DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

TOWERS OF MIDNIGHT cover art, blurb and opening paragraph

Werthead

The UK cover from Orbit Books:

Towers+of+Midnight+UK.jpg

A rough mock-up of the US cover from JordanCon, which may not be the final version or even the same illustration:

The cover blurb:

The Last Battle has started. The seals on the Dark One's prison are crumbling. The Pattern itself is unravelling, and the armies of the Shadow have begun to boil out of the Blight. Perrin Aybara is hunted by spectres from his past. To prevail, he must find a way to master the wolf within him or lose himself to it forever. Meanwhile, Matrim Cauthon prepares for the most difficult challenge of his life. The Tower of Ghenjei awaits, and its secrets will reveal the fate of a friend long lost. The end draws near. It's time to roll the dice.

The opening paragraph:

"The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again. In one Age, called the Third Age by some, an Age yet to come, an Age long past, a wind rose around the misty peaks of Imfaral. The wind was not the beginning. There are neither beginnings nor endings to the turning of the Wheel of Time. But it was a beginning."

Orbit also have a page for the book in their catalogue and list the page count as 784 and the release date as November 2010, thirteen months after TGS was released. The page count is inaccurate, and is in fact the same page count as TGS that they've just repeated. The final book will likely be longer (well into the 800s), reflecting Sanderson's expectation that this book will come in at 20,000 words or more longer than the previous one.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perrin Aybara is hunted by spectres from his past

I'm wondering who this is about. I'm assuming when they say spectres, they are referring to an actual ghost of a dead person since we know ghosts have been coming around a lot lately.

Maybe the wind will pass East toward Randland and we'll get a glimpse of what has been happening on the Seafolk Islands and the people who just killed themselves.

If the page count is incorrect, how much of a chance is there that the release date is incorrect too?

Sanderson should comment on the release date at JordanCon. Apparently there is now a 'firm' release date that Tor, Orbit and Sanderson are all happy with, and from the tone of Sanderson's recent, optimistic blog posts (after a tough Christmas period when he was quite down on the chances of the book making it in 2010), it sounds like this date will indeed be October/November 2010. More news on this today or tomorrow I expect from the con.

How long was Sanderson writing these before TGS was out? I'm just wondering how fast he is writing them. As much as I want to read them, I want them to be as good as they can be, and rushing never makes for great work.

So, the towers of midnight was referring to the Seanchan towers after all.
Brandon said he used "The Three Towers" as a working title, somewhat jokingly. So the Seanchan towers are only part of it. My guess is the others are the Tower of Genji, and the Black Tower. I mean, what else is there? But it's a guess.

Brandon said he used "The Three Towers" as a working title, somewhat jokingly. So the Seanchan towers are only part of it. My guess is the others are the Tower of Genji, and the Black Tower. I mean, what else is there? But it's a guess.

there is also the White Tower, but it was a big part of TGS so I think your right (at least I hope you are ) about the 3 towers he was talking about.

The reason I said that is because the opening paragraph mentions Imfaral which is where the TOM are located.

Great news. Looking forward to it. Oct./Nov. publication date sounds great. Better than I expected. And I think we'll see some of Seanchan. You can't throw out the wind bit and then not deliver.

ETA: covers as usual: UK neutral/boring, US typical Sweet. Cover blurb: Mat: pretty much expected, Perrin: ?? specters from the past? Whitecloaks? Isam/Luc? Something about Manetheren? Or just a weirdly written blurb?

Perrin: ?? specters from the past? Whitecloaks? Isam/Luc? Something about Manetheren? Or just a weirdly written blurb?

Perrin has plenty of past stuff to go into. I mean he has ignored his mission for Rand for the last few books, and stuff from his past includes the Whitecloaks, Slayer, and the wolves. All things he has been ignoring in his pursuit of the one who most people hate. She's not as bad as Elayne but she is close.

