DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

Repeating last question.

Gathering Storm Chapter 21, was that the second time Hopper "kicked" Perrin out of Telaranrhiod (first time being Dragon Reborn Chapter 43)?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Yes, Hopper did it before. Yes, he did it again here. Are you asking whether this is the first time since TDR? I seem to recall something in TSR, but I might be mistaken.

Yes, was asking if this was the first since Dragon Reborn.

Just wondering, where in Shadow Rising were you thinking?

Hi guys ^_^

Long time reader, first time poster and all the jazz.

Question for if anyone knows though!

TGS, Chapter 1, Rand has a sword he's thinking about to himself. Does anyone know which Sword it is? (It may just be me, but it seems as if he's just gotten it, but its....wierd. Almost like its an Angreal or something but he's seen it initially himself. And I don't think its mentioned again? (Re-reading TGS now!)

The quote is below if anyone needs it. Hoping you can help :P

He relaxed his hand on his sword, though he did not release it. He fingered the cloth-tied hilt. The weapon was long, slightly curved, and the lacquered scabbard was painted with a long, sinuous dragon of red and gold. It looked as if it had been designed specifically for Rand— and yet it was centuries old, unearthed only recently. How odd, that they should find this now, he thought, and make a gift of it to me, completely unaware of what they were holding. . . .

He had taken to wearing the sword immediately. It felt right beneath his fingers. He had told no one, not even Min, that he had recognized the weapon. And not, oddly, from Lews Therin's memories—but Rand's own.

Edited by Gythwyn

Hi guys ^_^

TGS, Chapter 1, Rand has a sword he's thinking about to himself. Does anyone know which Sword it is? (It may just be me, but it seems as if he's just gotten it, but its....wierd. Almost like its an Angreal or something but he's seen it initially himself. And I don't think its mentioned again? (Re-reading TGS now!)

He relaxed his hand on his sword, though he did not release it. He fingered the cloth-tied hilt. The weapon was long, slightly curved, and the lacquered scabbard was painted with a long, sinuous dragon of red and gold. It looked as if it had been designed specifically for Rand— and yet it was centuries old, unearthed only recently. How odd, that they should find this now, he thought, and make a gift of it to me, completely unaware of what they were holding. . . .

He had taken to wearing the sword immediately. It felt right beneath his fingers. He had told no one, not even Min, that he had recognized the weapon. And not, oddly, from Lews Therin's memories—but Rand's own.

The sword seems to be Hawkwing's sword Justice. I believe Brandon confirmed this if someone else could provide the quote.

Hi guys ^_^

Confirmed by Brandon that it's Hawkwing's sword "Justice" (He saw it at Falme). Not known if it's important yet plot-wise. It's mentioned again in TGS from Min's PoV - Rand told her it's power wrought.

Hi guys ^_^

hey, glad you joined up finally :) Hope you enjoy the adventure that is Dragonmount.

To the question, it has been confirmed that the sword Rand has is Justice. Artur Hawkwing's sword.

Edited by Barid Bel Medar

Speaking of Rand's swords, I forget: what the hell happened to the one he was using before?

The one that Avi gave him. Not sure, I think he lost it when he was stumbling round at the battle of Cairhien. But I dont really know,cant really remember.

Nah, he's used it since. He fought Toram with it in aCoS, took it to Far Madding, and was wearing it when Semi de-handed him as well (the hilt jabbed into his ribs after he fell to the ground). Then all of sudden, he's carrying Justice, which some people apparently just gave to him for some reason.

It's possible that another reason he ditched Avi's sword was all in the attempt to harden himself.

He just prefers wearing Hawkwing's sword.

He still has Laman's as well.

In technical terms, it could be as simple as Justice may be a bastard sword (can be used with a single hand or both hands) versus Laman's being a two-hander but his thoughts make it appear that there's more to it.

Could be hilarious if the Heroes arrive at TG and Hawkwing gets all het up "Oi Lews Therin!What you doing with that? Give it back then. It's mine!"

It's possible that another reason he ditched Avi's sword was all in the attempt to harden himself.

In technical terms, it could be as simple as Justice may be a bastard sword (can be used with a single hand or both hands) versus Laman's being a two-hander but his thoughts make it appear that there's more to it.

Could be hilarious if the Heroes arrive at TG and Hawkwing gets all het up "Oi Lews Therin!What you doing with that? Give it back then. It's mine!"

Alright, I forgot about this: he wears it because it "feels right", and there's obviously some odd "Wheel weaves" thingy going on. So, OK. I'm cool with that. The other stuff still bugs me though:

When did he get it exactly? Don't know. Sometime after dropping off the Seanchan chicks by Ebou Dar. Where did he get it? From some scholars. Who were they? Scholars, dude. Well, why did they do that? No clue. Ta'veren thing maybe. Where'd they find it? In some lake somewhere or other (admittedly, a cool detail, but still). What happened to Laman's blade? *shrug*

Oh, and also, it's not a bastard sword: "The weapon was long, slightly curved..." Ituralde doesn't bat an eye when he sees it or mentally qualify it as being like one of the Shienaran or Saldaean curvy things or whatever. Sound like another katana-in-all-but-name to me.

This also kinda bugs me, as tGH said "his great sword Justice", which implied it was not a standard-shaped sword, though to be fair, I suppose it could have just meant it was a really awesome sword. I'd say it could be basically an ōdachi, which would make sense given that the name means "great sword", but those are too long to wear at the waist. Then again, Rand is pretty tall and might be able to swing it, though that seems dubious. Or maybe it's a tachi. Oh, who knows. I need answers, damn it!

