DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Nakomi

Luckers

Moggy has the same objections as Verin and stronger - Mog doesn't know Aviendha and she doesn't know Aiel customs as far as we know.

Cyndane would be hard put not to kill Aviendha for reasons that are well-known.

Against that, both are capable of manipulating dreams and using compulsion in ways that Verin isn't known to be capable of doing.

But if it's Moggy or Cyndane, why not Moridin himself?

There! I think this is a new twist.

Nakomi is actually Moridin in disguise.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry if this has been said, I looked but quickly,

Considering the weakening walls of reality, and how she's 'familiar'

Nakomi is Aviendha's olderself.

I LIKE that!!

Only problem is, Avi sensed that Nakomi could not channel. There could be many ways in which this could be, of course.

Found one: In LoC Prologue, Elayne is mentally reviewing the stuff she and Nyn got out of Moghedien, and that included how to hide your ability to channel - essential for Mog to pass herself off as Marigan, of course.

Found one: In LoC Prologue, Elayne is mentally reviewing the stuff she and Nyn got out of Moghedien, and that included how to hide your ability to channel - essential for Mog to pass herself off as Marigan, of course

Cool!I only had a vague memory of that. I couldn't really warm to the mother idea because she hasn't been a character at all..Though the how of the whole idea is pretty much pure speculation...

The thing is, if wheel repeats then what will be has happened (to a degree) but the future is still no completely set, as evidenced by the parallel worlds and some being realer than others. The whole world of shrimp vs the world without shrimp thing.

With the walls of reality breaking down, the present and future may collide/co-exist. we have seen the past return. Now, the 'dead' don't interact with the living, but they are both dead and gone, and realer (and their deaths) then any future. I really would like to know what actually happened to that pedeller's thread when he disolved into that ghost town.

Also who knows how far into the future the effects of balefire and damage to the pattern will extend.

that being said, perhaps Nakomi is a temporary slip in from a parallel world, unknowing and with out motive. Completely random. :wheel:

Mostly I am simply still unsure of the three firsts thoughts, The Creator, Lanfear, Verin.

i think it was aviendha from the future.....

not sure if the time travelling theory was on this site but basically it runs that avi time traveled with a gateway when running from rand the first time they got it on. the theory was based on the position of the sun and the times of day and where they travelled to. also her difficulty with normal gateways suggested there was something special about hers.

"Twice dawns the day"

i think it was aviendha from the future.....

not sure if the time travelling theory was on this site but basically it runs that avi time traveled with a gateway when running from rand the first time they got it on. the theory was based on the position of the sun and the times of day and where they travelled to. also her difficulty with normal gateways suggested there was something special about hers.

"Twice dawns the day"

plus the fact that she used her ability with ter'angreal to change it from viewing the past to viewing the future makes me think she has some skill with time

What about Silvie from the Dragon Reborn? She always seemed an odd character, has anyone ever figured out who she was yet? I cannot recall the details of any Silvie theory's but I seem to recall that it is still not clear just who she is, and Nakomi is another mysterious character.

Although I am probably missing something fairly obvious in this theory.

What about Silvie from the Dragon Reborn? She always seemed an odd character, has anyone ever figured out who she was yet? I cannot recall the details of any Silvie theory's but I seem to recall that it is still not clear just who she is, and Nakomi is another mysterious character.

That was Lanfear I believe.

there's another theory that she was mesana. can't remember all the reasons but it was a pretty good theory

Apologies if this specific reference has been cited before - I gave in to "skimming" this thread past page 15. I've seen the theory advanced that this encounter bears a resemblance to the American Indian practice of a "vision quest" a process by which someone coming of age would travel into the wilderness alone, fast, pray, and ultimately receive a vision. If I'm not mistaken, sometimes the person would receive their name through this process (forgive me if I'm getting this wrong, I'm not an expert on native culture, per se).

While team Jordan has never been quite so heavy handed as to associate one WoT "race" with a specific historical people, there are cultural/racial references within the WoT universe, yes? Perhaps in this, the Aiel bear one similarity to Native Americans. Again, they haven't been this heavy handed before, but has anyone brought up the obvious (too obvious?) similarity to the Ojibwe figure Nokomis? She is the "Daughter of the Moon" according to the Longfellow poem (in fact she was 'born' by falling from the moon) and was the legendary Hiawatha's grandmother. Apparently, in the Ojibwe language, "nookomis" means "MY GRANDMOTHER" - an interesting reference for Avi's encounter, from which she will soon (via crystal columns) consider her own lineage and the repercussions thereof. The Aiel seem sort of Matriarchal anyway, given their tendency of women asking men to marry, and Maidens and Wise Ones being what they are. Perhaps Nakomi is some sort of symbolic grandmother figure for the Aiel as a people? She uses roots that Avi remembers her own mother using, and the imagery of roots themselves suggests the cultural origins of a people. Idk - again, perhaps this has all been said, and usually the references haven't been this similar (change two letters to the name Nakomi...) but perhaps there is something to occam's razor...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokomis

That's the best suggestion I've heard!

