DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Movie with the Best Soundtrack

Zashara

Well, there's a lot I can think of, but most recently I bought the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack. It's really great, so many good songs and just good instrumental tracks, too. I highly recommend it.

Seriously, even though the movie wasn't that good, the Twilight Soundtrack is AMAZING. I like every song on there, and that is saying something.

Another soundtrack that is great but the movie is terrible-- Simply Irresistible. GREAT Soundtrack.

Hmmm...Cruel Intentions, Great Expectations...all good soundtracks...

Well, there's a lot I can think of, but most recently I bought the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack. It's really great, so many good songs and just good instrumental tracks, too. I highly recommend it.

Ironically, I find that music as a bastardization of my culture's music! But I'm a picky bitch also.

Ironically, I find that music as a bastardization of my culture's music! But I'm a picky bitch also.

LOL I don't know much about Indian music, but I can see where it wouldn't really be a very good or true representation of it...a lot of it seems more...poppish, I guess? One of my favorite tracks, though, is Latika's Theme, which is purely instrumental. Or, well, not purely, but the one voice in it is really just sort of humming.

Gladiator. Hans Zimmer is awesome when it comes to film music.

This was my first thought, however, Hans Zimmer repeats himself way too much in all his major themes.  His themes have some originality, but elements of almost all other are present in all of them.  I've been on Pandora before and, not knowing what I'm listening to, thought it was Pirates of the Caribbean, only to find out it was Gladiator. 

I've listened to many soundtracks in my time.  Harry Gregson-Williams is decent, but not great.  Hans Zimmer is great, but repetitive.  Klaus Badelt did a terrific job on the first Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack, but I haven't heard much else by him.  James Horner is decent, but some tracks that aren't main theme with him sometimes aren't good at all.  Ennio Morricone is really good as well.

John Williams is always good, but sometimes I feel like he tries too hard and it affects his overall work in a negative way.

In my opinion Howard Shore is the best of the best when it comes to soundtracks.  His work on the Lord of the Rings Trilogy was simply fantastic, untouchable.

The Fellowship of the Ring was his best work.

Pulp Fiction.

I second this so hard

Also, Snatch has an amazing soundtrack, not orchestral though.

As far as orchestral scores go, I really love the one for The Dark Knight, the Lord of the Rings triology has some great music.

Howard Shore, really good, amazing work on the Rings triology

Hans Zimmer, nice in small doses, tends to repeat himself yeah.

Ennio Morricone, I think, is the greatest film composer of all time, I can listen to Ecstasy of Gold forever and ever and never grow tired.

Carter Burwell, I want to point out, did some amazing work on In Bruges, that soundtrack is pretty amazing to my ears.

Harr Gregson Williams I really love, but not for his movies BUT for his scores to the Metal Gear series which are so iconic to me and which I'll never, ever forget. Such beautiful and epic music.

um.

Clint Mansell does AMAZING soundtracks for all of Darren Aaronofsky's films, I mean, who hasn't heard the theme from Requiem for a dream? Also, The Fountain and Pi, both of which are magnificently scored by him.

Dario Marionelli did V for Vendetta, which has a good score.

Danny Elfman, of course, is really a big one. Everyone knows his batman score.

David Newman scored Serenity, which has such a good soundtrack, at least to me who's really attached to the film and the series. Some of those songs have the power to make me misty eyed. Also Greg Edmonson for scoring the Firefly series.

James Newton Howard, amazing for The Dark Knight, good in Michael Clayton and many other movies

Klaus Badelt, yeah, the score for the first pirates film is pretty awesome.

John Murphy did the score for Sunshine, which I really, really enjoyed.

Um.

John Powell scored the Bourne triology, at least one of 'em, and I think he did a really good job.

There will be blood! Amazing soundtrack by Johnny Greenwood of Radiohead. Just amazing. I remember seeing this at the cinema and going slack-jawed because of the awesomeness.

Kevin Riepl did Gears of War, also Steve Jablonsky for number 2 (not a movie, but bah!) which was pretty good.

