DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Is that speculation or is it actually mentioned somewhere in the series?  I simply don't recall ever reading that. 

As stated previously we know that Seanchen prophecy calls for the Dragon to kneal to the Empress. We know from the BWB that Ishy corrupted the Seanchen Prophecies. so it seems pretty clear that it was Ishy who placed that into the Seanchen Propheciies.

Sorry to dredge up an old question / answer.... but isn't it possible that after his transformation in Veins of Gold that Rand will see the need to bow?

Sorry to dredge up an old question / answer.... but isn't it possible that after his transformation in Veins of Gold that Rand will see the need to bow?

Yes, I think seeing how the Seanchan run the place will have changed his mind about that.

Can we assume / has it been assumed that the picture shows that it's Noal that accompanies Matt & Thom?

Secondly.... skimming through TGS, and at one point, Verin's Tomas is described as stout. I thought he was skinny and tough, like an old root.

The Ghenjei party was organised in TGS.

Tomas' description could be an error on Brandon's part, there are quite a few of those.

When Lews Therin and the 100 companions laid the original seals on the DO's prison at Shayol Gaul it has been said that the counterstroke tainted the Saidin and immediately caused those 100 companions to go instantly insane.

The black lines coming out of the forsaken are there to remove the taint so that they don't go mad.

As the forsaken were at the mountain and got sealed away with the DO, shouldn't they have gone instantly mad as well (the male forsaken). I can't really see the DO thinking "Right, counterstrike time, but first I'll attach some black lines to these few of my dreadlords that are knocking around in a meeting with me just so they don't go instantly insane".

Thoughts?

When Lews Therin and the 100 companions laid the original seals on the DO's prison at Shayol Gaul it has been said that the counterstroke tainted the Saidin and immediately caused those 100 companions to go instantly insane.

The black lines coming out of the forsaken are there to remove the taint so that they don't go mad.

As the forsaken were at the mountain and got sealed away with the DO, shouldn't they have gone instantly mad as well (the male forsaken). I can't really see the DO thinking "Right, counterstrike time, but first I'll attach some black lines to these few of my dreadlords that are knocking around in a meeting with me just so they don't go instantly insane".

Thoughts?

1. The 100 companions were actually doing the Sealing, not the Forsaken.

2. The Black lines arent really "black lines" as such, its only something that Rand associated with the protection. (hard to explain, but there arent really black chords attached.) It is more a connection to the DO.

3. The Forsaken were sealed wiith the DO, so at the moment that saidin was tainted, they were on the "opposite side of the bore" sealed away so to speak, in a dreamless sleep. Easiest way ot explain is the sealing was like closing a door. LTT and his 113 compainions closed the door, but the DO threw out a grenade (the taint) just before it closes, making the compainions go insane. The forsaken are on the DO's side of the door, so the grenade doesnt affect them.

4. Even if they were insane, the DO can heal insanity (EotW Prologue) and it is his taint, he can do what he wants with it really.

5. Of course, none of the above is certain, as we do not actually have a definitive quote saying yay or nay, but yeah.

Where are the seemingly infinite hordes of trollocs coming from? there seems to be way too many of them around.

Well the blight isn't a small place, I imagine it can produce quite a lot. Also there's a theory that the Dark One is using other worlds as breeding grounds. Imagine taking a group of breeder trollocs to a mirror world via portal stone and leaving them there to mate for a few months. How many worlds would you have to seed before you had a virtually endless supply?

Edited by DovienGleeman

There are some things you can't question. Like how come there are so many trollocs, or how come the Aiel warriors all know each other, or how come there's so much gold, or how come towns and cities are so big without suffering from tuberculosis or other epidemics, or who cleans the horse dung in Caemlyn, so on and so forth.

There are some things you can't question. Like how come there are so many trollocs, or how come the Aiel warriors all know each other, or how come there's so much gold, or how come towns and cities are so big without suffering from tuberculosis or other epidemics, or who cleans the horse dung in Caemlyn, so on and so forth.