I could do with a fall 2010 release. I just started a complete reread, it's been awhile since I've read the whole series. If I really take my time, I should be able to satisfy my WoT cravings until the book comes out.

Along with the help of forum communication.

First off, here are the places listed in the beginning paragraph of Chapter One, in each WoT book for comparison sakes:

tEoW book - a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist.

tGH book - a wind rose in the Mountains of Dhoom.

tDR book - a wind rose in the Mountains of Mist.

tSR book - a wind rose on the great plain called the Caralain Grass.

tFoH book - a wind rose in the great forest called Braem Wood.

LoC book - a wind rose among brown-thicketed hills in Cairhien.

aCoS book - a wind rose in the great forest called Braem Wood.

tPoD book - a wind rose above the great mountainous island of Tremalking.

WH book - a wind rose above the Aryth Ocean.

CoT book - a wind rose in the Rhannon Hills.

KoD book - a wind rose above the broken mountain named Dragonmount.

tGS book - a wind rose around the alabaster spire known as the White Tower.

ToM book - a wind rose around the misty peak of Imfaral.

Based on past WoT books, it's difficult to say how long that wind arising from the misty peak of Imfaral will stay there.  ;)

Now what has not anyone else mentioned this about Imfaral, to my knowledge yet?

Imfaral is the nearest Seanchan city to the Blight, too.  Curiously, the Seanchan city of Asinbayar (and Barsabba) is where Suroth's former residence is (CoT, Ch.6), is just to the south of Imfaral & the 13 Towers of Midnight complex.

Importantly from the point of view of Trollocs, there are no large rivers between the Blight and Imfaral. Nor any large bodies of water between the Blight and Asinbayar. We can see this based on the BWB map of Seanchan.

p157.gif

Imfaral is going to see Trollocs, and very soon I gather.

Source: The Eye of the World book, Chapter 19 "Shadow's Waiting" - Rand pov with Mat, Perrin, Thom, Lan, Nynaeve, Egwene in Shadar Logoth

“Trollocs and Myrddraal loathe deep water, Trollocs are terrified of it. Neither can swim. A Halfman will not wade anything more than waist deep, especially if it’s moving. Trollocs won’t do even that if they can find any way to avoid it.”

“So once we get across the river we’re safe,” Rand said, and the Warder nodded.

“The Myrddraal will find it almost as hard to make the Trollocs build rafts as it was to drive them into Shadar Logoth, and if they try to make them cross the Arinelle that way, half will run away and the rest probably drown.”

“Get to your horses,” Moiraine said. “We are not across the river yet.”

If Trollocs, Myrddraal loath crossing moving bodies of water; how can Shadowspawn cross part of an ocean to touch the southern continent of Seanchan, during T'G?

Does the Shadow have a navy to ferry Trollocs across the water?

I do not know if they do, but it has to be considered.

Speculation: If some ports are deemed "Safe Ports" for outsiders in Shara; does this imply that there are "Unsafe Ports" for outsiders? If "unsafe Ports" exist in Shara, why are those ports off limits?  What is special about them?  The whole eastern coastline of Shara is empty on the BWB map, why is that?

Because even if there are Trollocs in Seandar, lets assume, many other parts of the southern continent of Seanchan are surrounding by either ocean or rivers completely.

Or is there another function form of transportation I am not seeing here?

- Bridge(s) spanning the North & South continents of Seanchan?

- Waygates?

- Portalstones?

- Or something else?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This same type of analysis can be applied to the Westlands continent, as well. Just focus on large bodies of water including rivers and then look for choke points.

Two Westlands examples are:

- Manetherendrelle river and the bridge at Whitebridge;

- The River on the southern border of Amadicia (who's name in script is tough to read: River Sharte? Slarvte? Shavle?) and the former border area between Tarabon, Amadicia.  

