DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What do you admire about your least fav character?

Gracel

Ok, I've read so many rants about Faile and Elayne and Egwene and Gawyn and Perrin et blech, so I thought I'd ask people to look past the hate. Here's my question: who is your least favorite character, and what is one thing, in spite of everything else you hate about them, that you have to admit you actually admire? It can be a personality trait or a thing they did, and it can be more than one thing (though it might be hard enough to think of one).

I'll start:

I can't stand Berelain. I just don't understand why any woman would make a sport of laying claim to a married man, and the way she pursues Perrin is disgusting. Her whole personality is an anathema to me. BUT, I have to admit that I admire her unrelenting faith in serving the Dragon Reborn. Perhaps it's just because she saw that he would be fair to Mayene, but I really admire that she has stuck with him. She could have tried to grab power for herself in Cairhein, but instead she worked to help him govern the country. We haven't seen specific instances of it, but I get the impression she cares for her people and her country deeply.

Whew, that was hard! Anyone else up for the challenge? Remember, it has to be something you admire! A brief statement about why you hate the person is ok, but please don't turn this into another rant thread!

G

PS I really hate Gawyn, too, but I couldn't think of anything I admire about him. Maybe I will later.  :(

I'll start:

I can't stand Berelain. I just don't understand why any woman would make a sport of laying claim to a married man, and the way she pursues Perrin is disgusting. Her whole personality is an anathema to me. BUT, I have to admit that I admire her unrelenting faith in serving the Dragon Reborn. Perhaps it's just because she saw that he would be fair to Mayene, but I really admire that she has stuck with him. She could have tried to grab power for herself in Cairhein, but instead she worked to help him govern the country. We haven't seen specific instances of it, but I get the impression she cares for her people and her country deeply.

Whew, that was hard! Anyone else up for the challenge? Remember, it has to be something you admire! A brief statement about why you hate the person is ok, but please don't turn this into another rant thread!

G

PS I really hate Gawyn, too, but I couldn't think of anything I admire about him. Maybe I will later.  :(

I agree, Berelain is just plain annoying, but I do have to admit that for all her love infatuations(spelling??) she is pretty smart. I also think Gwayn is a dink. People who try to do everything right most often eventually do something they regret. I guess what I would admire about him though is that I have to give him kudos for trying to do what's right.

However, my least fav. character that isn't necessarily my least is Rand. I get fed up with his stupidity as to everyone is out to get me. It isn't everyone buddy. I do like the fact that he can use the power though. Makes it more interesting. Especially with Lews Therin and him having conversations.

I cant stand Egwene, never have been able to, and I think the way she became Amyrlin was almost as poor as the explanation for the origin of Shadar Logoths powers. Yes, I understand that Egwene was meant to be a figurehead, a puppet, yet I just thought it was such a crap way to bring her promotion about, and the way her PoV changed from paranoid figurehead to Amyrlin in charge seemed a bit too abrupt compared to most of the other development arcs.

At first and for a while I hated Egwene as Amyrlin just because it seemed so halfhearetdly explained.

Now though, I think she is beginning to show that she is worthy of the role. It pains me to say that because I still dont like her as a character, yet I am beginning to feel that Egwene is showing the early signs of a great Amyrlin, mostly because of her views on recruiting and bonding.

Another thing, WoT has some great female battle lineups. Moiraine vs Lanfear was great, Nynaeve vs Moghedien couldnt have fit any better, Cadsuane is well worthy of taking Semirhage down IMO. Recently, Egwene vs Mesaana is starting to look okay in my head, and deep down Im hot happy about it!

i can't stand berelain fr the same reasons.  women who go after men for sport is just disgusting...  but i admire that she doesn't give up, even afer faile kicks her arse and Rhurac has a nice "talk" with her

*huggles rhurac*

Elayne is apparently good in the bedroom.

I'll never understand how an 18 year old virgin who grew up in an extremely sheltered existence would be able to equal or surpass a girl who grew up in a tavern in a rough mining town and a girl who grew up in a society where pre-marital sex was absolutely fine, especially among her sorority - even considering the other two were technically virgins as well.

Beginner's luck I guess.

You missed the point of his post. To spell it out, rygar hates Elayne yet still admires her because shes good in bed. He probably likes Min and Aviendha so it wasnt appropriate to mention either of them in this thread. You know, where we say what we like about characters we dont like?

It was a joke.

