DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

In tEotW chapter 45 it appears that Moiraine attempts to use balefire on the Machin Shin that is attacking. Is this correct, have I interpreted this correctly?

Obviously this raises a couple of questions such as where did Moiraine get the knowledge of the weave from? Also it didn't appear to get rid of the Machin Shin, and then there seems to be an acceptance that Machin Shin in someway 'bonded' with Padan Fain, imprinting on each other. If that did happen does it possibly mean that Fain is immune to balefire?

I could have completely got the wrong end of the stick there, Moiraine may not have used balefire, but the description suggests it.

I believe this was balefire. Moiraine definitely knows the weave and I believe she gives a vague description of how she intuited the weave, somewhere. As to the reason it didn't remove Machin Shin, it could be because it's like a reef. Moiraine destroyed a part of it, but it is made up of thousands of individual pieces, so it was able to survive as a whole. Fain might be able to join with it in case of balefire, but I think his body would be destroyed.

The pattern does control fate to a limited extent, in that it spins out Ta'veren and Heroes of the Horn when they're needed. It directly interfered when Rand fought Ishamael above Falme, showing visions of the fight in the sky where the two false dragons were in battle, leading to their sound defeat. At that point, the pattern could only support one Dragon Reborn in the world.

Other than that and Ta'veren coincidence, the pattern doesn't really force the issue. Balefire use leaves direct holes in the pattern with threads disappearing. The pattern does not support paradoxes, so it has to somehow cobble together something to bridge the gaps from the missing threads. It doesn't matter to the Pattern which threads continue and which don't, but it matters to the people that are nearby balefire use what new reality the pattern ends up extrapolating. So many unforeseen outcomes from use of heavy balefire leads to undesirable results for both sides of a war where it is used.

Alright, maybe this is the part I don't understand. When a person dies what happens to the thread? Does it end? If so, what difference does balefire make to the pattern? That thread would just become shorter. It still has to weave around a hole. I see the paradox it creates for people, but not for the pattern itself, unless the pattern is predetermined. Therefore a murder with balefire or a murder by conventional means causes the same hole, only one being slightly larger. Take a fictional scientist that has one great discovery and then retires to a deserted island. There are only up to 10 days in his life where a murder by balefire makes a significant difference in his impact on the world versus a conventional murder. That's a pretty small window. Sure it might cause some confusion for the people around him, but why would that confusion greatly alter the rest of their lives versus his murder?

Not sure anyone ask this, if so I apologize.

Is Siuan able to be fully restored to her full abilities by Danin Flinn?

I donno about this Danin Flinn fellow, but she could be severed and healed again to full strength (theoretically) by a man.

Damer Flinn would do the job :myrddraal:

Edited by Barid Bel Medar

This has always kinda confused me, but I just remembered it again. When Toveine is bonded by Logain, one of the Asha'man state that Taim won't be happy that he bonded an Aes Sedai. Is it just that he doesn't want Logain to have multiple bonds? In COT Logain says that Taim was the one to order the Aes Sedai to be bound. So is Logain lying when he said that or is it just he wasn't supposed to bond multiple Aes Sedai?

He wasn't supposed to bond multiple Aes Sedai. If I remember well, the Asha'Man said the M'Hael wouldn't be pleased upon hearing that Logain bonded sisters. But I suppose Taim wanted the sisters bonded to his group, not more-or-less indoctrinated chaneller

This has always kinda confused me, but I just remembered it again. When Toveine is bonded by Logain, one of the Asha'man state that Taim won't be happy that he bonded an Aes Sedai. Is it just that he doesn't want Logain to have multiple bonds? In COT Logain says that Taim was the one to order the Aes Sedai to be bound. So is Logain lying when he said that or is it just he wasn't supposed to bond multiple Aes Sedai?

They aren't necessarily mutually exclusive--Mishraile said that Taim would be displeased Logain had bonded another, and that Taim hadn't really wanted to bond any at all. That doesn't mean Taim didn't give the order--just that he hadn't wanted to give the order.

Taim showing dislike for this course of action supports Logain thinking Rand had forced him to do it.

So I was browsing through the WoT wiki and randomly clicked the name of an Asha'man, a Donalo Sandomere. This guy went completely under my radar, but it is apparently mentioned Rand thinks he looks familiar and that Toveine doubts Donalo is his real name. Is there any idea among the WoT community who this guy really is?

Rand thinks Sandomere looks familiar likely because he'd seen him both at Dumai's Wells and when he addressed the Black Tower back in LoC.

As for Toveine's doubts, they could be because she thinks 'Donalo Sandomere' sounds like more like a nobleman's name than his 'creased farmer's face' would indicate. He wears his beard like noblemen of Tear do, and it's possible that when he was recruited to the BT he wanted to start his life over with a new name (and a more important-sounding one).

I think I remember some threads about him years ago wondering the same thing, and nobody could come up with anything to indicate that he was actually someone else we know.

TSR - Any idea why the Aiel dreamwalkers dreamt that Lan's presence in the Waste was vital? IIRC, he doesn't do anything fantastic or have an extraordinary revelation, or save Rand's life or something else that's game-changing. Sure he's useful because the Aiel respect him and he can teach Rand something about war. But would that be enough? Am I forgetting something?

