DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

So I've got a question (bet you didn't see that one coming!): Where is everyone in the timeline compared to Rand? Obviously Perrin, Egwene, Elayne, Nyneave are all with him at the FoM, but what about Mat, Thom, Moiraine, and Talmanes, Olver, and Lan, and Androl and the BT?

Question: In EoTW, does Rand kill Ishamael, or does Ishy OD on TP? Because Rand certainly seems to think that he did it, and so does everyone else, but when he sees Ishy again, Ishy tells him that he drew too much of the power.

Also: There's a point when Rand starts sucking down OP, and Ishy suddenly gets worried. Why?

To question one, I think you mean did he kill Aginor or did Aginor overdraw...at least that is my memory of it. Ishy says he overdrew, but you have to take the word of a guy who may not be trustworthy, though he has no real reason to lie about this particular thing that I know of.

For the other, this is all my opinion: as to why he gets worried, that probably has two aspects. First, if he can draw on the OP, he is a threat, however untrained. Second is probably the worry that he would accidentally kill himself by overdrawing; and given how he went out the last time he overdrew, might kill Ishy along with him - you have Dragonmount, and also what happened to Manetheren when its last queen overdrew as examples of the kind of devastation that can wreak. Ishy, at least to my thinking, wants the whole cycle to end. Apparently, from all we have seen and read in WoT, he needs the Dragon alive to be able to accomplish that. It's my personal thought that only the Dragon can break the pattern to the point that the Dark One can break free and end it all - if anyone could do it, it would have been done by now, honestly.

So I've got a question (bet you didn't see that one coming!): Where is everyone in the timeline compared to Rand? Obviously Perrin, Egwene, Elayne, Nyneave are all with him at the FoM, but what about Mat, Thom, Moiraine, and Talmanes, Olver, and Lan, and Androl and the BT?

All timelines are relatively on par with each other (within a day or three) except the BT.

The BT timeline is a week or two (10-20 days) behind everyone else. That's right from BS, he said that catching up and cleaning up the BT timeline is an early priority in aMoL. Needs to be caught up before moving on.

Edited by Finnssss

How does the multiquote function work? I've found that it goes green when you click on it (on more than one post) but how do you get them into one reply?

Do what you just did and after that click the 'add reply' button at the bottom of the page. The quotes should be there.

Thanks Luckers, I'll try it next time I need it.

I am not Luckers :tongue:

Sorry Arani, must have been half asleep :rolleyes:

Mat, Thom, Moiraine are somewhere pretty close in timeline (Mat has his visions of the Borderlanders with rand before he enter ToG and there's more than a hint that he escapes ToG as Olver wins the game of foxes). Again Mat has visions when he exits that suggest he's not overshot FoM.

Olver - Talmanes - the attack on Caemlyn occurs as Mat escapes ToG if we assume the impossible game is won at that moment.

Lan is guesswork - all we know for sure is that his timeline is quite a bit post Nynaeve receiving the bond and Rand hasn't apparently mounted a rescue mission because Rand thinks of leaving a friend to die.

Androl and the BT may be quite a bit behind in timeline. We know from Perrin and Rand's conversations that the BT is still cut off until the day before FoM.

In Towers of Midnight, Morgase tells Tellanvor about Compulsion. Chapter 21. Where did she get the information?

If from a person, who?

Graendal sent the dreadlords & trollocs in the south; who sent the dreadlords in the Blight?

Were both groups from the same location or from different locations?

In Towers of Midnight, Morgase tells Tellanvor about Compulsion. Chapter 21. Where did she get the information?

If from a person, who?

Graendal sent the dreadlords & trollocs in the south; who sent the dreadlords in the Blight?

She learned it from Perrin near the beginning of the book I think. While he's meeting with all the other leaders in his army.

It's not named as Compulsion, but we have this earlier in the same chapter:

“There were some in Andor who claimed the Car’a’carn spoke of this,” Edarra added. “He said that this Gaebril had been using forbidden weaves on wetlanders in the palace, twisting their minds, making them think and do as he wished.”