I'm not sure what you're trying to acheive with this post? I'm fairly certain that he knows it was a joke and was merely commenting on it...

On topic

Sevanna, and the multitude of ways her bosom is described.

Interesting how females are dislking Berelain, I wonder why! *cough* rudewordquestioninghermoralcompassregardssexualintercourse *cough*

I hate Egwene with a passion.  She becomes steadily more annoying from her first mention to becoming Amyrlin and once she's Amyrlin I feel like burning my books every time I come upon a number of her chapters strung together.  In EotW she was okay, but as I said...shes always going downhill...

Two things to admire about her.  1.  I admire how she can blatantly abandon her morals to play at being special...that takes skill

and 2.  In KoD, I thought she had a cool role in captivity in the tower, although WHY they made her a novice instead of stilling her still bugs me.

I have quite a fair list of names regarding the characters I hate, but Egwene is probably #1...and most of the others have almost no redeeming traits (Gawyn...he has...long..legs?)

Mat is certainly up there for me...but I have a love/hate view of him, not a pure hatred like I do for Egwene :P.

Perrin. He has so much potential at the start, but just doesnt live up to the majority of it. Some of his aggression and command later is good but as mentioned in other threads, he is too obsessed with Faile, and I just get sick of it. Yes, its understandable that he counts the days until he sees his wife again.

I dont want to read about that.

I wanted more of him liking the axe before he switched to the hammer. I remember next to nothing of him liking the axe other than one or two casual not-seeming-to-like-it-that-much-at-all thoughts about it, and mention of what Elyas said about it, but come on! Liking the axe didnt even become a character flaw because he stopped himself early enough. For him, thats good, but for me THATS BAD!

What I dont mind about Perrin is the fact that he is more like his original self than either Rand or Mat. I dont mind the way he goes galavanting off to save his wife despite his importance, because this to me seems like he could potentially be driven to become a renegade Ta'veren. Who says the important cannot abandon their cause? Padan Fain went his own way when he became capable, for revenge reasons. Perrin seemed on the verge of forsaking the Light to save one person. That, I think, could have been built upon to make a really great Perrin plot line. More animal rage, a return of the axe, consideration of contacting Darkfriends... See? I admire his potential as a character in the early books, and for his determination in the later, I just think there could have been more and better in store for the Perrin-worshipping-Faile sideline. It should have had him literally on the brink of doing something stupid like arranging a Darkfriend job interview.

Narg. Sure, he eats people, helped almost kill Tam Al'Thor, smeared poop all over Rand's house, is a Trolloc.

But you have to respect him. He's smart.

Definitely! The only Trolloc we saw actually use its brain.

Two things to admire about her.  1.  I admire how she can blatantly abandon her morals to play at being special...that takes skill

I chortled.

I can't say that I hate any of the main characters fighting for the Light. But some of them have occasionally shown us some bad behaviour. I've also considered Cadsuane to be a little too... bossy, perhaps? Gawyn has been a little too fast in condemning Rand. Berelain shouldn't have tried to seduce/flirt with Perrin.

Some good qualities in the persons I mentioned above:

Cadsuane - She means well, despite her sternness. She has a lot of life experience, and she tries hard to make use of that for the benefit of the "big picture". She has an approach to life that could be useful in times of crisis. Little risk of her panicking, or letting others panic.

Gawyn - He's quick to take action and to lead others. So far mostly for the worse (of the Light), but he's young and inexperienced. He's the type of person that could potentially become the hero of the day, depending upon how things play out.

Berelain - She's a good ruler of Mayene. She's skilled in running a country and in avoiding trouble. She's got the loyalty of her people in return for her own loyalty.

There are other examples of bad behaviour. Not enough for me to "hate" any of the characters on the Light's side, though.

Narg. Sure, he eats people, helped almost kill Tam Al'Thor, smeared poop all over Rand's house, is a Trolloc.

But you have to respect him. He's smart.

Definitely! The only Trolloc we saw actually use its brain.

Two things to admire about her.  1.  I admire how she can blatantly abandon her morals to play at being special...that takes skill

I chortled.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Well as some of you may know I hate faile.

The only thing I can begrudge her is that she's intelligent enough to see what needs to be done and does it e.g. The prophet. She can play daes damar fairly well (being royalty and all.)

Didn't you already blow this spoiler for me in another thread? *cries* Hide it before others see it!

Archived