DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What hooked you?

redarm

- none bigger than the Battle of Emond's Field.

Yep.  That was great.  I also liked the scene with Rand trying to bring the girl back to life in TDR, and the scenes of Rand seeing the history of the Aiel. Mat sparring with the the G boys at the White Tower, and so many more.  All made me want to keep going and reaffirmed my love for the WOT.

• 2 weeks later...

All the questions and details! There is so much intricacy in the series, you never know what exactly will happen, I just have to keep reading.

Also, early-Perrin is my favorite character, I love the wolf connection. (The biggest disappointment for me of WoT is the near abandonment of that story line.) So Perrin helped get me hooked.

When I started reading I was quite young, and it took me quite a ways before I figured out exactly what was meant by an Aes Sedai, although I had found the first book quite intriguing and kept going with it. However, what initially got me really interested the first read through was in Eye of the World when Rand meets Loial and Mat becomes so melancholic in Andor, from that point on I was hooked.

I never had any friends who were big readers though, and none who read this until early this year, I found out one friend of mine was as into this as I am, and another friend of ours is on his first read through the series, so once he finishes, we have lots to talk about!

What hooks me now is re-reading. Different characters interest me more (especially Mat) as I re-read, and others less. There's so much to WoT that even after its conclusion, I think there will be more to find out.

I was hooked from the prologue to be honest. If there was one moment when I though "This is some heavy crap" (;)) it was the meeting with Loial in The Queens Blessing in Caemlyn. All of the party is reunited and Moiraine line "if I didn't know better if say the Creator was giving us a helping hand" (something like that) absolutely caught me.

Amazing stuff.

My story is something of a very weird sort. I've been introduced to the WOT not from Eye of the World but instead the Shadow Rising...in Russian...and only first 1/3 of the book (the book was released in three volumes because of the size. Btw, still have the book). Ironically I got and read the book in Minnesota (I know, I know, don't ask. This was before I could speak or read in English). Anyway, it was hard to follow the plot line but once I finished first part of the book I simply had to read more of it. I had to order the other two parts of Shadow Rising from overseas so i can read it in the language I understood (that's right, I've ordered American author in another language while being in the US and had to wait for the book to be delivered from Russia). Anyway, long story short, I've been a full pledge addict (according to my wife) for almost a decade now. And I'm loving every "letter" of it! :)

I actually skipped the prologue because most are boring.  I am entertained easily, so right off i enjoyed the book, but what hooked me was Perrin finding his wolfbrother ability and I love Thom!  but mainly Perrin being a wolfbrother.  I just think thats cool, and it told me that this could get interesting.  So far it has been

I liked the feel of the story (reminded me of Lord of the Rings).  But what I liked the most and kept me coming back for more was the sheer incompetence of the main characters.  They were teenagers that had never left home, country bumpkins that thought Aes Sedai were goddesses in a far off land and Fades were make believe.  Rand's terror at finding out Trollocs were real (and in his house!) and his belief that his daddy would save him. Then the courage it took to save Tam instead.  It was awesome watching these kids freak out and then watching them grow up to be heroes.  After reading so many stories where the main character was unbeatable on page one, this was a breath of fresh air.

I got the first couple of books for Christmas when I was 14. At the time I was sort of obsessed with the Harry Potter books and couldn't imagine that there was anything out there that could be as exciting and fun to read. I didn't start reading the books until February, I think, when I brought the first book with me when we went on a Ski trip. I finished most of it in the car on the way there, and I was hooked right away, mostly because of Moiraine and how cool the Aes Sedai seemed, and everything they could do, and it all seemed so mystical and strange and exciting. It was simply awesome, and I had to wait for a whole week until the vacation was over to continue reading, since I didn't bring the second book.

After that I read through the rest of the series (Winter's Heart was the most recent book) in about a month. What fascinated me the most was, and still is, the world with its history, the different groups of people (the Aes Sedai in particular), the One Power ...

The only fantasy I had read before WoT was LotR and Harry Potter, so that kind of high fantasy was completely new to me. That feeling of reading something that new and that fascinating for the first time is a very fond memory.

Well hi folks long time no see where have u been all of u been any ways happy belated Christmas and happy new year this is a thread i have been wanting to start this thread forever but somehow i could never get around to doing it but interesting thing is i didn't start with bk 1 as most of you did but rather i started with bk3 tdr actually here in Pakistan we don't get international bk releases like most of you guys n gals so i started with 3 n continued on to 4 5 &6 let me explain i was never a fantasy fan i was more in to sf and thrillers only fantasy i had read before wot was lotr and i loved it i had a friend who was really into fantasy thing he practically begged me to read this series so he can discuss these bks with some one i also didn't want to do it because we were starting from book 3 so on his insistence i started reading i finished tdr in 2 days tsr in 1 tfoh & loc  together in one day i was hooked i guess every one can see that i was hooked what got me is a question i have been trying to ans for past 14 yrs but i still don't know for sure and i m still not a fantasy fan i tried lot of other writers later but no body really got my attention thomas covenant series by donaldson was nice both parts belgarion ts were nice and i guess harry potter thats just about it i guess for me the whole plot line was incredible so here are some reasons for me being hooked to series

1 incredible plot line

2 characterization

3 i think this is my fav whole Savior destroyer thing the man who is destined to  destroy the world is the only man who can save it may be only to destroy

it again

4 all the goose bump moments

5 growth of all the characters from naive villagers to what they have become

6 their struggle against what they are becoming and their resignation

7 way egwene remains obstinately stupid lol

8 yes the way RJ made us love and hate his characters

9 little things like gender bickering life styles e.t.c

10                    you 

i guess list can go on forever but bottom line is that i have loved this series right from very beginning for me which was tdr and i also love all of you because it was your message board which kept me going when i couldn't find rest of the series dragonmount was first wot related sight i ever visited so jason you your team and all of you wonderful people who has kept me going through lots of darkness through my life and i think no points for guessing that my wifey hates you all with a passion but thanks all of you

Ill give you the two girls. What about the forsaken. They are ment to be very nice

The list:

1. Lanfear - If she's paying attention to you, it's only because she's stalking you. She's the typical psycho ex-girlfriend.

2. Graendal - If you're attractive enough to get her attention, she's going to Compulsion you into a slobbering mess of Submissive manmeat (or girlmeat) Hot?

3. Moghedien - Afraid of commitment, afraid of... well, just about everything.

4. Semirhage - Foul-mouthed trull, and has a Sadism fetish. If you're into that, more power to ya.

5. Mesaana - Probably knows all sorts of kinky ter'angreal. Hmmm!

Archived