Another reference which is quite close is the Tuatha'an:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuatha_D%C3%A9_Danann

The king of the Tuatha De Danaan was called Nuada, and he lost an arm - and with it his right to be their king - in battle. (The arm was later replaced by a silver prosthesis.)

So I think you may be on to something with Nakomi = Nokomis = grandmother. As to what she's doing there, I wonder if she's a Hero of the Horn? Or something similar, but from the Rhuidean columns?

I don't think the Verin theory stands up- she doesn't know enough about Aviendha, the Aiel, and especially would have no way to know to prod her towards changing the columns, which seems to have been the point of the interaction. Short of Verin going through the Rings (and there is no evidence of that) it seems unlikely she would have enough information on any of this... or any motive to pull this off (what does she care about the future of the Aiel when the future of the world is at stake?)

I'm warming up to the Jenn/Hero of the Horn idea. One such obviously wouldn't fight, so it would make sense that they might become a hero by guiding and prompting humanity in their own way.

So we gotta think the Columns show a possible future, much like the Rings (and unlike Min's visions) right?

• 5 months later...

Nakomi seems to be suggesting to Aviendha that the 3-fold land would no longer suit the Aiel as a homeland since it has fulfilled its purpose. And in the columns, one of the reasons why the Aiel were destroyed was that they stayed in Randland and started a war with the Seanchan.

I've been wondering about how the Aiel can avoid the fate in Aviendha's visions. Do they go back to the 3-fold land (which was never part of Artur Hawkwing's empire and thus not viewed as a rightful conquest by the Seanchan? Or do they populate the areas of the Blight that will be reclaimed after the TG? Or do they agree to a special Covenant with the Seanchan Empress to ensure their freedom by linking them with Ogier (live in steddings and sing to trees)? Or does Aviendha simply go obstinate and refuse to birth Rand's children? Or is the "remnant of a remnant" the part of the Aiel who agree to go back to the Way of the Leaf after TG?

• 4 weeks later...

I tend to agree with the theory that Nokomi was some lost descendant of the Jenn Aiel. A lot of what she says could be related to that idea. Also, she tends to be really wise. She or someone may have met with every Wise One going to Rhidean. I know this is far off, but it could be one of the things that they never talk about, or maybe they all think it is not important after seeing the viewings and forget about these people.

nakomi was a bubble of evil and avi was never meant to see what she saw lol in all seriousness, this was one of the more baffling parts to the series to me, it seemed a very strange interaction, i wouldnt have expected avi to just be like, hey some strange lady is feeding me, oh wow now she disappeared, what an odd vague woman i just met. i almost want to say that duders theory of it being old avi talking to young avi makes the most sense of all. i cant wrap my head around it being the jenn, i dont feel like theyve been around for a long time, the closest to them as far as i could tell are the tinkers, and thats not close at all. verin could fit just cause she is so dang sneaky, thats my next favorite theory, and who knows with all the timeline stuff going on. i do feel though that rhuidean should be the aiels new home after its all said and done though, it would be disappointing to me if they were to leave that city still abandoned, especially after rand brought water back to it. it would be a great home for them to rebuild.

I seem to remember on Rand's first trip to the waste Moiraine translating Jenn Aiel to the True Aiel. We know from the visions that the tinkers are the true Aiel, and those who kept protecting the Aes Sedai's treasures untill they found a safe place, Rhuidean. Those who split off to recover the song are little more Aiel than those who no call themselves Aiel. The Peace of Rhuidean seems kind of strange to me with modern Aiel culture, if the Jenn still followed the Way of the Leaf, that would explain it.

Avi was told to make the journey on foot for reflection, Nakomi might be someone who appears to every Wise One apprentice on the way to Rhuidean.

she does fit the role of a spirit guide of sorts, but she is someone i would rather be some left field yet significant character that is more than just that scene, and everyone went to rhuidean on foot when it was of this type of journey, i think it was just tradition for the sake of time to ponder, even though it would make more sense to leave on foot, but thats kinda splitting hairs a lil

We know from the visions that the tinkers are the true Aiel, and those who kept protecting the Aes Sedai's treasures untill they found a safe place, Rhuidean.

might want to fix this sentence. the tinkers are descended from the ones who split off and dumped the items in tear, the jenn are the ones who kept the items untill rhuidean was built.

• 2 weeks later...

Notes on Nakomi from Towers of Midnight, chapter 37, “In the Three-fold Land”:

Appearance

• “…wearing Aiel garb. Not cadin’sor or the garb of a Wise One
  • dark skirt
  • tan blouse and shawl
  • kerchief
  • graying hair
  • middle aged
  • carries no weapons
  • furrowed skin
  • Aviendha could not sense an ability to channel
  • Aviendha notes that it’s unusual for Nakomi to be travelling without friends or family
  • Aviendha notes that while she doesn’t wear the clothing of a Wise One, there is something about her…

Appearance sounds vaguely Verin-like, but if it is, she must have learned how to mask her ability to channel. Inability to sense the ability to channel could also mean this is a male channeler in disguise.

