DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

TOWERS OF MIDNIGHT cover art, blurb and opening paragraph

Werthead

Question: We know the Tower of Ravens located in the Seanchan capital city is used as an imperial prison especially for members of the blood, but there is also a reference to the first marath damane shaking the Towers of Midnight. Are the Towers of Midnight also a prison? Can you tell us more about them? (Some of this question paraphrased)?

Jordan: There are thirteen towers of midnight. The Towers of Midnight are a fortress complex, and were, at the time this happened, Shandar wasn’t the capital, and the Towers of Midnight were the center of military might, or the forces that were beginning the consolidation before the conquest of Seanchan.

http://members.casema.nl/e.f.delaat/Dragon%20Con%20day%202.html

Very interesting... this quote from DragonCon in 2005, and the opening paragraph for ToM leads me to believe that maybe there could be at least a small portion of this new book having a scene from the Seanchan continent in it.

I seem to remember a quote from BS saying he picked Towers of Midnight because he thought it was poetic or some such wording, and always kind of thought that meant there'd be new Towers of Midnight, "in their new center of military might, with the forces that were beginning the consolidation before the conquest of Randland."

But starting off the winds in the original location puts a damper on that, unless it's just a teaser.

Edit: My bad not poetic:

As for that book . . . well, it's time for it to have a title. We've been calling it Shifting Winds up until this point, but that was never intended to be the final title. After a long round of conversations with Tor and Harriet, we settled on TOWERS OF MIDNIGHT as the title. There are various reasons for this, which I'll go into more once the book is out next year. I'm pleased, however, as this was the title I suggested. It's actually appropriate in an interesting way. Harriet was the one who came up with the name for the first of the three, and the second one gets the title I proposed. And so, we will (as I've been saying for a while) use Mr. Jordan's title for the final of the three, A MEMORY OF LIGHT.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Empress has Travelling now. Be no biggy to step into ToM and see how bad things are in Seanchan. Might hasten her

truce with Rand.

Perrin past would includes the 2R's whitecloaks. "So Byars, Bornhald. Do you believe in the Seanchan now?"

None of the Seanchan have any idea what a Trolloc is, until Tylee brings back a few heads to Tuon.  They all think Shadowspawn are superstition and folklore before then.  Wouldn't there be some record of Trollocs if they existed there?  Wouldn't Trollocs raid like they do in the Borderlands?  Have Trollocs been just chillin' up there, biding their time for 3000 years?

There is a world wide map in the BWB showing that the Blight is physically touching the northern Seanchan continent.  Imfaral is the closest major city to the Blight in Seachan.

WoTworld.png

Yes, Trollocs are folklore to the current Seanchan people(s) on the mainland.  That's one reason Tuon/Fortuona was surprised to learn Mat Cauthon was right about Trollocs being in the Westlands (tGS book). 

I do not know why Trollocs have not been attacking southward in Seanchan, over the past 2,000+ years, since Luthair Paendrag first arrived.  However Ishamael did manipulate the Seanchan version of the prophecies, we know that much. I suspect Ishamael/Moridin is behind the lack Shadowspawn attacks upon the Seanchan mainland over the past 2,000+, but I cannot prove that.

There seemingly is a parallel theme of a lack of Trolloc attacks into the Aiel Waste, during the very same time period as in Seanchan mainland. Yet the Aiel do know that Trollocs are real, unlike the Seanchan people on the mainland who do not.

Source: The Great Hunt book, Chapter 28 "A New Thread in the Pattern" - Perrin pov with Urien a Red Shield Aiel of the Reyn Clan, Mat, Uno, Masema, Verin Sedai. 

An excited look appeared on the Aes Sedai’s face, but Ingtar spoke impatiently. “We are following Darkfriends and Trollocs, Urien. Have you seen any sign of them?”

“Trollocs? Here?” Urien’s eyes brightened. “It is one of the signs the prophecies speak of. When the Trollocs come out of the Blight again, we will leave the Three-fold Land and take back our places of old.” There was muttering from the mounted Shienarans. Urien eyed them with a pride that made him seem to be looking down from a height.

I was under the impression that Shadowspawn had never lived on the Seanchan continent.  The Armies of the Night that the Seanchan often reference were led by western hemisphere Aes Sedai (no relation to the White Tower Aes Sedai), right?

I believe your referring to this section of text, yes?

Source: The Eye of the World book, Chapter 34 'The Wheel Weaves' - Padan Fain pov with Seanchan High Lord Turak in Falme

Turak took a sip of black liquid from the thin cup balanced on longnailed fingertips. “Few Darkfriends remain in Seanchan. Those who survive the Seekers for Truth meet the axe of the headsman. It might be amusing to meet a Darkfriend.”

“High Lord, they are dangerous. They have Trollocs with them. They are led by one who calls himself Rand al’Thor. A young man, but vile in the Shadow beyond belief, with a lying, devious tongue. In many places he has claimed to be many things, but always the Trollocs come when he is there, High Lord. Always the Trollocs come . . . and kill.”

