DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ask A Simple Question, Get a Simple Answer (No AMoL Spoilers)

Luckers

who knew how far over the edge he was. and Mask of Mirrors works better if it is closer fitting to the truth, so it is easier for a man. Although possible for a woman it takes alot more weaves for her.

Also in book 3 Masema and the other shienarians are sent away from rand for a time, and masema gets contacted by the 'dragon' in what book

True - which makes me wonder which Chosen had the skills to do a Two Rivers Accent. Doubt the Mask of Mirrors will do an accent for you.

Masema was with Rand for long periods from EotW till early TDR.

Hated him for most of that period and swore fealty to him after Falme.

They haven't met since.

True - which makes me wonder which Chosen had the skills to do a Two Rivers Accent. Doubt the Mask of Mirrors will do an accent for you.

They haven't met since.

Given the most unreasonable speed with which they've learned Common, talking about them immitating accents is a bit unrealisitc imho.

They haven't met since.

Given the most unreasonable speed with which they've learned Common, talking about them immitating accents is a bit unrealisitc imho.

Presumably, the DO taught the Forsaken Common while they were trapped in Shayol Ghul all those years.

They haven't met since.

Presumably, the DO taught the Forsaken Common while they were trapped in Shayol Ghul all those years.

Ummm, didnt Lan'fear tell Rand she was trapped deep in the bore, in a deep dreamless sleep, where time did not touch her?

They haven't met since.

RJ explained this.  Common is a form derived from the Old Tongue, much like modern Italian is derived from Latin.  A Latin speaker popping up in modern Rome would be able to puzzle a good bit of what's being said.

The difference is that the OT is actually more sophisticated than Common, so it would have been even easier for the Forsaken to get the language sorted out.  Plus, they're all generally extremely clever, so they pick up most things quickly.

Question :

If I got my chronology right, both the Red's embassy to the BT AND Egwene's (with Falion & all) arrived at the BT long after Logain & his pals left (and ended up at Algarin's mannor).

What makes everybody think they are still alive or free ? The BT beeing now a nest of DFs / future dreadlords / whatever. Aren't those sister more probably dead / converted with the 13/13 thing ?

According to the Steven Cooper chronology, Logain arrives at Algiarin's manor on April 6, 1000,

The salidar-ites receive the offer to bond Ashaman on April 7.

On April 30, Pevara and Co. arrive. The Salidar party are already there (Taim ko's an Ashaman who nearly lets that info drop).

People in both Towers (now reunited) are worried about their respective embassies because there's no news for at least a month.

(TGS ends in early June).

However, Myrelle who leads the Salidar group has at least one warder who isn't with her (Lan). Since he hasn't gone mad or killed himself, there's some reason to assume that the Salidar group is still (relatively) unharmed.

Other Salidar sisters may also have warders.

Presumably this will be resolved and explained in the Towers of Midnight.

However, Myrelle who leads the Salidar group has at least one warder who isn't with her (Lan). Since he hasn't gone mad or killed himself, there's some reason to assume that the Salidar group is still (relatively) unharmed.

We have no info on Lan that could steer us either way so Lan beeing bonded to Myrelle doesn't mean anything. An other sister's warders are probably with them.

So ok, we don't know. That's as good an answer as any. THanks for your quick answer.

We have no info on Lan that could steer us either way so Lan beeing bonded to Myrelle doesn't mean anything. An other sister's warders are probably with them.

So ok, we don't know. That's as good an answer as any. THanks for your quick answer.

We do have some negative information on Lan, I think. Nynaeve is likely to be quietly watching his move towards Tarwin's Gap without letting him know - she does discuss his ETA with Rand.

We do have some negative information on Lan, I think. Nynaeve is likely to be quietly watching his move towards Tarwin's Gap without letting him know - she does discuss his ETA with Rand.

I thought the ETA was based on estimating his travel time from where she left him off.  I didn't see an indication that she was tracking him in any way.

I could be wrong but isn't there a remark by Nyn to Rand to the effect that "I've made sure he has an army"?

I always took that to mean she's keeping track of the effect of her pigeon-sending and rabble-rousing efforts.