Mannerisms

• clicks tongue
  • when Aviendha responds that the Wetlands are dangerous because they make the Aiel weak, Nakomi frowns

Speech

• addresses Aviendha as “child” (p.604) – very Aes Sedai-like
  • calls Rand “the one named the Car’a’carn” (p.604), then says she never stated that he was not the Car’a’carn – very Aes Sedai-like
  • asks what Aviendha thinks of Rand and whether or not she has spent time with him
  • asks if the wetlands are “…as glorious as so many say– interesting Aes Sedai-like way to phrase a question so that it sounds like you’re making the statements when in fact you’re not

Other references:

1. Camped “…at the side of a tremendous stone
  2. which “…towered over her– if this is a Portal Stone, it could indicate why Aviendha didn’t hear Nakomi’s approach, and there’s no indication that using a Portal Stone triggers a channeler’s ability to sense the use of the Power, particularly as Portal Stones can be used by non-channelers
  3. Aviendha realises the old Aviendha is gone and embraces her being as a Wise One
  4. which “…brought her honour back
  5. thinks that as a Wise One, she now has a purpose, and can “…help lead her people through their most trying time
  6. and that, “once this was through, her people would need to return to the Three-fold Land
  7. and that the Aiel had grown soft in the wet lands and that they would have to be abandoned soon
  8. smiles, settles back and closes her eyes … she hears a sound and jumps up, embracing the Source **Q: did she inadvertently enter T’A’R? As a Dreamer, she should know whether she did or not … is she a Dreamer?**
  9. a woman (Nakomi) “…wearing Aiel garb. Not cadin’sor or the garb of a Wise One” stands nearby
  10. Aviendha had not heard her approach
  11. Nakomi addresses Aviendha as a Wise One and asks to share water
  12. Nakomi puts a kettle on toil boil then gets out tea leaves and herbs
  13. the fire has grown very warm and there seems to be more coals
  14. Nakomi notes that Aviendha seems troubled and, without asking what the trouble is, Aviendha opens up to her
  15. Nakomi then mentions the Last Battle without prompting, and again references “…the thing the wetlanders speak of– **Q: how would she know what the wetlanders speak of?**
  16. Nakomi points out that the Aiel had to come from the wetlands, to the Three-fold Land, to be forged into something stronger to prepare for the trials they would face in the wetlands
  17. Nakomi also points out that the Aiel have toh for breaking the ancient vows the original Aiel made … this leads Aviendha to the realisation that such great toh can be met by serving Rand and by fighting at the Last Battle
  18. Nakomi then questions the need to return to the Three-fold Land after the Last Battle, pointing out that to do so would be seeking further punishment after the Aiel’s toh had been met – this confuses Aviendha, confronting her beliefs that the Aiel belong in the Three-fold Land
  19. Nakomi then asks why the Aiel should continue their way of life, instead of changing, after the Last Battle – “Why continue the old ways? How do we find honor in raiding, in killing one another, if we are no longer preparing for such an important task? Why grow harder? For the sake of being hard itself?
  20. Nakomi then serves the food – it tastes wonderful: “Better than many a feast she’d had in fine palaces back in the wetlands.
  21. Nakomi then excuses herself saying that she, “…needs to see to nature”, smiles then shuffles into the darkness – this is the last Aviendha sees of her **Q: Could the reference “need to see to nature” plus the fact that the food tastes so good be a clue?**
  22. Aviendha ponders what the purpose of the Aiel is now, finishes her meal, then continues to think for a long time before she notices that Nakomi hasn’t returned

Theories

• Nakomi could be Verin in disguise, masking her ability to channel and using a mask of mirrors disguise. If the stone is a Portal Stone, Verin would have knowledge how to use it after accompanying Rand on previous trips. The use of the Portal Stone would not necessarily require the use of the Power, and would explain how Aviendha failed to notice Nakomi’s approach.
  • Nakomi could be Rand in disguise. Rand knows how to use Portal Stones, which would explain the stealthy approach, and women can’t sense male channelers in the same way that men can sense women with the goosebumps. If Nakomi is Rand in disguise (MoM – noting that with Rand’s appearance as an Aiel anyway, he would only need to change his appearance to that of a woman, and he knows Aviendha is on her way to Rhuidean to take her tests as a Wise One), he wouldn’t need to mask his ability to channel as Aviendha wouldn’t naturally be able to sense it anyway. Lastly, the notes in the chapter about the food tasting better than ever, and Nakomi’s final cryptic statement about needing to see to nature, could be clues pointing to Rand.

My theory: Nakomi is Rand.

Archived