DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What hooked you?

redarm

What was it that hooked you with this series? Did you read through The Eye of the World before deciding to keep with it or did you know early on?  Did it grab you or sneak up on you?  

I think the prologue of EOTW was enough for me.  I don't know that I could have guessed what I was getting into but I'm glad I did.  The intensity of that first scene was it for me.

I have actually recommended to people that want to start reading the series with New Spring to read that opening first.  I think it really sets the tone for the entire series.  

Anyway, just curious how you all ended up being WOT people.

My first love was Lord of the Rings, but the best part of it for me was the backstory in the Silmarillion. I loved the thousand year (or whatever) history and how all of the "trouble" began, etc. WoT got me (as I have heard several others mention) in EotW prologue and even more in Moiraine's Manetheren speech in EotW in the village. Those points told me this would be an intricate, multifaceted series with alot of depth and detail...good times.

i don't really know when i decided to keep reading.

it's not so much one scene as the whole book. cause at the start of the book i was so damn confused about everything i had to keep going just to get some answers.

basically it was something like:

"wait, who is that guy in the destroyed room whit bodies? who's that other guy? did he just die, who is he? a wind in the mountain?

no, don't move on to the next scene, i wanna know more about the crasy guy.

what the hell is an Aes Sedai? was that the Dark One on the road already?"

etc

My first love was Lord of the Rings, but the best part of it for me was the backstory in the Silmarillion. I loved the thousand year (or whatever) history and how all of the "trouble" began, etc. WoT got me (as I have heard several others mention) in EotW prologue and even more in Moiraine's Manetheren speech in EotW in the village. Those points told me this would be an intricate, multifaceted series with alot of depth and detail...good times.

I think that speech set the hook that I had already swallowed. 

i don't really know when i decided to keep reading.

it's not so much one scene as the whole book. cause at the start of the book i was so damn confused about everything i had to keep going just to get some answers.

basically it was something like:

"wait, who is that guy in the destroyed room whit bodies? who's that other guy? did he just die, who is he? a wind in the mountain?

no, don't move on to the next scene, i wanna know more about the crasy guy.

what the hell is an Aes Sedai? was that the Dark One on the road already?"

etc

But all those questions are what got me, I think.  That and the tone set by RJ with his writing.  It was intense and dark and dramatic in a big way. I remember thinking DAMN! that was good.  I couldn't wait to see what it led to.  Now I know and that scene still gives me chills.

I didn't get hooked until the chapter "The Dark Along the Ways". Don't get me wrong, the prologue was like "Wow, this seems interesting", but the series didn't really give me "I definately have to finish this series"-feeling before the first encounter with Machin Shin. This might be because I stopped reading about halfway through the book a couple of years ago, and didn't pick it up again until two months ago. I guess I should have started at the beginning of the book again, but things kind of came back to me when I kept on reading.

I'm still working my way through "The Shadow Rising", but I can't even imagine stopping now :)

The first book didn’t really get me hooked as such; I was just like ‘what the hell might as well by the next’. It wasn’t until the characters stopped running so much and started to plan against the shadow that I was like yeah. Don’t get me wrong, I liked it...I just wasn’t hooked until later books.

Hmmm....

The main thing that hooked me to WoT was probably The Dark Tower series, strangly enough. The DT series was the first real series I read, and when that series stalled, I was looking for another. Someone I knew at school finally convinced me to try WoT. Looking back, nothing really hooked me in tEotW.

In fact, it was a pretty confusing novel to start out with. The plot is strong standalone, but it's still a little overwhelming for a first time reader(not to mention that wonky timeline on the Camlyn Road....). I don't think I got hooked until The Dragon Reborn. That's when Perrin(my favorite character) really started getting interesting. Plus, the bombshell that Ba'alzamon was actually Ishy was great. What hooked me on the series was definately the intricate plots, plot twists, and how it all comes together. I still think that is the strongest aspect of the series by far.

Do not remember when I got hooked to this series; nor the reason.

The first I gotten as a birthday gift.  Bought the others because I generally eventually buy the rest of a series when getting more or one of it.

Well, there was the prolouge, and Moiraine's Manetheren speach.

But for me, it was Thom's stand at Whitebridge, and Rand and Mat's flight down the Caemlyn Road bit.  That was just so awesome.  ;D

And then later, the end of the Great Hunt set the hook even deeper. 

I think what hooked me to the series was Shadar Logoth. I just loved the history and depth of that city and how evil it was. Also the language of Jordan was easy to read and he made all of his characters come to life and could really paint a scene so that I could see it in my head. The prologue lost me my first read. I had no idea what was going on. When Lews Therin "Traveled" I thought he got on a horse and rode it until he got there.  :P

Wait! And SUPER-DHUH on Me LOL!!!

I just said i don't remember one specific moment early that gripped me??? - HuH lol??

Only what remains to this day one of the coolest, scariest, freaky moments ever for me from EOTW (or any book ever)

Rand finally realized what it was that had been nagging at his mind about the man. Staring at Mordeth he was so shocked he said it aloud ''You don't have a shadow...''

The goblet fell from Mat's hand with a crash

One of the best passages anywhere

Fish

Amen to that Fisher that passage was badass.

I think the first time I read it the prologue to EotW intrigued me but I knew I was hooked after the first chapter and upon seeing Emond's Field. Loved it.

Actually, I read all the way to end of EoTW, and I just felt bad about Rand. I wanted to know what happened to him, whether he'd run off and save the day or fail. And all the crazy things that happened meant even cooler, crazier things in the sequels. Besides, I wanted the Creator to come back one more time and type in ALL CAPS like he did after Rand's battle with Aginor.

If we're still talking things that really Hooked us EARLY...A couple more for me:

1 Lan's total bada$$ery that one time when hes all like leaning against the door and on the other side of the room Padan Fain stabs at Moiraine's face with The Dagger and then like all of a sudden Lan is there holding Fain's wrist and The Dagger never touches Moiraine's face. He is a M-A-N.

2 In Book 2...Those portals Rnad went through that showed all those alternative lives and worlds...mindblowing...riveting...

Fish

TEOTW is still my favorite. I can't remember which chapter got me hooked, but it was early.  Every chapter in the first book was dynamite; from the flight from Emond's Field, Shadar Logoth, Whitebridge, Camelyn, the Ways, and others that have been mentioned.  The prologue really did stick with me.  I can remember reading along and flipping back to reread the prologue as it started to make more sense.

Fisher, I think it was Mat who tried to stab Moiraine and was stopped by Lan.

What was it that hooked you with this series? Did you read through The Eye of the World before deciding to keep with it or did you know early on?  Did it grab you or sneak up on you?  

I think the prologue of EOTW was enough for me.  I don't know that I could have guessed what I was getting into but I'm glad I did.  The intensity of that first scene was it for me.

I have actually recommended to people that want to start reading the series with New Spring to read that opening first.  I think it really sets the tone for the entire series.  

Anyway, just curious how you all ended up being WOT people.

Moraine got me. Still does :).

Archived