DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Discuss Aviendha's Arc

Luckers

The Seachan and BT are the 2 big non-Last Battle issues that need to be resolved. In TGS Rand had decided not to address the Seanchan. So what would make him change his mind? This is Aviendha's challenge, to get Rand to see the wrongness of the damane. What if she willingly allowed herself to be collared? Rand would feel her suffering through the bond, his love would compel him to address the Seachan.

I love how Sanderson has kept up the tension in the last 2 books. I don't expect the unhappy ending of Aviendha's visions, but by showing these visions it creates a compelling story on how to prevent them. Well Done.

• Replies 620
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Answer just the one question though: Do the Aiel suck in every way, shape, and form as well?

No group, not even any single individual sucks in every way, shape, and form. ( other than Cadsuane )

No group and no single individual is entirely good, sweet, and pure either. ( other than Bela )

Everybody has feet of clay. With some the clay extends to the knee. With others it extends to the armpits or higher.

Both the current Seanchan and Aiel are martial societies. Both are built on an end justifies the means philosophy, making them inherently evil.

Part of our problem in this series is that Tarmon Gaidon is, like Ragnarok, a battle between Order and Chaos, not between Good and Evil. Since both Seanchan and Aiel are forces for Order, we have to put them in the White Hat Brigade in spite of their inherent evil. In spite of the fact that they are both very difficult to root for.

It's an ugly war no matter which side wins. The Light is only marginally preferable to the Dark.

The above comment of Cadsuane- makes me feel good.

Someone a page and a half back, Red?, replied to my comment and I understand where you are coming from. I don't understand why it is hard to believe that even if Aviendha is killed that somebody in bizarro-Randland (that is what I am calling the possible future) does not make it known to the Seanchan that Sul'dams can channel? I think that would have been the first tactics by one of the blood thirsty Aiel to help demoralize and destroy their enemy. Or someone else- possibly the Amyrlin at the time (but for other reasons).

I don't think whatever Aviendha will have to do has to directly deal with the Seanchan, but more of changing the Aiel.

I like someone's post that talked about that there should be no Peace of the Dragon. Historically treaties don't do well. Someone will eventually break it. I just really don't want the Seanchan to come out on top. Everyone is way way way too prideful in Randland (except for Rand now!)and they are number one on my list.

Based on the fact we got like 20 pages of Aviendha in this book I will be expecting much more in the next or have her hovering around the main activity for the most part.

i agree, there has to be a lot more of Avi to catch her up to the main story line (Rands POV)  right now her POV is the only one that is lagging behind; though i think Lan's story line is ahead by a few days which will give time for Rand to save him *stubborn look*

replied to my comment and I understand where you are coming from. I don't understand why it is hard to believe that even if Aviendha is killed that somebody in bizarro-Randland (that is what I am calling the possible future) does not make it known to the Seanchan that Sul'dams can channel? I think that would have been the first tactics by one of the blood thirsty Aiel to help demoralize and destroy their enemy. Or someone else- possibly the Amyrlin at the time (but for other reasons).

does Avi know the sul'dam can channel.  i know Nyn, Elyane & Egwene know because they were there when the 2 sul'dam got the adam slapped on her.  what if there isn't time to do this after the LB, go to 'chan land and inform everyone that sul'dam can channel?   

if Rand decides to take the easy road and not deal with the 'chan now; that means he's leaving them to be dealt with after the LB.  all of the people who know that sul'dam can channel are channelers; all that needs to happen is for them to be leashed and then Tuon can make sure the secret stays buried.

i agree that a lot of people have to be dead or not talking for that future to directly occur 9i think thats cause the nature of the ter'angle is playing off Avi's emotions at this point, exaggerating the future to make sure she understands the full impact of what she's seeing). but one thing to remember is that the people who this news would break are still on the other side of the ocean.  without dealing with the 'chan now and convincing them leashing channelers isn't the right thing while Rand also puts Tuon in her proper place; it will achieve nothing 20 years down the road when it looks like everyone who could prevent this future has died or become lost somehow.

i also agree that the changes will have to be on the Aiel for the most part, as we saw they were the ones to start the fued, they were the ones to break the peace and underhandedly so.  but you can't deny that only changing the Aiel will change the future, the 'chan are connected deeply to this.  what drives the Aiel to start the war was the conquest the 'chan planned & the leashing of channelers.  for the Aiel to stay peaceful, the 'chan must change as well.