Melaine said "Yet he (Rand) has come, and if he survives Rhuidean, some of the Aiel at least will survive. This we know. If you had not come, he would have died. If Aan'allein had not come, you would have died. If you do not go through the rings-"

Without him there Moiraine would have died at some point, apparently. If she died, then Rand would have been killed or taken by Lanfear.

Where specifically he saves her live I don't know. I don't think it was when she came back from Rhuidean. It could have been any of the numerous raids from shadowspawn and darkfriends.

could be because moraine had to come and they always go places together. Plus during the waste times Lan and Rhuarc really stepped up rands training in fighting arts

Also could be because he helped create tactics against couladin

Not to mention Lan is Moiraine's warder. There were some attacks in the waste, Lan would be there to protect her. If he did not come, she could have been killed by a Trolloc or Myrddraal or Drakghar.

could be because moraine had to come and they always go places together. Plus during the waste times Lan and Rhuarc really stepped up rands training in fighting arts

Not to mention Lan is Moiraine's warder. There were some attacks in the waste, Lan would be there to protect her. If he did not come, she could have been killed by a Trolloc or Myrddraal or Drakghar.

All true but the Aiel didn't even know that Lan was Moiraine's warder. It's also rare for RJ to have written in a detail like prophesy without a specific onscreen incident.

All true but the Aiel didn't even know that Lan was Moiraine's warder. It's also rare for RJ to have written in a detail like prophesy without a specific onscreen incident.

It doesnt matter that the Aiel didnt know. It was a "Dream". They dont have to know the personal details to have a prophectic dream about them.

does the pattern = the Ozone layer, I was jsut thinking and since the pattern is thinnest in the northern circle and the ozone layer is also the thinnest/missing over the arctic circle

...huh?

TSR - Any idea why the Aiel dreamwalkers dreamt that Lan's presence in the Waste was vital?

You're right, I can't think of anything specific he did there apart from his usual protective role. Likely this passage was just to give us an idea what kind of things dreamwalkers could do.

So I was browsing through the WoT wiki and randomly clicked the name of an Asha'man, a Donalo Sandomere. This guy went completely under my radar, but it is apparently mentioned Rand thinks he looks familiar and that Toveine doubts Donalo is his real name. Is there any idea among the WoT community who this guy really is?

"Donalo Sandomere, if that was his real name, with his creased farmer’s face and

sharply trimmed oiled beard, attempting the languid stance he thought a nobleman would assume."

"“Last night,” Sandomere said after a moment, “I learned that Mishraile is having private lessons from

the M’Hael.” He stroked his pointed beard with satisfaction, as if he had produced a gem of great price."

"“It’s the others I cannot understand,” Sandomere put in. “I was at Dumai’s Wells. I saw the Lord

Dragon choose, after. Dashiva had his head in the clouds, like always. But Flinn, Hopwil, Narishma? You

never saw men more pleased. They were like lambs let loose in the barley shed.”"

This is more of a curiosity thing but is there a list somewhere of the known strongest channelers at the moment? I know the Forsaken are going to rank near the top as well as Nynaeve, Alivia, Egwene, Avi, Elayne,Logain, Taim, Rand, etc. but I wanted to know if someone had made a loosely based list based on the information from the books. I'm sure it is nothing definitive since there's no number system but I was curious to see if anyone did some work to see a rough chart on who the strongest channelers are.

Anyone know? ;3

Hi,

I am not sure whether this is mentioned or not, sorry if so.

Just started reading New Spring. In it, Moiraine mentions a tingle when Siuan channels. Is it seen else where? Like Eqwene and Elayne (for Moiraine says it is unusual)?. Also, does it have any significance or was it included just to show how close these two were?

Regards

Aparna

Hi,

I am not sure whether this is mentioned or not, sorry if so.

Just started reading New Spring. In it, Moiraine mentions a tingle when Siuan channels. Is it seen else where? Like Eqwene and Elayne (for Moiraine says it is unusual)?. Also, does it have any significance or was it included just to show how close these two were?

Regards

Aparna

afaik there has been no other mention of this phenomenon, and (until now) it had no significance.

there are people out there who say that cyndane is a soul blend of lanfear and moirain and suan will lern this when cyndane is channeling near her, at that moment mat will come there and have some vital information brought back form the ToG how to split them up again !

(yes im not jokeing, ;p)

Edited by Sartyva

This is more of a curiosity thing but is there a list somewhere of the known strongest channelers at the moment? I know the Forsaken are going to rank near the top as well as Nynaeve, Alivia, Egwene, Avi, Elayne,Logain, Taim, Rand, etc. but I wanted to know if someone had made a loosely based list based on the information from the books. I'm sure it is nothing definitive since there's no number system but I was curious to see if anyone did some work to see a rough chart on who the strongest channelers are.

Anyone know? ;3

Check out 13depository.blogspot.com. There's a comparison for women (at least, not sure if the men are compared) divided into 20 odd levels!

It's in there somewhere. Somewhere.

My question is : What happened to Demiandre's TP channeling plants? :biggrin: