DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Who are the two Aes Sedai that Miraj saw with Suroth in TPoD?

The da’covale with the writing desk in her arms caught his eye. Scowls flashed across her pretty doll’s face, never pushed down for more than moments. Property showing anger? And there was something else. His gaze flickered to the damane, who stood with her head down but still looked around with curiosity. Brown-eyed da’covale and pale-eyed damane looked about as different as two women could, yet there was something about them. Something in their faces. Strange. He could not have said how old either was.

The da'covale is Liandrin (perma-shielded by Moghedien), and the damane is Pura, formerly known as Ryma Galfrey, a Yellow captured in Falme. Ryma made brief appearances in New Spring.

Who are the two Aes Sedai that Miraj saw with Suroth in TPoD?

The da’covale with the writing desk in her arms caught his eye. Scowls flashed across her pretty doll’s face, never pushed down for more than moments. Property showing anger? And there was something else. His gaze flickered to the damane, who stood with her head down but still looked around with curiosity. Brown-eyed da’covale and pale-eyed damane looked about as different as two women could, yet there was something about them. Something in their faces. Strange. He could not have said how old either was.

The da'covale is Liandrin (perma-shielded by Moghedien), and the damane is Pura, formerly known as Ryma Galfrey, a Yellow captured in Falme. Ryma made brief appearances in New Spring.

So it seems that Ryma still remembers her identity. She isn't totally transformed like Shianne "Meylin." Is that correct?

Edited by Theodril

So it seems that Ryma still remembers her identity. She isn't totally transformed like Shianne "Meylin." Is that correct?

Edesina and Teslyn both agreed the other captured sisters including Ryma were broken, and would ruin any rescue attempt.

Edesina and Teslyn both agreed the other captured sisters including Ryma were broken, and would ruin any rescue attempt.

True, thanks for reminding me of that. But the underlined quote above had me thinking that Ryma isn't acting as badly as Meylin; and there might still be some hope for her.

Edited by Theodril

True, thanks for reminding me of that. But the underlined quote above had me thinking that Ryma isn't acting as badly as Meylin; and there might still be some hope for her.

You know, anything's possible. There might be a scene in there somewhere along the way where it's eluded that she's recovering from her time trapped by the leash (assuming it's ever removed). To be honest I'd put it at even odds that she'll never be mentioned by either name again. More prominent characters than she have been reduced to near-anonymity or vanished completely.

When you're not waiting 5 years inbetween books and CoT is the only thing to bridge that gap, it's fine.

It's not a very long book and you can blow through it pretty quickly.

CoT is one of the weaker books for sure but its horrible reputation had more to do with when it came out and how long it took to get there. Leaving you with an empty, unsatisfied feeling.

When I do my re-reads, I like to treat it like it's half Epilogue from Winter's Heart and half Prologue to Knife of Dreams heh.

Edited by Finnssss

Is CoT worth reading on a reread? Ive read it before so I know what hapens, but are there any really good scenes in it that warrant a reread?

I think it was better then Path of Daggers and Winter's Heart. A lot of the plotlines that were kind of stalled in book 9 finally get moving somewhere.

The scene where Perrin forms an alliance with the Seanchen was pretty awesome. The Egwene rebel aes sedi stuff finally starts to go somewhere. And the clensing of saidin scene was great.

Yeah, I think it's worth a re-read.

What's so appalling about the Asha'man bonding the Aes Sedai? Is it mainly because it was men bonding women or is there something else I'm not getting?

Every time we come across Aes Sedai who are aware of what happened at the Black Tower, they all say it's an atrocity. The thing is, those Aes Sedai were their to kill the Asha'man. And at least those Aes Sedai are still alive. I can't imagine them thinking the Aes Sedai being dead preferable to them being bonded by men.

What's so appalling about the Asha'man bonding the Aes Sedai? Is it mainly because it was men bonding women or is there something else I'm not getting?

Every time we come across Aes Sedai who are aware of what happened at the Black Tower, they all say it's an atrocity. The thing is, those Aes Sedai were their to kill the Asha'man. And at least those Aes Sedai are still alive. I can't imagine them thinking the Aes Sedai being dead preferable to them being bonded by men.

Not many people are aware of Elaida's orders regarding the AM.

It's appaling to AS because they are arrogant brats with self-inflated opinions of themselves who see themselves superior to everybody else. When they were bonded or sworn to Rand, that misguided belief went bye-bye. These are the people who preferred to be blamed for the genocide of Malkieri instead of admitting they are human-beings just like everybody else. They want to keep that appearance desperately because it is the foundation of their power. So when somebody proved they are not infallible, they got outraged.

Go here for more.

Because it implies equality, or even superiority, of the Asha'man. The Aes Sedai go through plenty of effort to ensure that they are considered "untouchable", they are not to be considered normal humans even when they err. Bringing the proud Aes Sedai down to a position where they are trailing after Asha'man, doing menial labor, is an insult far greater than simply killing them.

Men, especially channelers, have killed Aes Sedai before, but the difference between "runaway threat" to "rival institution" is pretty big to Aes Sedai.

Not many people were aware right after the incident; but almost all Aes Sedai knew the truth later on. My understanding is that many of those who called it an atrocity knew the facts by the time they made that characterization.

The irony with Toveine's expedition is that Alviarin made sure that it was 100% clean of the BA. Just a nice example of Siuan's Law of Unintended Consequences!

Is CoT worth reading on a reread? Ive read it before so I know what hapens, but are there any really good scenes in it that warrant a reread?

I think it was better then Path of Daggers and Winter's Heart. A lot of the plotlines that were kind of stalled in book 9 finally get moving somewhere.

The scene where Perrin forms an alliance with the Seanchen was pretty awesome. The Egwene rebel aes sedi stuff finally starts to go somewhere. And the clensing of saidin scene was great.

Yeah, I think it's worth a re-read.

I think you're getting your books mixed up, the cleansing was in WH. The allaince with the Seanchan was in KoD.

I'm sure this question has been asked several times already but I dont know where. What is the connection between Berelain and the Aiel, and Ruarc in particular? I cannot believe Ruarc ever wondered from his two wives - he doesnt seem the suicidal time.

They believe her to be a strong, smart woman. She is one of the few Wetlanders they respect at that point of the series.

Rhurac thinks of her and treats her like a daughter, there isn't anything else going on.

Edited by Finnssss

A. It is basically a form of compulsion, especally the way the Asha'men do it.

B. Taking someone as a warder against their will is very much taboo these days.

C. If an Asha'man bonds an Aes Sedi, and then the Asha'man dies, the Aes Sedi probably dies too. Most warders do, after all. This is especally disturbing if you don't know that Sadin has been clensed; most people still assume that an asha'man has a lifespan of at best a few years before he goes insane and/or dies.

Not many people were aware right after the incident; but almost all Aes Sedai knew the truth later on. My understanding is that many of those who called it an atrocity knew the facts by the time they made that characterization.

The irony with Toveine's expedition is that Alviarin made sure that it was 100% clean of the BA. Just a nice example of Siuan's Law of Unintended Consequences!

Logain burned Elaida's orders. I guess all the AS on the doomed expedition knew of the order, as well as Alviarin, but I am not aware of any other AS.

Logain burned Elaida's orders. I guess all the AS on the doomed expedition knew of the order, as well as Alviarin, but I am not aware of any other AS.

I think I remember that Toveine sent a report from Cairhien to the Red Ajah explaining their predicament (from which I guess that all Ajah heads received reports from their respective bonded). I am under the impression that Nynaeve may have informed Egwene of the situation. And of course, we have the Yellow spies in Cairhien informing Romanda of the sworn Aes Sedai and the bonded ones as well (if I recall correctly). If not the Yellow spies, then surely any spy in the BT or Illian or wherever the bonded AS moved with their bond-holders.

Edited by Theodril

There are two different orders you're referring to. The first, which is general knowledge by now, is the order to send 50 sisters to raid the BT. The second, secret, one is to Gentle every male channeler on site without a trial or being brought back to the Tower. I don't think many know about that order, although Tsutama might well know.