Solution for the Aiel after the LB

i heard many mentions of them becomming guardians of the dragons piece. i like this idea, it meeshes well with what i believe will become of them for them to survive.

it's pretty clear that most agree, for the Aiel to survive as a people they must due away with the life of a warrior and become the type of Aiel that we saw in the AoL. it's also clear that many (liek the first breaking of the Aiel) will refuse to believe this and cast aside their spears. again i site the orignal prophecy "he shall break the Aiel, only a of a Remnate of a Remnate will survive" imo, this implies that the Aiel will be broken twice. Once, to the great toh the have earned by picking up the spears; the second breaking will occur after T'A'G, where they are asked to set those spears aside perminately and return to the WoL.

many of those who accepted the first still refuse to set their spears aside, this is where the split occurs; of those that are left, the minority will follow Avi in returning to the WoL. yet if the Aiel remain as they are the future we saw will still come true. Rand will demand a piece of the nations, but it will be hard to enforce this. i think, in order to keep the Aiel a place in society he will name those worrior aiel "Defendors of the Peace" and they will act as the Death watch does for the 'chan. these worriors will have to and be able to conform to the different technolgies, to keep the peace when guns evolve they'll cast their spears aside for the muzzles. eventually, they'll become soemthing other than the Aiel and meald into society.

the portion which takes up the WoL will become like those we saw in the AoL; keeping to the ji'eh'toh, keeping the name Aiel, and becomming reverred among everyone.

What Avi saw

this was mentioned as well. in the earlier books (tGH i think) we were eposed to alternate realities. when we were exposed to this, some felt more real than others, while those that were less likely to occur were often bleak and colorless. i think what Avi saw was 1 of 2 of the lickliest possabilities that would occur from a single pivital turning point: Rand not binding Tuon to him.

it seems like this is a pivital turning point for the future with only 2 possable outcomes.

Rand bows = future Avi saw

Rand doesn't bow = the future that should be for the light to win again.

I agree - and disagree. Avi's vision was not about Rand, it was about Avi. It took her down the path which lead to the destruction of her blood-line, back to the precise moment that path was taken.

Yes, it's because Rand left them out of the treaty. He most likely did that because out of all the nations (including the Seanchan) the Aiel are the most empowered. They can make their own decisions without their hands being held or their as*es kicked.

If Rand doesn't give his fealty to the seanchan, the LB will be lost. Don't know why yet, but that's prophecy isn't it? Never tells you why it must happen. My guess is that the other nations aren't mature enough to handle peace without a big stick looming over them, including - and especially - the White Tower (wose only mission is to own the world but not seem to. They want to make us all their property).

Keep in mind, that war needs to become myth, as well as the one power, or the age when bot were unknown will not come again. The Seanchan will certainly cull the ability to the point where it is a deep recessive gene that will take milennia to come to anything.

Just got a hold of a copy of the BWB and read a bit about the tinkers and how they dont actually know their heritage regarding the aiel. I wonder if Avi will talk to the Tinkers at all regarding the future of the aiel? Maybe finding some neutral ground between fighting and doing nothing.

Just got a hold of a copy of the BWB and read a bit about the tinkers and how they dont actually know their heritage regarding the aiel. I wonder if Avi will talk to the Tinkers at all regarding the future of the aiel? Maybe finding some neutral ground between fighting and doing nothing.

I've been waiting since Shadow Rising for Rand to go through the formal tinker greeting.

"Do you know the song?"

"Not really, but I have heard it. You need to go to Rhuideen to find it"

But it just never happens. Maybe you're right and Avi tells them, but I just thought it would be pretty cool if Rand did it while Perri was introducing him to Raen. 'Course, the Aram thin kinda kicked that a couple of books back.

I've been waiting since Shadow Rising for Rand to go through the formal tinker greeting.

"Do you know the song?"

But it just never happens. Maybe you're right and Avi tells them, but I just thought it would be pretty cool if Rand did it while Perri was introducing him to Raen. 'Course, the Aram thin kinda kicked that a couple of books back.

OK, just realised the flaw in my thinking - Rand must know it now. He's one with LT and LT must've heard it enough to memorise it.

"Do you know the song?"

OK, just realised the flaw in my thinking - Rand must know it now. He's one with LT and LT must've heard it enough to memorise it.

I've wondered this myself. Singing, though, is a Talent, one that LT may not have been good at. Still, I'm waiting for this one. It has to be coming, doesn't it?

"Do you know the song?"

I've wondered this myself. Singing, though, is a Talent, one that LT may not have been good at. Still, I'm waiting for this one. It has to be coming, doesn't it?

I think Rand has the talent though. Whenever Loial sung to trees he felt a desparate need to join in.

What I find most disconcerting about this part is the fact that the "Lightbringers are VERY similar to the soldiers from Rands furthest vision in the past. Rands vision furthest back in the past let him see the time when the hole in the DO´s prison was drilled my Mierin, and then we saw soldiers with shocklances, just like we saw the lightbringers use.