I think there's been at least one, probably several threads on the logistics of the blight, gazillions of trollocs, etc.

New Foresaken?OK we know that during the War Of Power there were more Chosen. 29 I believe? But only the 13 most powerful were caught in the Bore. While clearly the Dark One has been claiming new Dreadlords (i.e. the Dark Ajah and the equal in the Black Tower. The diference between a Dreadlord and the Chosen is that he "marks" him and all the shadowshorn have to do what ever the Chosen states. We get our first hint that DO is still adding new chosen when Alviarin is marked by Shaidar Haran who most people agree is an Avatar for the DO. It should be noted that as the leader of the Dark Ajah she is an obvious person to be raised. Though she does not seem to realize what the Mark means herself. If she is indeed "marked by the DO" it is quite possible that Taim in the Black Tower (assumed to be a darkfriend. Might also be Marked and a new Chosen. The Dark One does like to keep a high level of competition and with Rand Balefiring the old. Time to bring in the new. Thoughts?

Double Warder? We all know that weaves made using both Saidar and Saidin are most powerful. And both woman and men channelers have similar but differenent weaves for making warders. I have always assumed that it would mess with a channeler if he or she was using the same sex power. But would a Warden who was not a channeler such as Lan was bonded by both male and female channelers. Whould he be a super warder?

quick question from EoTW

Trembling, Rand knew he was going to die. Midnight steel flashed at his head . . . and stropped.

"you belong to the Great Lord of the Dark." The breathy grating of that voice sounded like fingernails scratched across a slate. "You are his."

now did the fade stop because of Ishies orders and wanting to convert/capture him. Or because of some other reason

New Foresaken?OK we know that during the War Of Power there were more Chosen. 29 I believe? But only the 13 most powerful were caught in the Bore. While clearly the Dark One has been claiming new Dreadlords (i.e. the Dark Ajah and the equal in the Black Tower. The diference between a Dreadlord and the Chosen is that he "marks" him and all the shadowshorn have to do what ever the Chosen states. We get our first hint that DO is still adding new chosen when Alviarin is marked by Shaidar Haran who most people agree is an Avatar for the DO. It should be noted that as the leader of the Dark Ajah she is an obvious person to be raised. Though she does not seem to realize what the Mark means herself. If she is indeed "marked by the DO" it is quite possible that Taim in the Black Tower (assumed to be a darkfriend. Might also be Marked and a new Chosen. The Dark One does like to keep a high level of competition and with Rand Balefiring the old. Time to bring in the new. Thoughts?

I doubt it. The Forsaken would know if another were raised to their status. Unless the DO has done it in secret for some reason, its unlikely.

The mark Alviarin recieved from Shaidar was NOT the same as the Chosen mark. It was more like a brand. It marks her as a DF so shadowspawn know. THe Chosen mark allows them to give orders to shadowspawn. Two different things.

quick question from EoTW

Trembling, Rand knew he was going to die. Midnight steel flashed at his head . . . and stropped.

"you belong to the Great Lord of the Dark." The breathy grating of that voice sounded like fingernails scratched across a slate. "You are his."

now did the fade stop because of Ishies orders and wanting to convert/capture him. Or because of some other reason

I am pretty sure it is one of these two.

1. It is most likely Ishmael's orders. At the time he was the only forsaken free. Only the Forsaken or the DO himself could have such control over a fade, I doubt it was acting on its own. Add that to the fact that Ishmael spends most of the 1st and 2nd book trying to turn Rand rather than kill him, it seems certain.

2. It sensed Moiraine. IIRC, only moments later Lan rushes down the stairs. The fade could have sensed Moraine's presence (channeling) and thought better of it and bailed. (however, its unlikely the Myrddraal would run like that if it had orders to kill.)

Also there's a theory that the Dark One is using other worlds as breeding grounds. Imagine taking a group of breeder trollocs to a mirror world via portal stone and leaving them there to mate for a few months. How many worlds would you have to seed before you had a virtually endless supply?
If trollocs (and other constructs) are able to be sent to those worlds, there are at least these risks::

-Them killing each other in a relatively short time (if no one else lives there).