I could be wrong since I don't recall the exact phrase.

IIRC, Nyn says it'll take two-three months, maybe more for Lan to reach TG, since she has ensured he has an army.

My (superficial) analysis was, she knows he's got quite a large force with him, which means he will be unpredictably slowed down. Else if it's just Mandarb galloping from World's End to Tarwin's Gap, she knows pretty much how long Lan would take.  The only way she could know he has serious numbers with him is, if she's keeping track.

she ensured that he has an army by finding former malkieri and telling them the golden crane flys again, towards the gap. and she did this across the borderlands, and by word of mouth and people wanting to be part of the legend people will/have flocked to lans flag

she ensured that he has an army by finding former malkieri and telling them the golden crane flys again, towards the gap. and she did this across the borderlands, and by word of mouth and people wanting to be part of the legend people will/have flocked to lans flag

And what I think we can take from tGS's prologue is that he's going to end up with a surprisingly large army.  I can't remember off-hand exactly where those farmers were-Saldea?-but I think plenty of common people are going to end up following Lan's Malkier army as they march toward the Gap.  Nynaeve hasn't mentioned this, so I don't think she's checked on it yet, but I'm pretty sure most of the people dropping everything to march north end up attached to the Golden Crane.

When Rand learns about this, he might alter his plans a little.  Certainly, Lan is going to be forced come up with some more creative than "charge straight in screaming," now that he's got such a huge army at his back, and he's clever enough to create a strong battle-plan.

Yes - but how would she know it had worked?

Since she apparently does know, I assumed she was keeping tabs on Lan and the crowd with him. It would be easy for her.

I think Nynaeve figured out one of her ornaments was a GPS ter'angreal that she insterted into Lan's luggage. She watches his progress on one of the Ipad's everyone was drawing in Brandon's contest.

You know, she really wouldn't need ter'angreals for that. Just a coin, on which to lay a Tracker.

BTW an army of that magnitude would probably attract some AS. If it has already, she might have more trouble Traveling there to check how he's doing (still possible, though).

Regarding the comment about Lan's army of Malkieri attracting Aes Sedai. . . I've always had a question about the whereabouts of any remaining Malkieri sisters.

I figure if there are a little less than 1000 total living Aes Sedai, and if the national origins of all the sisters are fairly evenly spread across the approximately 20 nations/regions in Randland, that would mean that there could have been nearly 50 Malkieri Aes Sedai living before Malkier fell.

I vaguely remember a comment made by someone in the books (I'm thinking Siuan for some reason) that many of those sisters got themselves killed while engaging in various schemes to fight back at the blight, and over the last 45 years I'm sure that a few probably died of natural causes as well.

But, even if 3/4 of all the existing Malkieri Aes Sedai have died off over the years, that would still mean that there could be between 10 and 15 of them left.  As we know from New Spring and Nyneave's attempts to rally the Malkieri to follow Lan, most of the remaining Malkieri appear to have settled down all across the borderlands; this would most likely also be true for the remaining sisters.  They would all likely have the opportunity to cross paths with Lan and his army and would probably be up for joining the cause.

I totally think that the next time we see Lan, he is not only going to be surrounded by a huge army, but he will also be surrounded by a whole gaggle of old, grey-haired, stern-faced, Malkieri Aes Sedai who are totally ready to kick ass and take names. 

I thought I read somewhere that there were Malkieri Aes Sedai in the Tower, just not that many.  I remember reading that I'll just have to find it.

Yes, he said there were Malkieri Aes Sedai. They hadn't been in the forefront. They are probably not among the strongest and most influential. I think one of them has been mentioned in the series... I could be mistaken(?).

question:  Who wrote the Prophecies of the Dragon?  Were they given as a Foretelling by an Aes Sedai?  Or have they just sort of always been around?

My guess is that more than one foreteller contributed. RJ said the whole thing would be 300 or 400 pages, but that he hadn't written more of it than he needed to use.

From Encyclopaedia WoT:

Karaethon Cycle, also known as the Prophecies of the Dragon, has existed since the Breaking.

Tor Website Q&A - The Prophecies were the collected Foretellings that occurred before, during and after the War of Power.