Alright, I forgot about this: he wears it because it "feels right", and there's obviously some odd "Wheel weaves" thingy going on. So, OK. I'm cool with that. The other stuff still bugs me though:

When did he get it exactly? Don't know. Sometime after dropping off the Seanchan chicks by Ebou Dar. Where did he get it? From some scholars. Who were they? Scholars, dude. Well, why did they do that? No clue. Ta'veren thing maybe. Where'd they find it? In some lake somewhere or other (admittedly, a cool detail, but still). What happened to Laman's blade? *shrug*

Oh, and also, it's not a bastard sword: "The weapon was long, slightly curved..." Ituralde doesn't bat an eye when he sees it or mentally qualify it as being like one of the Shienaran or Saldaean curvy things or whatever. Sound like another katana-in-all-but-name to me.

This also kinda bugs me, as tGH said "his great sword Justice", which implied it was not a standard-shaped sword, though to be fair, I suppose it could have just meant it was a really awesome sword. I'd say it could be basically an ōdachi, which would make sense given that the name means "great sword", but those are too long to wear at the waist. Then again, Rand is pretty tall and might be able to swing it, though that seems dubious. Or maybe it's a tachi. Oh, who knows. I need answers, damn it!

Hawkwing wields it from horseback don't forget. So it can almost certainly, be comfortably used one-handed, especially since Rand almost pulls it a couple of times in TGS. In KoD, he also remarks to Bashere that he's going to learn the forms again.

Could be a 1.5 handed katana, in fact I'd guess that's what it is.

According to the prophecy, Rand will be marked twice to live, and twice to die.  Since getting his hand cut off removed one of the marks, can this indicate that Rand is no longer marked to die?

No - the marking is what matters, not the marks themselves.

unless there is a specific quote reaffirming this, I don't think you can just claim it as fact. I happen to agree with you (too many other predictions of Rand's death) but it is still a good bit of speculation.

According to the prophecy, Rand will be marked twice to live, and twice to die. Since getting his hand cut off removed one of the marks, can this indicate that Rand is no longer marked to die?

No - the marking is what matters, not the marks themselves.

unless there is a specific quote reaffirming this, I don't think you can just claim it as fact. I happen to agree with you (too many other predictions of Rand's death) but it is still a good bit of speculation.

A quote? Yeah: "Twice and twice shall he be marked." Past tense. Twice and twice he was marked, with the marks the prophecy required. The stuff the herons were for already happened anyway: set his path and named him true. The end. Heron no longer required.

A quote? Yeah: "Twice and twice shall he be marked." Past tense. Twice and twice he was marked, with the marks the prophecy required. The stuff the herons were for already happened anyway: set his path and named him true. The end. Heron no longer required.

I'm no linguist, and what little I do know is that native speakers determine what's right and wrong themselves, but couldn't the word "marked" also function as an adjective? Doesn't it here?

This is what wiki has to say on the matter:

Many languages have special verbal forms called participles can act as noun modifiers. In some languages, including English, there is a strong tendency for participles to evolve into adjectives.

I'm no linguist, and what little I do know is that native speakers determine what's right and wrong themselves, but couldn't the word "marked" also function as an adjective? Doesn't it here?

This is what wiki has to say on the matter:

Many languages have special verbal forms called participles can act as noun modifiers. In some languages, including English, there is a strong tendency for participles to evolve into adjectives.

Yeah, actually...you're right. Mostly. It's not an adjective here, but it is a participle. An adjectival form would be something like "Marked One". Obviously, I wasn't really paying attention. Still: the heron stuff is done, and that's the most significant bit. His path was set at the Eye, and he was named true at Falme. That hand was prophetically useless for almost eight books.

Edited by didymos

Hey guys, cheers for that.

I had not even thought that could be Justice.......

As its not mentioned again....I reckon thats gonna be significant, specifically in relation to the Seanchan. The great Hawkwings sword in The Dragons possession?

Tell me thats not gonna happen! :P

Repeating last post (in case it was missed first time); currently unable to do private messaging.

Repeating last question.

Gathering Storm Chapter 21, was that the second time Hopper "kicked" Perrin out of Telaranrhiod (first time being Dragon Reborn Chapter 43)?

I'm not sure what you're asking. Yes, Hopper did it before. Yes, he did it again here. Are you asking whether this is the first time since TDR? I seem to recall something in TSR, but I might be mistaken.

Yes, was asking if this was the first since Dragon Reborn.

Just wondering, where in Shadow Rising were you thinking?

Did Rand channel in Whitebridge when the fade came at Thom them, and is that the cause of the blue flashes?

I am currently readin EotW, and being very thorough about it due to spotting when Rand learns about the Black Ajah (will return to that another time). I have just finished the Whitebridge episode, and thought of the mystery of the blue flashes.

The following leaped out at me combined with knowing that next time we see Rand (it goes to Perrin for the next chapter) he is having a fever and other bad symptoms.;

The black cowl froze Rand where he stood. He tried to summon up the void, but it was like fumbling after smoke. The Fade's hidden gaze knifed to his bones and turned his marrow to icicles. [...]Rand tore his eyes away - he almost groaned; it felt like tearing a leech off of his face - but even staring at the stones he could still see the Myrddraal coming, [...]

Thom then pushes Rand who is still fixated on the Myrddraal, Thom crashes into the fade "before theblack blade was half drawn, and both went down in a thrashing heap"

Thom yells for them to run and then "the air in the square flashed an eye-searing blue".

From the description the Myrddraal has not gotten its sword out, Rand is fixated on the tableu, and the preceeding pages description of the feeling in his bones parallels the descriptions of Saidin several other places. Rand was reaching for the void and in a state of fear for his life (like the previous - and later - times he channels.