The Aiel serving the Aes sedai in the age of legends could decend from those wretched beasts who murdered merchants for their wastes we saw in Aviendha´s vision. If the "Lightbringers decided to take in the ael for servants making them swear to the covenant of never harming this makes some kind of sense to me.

Connecting the end of this age with the beginning of the Age of legends is not entirely impossible. Am I the only one who got this twisted idea?

I Would be really grateful to be proven wrong!

Implies the others died. In fact we see 'Aged Bruan' who 'survived the Last Battle'. Hopefully Aviendha will address this...

Actually, something significant just occured to me.

"The Dragon asked for peace," Tavalad said."

"The Dragon asked others for peace," Alvaled replied. "He excluded the Aiel."

"My father called Rand al'Thor a clever man and a great leader, but one who did not know what to do with the Aiel. I remember him saying that when the Car'a'carn was among us, he did not feel like one of us." Ronam shook his head. "Everyone else was planned for, but the Aiel were left adrift."

And then there is prophecy...

"He shall spill out the blood of those who call themselves Aiel as water on sand, and he shall break them as dried twigs, yet the remnant of a remnant shall he save, and they shall live."

The prophecy seems clear--Rand must directly save them. Yet the failing shown in Aviendha's visions seems to be that he doesn't--save them, or do much of anything with them. This point is made time and again--the Aiel lack purpose after the Dragon. They make this war their purpose and they die because of it. Rand must save them--give them purpose, turn them from war. And Aviendha must make him do so.

I think we have to ask ourselves "when" she went through the ring. If she went through when Rand was "dark" Rand then the future would look very bleak. I think maybe it could be different now that he is on the "Light" path.

So we know that if Rand wins the Last Battle Aviendha will survive it and long enough to see her grandchildren. I assume if the DO wins their will be no future at all, so the ter'angreal only showed what would happen if Rand did win. However there are still multiple possibilities for the future, it is not set in stone despite the future visions. We know that while prophecies exist that they can fail to come true. The main plot of the WOT is about Rand essentially surviving to get to the Last Battle. If it was 100% certain that he would live to fight is as prophecised then Moraine would not have stressed about him being killed by Darkfriends/trollocs/Forsaken etc. So clearly Aviendha can change the future that she has seen. If she killed herself that would immediately change things as her descendents obviously would never exist.

So she needs to prevent the Aiel going to war with the Seanchan. A number of ways she can do that. She could get Rand to make the Aiel specifically promise not to. The Aiel could be included in the peace-treaty called the Dragon's Peace. Perhaps she needs to change the society itself, either make the Aiel change so that they can follow a new path or change the Seanchan. Aviendha was earlier philosophizing about the future direction of the Aiel anyway. If the whole point of them being in the Three-Fold Land was to be repent and be reforged to help the Dragon in the Last Battle, then obviously after they have done this they need not keep to the same way of life. As that purpose of training/breeding tough would have been served. Maybe Aviendha could help the Aiel become peaceful rather than warriors. They could live in the Wetlands/Rhuidean and no longer have to live in the harsh Waste. The Aiel could then become just another Wetlander people. It should be noted that the Last Battle will see almost certainly see a lot of casualties, so there will be lots of space for the Aiel to settle. It would be tough for Aviendha to alter her people's culture but it could be done as the Aiel are pragmatic and would follow the Wise Ones lead. If Aviendha shared her vision with the Wise Ones they would back her as it is the Wise Ones who guide the Aiel people.

The most likely thing to happen is that Aviendha or Rand or Matt will change the Seanchan society. Specifically, the bit about leashing channellers. It is this aspect of society that is the deal-breaker between the Seanchan on one hand, and the Aes Sedai, Aiel and the Asha'man. I think someone will persuade/force Tuon to spread the revelation that Sul'dam can channel to various degrees. If all channellers should be leashed and yet all Damane require a Sul'dam then this breaks down if the Sul'dam themselves can channel, as they must also be leashed, which requires a Sul'dam etc. I am not sure what will happen when it is demonstrated that Tuon herself can therefore channel.

