DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

I'm still not sure what you're asking. Are you looking for the Shadow's hand in occurrences where the Lightsiders don't know who's to blame, or that we don't?

For the former, I don't think anyone caught up to the fact that Alviarin orchestrated Siuan's demise (even though Egwene clearly noted the BA's hand in facilitating it). As for the latter, well, we don't know... Are you looking for ideas on what might've been the work of DF?

yes on what we can speculate as DF work, without us actually knowing 100% it was DF's. I am just wanting examples of this for some reason

I could remember one from New Spring, she watched Elyas train at swords.

Looking her up in the EWoT reveals that she was a Sitter in the Tower after the split, and part of the Mystery of the Too-Young Sitters. This is mentioned in CoT, and she is one of the 11 Sitters that raises Egwene to Amyrlin in the Tower in TGS.

Do we see any scenes with Elyas' Aes Sedai? When I came across the name in TPoD I thought it was familiar, but I couldn't pinpoint the source.

I was thinking about that the other day. In PoD or CoT Perrin says to Elyas something like "Rina is your AS?" I just did not remember Perrin meeting her. A quick look at Idealseek showed this was her first mention, though her name may have come up earlier and just slipped through the search.

She was dumped into a skimming gateway. She is still falling through nothingness.

Where was that stated?

I have no recollection of that whatsoever...

Hmmm... I don't know why I thought that. That is just what I recall. I'll have to pay more attention on the next read through.

Thinking over the theories that have been put forth, there is talk of a reseal (with a necessary buffer in place such as Fain or the True Power with Moridin) and there is also talk that this age might be different from others with Rand actually breaking the wheel/killing the DO.

Assuming the latter, has anyone put forth the theory (I don't know if it has any basis at all) that Rand decides to "Stedding-ize" the whole world or just where the DO is? If the DO is a force of nature and the life force of the DO is essentially the TP, then the one place it cannot exist is in a Stedding, right? Just curious if this has been talked about.

Although that might be a good point, once I think about it. Shadowspawn cannot come into stedding. So, whether or not Shadowspawn are made using the TP or some other force, the DO's influence is greatly reduced in a stedding. So, if Rand and company could duplicate the affects around the bore, it might limit the DO's influence in the rest of the world (then again, maybe not, since the DO's prison is everywhere, it just can be felt better in that one place). Also, can a stedding be artificially created? I know that Far Madding simulates the affect, but it didn't seem to affect Fain, and I would assume that means it has no affect on shadowspawn either, only the OP.

So, two big IF's. If Rand could recreate a stedding, and if doing so at Shayul Ghul will block the DO's power around the globe, then this might be a solution. Far-fetched, sure, but this is magic we're talking about here.

Edited by Whizbang

Rand created an inverted weave deathtrap for any shadowspawn coming out of the Waygate at Shadar Logoth, but does not do so anywhere else. Given how easily he could have done so at all the other Waygates and prevented the ToM trolloc invasion of Caemlyn...well, why didn't he?

I suppose he thought that Loial was closing them all when he sent him off with the Asha'man to do so, but given that a "closed" Waygate had been reopened before (wasn't it when Fain was chasing) wouldn't it make more sense to take extra precautions. Moreover, wouldn't it also be a tactical advantage? So many trollocs coming through a Waygate and then dying would give away an enemy's location and intention.

Edited by Barid Bel Medar
spoiler

Yeah, he could've done that, and maybe should have, but at the time he also didn't spare much time for the BT, arguably a much bigger concern. So, he trusted to Loial and whichever AM it was to get the job done. Re-opening the Waygates would require someone on the outside to open them. Doable since there are so many DFs around, but the cost in Trollocs and Fades who get trapped until the dark side figures out that all the waygates are closed would be huge.

Not disagreeing, per se, just saying that Rand didn't have the time to really handle this personally, and keeping Trollocs and Fades from the majority of the world was accomplished. Yes, Caemlyn was attacked through the waygate, but maybe armies were sent to many other cities and they got trapped. Maybe closing the waygates gave Rand enough time to get through his crisis and reach his epiphany in VoG.

From what I recall, Rand warded several other Waygates besides the Shadar Logoth one. Shadar Logoth was the only on scene one. The books do not tell how Rand did the other Waygate wards.

Edit:: I was mistaken. Rand set up guards at those locations.

Probably the reason for doing wards at Shadar Logoth was that it was an uninhabited area.

Not sure if doing wards at Caemlyn would have prevented the attack there. The wards would probably have been similar to the ones at Shadar Logoth.

Edited by mb

When Verin works her form of "convincing" on prisoner AS, she says that the recipient might die with an year or 10 years of the weave. Does that mean those 23 will not live beyond a decade?

Her thoughts could've been intended to imply that the course she put them on might lead to death rather than the actual weave.