If you are asking who told Morgase that there's a Compulsion weave, no idea. Elaida, probably, or one of her teachers while she was trained in the White Tower.

Actually, this is the exact moment she learned of Gaebril's true identity and what he's done to her:

Perrin nodded, waving for another cup of warmed tea. "Rand said it was Rahvin, though I was in the Two Rivers when the battle happened." The colors swirled in Perrins head. "Rahvin was impersonating one of the local noblemen, a man named Gabral or Gabil or some such. He used the Queen--made her fall in love with him, or something--and then killed her."

A serving tray hit the ground with a muted peal.

Do you mean those in Maradon? We don't know.

Edited by yoniy0

“There were some in Andor who claimed the Car’a’carn spoke of this,” Edarra added. “He said that this Gaebril had been using forbidden weaves on wetlanders in the palace, twisting their minds, making them think and do as he wished.”

If you are asking who told Morgase that there's a Compulsion weave, no idea. Elaida, probably, or one of her teachers while she was trained in the White Tower.

The latter seems likely--and in fact we see Morgase refer earlier to the ability to control someone with the One Power (she thinks during her escape from Rahvin that she 'would have thought he was controlling her with the Power if she did not know better'. The reason she knows better, of course, is that 'Gaebril' is too old to be channeling and not be touched by the Taint physically or mentally).

The latter seems likely--and in fact we see Morgase refer earlier to the ability to control someone with the One Power (she thinks during her escape from Rahvin that she 'would have thought he was controlling her with the Power if she did not know better'. The reason she knows better, of course, is that 'Gaebril' is too old to be channeling and not be touched by the Taint physically or mentally).

Also this:

She raised her head and stared off into the darkness. Northward. Toward Andor. "They call it Compulsion. A dark, foul weave that removes the will from your subject. I'm not supposed to know that it exists."

-- ToM, An Open Gate, p. 333

-- dwn

If from a person, who?

I would add that she must have suspected that for a while. Maybe the compulsion itself prevented her from connecting the lines.

Well, the facts were there. She thought she might have been compelled except for the fact that Gaebril couldn't be a male channeler as they'd go mad. That Rand al'Thor fought someone in Caemlyn. That the last battle was coming. The things she experienced when with Perrin. (Surely, the forsaken were out there)

She should have figured that piece out a long time ago.

We can explain it by her mind being elsewhere (Shaido captivity) and by Rahvin's compulsion forbidding her from thinking about it.

Edited by csarmi

In the KoD epilogue Pevara and the other Reds going to bond Ashaman use a gateway to the BT. Now I know Tarna was present when Beonin demonstrated the weave for Elaida, but Elaida gave the order for it not to be shown to any sister without her approval. And Pevara doesn't show any surprise at the use of a gateway or any wonder. So I'm just wondering what's happened here?

In the KoD epilogue Pevara and the other Reds going to bond Ashaman use a gateway to the BT. Now I know Tarna was present when Beonin demonstrated the weave for Elaida, but Elaida gave the order for it not to be shown to any sister without her approval. And Pevara doesn't show any surprise at the use of a gateway or any wonder. So I'm just wondering what's happened here?

The whole mission to the Black Tower is pretty much the Red Ajah leadership saying "Bite Me" to Elaida. Given that, I doubt Tarna is much concerned with following Elaida's orders.

-- dwn

ToM chptr 53

From what Pevara says/thinks here we can only assume that Tarna showed how to make Gateway's to Tsutama, who then imparted that onto Pevara and some or all of the sisters that went to the BT.

When Pevara says "The Highest", that is the title of the Red Ajah head, in this case Tsutama, not a reference to Elaida.

The whole mission to the Black Tower is pretty much the Red Ajah leadership saying "Bite Me" to Elaida. Given that, I doubt Tarna is much concerned with following Elaida's orders.

-- dwn

Yeah I did think that but still Pevara's lack of reaction seems really weird to me. Everyone else we've seen using gateways for the first time (and even those who have used them lots) usually has a moment of wonder. I'd have at least expected Pevara to wonder where Tarna got the weave. Oh well it's not important I guess.