Tuon would not submit herself to being leashed imo and so she would either have to

a) keep the secret about Sul'dam being able to channel

b) change the law about channellers requiring leashing

I think she will not be able to do a) perhaps Matt asks here not to, or the secret gets out. There are quite a few former Damane who are being trained to channel. There are those who are in Caemlyn with the Kin and those who were with Matt - Bethamin and Seta. These last 2 have gone with Joline to the White Tower to learn how to channel. Matt has specifically asked them to convince Tuon of the truth about Sul'dam being able to channel. I expect Bethamin and Seta to play a pivotal role in the last book, either getting the secret revealed in a big way, or persuading Tuon that Sul'dam can channel and therefore the whole leashing channelers should stop. Once Tuon changes this policy of leashing chanellers then there will be several major consequence

i) the Seanchan military is based around using Damane. It gives them the edge over every conventional army, such as the Whitecloaks. It is what makes Seanchan such a dominant superpower and a threat to all other nations. Without the Damane, the Seanchan is just another nation albeit a populous and powerful one. Indeed if the Seanchan did not have Damane, then they would be militarily inferior to Aes Sedai-allied nations such as Andor, Asha'man and the Aiel.

ii) the Aiel would not go to war with the Seanchan because of the captive Wise Ones. The Wise Ones would be released as they would no longer be leashed. Indeed releasing the Wise Ones would cement the peace between the Aiel and the Seanchan. The Aiel are used to the concept of prisoners of war, albeit not Wise Ones.

Aviendha's vision does not show a future where the Seanchan stop leashing channellers. So something happens that prevents Seanchan society being changed by Bethamin and Seta. Tuon must be killed somehow. Maybe at the Last Battle.

Avidendha's task to change the future of the Aiel is therefore likely to be something to do with Tuon. Perhaps saving her or helping Bethamin and Seta spread word of Sul'dam channelling. Aviendha will somehow change the future - I sincerely doubt that Brandon and Jordon would allow such a horrific end to the Aiel after all their travails since the Breaking.

I also think that something will happen in the Last Book regarding the Lost Song. The Aiel used to be able to magically grow things with their singing. It was a special trait to their people. I think that they will regain this ability/knowledge and this will enable the Aiel as a people to find a new role in the world rather than the warrior/hunter society they have become. Maybe their future role in the World will be in singing the Blight away?

Before the series introduced us to the nature of channeling, Singing was mentioned.

Then there's the bit of prophesy or lore about the Lord of the Morning singing to the land. Then there's the fact that for unknown reasons, Aiel men never sing. The whole reason for the Tinkers existence and way of life is to find "the Song."

I've always believed that Singing has a large part to play and that the Aiel will accomplish far more at the Last Battle with song than with spears.

The Lord of the Morning, The Prince of the Dawn knows "the Song". It's likely he Sang it every day. Elayne has an iPod that almost certainly has "the Song" preserved on it so that it can be disseminated to everyone.

Rand/LTT/The Dragon has already gotten far enough to realize that the Last Battle isn't going to be won by channeling, or by force of arms, he just needs to remember who he really is to make the final leap.

"The Song" itself is probably a way to strengthen and preserve the Pattern. Ultimately, they may all just Sing the Bore closed.

There will likely be lots of lightning, fireballs, explosions, blood, guts, and gore first, of course.

Before the series introduced us to the nature of channeling, Singing was mentioned.

Then there's the bit of prophesy or lore about the Lord of the Morning singing to the land. Then there's the fact that for unknown reasons, Aiel men never sing. The whole reason for the Tinkers existence and way of life is to find "the Song."

I've always believed that Singing has a large part to play and that the Aiel will accomplish far more at the Last Battle with song than with spears.

The Lord of the Morning, The Prince of the Dawn knows "the Song". It's likely he Sang it every day. Elayne has an iPod that almost certainly has "the Song" preserved on it so that it can be disseminated to everyone.

Rand/LTT/The Dragon has already gotten far enough to realize that the Last Battle isn't going to be won by channeling, or by force of arms, he just needs to remember who he really is to make the final leap.

"The Song" itself is probably a way to strengthen and preserve the Pattern. Ultimately, they may all just Sing the Bore closed.

There will likely be lots of lightning, fireballs, explosions, blood, guts, and gore first, of course.

I actually quite like that idea. However, it does then beg the question of what the whole mystery around Callandor and Rand's three-way circle is going to be, if it's not connected to sealing the Bore.

I actually quite like that idea. However, it does then beg the question of what the whole mystery around Callandor and Rand's three-way circle is going to be, if it's not connected to sealing the Bore.

Well, it may take Rand trying the force approach and dying for it before he has his next epiphany and figures out that using the Force, Luke will be what works.

There has to be a reason he has Obi Wan Telamon in his head after all.

See, I was always under the impression that the Tinkers knew Aiel used to follow the Way of the Leaf or at least strongly suspect it. They call them Lost Ones and when Aram takes up the sword Ila says that he is "lost". I know it could just mean that he lost his way but it seemed more formal than that.