Koh Otani did Shadow of the colossus, amazing soundtrack, so moving and epic in scale. Playing the game with his soundtrack booming out of the loudspeakers is just such an amazing experience.

Michael Giacchino, who scored Lost okay, did a good job on Star Trek, I felt.

Nick Cave & Warren Ellis, excellent score for The Assassination of Jessie James by the Coward Robert Ford

For final fantasy nerds, Nobuo Uematsu has to be mentioned, as his body of work on the final fantasy series is just awe inspiring.

Ooshima Michiru scored Full Metal Alchemist, so good. !

A.R Rahman who did most of the slumdog millionaire score did an amazing job on that, even though I felt The Wrestler by Bruce Springsteen was snubbed of an oscar nom

The soundtrack for Atonement was also really good, can't remember who it's scored by. Ah, Dario Marionelli. Yeah, amazing work.

Tyler Bates score for 300 was pretty epic, the one for Watchmen was ok.

Ooh, ooh, Yann Tiersen did awesome for Ámelie, awesome, awesome french film, go see it now please.

And that's what I've got for now

As you might've guessed, I'm a huge nerd for movie scores. I love them so.

Oh yeah, O Brother where art thou has some amazing stuff, I listen to it almost on a daily basis : p

Star wars, yeah awesome

Also, The Matrix has a pretty kickass soundtrack

I forgot about the Matrix.  Don Davis did a great job with that movie

La double-vie de Veronique

Troix Colouers - Bleu

Both soundtracks are by Zbigniew Preisner.

Les Temps des Gitans

Goran Bregovics masterpiece.

Any movie with soundtrack by Morricone, the greatest movie-composer ever.

If we go by more popular music,

Hedwig & The Angry Inch

This Is England

Lost In Translation

LOL I don't know much about Indian music, but I can see where it wouldn't really be a very good or true representation of it...a lot of it seems more...poppish, I guess? One of my favorite tracks, though, is Latika's Theme, which is purely instrumental. Or, well, not purely, but the one voice in it is really just sort of humming.

Yeah its not a good representation of Hindi Music, at least thats what I think. I get extremely picky about my Hindi movie soundtracks - some of the best are the old ones. I have a special place in my heart for Dil Se and Tall - hated both the movies, loved the soundtracks.

The Matrix, LOTR: Fellowship, and The New Batman Movies have awesome soundtracks. I'll have to rumage through my collection and see.

I didn't care for the Twilight soundtrack.  Then again, I didn't really listen because that would mean actually hearing the tripe that the actors were spewing forth.  Nope, I spent the entire time doing a live version of Mystery Science Theater 3000.  Had most all the guys laughing and had all the girlfriends who had dragged the guys to the movie irate.

The original Star Wars scores kicked the ever-loving crap out of the new ones, but the new scores did have some awesome moments, specifically Duel of the Fates, Across the Stars, and Duel of the Heroes.  Other than that, I didn't care for the new scores that much.

Hans Zimmer is a great one for individual themes.  I'd compare him to Wagner and his leitmotifs, but that would be giving him too much credit.

I'd mention Nobuo Uematsu's score for Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children as a possibility, but he really didn't need to compose much for that.  He's better off being judged in a Best Video Game Soundtrack discussion.

...  You know, now that I think about it, I've got it.

John Williams' score for 'The Cowboys', starring John Wayne.  Probably the best moment in the soundtrack is the part that Williams didn't write music for, the silence when John Wayne's character is killed.  You can say what you want about scoring a movie, but the parts that are silent are just as important as the epic-style scores.  Even if you discount the silence, the music throughout the entire movie is amazing, from the opening theme to the little variations of minor themes throughout.

I didn't care for the Twilight soundtrack.  Then again, I didn't really listen because that would mean actually hearing the tripe that the actors were spewing forth.  Nope, I spent the entire time doing a live version of Mystery Science Theater 3000.

Yeah, same with Demi. The music is not the movie. It's actually really good, if you listen to it by itself. :P

Archived