Morgase once referred indirectly to what is across from this Amadician river to the south, who's name I do not know how to properly spell:  "Ailron, Anointed by the Light, King and Defender of Amadicia, Guardian of the Southern Gate,"... "One day she would have to ask. The Southern Gate to what?". (Source: LoC,Prologue, Morgase pov)  

The two choke points are, the bridge at Whitebridge crossing Manetherendrelle river; and the former border area between Tarabon & Amadicia. Why? There are both narrow areas to avoid crossing large bodies of moving water.

Imfaral is the nearest Seanchan city to the Blight, too.  Curiously, the Seanchan city of Asinbayar (and Barsabba) is where Suroth's former residence is (CoT, Ch.6), is just to the south of Imfaral & the 13 Towers of Midnight complex.

Importantly from the point of view of Trollocs, there are no large rivers between the Blight and Imfaral. Nor any large bodies of water between the Blight and Asinbayar. We can see this based on the BWB map of Seanchan.

p157.gif

Imfaral is going to see Trollocs, and very soon I gather.

Am I totally missing something?

None of the Seanchan have any idea what a Trolloc is, until Tylee brings back a few heads to Tuon.  They all think Shadowspawn are superstition and folklore before then.  Wouldn't there be some record of Trollocs if they existed there?  Wouldn't Trollocs raid like they do in the Borderlands?  Have Trollocs been just chillin' up there, biding their time for 3000 years?

I was under the impression that Shadowspawn had never lived on the Seanchan continent.  The Armies of the Night that the Seanchan often reference were led by western hemisphere Aes Sedai (no relation to the White Tower Aes Sedai), right?

There were never any Trollocs there, and there is no Blight in the way that there is the Blight north of Randland, the Waste, and Shara.

Am I totally off, or what?  I haven't read the BWB in a decade, but really . . . since when have there been Trollocs in the far north of Seanchan?

I do agree that just because there is a mention of Imfaral in the opening paragraph doesn't guarantee that we'll see more than a paragraph's worth of storyline from Seanchan.

Who are those people on the US cover, I could almost swear I see an ashandarei-like spear, but why is it gold if that's the case? Is the guy leaning on the staff old or is it my eyes?

Well, Darrell Sweet's never been accused of being 100% accurate.  In the case of the spear, it does look like Mat's except for the color. I'm assuming the old person is Thom.  Third guy? I was thinking it was going to be Noal, but based on the cover it doesn't appear to be that way.

But then again, Darrell Sweet's never been accused of being 100% accurate ;)

I think I remember someone on here saying that the shadowspawn on Seanchan were wiped out in the first 1000 years but I could be mistaken.

As to spectres in Perrin's past, let's not forget Fain, in addition to Rand, Fain is the one that killed Perrin's family.

As for which towers, that's multiple choice, like Two Towers in LOTR is.  I just hope Perrin's spectres give him a good beating before they leave.  Perrin did destroy the Shaido and tie a thread to the Seanchan but he did that all by accident.  and the world could burn as long as he got Faile back.  So he has much to answer for.  Mat went to the ToG for Thom but at least Rand will fail without Moiraine; what's wolfman's excuse.

I like the armies of the shadow boiling outta the blight but several things still need to be resolved.  Jared is still running around Andor, the borderlanders are ?.  Sounds promising for lots of action

Question: We know the Tower of Ravens located in the Seanchan capital city is used as an imperial prison especially for members of the blood, but there is also a reference to the first marath damane shaking the Towers of Midnight. Are the Towers of Midnight also a prison? Can you tell us more about them? (Some of this question paraphrased)?

Jordan: There are thirteen towers of midnight. The Towers of Midnight are a fortress complex, and were, at the time this happened, Shandar wasn’t the capital, and the Towers of Midnight were the center of military might, or the forces that were beginning the consolidation before the conquest of Seanchan.

http://members.casema.nl/e.f.delaat/Dragon%20Con%20day%202.html

Very interesting... this quote from DragonCon in 2005, and the opening paragraph for ToM leads me to believe that maybe there could be at least a small portion of this new book having a scene from the Seanchan continent in it.

Archived