects different.

Prophecy says he will kneel. Thus he will kneel. Plus, when Rand lost it at Tam adn took off he went to "his" cities and saw how bad they were and he went to the Sheanchan controlled cities and saw how much better they were (people safe, fed, happy, etc and he realised that the Seanchan are actually pretty good at some things.

So ya... Rand will submit to the Empress in order to gain alliance with them, likely with terms to give safe passage to channeleres etc, but he will still kneel and submit. Bet on it.

Seanchan prophecy, known to be corrupted, says he will kneel. The Randland prophecies, which are not known to be corrupt, say he will bind the Nine Moons to serve him. That is why people doubt it; because a careful reading of the text shows it to be unlikely.

The two are not mutually exclusive. He could kneel and bind TNM as well.

The physical act of kneeling need not be associated with subservience, it could also be about tying shoelaces or looking closely at something on the ground/ underneath a piece of furniture etc.

wait for it....

Padan Fain.

I don't think it will happen like this - but that would make an excellent scene. Especially if at the same time an epic battle is taking place at the Black Tower from which Logain emerges victorious but only with the aid of Pevara and the rebel sisters out.

Berelain hears all of this and says - "hang on! My ancestor was his oldest son, it's more mine than yours! Your family are so far behind the line for the high

king's crown that I should be empress! Then Tuon bows to her and Seanchan becomes the new home of the Children of the Light. Fitting, since they were started by one of Hawkwings generals and based on Hawkwings morrals.

I'm more in the line of thinking that because 'adoption' into the Imperial family is considered normal under certain circumstances, that the bonds of blood hold little weight compared to being cunning and able enough to 'become' Empress.

If Berelain claimed that, Fortuona would just say, 'Well you have abandoned your oaths and therefore also your claim to the Imperial family.' Done.

Berelain hears all of this and says - "hang on! My ancestor was his oldest son, it's more mine than yours! Your family are so far behind the line for the high

king's crown that I should be empress! Then Tuon bows to her and Seanchan becomes the new home of the Children of the Light. Fitting, since they were started by one of Hawkwings generals and based on Hawkwings morrals.

I'm more in the line of thinking that because 'adoption' into the Imperial family is considered normal under certain circumstances, that the bonds of blood hold little weight compared to being cunning and able enough to 'become' Empress.

If Berelain claimed that, Fortuona would just say, 'Well you have abandoned your oaths and therefore also your claim to the Imperial family.' Done.

yes but that Berelain could also say that the oaths do not bind me since I would be the highest, thus I have no one to wait for, no one to obey, and no one to serve. (or whatever the oaths are)

Archived