“Trollocs,” Turak mused. “There were no Trollocs in Seanchan. But the Armies of the Night had other allies. Other things. I have often wondered if a grolm could kill a Trolloc. I will have watch kept for your Trollocs and your Darkfriends, if they are not another lie. This land wearies me with boredom.” He sighed and inhaled the fumes from his cup.

Turak believes that there were no Trollocs in Seanchan in the past. Is Turak's knowledge reliable or not?  ???

For example, even most Illianers think Trollocs & Fades are fables, too (tGH, Ch.25). Information can get distorted over time & geographical distance, as RJ noted in a past interview. In Turak's case, 2000 years is quite a distance back in time.  Part of the reason I ask & question Turak's quotation above, is knowledge has on purpose been destroyed, distorted, hidden in the Westlands (ex.- White Tower Library burned), among the Aiel Clans and in Shara.  Did the same occur in the Seanchan mainland?  We know of at least one 'Great Fire', of Sohima, during Tuon's own life time.  How many other Great Fires were there in Seanchan over the roughly past 2,000+ years?  Or documents hidden, destroyed, distort, or the incomplete truth told?

There was a minor version of the blight.  It is still there, but the trollocs and all other shadowspawn have been eliminated by Luthair's forces and his descendants.  My guess is that there have been no shadowspawn for such a long period, for centuries at the least, such things descended into myth.

Actually the Shadowspawn in Seanchan were eradicated (with the exception of the Draghkar) a thousand years before Luthair landed. The War of the Shadow never really ended in Seanchan, and after the Breaking Aes Sedai used Portal Stones to bring creatures like the grolm and raken and so forth back to be used in the fight. They continued fighting until the Shadowspawn were destroyed--and then, given the state of Seanchan when Luthair arrived--I'm guessing they turned on each other. This makes sense, a thousand years of war would leave you martial minded. Lacking an enemy to unify you, you'd seek to find the greatest gain. Of course that is just speculation--just as likely is that Ishamael played some roll in the Aes Sedai being at each other's throarts.

Irrespective, aside from a few Draghkar the Shadowspawn in Seanchan were killed off by the time of the Trolloc Wars.

I've started to wonder. What if Demandred has seized Seanchan and that's where his rule secure is? Do we have evidence against that?

We have no solid evidence, but with Semirhage as the most powerful servant of the most powerful person in the empire, anything Demandred did would be kinda useless, don't you think?

On the subject of Seachan not believing in Trollocs despite having their own Blight, looking at that map, the Blight is freaking huge. Trollocs and Myrdraal would have a HUGE walk to get to the other continent from Shayol Ghul, and then after a big long march they'd have to face an excellent military force.

I've started to wonder. What if Demandred has seized Seanchan and that's where his rule secure is? Do we have evidence against that?

We have no solid evidence, but with Semirhage as the most powerful servant of the most powerful person in the empire, anything Demandred did would be kinda useless, don't you think?

If we consider the alliance between Semi - Demi - Mesaana.. something has to show what they were working towards.  Unfortunately we'll never figure it out right now.  It could be White Tower - Black Tower - Seanchan.  Could be White Tower - Seanchan - Murandy.  Could be simply White Tower and Seanchan, with Semi as the diplomat and Demandred bringing over the army.

No way at all to know yet.

The worst thing about this cover, is that Sweet has already drawn the Ashandarei on the cover of TFOH, and CoT.  Now, all of a sudden, it has turned GOLD.  WTF?!?!

Everyone is making such a big deal out of this. Maybe something happens in this book that changes it. If they do go to the Tower of G. it could have something to do with that. I may be a mistake on the illustrators part, or it could be foreshadowing upcoming events.

The worst thing about this cover, is that Sweet has already drawn the Ashandarei on the cover of TFOH, and CoT.  Now, all of a sudden, it has turned GOLD.  WTF?!?!

Everyone is making such a big deal out of this. Maybe something happens in this book that changes it. If they do go to the Tower of G. it could have something to do with that. I may be a mistake on the illustrators part, or it could be foreshadowing upcoming events.

I highly doubt it.  Unless the thing is going to tun to heartstone.  Could have just been the light hitting it, I suppose.  I'm just not much of a fan of Sweet to begin with.  I'd much rather get the final two hardcovers with new fan art like the ebooks.

have we found out about slayer my guess is that he and perin will battle, even though perrin has to answer to his past, he will be there for the final battle

I'd really love to just finally learn what exactly Slayer is, and how he gained his abilities-how he became the merger of two different people.

Then I'd like to see he and Fain fight to the death.

Just out of curiosity...why would Trollocs and such have attacked the Seanchan? 

If we start with the premise that Ishy was behind the Hawkwing first sending his army there as he said, why attack them?  They were sent for a reason...to return and wreak havoc.  Having trollocs attack does no good...let the Seanchan grow powerful so that they can serve the DOs bidding (if unknowingly) when the time comes.

Maybe Perrin "facing his past" will have to do with what he did to the whitecloaks. The first time he ever killed was in tEotW and arguably it was more murder than self defense. And we learned in Rand's color swirl that Perrin was with Galad who was with Dain and Byar. There's a blast from the past.

Archived