DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Are Fades Blademasters?

Lord Monty

One thing I'm wondering is how effective Perrin will be against Fades with a friggin' hammer?

As effective as a ton of bricks. Perrin is described as a thunderously powerful person and the hammer works just as well as an axe, I bet. Ok, so he doesn't sever limbs cleanly. To make up for that he rips them off with the hammer. In the end that works out just as well. And the shockwave from a crushing blow.. ouch! ;)

Just like to point out that KOD gives us a glimmer of how blademasters are named. They have to impress a panel of five existing blademasters or kill one in a swordfight. I doubt that a Fade could pass the panel, but one could definatelty acquire the heron by defeating a blademaster (just like Rand and Galad). Though why a Myddrall would bother with the title when they already have so many is beyond me.

Skill wise; a Myddrall may be a tough fight but I doubt they practice the forms or use those fancy stance names. Aren't their Shayol Ghol forged blades especially dangerous or something? I think that should qualify as cheating as far as the Blademaster title goes.

The blademaster title is irrelevant, only used as a comparison in this topic, what we want to know is the skill of fades. We know, or atleast can guess, that fades arent all identical judging by how they react when they are gonna get the wonder girls when they get trapped on their way to Tear. All 3 react in a different way when they feel saidar being channeled.

Can you imagine a Fade taking time out of it's busy day of raping and pillaging to do anything as mundane as practicing the sword? I just don't see it.

There are so many Fades that only a small amount are busy raping and pillaging the border at any one time, what do you think they do in their spare time other than prepare themselves to be better tools for the Dark One?

I think Fades are some way off the level of Blademasters. There aren't that many Blademasters around, and you do get the impression that most of them wouldn't struggle to defeat a Fade. Like someone said, a big part of the Fades' advantage comes from their look of fear, which some manage to ignore.

Was Ingtar a blademaster? I don't think so, but he seemed fairly confident of taking down a Fade in Fal Dara. I'm assuming he actually intended to (and indeed did) fight it.

Was Ingtar a blademaster? I don't think so, but he seemed fairly confident of taking down a Fade in Fal Dara. I'm assuming he actually intended to (and indeed did) fight it.

In the last chapters of the book he reveals that he is a darkfriend.  I take he like negotiated with the myrddraal.

Also; by the myrddraal's smile, I take it was Shaidar Haran which is different from other myrddraal in many ways.

In the last chapters of the book he reveals that he is a darkfriend.  I take he like negotiated with the myrddraal.

Also; by the myrddraal's smile, I take it was Shaidar Haran which is different from other myrddraal in many ways.

I'm well aware he was a Darkfriend. Which is why I added that I was assuming he actually fought with it. How would it look like to anyone walking in on him "negotiating" with a Fade? I think Ingtar was definitely already in his "hate himself for what he has become" stage, and would maybe have added incentive to take on a Fade.

I'm well aware he was a Darkfriend. Which is why I added that I was assuming he actually fought with it. How would it look like to anyone walking in on him "negotiating" with a Fade? I think Ingtar was definitely already in his "hate himself for what he has become" stage, and would maybe have added incentive to take on a Fade.

well, he did let the fade escape. there was no "negotioation" necessary, he could just tell him where to find Fain and let it go, takes just a few seconds. and if i remember it right there was non one closeby who could see him let it escape that wasn't already busy fighting trollocs.

question though: why does everyone think normal myrdraals are incapable of smiles?

wouldn't they atleast smirk if they find a helpless victim or something?

"ooh, a baby in a cradle, i'm gonna enjoy stabbing it *smile* "

You know, it just occured to me as I was reading TGH. Perrin and Rand both have had a lot more training then we think/know.

They expirienced at least a hundred lives when Rand wonked the stone to stone travel. We know specifically that Tam taught Rand the sword in one of those lives. He could have a lot more training then we know. Also, something I've been meaning to point out, Rand probably learned a lot faster then most because he already knew the flame and the void. That is something that probably takes a long time for novices to learn, but Rand already knew it, he just had to apply it.

We don't know what Perrin saw in those other lives, but he easily could have had plenty of training also.

You know, it just occured to me as I was reading TGH. Perrin and Rand both have had a lot more training then we think/know.

They expirienced at least a hundred lives when Rand wonked the stone to stone travel. We know specifically that Tam taught Rand the sword in one of those lives. He could have a lot more training then we know. Also, something I've been meaning to point out, Rand probably learned a lot faster then most because he already knew the flame and the void. That is something that probably takes a long time for novices to learn, but Rand already knew it, he just had to apply it.

We don't know what Perrin saw in those other lives, but he easily could have had plenty of training also.

I'm not so sure that they experienced those lives either, but if they did kudos to Rand for learning so much without our knowing really. RJ always has something up his sleeve.:)

I think they did actually live those lives, the writing does indicate that they did. Rand's PoV's are very condensed, but that seems to just be Jordan's way of not writing entire books about thier expirience :P

The book specifically says that "Tam taught him the sword", and he was clearly living that life....not just seeing it through the eyes of others. I don't see how he could not have gained the expirience of that training.

A thought occurs to me....could this also be why Rand seems to "just know" some things when channeling? But then why does he seem so clueless about so many other things?

Then again, it could just be a plot hole. I found it strange that none of the Sheinerians realized Rand was the Dragon Reborn after that expirience. In none of those lives they expirienced did they run into Rand as the DR?

Hmmm...now I am really intrigued...I wonder if Jordan ever answered any questions about it....

Yeah I think that it's like when the wise ones go through the rings at Rhuidean, they may have remembered some stuff for a while but on the whole they only keep a general impression of what happened.

I agree.  As I understand the rings in Rhuidean a person lives several lives, but detailed memories of those lives, for the most part, leave them.

As to fades being blademasters I would say that they definitely are not.  We know that they are physically more capable than humans, and so no one would be able to face them with a sword if their skill matched that of a blademaster.

Archived