See, I was always under the impression that the Tinkers knew Aiel used to follow the Way of the Leaf or at least strongly suspect it. They call them Lost Ones and when Aram takes up the sword Ila says that he is "lost". I know it could just mean that he lost his way but it seemed more formal than that.

I thought the Aiel cold the Tinker the "lost one" cause they abandon their duty to the Aes'Sedai

I thought the Aiel cold the Tinker the "lost one" cause they abandon their duty to the Aes'Sedai

I remember something from an Aiel PoV where they see a Tinker and think it is strange that the Tinkers call them lost. I'll see if I can find it but it was just a passing thought iirc. I may have that backwards :x(a Tinker thinking it about an Aiel).

Edit: Wasn't able to find it. But I did look up where Aram takes the sword and Ila does call him 'Lost' as opposed to 'lost'.

Edit again: Found it as soon as I gave up on it. Ila said "She called us the Lost." in regards to the Aiel that told them about the Eye of the World.

The answer is simple: Get Tuon (Fortuna) in a situation where she MUST channel to save her life, she will no matter how much she dislikes the idea. That should be enough to force Seanchan attitudes to change, afterall their god-like empress being a Damane isn't viable when there is no one left to replace her and the world is literally at its end.

I posted this in another thread, but This Aviendha thread is where all the hot Seanchan talk is so:

One wonders how much actual good it would do to prove Tuon can channel. I would think that Fortuona May She Live Forever, would be quickly and quietly removed as Empress by every and any of the High Blood if it is discovered she's actually marath'damane, an animal, less than a slave. They sure have a lot of rules for how you interact with those higher than yourself, but one thing is true of Seanchan's Machiavellian society, it's that if you're going to strike at someone higher than yourself, the worst thing you can do is lose. So, Fortuona, May She Live Forever, is not immune to her own society's customs and laws, she's just more protected than most from her enemies.

Let us not forget the intrinsic significance the damane are to the Seanchan Empire. They are all property of the throne, and are only lent out based on imperial favor. They are the crux of the Crystal Throne's domination over their entire continent. They are the reason why Seanchan is so stable now and forever. Any civil war is quickly ended by lightning and explosions. Indeed any potential civil unrest would be quickly crushed by the presence of damane. Randland could ask the Seanchan to release the damane, but the damane themselves believe they are unbelievably dangerous property, tactical nukes ready to blow. Do you think now that Traveling has been discovered that the Crystal Throne will EVER let go of their pets?

I don't know how RJ/BS intends to write this, because it is clear that the revelation that sul'dam can channel is where we are going. Can the revelation that the Empress herself can channel sway the Seanchan people away from a deeply ingrained cultural belief that has its roots in a time BEFORE Luthair even sailed west? I will have to rafo. I wonder if Tuon doesn't jump off the highest tower in Ebou Dar the same day she learns she is actually one of the very creatures she views as her prized trained pets.

Can Tuon's status as Empress, May She Live Forever, protect her from all the hungry Blood if it is revealed she's a dangerous animal? We shall see.

If I'm not mistaken, Tuon already knows she can channel, or at least that she has the potential to learn. I think it was in CoT or KoD that Mat tells her that she can learn to channel, and her response is something like "Ok, but that doesn't mean I have to".

As if that makes a difference haha.

If I'm not mistaken, Tuon already knows she can channel, or at least that she has the potential to learn. I think it was in CoT or KoD that Mat tells her that she can learn to channel, and her response is something like "Ok, but that doesn't mean I have to".

As if that makes a difference haha.

The Sul'dam themselves seem the most shaken when they find out they can Channel and usually demand to be leashed. I think finding a way to prove to all Sul'dam that they can Channel would get the job done. I'm sure the Blood would just find a way to conceal it and not really care.

The Sul'dam themselves seem the most shaken when they find out they can Channel and usually demand to be leashed. I think finding a way to prove to all Sul'dam that they can Channel would get the job done. I'm sure the Blood would just find a way to conceal it and not really care.

Just like Tuon didn in KoD: Ignore it and don't talk about it. something along the lines of "The difference is that _I_ choose not to do it."

Which works for most diputes, until you wake up in the middle of the night and your enemies have blocked the doors and are setting fire to the roof and you have about two minutes to contemplate what exactly went wrong, but of course you'll spend the time clawing at the windows and doors instead until the smoke takes you.

Am I the only person that thinks the future of the Aiel is going to have something to do with the way of the leaf and the finding of the song? They take great pride in being proper gai'shain so we know that it is within their character to be peaceful when they find honor in it. What if the Aiel were convinced that the greatest honor to be had was in sacrificing their warrior like ways in order to save their people as a whole? It doesn't seem like a stretch to me. Thoughts?

Archived