-Them being killed by the world's inhabitants.

-Someone forgetting to bring them back. (They would need a channeler during both going & returning.)

-Able (and willing) people being killed before they could be brought back.

-They going elsewhere in the world and the sent person not able to find them.

I am re-reading CoT and I can't remember - do we know why Aran'gar killed the the two Blues in the rebel camp?

Also, in KoD when we see the forsaken meeting with Moridin and he shows images of Mat and Perrin, I was surprised...weren't images of all three boys shown to a meeting of darkfriends in an early book? Would this really be the first time the forsaken are shown Mat and Perrin and instructed to kill them??

If trollocs (and other constructs) are able to be sent to those worlds, there are at least these risks:[...]

That's good. Risks like those form a limit on the number of Trollocs that can reasonably be produced.

But would a Warden who was not a channeler such as Lan was bonded by both male and female channelers. Whould he be a super warder?

No he wouldn't. Warders derive their extra abilities from a passive link to the power through their bond-holder. Once you are connected, being connected again has no further effect.

I am re-reading CoT and I can't remember - do we know why Aran'gar killed the the two Blues in the rebel camp?

Cabrianna Mercendes (If I spelt that correctly) and her warder were tortured and killed by Semirhage earlier in the series. Halima arrived in Salidar claiming to be sent by Cabrianna, and that she died in a fall from her horse (or something like that). The two blues in the camp, Kairen and Anaiya (I think) were Cabrianna's best friends from Novice right through to Aes Sedai. So guessing they were killed by Halima in case Cabriannas death was questioned too closely, or was already being questioned by the two.

Apologies about spelling, not read those books for a few months and dont have them near me to reference chapters etc

Cabrianna Mercendes (If I spelt that correctly) and her warder were tortured and killed by Semirhage earlier in the series. Halima arrived in Salidar claiming to be sent by Cabrianna, and that she died in a fall from her horse (or something like that). The two blues in the camp, Kairen and Anaiya (I think) were Cabrianna's best friends from Novice right through to Aes Sedai. So guessing they were killed by Halima in case Cabriannas death was questioned too closely, or was already being questioned by the two.

Apologies about spelling, not read those books for a few months and dont have them near me to reference chapters etc

That's the most likely possibility (I believe Egwene thinks to herself that the only strong connection between Anaiya and Kairen was Cabriana).

However, one amendment I'd make is that Halima was not just worried about the circumstances of Cabriana's death being questioned. She was worried that she'd be suspected of never having known Cabriana in the first place.

That's the most likely possibility (I believe Egwene thinks to herself that the only strong connection between Anaiya and Kairen was Cabriana).

However, one amendment I'd make is that Halima was not just worried about the circumstances of Cabriana's death being questioned. She was worried that she'd be suspected of never having known Cabriana in the first place.

Romanda works it out exactly that way - thereby proving that she's actually a smarter cookie than most.

quick question from EoTW

I am pretty sure it is one of these two.

1. It is most likely Ishmael's orders. At the time he was the only forsaken free. Only the Forsaken or the DO himself could have such control over a fade, I doubt it was acting on its own. Add that to the fact that Ishmael spends most of the 1st and 2nd book trying to turn Rand rather than kill him, it seems certain.

2. It sensed Moiraine. IIRC, only moments later Lan rushes down the stairs. The fade could have sensed Moraine's presence (channeling) and thought better of it and bailed. (however, its unlikely the Myrddraal would run like that if it had orders to kill.)

I took it to mean that the Myrddraal wanted to off the three all at once, but now that you mention it, it looks suspicious. I think I'll blame it on Ta'veren.

Romanda works it out exactly that way - thereby proving that she's actually a smarter cookie than most.

Thanks - that clears it up for me!!

Any thoughts on the second question in my post regarding the 'darkfriend social' and why its not until the KoD that the forsaken get to see what the darkfriends know way back when?