A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Do you feel bad for Alanna?

Crael123

Do you feel bad for Alanna?  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel bad for Alanna?

• Yes
    • No

In this case, aside from the social pressure on AS to not unbind warders, if you do unbind one you need to be with him. Them being apart made it impossible even if she did want to.

Why couldn't he just ask to be unbinded then? Why did he choose to run instead?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In this case, aside from the social pressure on AS to not unbind warders, if you do unbind one you need to be with him. Them being apart made it impossible even if she did want to.
Why couldn't he just ask to be unbinded then? Why did he choose to run instead?
That would be the pressure put on them to not unbind Warders that I mentioned in the part you quoted. Releasing a Warder reflects badly on the AS, as she made a poor choice of Warder. Thus there is pressure not to do it. Also, he did sort of run away. He wasn't in a position to ask (as he ran away after killing a couple of Warder when AS tried to Gentle him), she might not have done it even if he had asked.

I'd rather not be bonded to a male channeler or a shadowspawn, nor would I like to be bonded to him when he died.

And she knew he wasn't a channeler or shadowspawn, but she also knew the way the Reds would go after him, so she let him run, and did her best to block the bond. If she chased him, she would have to let go of the block and he could tell where she was and run from her. There's no way for him to know if it's just her coming to release the bond, or her with a bunch of Reds, so he's going to ALWAYS run.

I'd rather not be bonded to a male channeler or a shadowspawn, nor would I like to be bonded to him when he died.

And she knew he wasn't a channeler or shadowspawn, but she also knew the way the Reds would go after him, so she let him run, and did her best to block the bond. If she chased him, she would have to let go of the block and he could tell where she was and run from her. There's no way for him to know if it's just her coming to release the bond, or her with a bunch of Reds, so he's going to ALWAYS run.

a good question is how he got away, when he claims he called the red ajah black, I would think they would take him and make him quite uncomfortable

This was quite a while ago, too, so it's possible that whatever caused him to dislike and run from the Red Ajah is related to the "vileness" etc. that they keep referring to years ago, but never really tell us what all was going on.

It related to the reds gentling men without tower approval

Well, that was part of it, but there's no reason these same group couldn't be responsible for trying to gentle Elyas, too.  It's unlikely, after all, that the White Tower gave them permission to do that either.

hmm, this may seem kind of out there but who thinks that Rand would be tough enough to handle it if Alanna did just take away the bond. I mean he has 3 others in his head, he's not really going to want for company, or that when Moiranie comes back, she just may end up being the one to take the bond from her? Just a thought.

it looks like the vast majority of people do not feel bad for her and feel she deserves what she got. this is helarious

who would feel sorry for her, she mind raped rand, and she put the whole Wheel of Time in jeopardy! thank god Verin was a good guy or else we would be screwed

it looks like the vast majority of people do not feel bad for her and feel she deserves what she got. this is helarious

who would feel sorry for her, she mind raped rand, and she put the whole Wheel of Time in jeopardy! thank god Verin was a good guy or else we would be screwed

Yeah I am not sure how else readers are meant to think. Not to mention look at how Rand and whatnot treats her for what she did. It definetly wasn't a good thing. I don't hate her for it, it was understandable. But I certainly don't feel sorry for her.

• 1 month later...

idk i thot it was simular... like rand couldnt do a whole lot, she caught him off gaurd.but slavery is good as well. i wonder why if releasing somebody from the warder bond was possible, why didnt Elyas' aes sedai do it?

Releasing the bond takes a bit of time, and physical proximity, and Elyas had to flee for his life when the Red Ajah became suspicious of him.

And I realize AS make the rape analogy. I just don't think the analogy is very good. Bonding warders is quick, painless, causes no trauma, and can easily be undone. It's just assault, not rape. The custom of refusing to release them is the real atrocity. I'm glad I thought about it though, because it makes me lose sympathy for Aes Sedai enslaved by the Seanchen.

The reason it is likened to rape is because the AS are able to force their wills on their warders. It is tantamount to taking away someones choice.

I would have killed her. Or mind raped her back, whatever I was in the mood for.

You do know what happens to a warder when his Aes Sedai dies, right ;)

i wonder if it will be the same cuz he had no affection for her and he has his 3 girlas to help him... cope.

Without the bond rand would already be dead from fain's dagger.

And if he had managed to survive that, without the bond Alanna would not have been able to lead Cadsuane et al to Far Madding, so Cadsuane would not have been around to organise the defence during the Cleansing, which means Rand would have died there, and the forsaken would have nabbed the Choedan kal.

Without the bond rand would already be dead from fain's dagger.

And if he had managed to survive that, without the bond Alanna would not have been able to lead Cadsuane et al to Far Madding, so Cadsuane would not have been around to organise the defence during the Cleansing, which means Rand would have died there, and the forsaken would have nabbed the Choedan kal.

maybe we should go to a mirror world and see how everythign would ahve worked out if alanna wouldnt have made that decision?

I would have killed her. Or mind raped her back, whatever I was in the mood for.

You do know what happens to a warder when his Aes Sedai dies, right ;)

i wonder if it will be the same cuz he had no affection for her and he has his 3 girlas to help him... cope.

Prior to the girls, it would have been. The Death Absortion is not a function of emotion, it is an effect of the bond snapping--we actually see this. Asne's warders experience the Death Rage in KoD, even though only one of them (Powl) was a darkfriend. The others had every reason to see her dead, and were compelled to serve by the bond, yet they all experienced the Rage.

After the bond... I'm not sure. Rand hesitantly thinks of her having been pushed aside by the bond with the girls. Certainly we know it had an actual, specific effect--Alanna was knocked unconcious by it. It's possible that he would no longer be affected so heavily by her death.

Archived